g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Absolutely. Players should be playing for the country they identify with most. Plus I didn’t think his comments previously were unequivocal. He was careful to say “there’s no decision to be made” which people took as him saying the decision was already made, rather than, as it now seems, that England hadn’t made a play at that point and the entire discussion was hypothetical.
Also, we're shite at football.

cyberman

No problem with it, just don't use us as a standby option in case you don't get what you want. Just be wary of the 2/3 caps to have you as a squad player strat.
You either want to play for England or you don't.

Nick7

Shouldn't be considered for selection again, is my view. Same as Liam Kelly. If they're turning down call ups they obviously don't identify with Ireland over England.

Brophs

The One and Only
I saw someone say on Twitter that he changed agents earlier in the summer, with the suggestion being that that may have had something to do with it.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Jaysus, the bloody state of that squad. We're just getting worse and worse. At least we used to have bottom PL players, we're just a bunch of average Championship players now. Going to be some absolute dire football. We need a complete overhaul.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No issue with someone taking time to decide who they want to play for. It's entirely possible to feel both English & Irish, as well as being happy to play for either or both of England and Ireland. You don't have to identify with one over the other to play for one over the other. People make these choices for all sorts of reasons.

Also, realistically, being an England international will probably see you earn more money in your career. Which is bound to be a consideration if you're happy to play for either team anyway.

As long as players play like they're committed once they are committed, I don't care.

dbs235

Rice getting stick here. Ironic that McLean changed which nationality he wanted to represent...

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I dont have an issue with him switching. I wonder did seeing England do well in the world cup tilt a balance for him. I remember playing GAA in London and talking with a lad who was a super soccer player and playing midfield in our GAA team. He was gas and said he loved Gaelic football but he would love to play a GAA match for England against Ireland. It's very possible to love Ireland and all things Irish but to be English at heart.

We should be investing in our youth set up and improving our domestic league rather than worrying about this.

Nick7

I dont have an issue with him switching. I wonder did seeing England do well in the world cup tilt a balance for him. I remember playing GAA in London and talking with a lad who was a super soccer player and playing midfield in our GAA team. He was gas and said he loved Gaelic football but he would love to play a GAA match for England against Ireland. It's very possible to love Ireland and all things Irish but to be English at heart.

We should be investing in our youth set up and improving our domestic league rather than worrying about this.
I agree with this. We shouldn't have to want or depend English / British players declaring for us to have a competitive team. The lack of proper investment in the LOI and youth coaching here should be a much more pressing issue.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I agree with this. We shouldn't have to want or depend English / British players declaring for us to have a competitive team. The lack of proper investment in the LOI and youth coaching here should be a much more pressing issue.
Yes the money taken in from the success of Euro qualification should be invested in the league and coaching. If we need to get experts over then we should invest. Looking at the Croatian or Uruguayan successful set ups may be an option. They have similar populations to us but just seem to produce better ballers at the moment. I hope we can turn this one around but the lack of young players coming through is scary plus the top English clubs are less willing to blood young Irish/English players as it's too much of a risk. What we need is a recession! :angel:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yes the money taken in from the success of Euro qualification should be invested in the league and coaching. If we need to get experts over then we should invest. Looking at the Croatian or Uruguayan successful set ups may be an option. They have similar populations to us but just seem to produce better ballers at the moment. I hope we can turn this one around but the lack of young players coming through is scary plus the top English clubs are less willing to blood young Irish/English players as it's too much of a risk. What we need is a recession! :angel:
It might get harder for young Irish players to go to England post brexit. They’ll require a work permit and under the rules some of them might not qualify. On the flip side it could mean more of the lads staying in Ireland

cyberman

It might get harder for young Irish players to go to England post brexit. They’ll require a work permit and under the rules some of them might not qualify. On the flip side it could mean more of the lads staying in Ireland
But wouldn't we want them over in England receiving better coaching?
GAA is the primary sport in Ireland, thats where our athletes are.
No amount of investment can change that.

