Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champagne Football

We'll see better days with the likes of Maguire, McClean, Long, James McCarthy back. Hopefully Rice back. Bizarre Matt Doherty not getting a run. Cyrus Christie will never be good enough.

We have a painfully average squad. Wales on another level with the talent they have coming through to play alongside Bale. Not really O'Neills fault we don't have a single top 4 or champions league player

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Two of United's top three U16 prospects are Irish-Nigerian. You guys better cap them quickly for your own sake.

Name Changed

weso26
We'll see better days with the likes of Maguire, McClean, Long, James McCarthy back. Hopefully Rice back. Bizarre Matt Doherty not getting a run. Cyrus Christie will never be good enough.
Why would Rice declare for Ireland after seeing that? He would be mad to.

It's outrageous that Matt Doherty isn't playing.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think Daryl Horgan could potentially be Ireland's most in form player at the minute. Was hoping he'd start last night.

Lookatu

So hard to watch Ireland at the moment.

The squad lacks quality yes, but the football or lack of trying to actually keep it is the real problem.

O'Neill is stuck in the past, we needed pace and movement to trouble Ashley Williams and an extremely inexperienced backline last night, instead he Plays Walters - a man who in form for stoke wasn't even a lone striker and is older than Williams.

I saw the team sheets before the game and still couldn't figure out who played central midfield for us and that's becoming the norm.
Throw Arter and McCarthy in there instead and the only difference is we smash the ball over their heads for 90 minutes.

The tactics are septic, the squad selection is names from a hat stuff and the manager is 10 years past his sell by date.

O'Neill needs to go now, 9 goals conceded in the last two competitive matches and I'd be surprised if we strung 5 passes together in either game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: golden_blunder

Classical Mechanic

Does Ampadu highlight the failings of the Irish FA?

He has a very mixed heritage with his dad being born in Bradford to an Irish mother and Ghanian father. His dad moved to Ireland as a small boy and was brought up there. His dad represented Ireland at u21 level.

Ethan Ampadu was born and raised in England but his mother is Welsh.

He started with England but accepted a call to Wales, said he preferred it and stayed with them.

Where were the Irish FA in all this, was he approached at all?

Brophs

The One and Only
Does Ampadu highlight the failings of the Irish FA?

He has a very mixed heritage with his dad being born in Bradford to an Irish mother and Ghanian father. His dad moved to Ireland as a small boy and was brought up there. His dad represented Ireland at u21 level.

Ethan Ampadu was born and raised in England but his mother is Welsh.

He started with England but accepted a call to Wales, said he preferred it and stayed with them.

Where were the Irish FA in all this, was he approached at all?
From memory, I think I read on YBIG that all of the countries he's eligible for made a play for him, but he identified most with his Welsh heritage and made the decision on that basis. In which case, no fault and it was the right decision for him.

Brophs

The One and Only
Why would Rice declare for Ireland after seeing that? He would be mad to.

It's outrageous that Matt Doherty isn't playing.
O'Neill has always been pretty indifferent to Doherty, for whatever reason.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
MON is shite and plays shite football. We should rebuild the whole setup but of course we'll do nothing.
He's suceeded everywhere he's been bar Sunderland (where noone has in 20 years).
He has zero to work with in your squad.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He's suceeded everywhere he's been bar Sunderland (where noone has in 20 years).
He has zero to work with in your squad.
We had a team full of PL players and he got us played off the park by Georgia. feck off with the doesn't have any players. He plays garbage football, end of.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This is certainly the least talented collection of Irish players I've seen in my lifetime and, looking at the names in teams from before I was congnisant of football, probably the least talented collection in quite a number of decades.

It may well be time for O'Neill to go and maybe another manager will try to get us playing better football. That manager will be doing insanely well to get the same results O'Neill has though. Getting out of the group stages in one major tournament and beating more talented Austrian + Welsh sides to a qualifying tie we lose to a more talented Danish side? That's a big overachievment for this group of players. We are properly, properly shite.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We had a team full of PL players and he got us played off the park by Georgia. feck off with the doesn't have any players. He plays garbage football, end of.

I'm sure some genius will be able to do great things with your wonderful squad. :wenger:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is certainly the least talented collection of Irish players I've seen in my lifetime and, looking at the names in teams from before I was congnisant of football, probably the least talented collection in quite a number of decades.

It may well be time for O'Neill to go and maybe another manager will try to get us playing better football. That manager will be doing insanely well to get the same results O'Neill has though. Getting out of the group stages in one major tournament and beating more talented Austrian + Welsh sides to a qualifying tie we lose to a more talented Danish side? That's a big overachievment for this group of players. We are properly, properly shite.
It's like a section of the Aston Villa fans all over again. 6th three years in a row, and despite years and years of failure after that, and now championship football, they just put it down to him having "Loads" of money, and then try and smear all the players he signed.

