Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Ah they probably did. Just nice to get back to 11 lads bursting themselves and being dour and hard to beat. Who knew you could miss that? O'Dowda did well, always looking forward, you could see the goal meant a lot to O'Brien. Pity they managed to equalise.
I thought he looked really good against Wales. Granted that's the only time I've ever seen him play if I recall correctly, but he looked like a very promising player.

I'm a fan of his and Daryl Horgan as far as the current Ireland squad goes.

Champagne Football

Declan Rice put in a MOTM performance in defensive midfield for West Ham in an impressive away win at Everton today. Christ he'd form a tasty central midfield pairing with Shaun Williams with Hendrick further forward in a midfield 3 if he decides to come back. We'll get on without him if he switches to England. There's a lack of leaders in the current Ireland team. Duffy and McClean not bad but not really leaders. Rice is a leader.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Declan Rice put in a MOTM performance in defensive midfield for West Ham in an impressive away win at Everton today. Christ he'd form a tasty central midfield pairing with Shaun Williams with Hendrick further forward in a midfield 3 if he decides to come back. We'll get on without him if he switches to England. There's a lack of leaders in the current Ireland team. Duffy and McClean not bad but not really leaders. Rice is a leader.
Yeah, Rice and Doherty both with stand out performances today....Doherty's accompanied by an interview in the Times outlining his frustrations with the Ireland set up. Hard to avoid the feeling that we're not making the most of the little that we have.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
How is a grandad or grandmother obscure? Ffs :lol:
Maybe other family members were standing in front of them in all the photographs? They could be slightly blocked or obscured in each one and it confused the OP.

Brophs

The One and Only
Colin Young is usually reliable on this sort of stuff. Separately, Jason 'ask me about Roy Keane' McAteer claims Rice was present for the Keane v Arter confrontation and that played a big part in his decision. Not as if he has an axe to grind with Keane, or anything.

As has been said elsewhere, though, if witnessing that sort of thing is enough to make him turn his back on what was, up to that point, the country he'd chosen to represent, then it suggests he was never for the long road anyway.

brian017

My opinion is if this was the early/mid 00's when England where stocked up on WC defenders/midfielders like Ferdinand, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes et al then him and Jack would have declared for Ireland. If they don't want to play for the shirt, let them off

lsd

The Oracle
Midfielders are pointless to Ireland anyway with hoofball tactics O Neill uses .

Rice would never get a touch of the ball

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
O'Neill coming out with some fairly daft stuff this week... McClean is "not right in the head" but in a good way :confused:, we're short of technical ability and everyone knows it...

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/201...is-not-right-in-the-head-but-he-is-brilliant/
In context those quotes are fine. Wanting to get an injection to play a game 24 hours after breaking his wrist for the McLean quote and the short of technical ability stuff is objectively, factually accurate. The weakest Irish squad - in terms of individual talent - of my lifetime (probably my dad’s lifetime too)

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
In context those quotes are fine. Wanting to get an injection to play a game 24 hours after breaking his wrist for the McLean quote and the short of technical ability stuff is objectively, factually accurate. The weakest Irish squad - in terms of individual talent - of my lifetime (probably my dad’s lifetime too)
Not exactly revolutionary man-management though, is it? Yer all crap and yer man is a header. *shrug shoulders*

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not exactly revolutionary man-management though, is it? Yer all crap and yer man is a header. *shrug shoulders*
Context is everything. Yer all crap (but you make up for that with your 100% commitment) and yer man is a header (too brave for his own good)

He’s also saying nothing the players aren’t acutely aware of already. We are crap and McLean is a header!

Champagne Football

Right now?! When was it last high?
If you look at posts from a while back on here and on other Ireland football forums, his name was the one being thrown about as the guy to take over from Martin and save the national team south of the border with his attractive brand of football.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If you look at posts from a while back on here and on other Ireland football forums, his name was the one being thrown about as the guy to take over from Martin and save the national team south of the border with his attractive brand of football.
Oops. Sorry! Read “Michael” as “Martin” and got confused! The fact that ROI haven’t lost 3 on the bounce should really have been a clue...

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
MON saying he wants them to go out and be comfortable on the ball and show we can play this game. Feck off ye bellend, you'll be telling them to hoof it and bypass the midfield as always.

And apparently complaining about the dimensions of the pitch. Our home pitch. Baffling.

Vadim

This is the worst Ireland team/players/manager I can remember and I’m old.

Really depressing times for FAI.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I think I'm so used to the garbage that I thought that was actually pretty decent.

My problem is still that just a few years ago we had an entire starting XI of PL players and we refuse to even attempt a pass against poor opposition like Georgia and Cyprus. Play hoofball against top teams sure but we've played shite ineffective football even against weak teams.

Christie should definitely have scored that as well.

Still ill

Jaysus. Between Jose and Martin, these are tough times for a seasoned follower of the allegedly beautiful game. I have rarely been less arsed about football.

Champagne Football

Jaysus. Between Jose and Martin, these are tough times for a seasoned follower of the allegedly beautiful game. I have rarely been less arsed about football.
My feelings entirely and those of many in Ireland these days. So switched off from both teams right now that all I think about these days is who Utd might sign in January and what kids or granny rule players might be out there for Ireland in a bid to deflect away from my suffering.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Ditto. I was at the game and by far the best moment of the night was a paper aeroplane that managed a gloriously stable flight from the upper tier to right behind Randolph’s goal. We are fecking rubbish.

Last edited:

Makeitso

Just back from the game one word - woegous! (Shit for any non Irish looking in) O'Neill out now!!!

Still ill

I think we've finally reached that almost mythical point, where we've actually got nothing left to lose. We play shit football, we've feck all in the way of talent and we're not winning. I'd say there'd be a real appetite among the Irish football fraternity to take a punt on a lesser name manager who'll try to be a bit braver and try passing to each other.

Red00012

Beaten by a bunch of kids, get o neill out before the euro qualifiers start .

Champagne Football

If anyone thinks Delaney is going to cough up an astronomical severance pack to O'Neill and Keane so that he can replace them with Stephen Kenny or Mick McCarthy to play more attractive football is living in gaga land. Basically the job is to take a team about the level of Bristol City and turn them into a team that can mix it with premier league teams without being able to sign new players.

O'Neill and Keane will see better days because their methods can beat a Germany or an Italy once in a blue moon with hoof ball and a bit of luck. With the current crop of players we have I think that's the best we can do right now. But it's an absolute certainty that O'Neill and Keane will be gone after the next campaign and despite it not being easy on the eye they have managed to bring a fighting mentality back to the jersey that has been missing since Mick McCarthy quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.