padzilla

Hipster

Rice getting stick here. Ironic that McLean changed which nationality he wanted to represent...
I don't think McClean ever changed who he wanted to play for? People from the Nationalist community in the north tend not to follow Northern Ireland and identify themselves as Irish and not Northern Irish, but because they are born north of the border at underage level they have to declare for Northern Ireland until they reach senior levels. Same way Ryan Giggs played underage football for England while being Welsh. It's a bit of a mess and would be solved by one team for the whole island like in rugby but that's never going to happen given how entrenched the divisions are sadly.

dbs235

I don't think McClean ever changed who he wanted to play for? People from the Nationalist community in the north tend not to follow Northern Ireland and identify themselves as Irish and not Northern Irish, but because they are born north of the border at underage level they have to declare for Northern Ireland until they reach senior levels. Same way Ryan Giggs played underage football for England while being Welsh. It's a bit of a mess and would be solved by one team for the whole island like in rugby but that's never going to happen given how entrenched the divisions are sadly.
You don't have to wait until you're at senior level to play for another country's under-age teams. Giggs played for England schoolboys which isn't the same as the England underage teams.

limerickcitykid

You're right that McClean never had any intention to play for Northern Ireland's senior team. He simply used the Northern Ireland youth teams to further his career and exposure.

As dbs235 says though, the rest of what you say is incorrect. He didn't have to declare for the North at any age group and could have played for Ireland from the start but it's obviously a lot easier to be noticed by the Northern Ireland set up when you are playing club football in the North. And Giggs played underage football for Wales. He played schoolboys for England which has nothing to do with nationality at all, just what school you attend.

padzilla

Hipster
You're right that McClean never had any intention to play for Northern Ireland's senior team. He simply used the Northern Ireland youth teams to further his career and exposure.

As dbs235 says though, the rest of what you say is incorrect. He didn't have to declare for the North at any age group and could have played for Ireland from the start but it's obviously a lot easier to be noticed by the Northern Ireland set up when you are playing club football in the North. And Giggs played underage football for Wales. He played schoolboys for England which has nothing to do with nationality at all, just what school you attend.
Fair enough I stand corrected. Just wondering though are Ireland allowed to scout young players in the north's youth set-ups to get them to declare for them. I mean is it not a jurisdictional thing? Rice is a bit different though in that he has played for the full Irish team (sounds like a breakfast). Bit cynical to take the caps, ahead of other players who genuinely want to play for Ireland.

Nick7

Rugby ain't doing too badly.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Spot on!

edgar allan

True, but most GAA clubs makes you choose a sport early on, I don't think rugby clubs do?
That's not really true, many play both sports at youth level. Once you get to county level at GAA, the training commitment makes it nearly impossible to play both.

limerickcitykid

Fair enough I stand corrected. Just wondering though are Ireland allowed to scout young players in the north's youth set-ups to get them to declare for them. I mean is it not a jurisdictional thing? Rice is a bit different though in that he has played for the full Irish team (sounds like a breakfast). Bit cynical to take the caps, ahead of other players who genuinely want to play for Ireland.
Yes they can scout them if they want. They are Irish citizens and have every right to play for Ireland.

Most of what he said is factually incorrect so it's not really spot on.

POF

In the not too distant future you could have Keane and Rice (2 Ireland underage internationals) as the England centre back pairing.

England has probably been the most successful country in underage football in recent years. It shows how great the player development is in Ireland when England have to poach Ireland's players . . . . .

John Delaney keep it up. You're doing an amazing job!

cyberman

That's not really true, many play both sports at youth level. Once you get to county level at GAA, the training commitment makes it nearly impossible to play both.
But its the county level players im really talking about, nobody really cares if Im fecking about in both sports!
We have 15 year olds up here playing in 3 different age groups in GAA, they're already over worked in 1 sport so are made to choose (by soccer clubs as well to be fair)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
absolutely you would but they need to go very early - not later like Horgan going to Preston fir example as they might not get a visa

Champagne Football

When you see how Smalling and Jones performed the other week it's no wonder Southgate is doing all he can to get Rice.