Await a new manager, and then see what marvels he produces...or more likely, doesn't.

lsd

The Oracle
He should never have got the job . His style of football is outdated and just doesn't work anymore,which when you have no plan b is a recipe for disaster .

Teams play quick passing high pressing football now not O Neill's hoofball and it was embarrassing how easily Wales destroyed us

The excuse of bad players doesn't cut it either plenty of countries have worse players than us but perform better because they play better football . Some of them even seem to practice passing I guess . God forbid we do that

Champagne Football

I just don't see any new manager who could come in and play attractive football with McClean, Long, Walters and O'Dowda up front.

A possession based manager would try to entice Liam Kelly into the fold. No guarantee's he's good enough though. What would a possession based line up even look like?
---------Randolph
Coleman------Rice----Duffy----Clark---Doherty
-------Hendrick---Liam Kelly-----Brady
--------------Maguire-----Long-------?

POF

Completely agree. O'Neill should definitely be sacked and replaced by Guardiola. When Pep missed out on Jorginho it's widely known that his first choice was David Meyler and he's been trying to sign Shane Long for years.

It would be an honour for him to work with this group of Irish players.

Name Changed

weso26
O'Neill has always been pretty indifferent to Doherty, for whatever reason.
It's very odd Brophs. He is playing regularly for a very good Wolves team whilst Christie struggles to play for a lesser team. Doherty is a far better player in my opinion.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
As much of a legend on the pitch Keane was, one of my idols, he is a very difficult many to work with for sure. He's so stubborn there is no coming back from any argument - however big or small. May even come across as very bitter. I don't thick he is of the correct temperament to be a coach or anything higher. With the limited panel we have available, it would be for the best if he would just feck off in all honesty.

Nick7

Keane needs to go. O'Neill should too if you ask me but Keane needs to go.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I just don't see any new manager who could come in and play attractive football with McClean, Long, Walters and O'Dowda up front.

A possession based manager would try to entice Liam Kelly into the fold. No guarantee's he's good enough though. What would a possession based line up even look like?
---------Randolph
Coleman------Rice----Duffy----Clark---Doherty
-------Hendrick---Liam Kelly-----Brady
--------------Maguire-----Long-------?
I’d have Horgan or Curtis in that front line for their pace

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Would be an utter joke if Ward got in trouble for that. It'll definitely happen.
Ward should be in trouble for his performances anyways.

Keane is a mentalist though. How anyone could read his second book (which is brilliantly honest) and think he should be managing is beyond me. I love the guy but he's clearly far too headstrong to be trusted with any sort of responsibility. I imagine he's seriously unpopular with the players. Walters doesn't deserve that shit.

Lookatu

To the few saying it's the best Ireland can hope for and haven't got the players.
I assume you have actually been paying attention to International football of late and have seen what teams like Iceland and Wales have been doing with extremely small talent pools and mostly lower league footballers in their ranks.

Don't be as small minded as to think that professional football players can not master the art of passing a ball and moving for it just because they don't play for a champions league club.

Northern Ireland actually play a decent brand of football with a far inferior quality player.
They made a more respectable showing in the World Cup qualifiers last time out and sit above us in the Fifa rankings too.

It's not O'Neil doing the best job with what he has, it's more of a case of sticking to his dated brand of football while digging up players like Doyle, Walters, Meyler, Murphy, O'Shea, Forde who still want to play it.
Thankfully most had the grace to retire as I'm fairly sure they'd all be picked if still available.

We have a strong history in this country of doing really well at youth levels and playing a good brand of football doing so, but for some reason at senior international level we hire managers that underestimate our own technical abilities and revert to type.

I may be slated for this but the style of football Big Jack introduced was an insult to the players he had at his disposal (Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Leeds players in their droves) and in the 28 years since Italia 90 I don't think we've moved away from it.

Giggs played 17 year olds the other night that looked more composed and experienced than anyone in green (White and Green).

Lads at Leinster Senior and Amateur Football level in this country don't hoof the ball for 90 minutes, it's embarrassing to watch our National first team do it.

Reactions: golden_blunder

lsd

The Oracle
To the few saying it's the best Ireland can hope for and haven't got the players.
I assume you have actually been paying attention to International football of late and have seen what teams like Iceland and Wales have been doing with extremely small talent pools and mostly lower league footballers in their ranks.