Matt Doherty and Sean Maguire only players out there who look like they can make the step up. Hendrick, Brady and Arter will probably be the midfield 3 but Arter is pants so anyone know if James McCarthy back anytime soon?

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
How so what? That what he said isn't factually correct? Well first Giggs never played for England youth national teams, he was never even eligible to play for them. And kids in the north don't have to declare for the north at youth level. So, yea half his post contains points which aren't true.
On the two points that you made, this is what he said 'Ryan Giggs played underage football for England while being Welsh', Giggs played for England at schoolboy level and he even captained them, so what how is what he said not true?

Secondly, on his other point, which you also claim is untrue, 'People from the Nationalist community in the north tend not to follow Northern Ireland and identify themselves as Irish and not Northern Irish, but because they are born north of the border at underage level they have to declare for Northern Ireland until they reach senior levels.', He is partly correct in what he is saying, and I will tell you why. If you are born in the north you are most likely playing for a local side under the IFA's jurisdiction, and therefore will be known within their system. If you are talented, you will be approached to play at schoolboy level possibly even fast tracked through the under age levels. To represent them you will need to declare for them, which most will do especially if they aspire to be professionals, and why wouldn't they do this? (but granted, this is a different debate). The FAI most likely won't know who they are yet, and won't get the chance to represent the Republic at schoolboy level due to lack of exposure to the FAI. It's a debatable point but not untrue!

So most of what he said in my opinion is spot on, maybe could have been worded a little better, but I'll stand my ground and reconfirm that I completely agree with what he said.

Last edited:

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Only eight Premier League players in the squad for the upcoming games.

Has to be the worst squad we've had in decades?

Red00012

We are going to find it hard to qualify for major tournaments for the foreseeable future unfortunately .

Green_Red

In the not too distant future you could have Keane and Rice (2 Ireland underage internationals) as the England centre back pairing.

England has probably been the most successful country in underage football in recent years. It shows how great the player development is in Ireland when England have to poach Ireland's players . . . . .

John Delaney keep it up. You're doing an amazing job!
Thats a joke isnt it?

limerickcitykid

Easily, that squad is trash. At least before it was mainly low PL players with a couple bigger names like Robbie Keane, O'Shea or Coleman. We've got pretty much no one now.

mikey_d

On the two points that you made, this is what he said 'Ryan Giggs played underage football for England while being Welsh', Giggs played for England at schoolboy level and he even captained them, so what how is what he said not true?

Secondly, on his other point, which you also claim is untrue, 'People from the Nationalist community in the north tend not to follow Northern Ireland and identify themselves as Irish and not Northern Irish, but because they are born north of the border at underage level they have to declare for Northern Ireland until they reach senior levels.', He is partly correct in what he is saying, and I will tell you why. If you are born in the north you are most likely playing for a local side under the IFA's jurisdiction, and therefore will be known within their system. If you are talented, you will be approached to play at schoolboy level possibly even fast tracked through the under age levels. To represent them you will need to declare for them, which most will do especially if they aspire to be professionals, and why wouldn't they do this? (but granted, this is a different debate). The FAI most likely won't know who they are yet, and won't get the chance to represent the Republic at schoolboy level due to lack of exposure to the FAI. It's a debatable point but not untrue!

So most of what he said in my opinion is spot on, maybe could have been worded a little better, but I'll stand my ground and reconfirm that I completely agree with what he said.
School boys is not the same as playing underage football for a national team. Schoolboys isn’t associated with each nations fa. It is associated with the Countries schools football association an entirely different entity. Ie the esfa in England.

In schoolboys football you play for the country you go to school in no matter what nationality you play for. I.e you could be from China, your whole family from China, only speak Chinese but play for England if you go to school there.

In underage football you can only play for the country if you qualify as you would for the senior team.

It’s also entirely possible to play for say England schoolboys and also a different national teams under 15’s at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.