Don't be as small minded as to think that professional football players can not master the art of passing a ball and moving for it just because they don't play for a champions league club.

Northern Ireland actually play a decent brand of football with a far inferior quality player.
They made a more respectable showing in the World Cup qualifiers last time out and sit above us in the Fifa rankings too.

It's not O'Neil doing the best job with what he has, it's more of a case of sticking to his dated brand of football while digging up players like Doyle, Walters, Meyler, Murphy, O'Shea, Forde who still want to play it.
Thankfully most had the grace to retire as I'm fairly sure they'd all be picked if still available.

We have a strong history in this country of doing really well at youth levels and playing a good brand of football doing so, but for some reason at senior international level we hire managers that underestimate our own technical abilities and revert to type.

I may be slated for this but the style of football Big Jack introduced was an insult to the players he had at his disposal (Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Leeds players in their droves) and in the 28 years since Italia 90 I don't think we've moved away from it.

Giggs played 17 year olds the other night that looked more composed and experienced than anyone in green (White and Green).

Lads at Leinster Senior and Amateur Football level in this country don't hoof the ball for 90 minutes, it's embarrassing to watch our National first team do it.

Exactly absolute nonsense to say we don't have the players to play decent football when so many other teams do just that with the same quality of player .

The problem is not the players it's the coaching .If O Neill was in charge if Barcelona or Man City he would still be playing the same boring hoof ball

Champagne Football

Don't be as small minded as to think that professional football players can not master the art of passing a ball and moving for it just because they don't play for a champions
Any managerial suggestions that are realistic? Brendan Rodgers would be nice but definitely not realistic.

The likes of Allardyce and Pulis are brought in to save smaller clubs falling into obscurity. Nearly always they rescue the club and then a year or two down the road fans get bored with hoof ball and they're on their bike again. That's what Ireland did. We were so poor for so long that we brought in a manager to stop the rot. It mostly worked as results have improved considerably even if it's not pretty on the eye.

They've earned the right to get one more campaign seem as no other realistic contenders have emerged. But I'd be interested to hear realistic suggestions who play the right way as I can't think of any? I would say no to Stephen Kenny as the job was too big for Kerr who was a league of Ireland sensation also. Mick McCarthy would probably get the job but not sure he's a huge upgrade on O'Neill in terms of style and he had an unbelievable squad to work from last time loaded with Champions League level stars like Roy Keane, Finnan, Duff, Given, Robbie Keane, Harte, Gary Kelly etc Then Niall Quinn, Richard Dunne, Steven Reid also. All first names on premier league teamsheet for their respective teams.

Last edited:

Lookatu

Any managerial suggestions that are realistic? Brendan Rodgers would be nice but definitely not realistic.

The likes of Allardyce and Pulus are brought in to save smaller clubs falling into obscurity. Nearly always they rescue the club and then a year or two down the road fans get bored with hoof ball and they're on their bike again. That's what Ireland did. We were so poor for so long that we brought in a manager to stop the rot. It mostly worked as results have improved considerably even if it's not pretty on the eye.

They've earned the right to get one more campaign seem as no other realistic conyenders have emerged. But I'd be interested to hear realistic suggestjons who play the right way as I can't think of any?
There is definitely a shortage of stand out candidates but in my opinion someone like Stephen Kenny would come in and make a change to how we set up for games immediately.

The FAI will be reluctant to take a gamble on him though so I'd imagine the best we can hope for is someone like Chris Coleman (If he would he be so kind to leave that Chinese crowd)
Might just be the job to get him back on track too and from what I saw with Fulham and Wales he isn't a massive fan of the punt

Last edited:

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
We'd have to hit bottom for Delaney to take a punt on Kenny or aanyone else with a similar profile. Maybe that's what we need. The tantalising possibility of qualification gives us licence to be cowardly and negative in our decision making, go with low risk strategy on and off the pitch. We need to clear the decks and start again. I just read that only THREE of our last u21 squad were born in Ireland. That can't be right, can it? We're in the shit at the moment, no doubt.

Champagne Football

There is definitely a shortage of stand out candidates but in my opinion someone like Stephen Kenny would come in and make a change to how we set up for games immediately.

The FAI will be reluctant to take a gamble on him though so I'd imagine the best we can hope for is someone like Chris Coleman (If he would he be so kind to leave that Chinese crowd)
Might just be the job to get him back on track too and from what I saw with Fulham and Wales he isn't a massive fan of the punt
Chris Coleman not a bad shout. Will probably be between himself and Mick when O'Neill and Keane call time.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
We won’t sack O’Neill and Keane - we don’t have 4mill to spare to pay off their contracts. Stuck with them I fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.