Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
He doesn't come across well but it's hard to blame him. Tony O'Donoghue's interviews with him have been pretty disgraceful. If I was forced to speak to him after every game I would think twice about renewing too.

He is absolutely right that the perception of the job he's doing from outside Ireland has been positive and it is because he has done an excellent job.
What has been disgraceful about them? He's a journalist. He's there to ask questions. I've never seen him being anything other than fair.

Jaybomb

I still can't understand the O'Neill hate. He's overachieved with a very underwhelming group - Glen Whelan, Walters, Long etc. It could be that the likes of Hourihane and Maguire might inject a little flair to the boring football next campaign.

It would have been Neil Lennon had O'Neill quit and I'm not sure that would have been an improvement.
But he’s picking those players.

He should have gave the likes of Richie Towell and Daryl Horgan a proper go. All the other “small countries” have players from their domestic leagues so why not Ireland? I honestly don’t think we would have done any worse if we played some Airtricity League players.

My vote for the next Ireland manager would be Stephen Kenny. Knows the Irish League and has dominated it. He’s a decent manager.

Champagne Football

He should have gave the likes of Richie Towell and Daryl Horgan a proper go. All the other “small countries” have players from their domestic leagues so why not Ireland? I honestly don’t think we would have done any worse if we played some Airtricity League players.

My vote for the next Ireland manager would be Stephen Kenny. Knows the Irish League and has dominated it. He’s a decent manager.
Towel is an bizarre suggestion. Not a hope he's anywhere near the level needed. Horgan also nowhere near good enough yet anyways. Maguire miles ahead of him in pecking order.

I agree with you though that he should have given more chances to others from the championship such as Maguire, Hourihane and O'Dowda.

Stephen Kenny would be Kerr2

POF

What has been disgraceful about them? He's a journalist. He's there to ask questions. I've never seen him being anything other than fair.
Always unnecessarily confrontational with a massive agenda. In fairness, it permeates through all of the (limited) RTE coverage that I have seen.

The football can be incredibly basic at times but the results have been generally excellent with nothing in attack. Long and Walters are the only decent strikers Ireland has. One can't get a game at Burnley and the other has got 1 goal in a year.

Richie Towell and Daryl Horgan? Now that they've moved to English clubs, what level are they playing at?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
After the Denmark defeat, O'Donoghue did put the boot in a bit. Seems like all these interviews start off OK, but O'Neill gets very tetchy with any negativity towards him as things progress.
https://www.joe.ie/sport/martin-oneill-interview-606526
Apparently O'Neill took exception to O'Donoghue, off camera, saying 'hard luck' before that interview began. But as I posted earlier, very unwise of MON to revisit his grieviances about all that last week.

Jaybomb

Always unnecessarily confrontational with a massive agenda. In fairness, it permeates through all of the (limited) RTE coverage that I have seen.

The football can be incredibly basic at times but the results have been generally excellent with nothing in attack. Long and Walters are the only decent strikers Ireland has. One can't get a game at Burnley and the other has got 1 goal in a year.

Richie Towell and Daryl Horgan? Now that they've moved to English clubs, what level are they playing at?
Towell is playing at Rotherham in League 1, on loan from Brighton.

Horgan is in the Championship with Preston.

Two seasons ago, Towell banged in 27 goals in 38 appearances from attacking mid. Yet he got no call up to the Ireland team... imagine if some Danish or Polish lad did that in their respective league. They would absolutely be called up.

POF

Towell is playing at Rotherham in League 1, on loan from Brighton.

Horgan is in the Championship with Preston.

Two seasons ago, Towell banged in 27 goals in 38 appearances from attacking mid. Yet he got no call up to the Ireland team... imagine if some Danish or Polish lad did that in their respective league. They would absolutely be called up.
Horgan is on the bench for Preston. Horgan may be debatable but Towell is nowhere near good enough.

O'Neill identified Duffy and Clark as his first choice centre back pairing when it was far from obvious how either would progress. Now they are both Premier League players with nobody else in the squad even close to competing with them.

Callum O'Dowda was thrown in when he was playing for Oxford in League One. Now he looks a genuine quality player with a big future.

He also identified Brady and Hendrick to build his team around before either made big money moves to the Premier League.

Maybe, just maybe, O'Neill is better at spotting talented players than you.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
After the Denmark defeat, O'Donoghue did put the boot in a bit. Seems like all these interviews start off OK, but O'Neill gets very tetchy with any negativity towards him as things progress.
https://www.joe.ie/sport/martin-oneill-interview-606526
Apparently O'Neill took exception to O'Donoghue, off camera, saying 'hard luck' before that interview began. But as I posted earlier, very unwise of MON to revisit his grieviances about all that last week.
Which is rather ridiculous. In that scenario O'Donohue is only ever going to greet O'Neill with either "hard luck" or "congratulations" depending on the result. It was basic politeness rather than any sort of hypocrisy, O' Donohue could hardly start off with "well, that was shit".

Still ill

Which is rather ridiculous. In that scenario O'Donohue is only ever going to greet O'Neill with either "hard luck" or "congratulations" depending on the result. It was basic politeness rather than any sort of hypocrisy, O' Donohue could hardly start off with "well, that was shit".
Well exactly. His point seemed to be that Tony saying 'hard luck' implied that Ireland had been unlucky thus negating any possible negative questions about the performance. One way or the other, as the Newstalk boys mentioned, you can only imagine O'Neill's reaction if Tony had waited till the cameras were rolling to bring up something O'Neill had said to him off camera. It was a ludicrous performance. I used to love O'Neill. I felt he loved what he was doing and that transmits itself. I really do not feel that now. That level of defensiveness is a shit sign in a leader in any walk of life.

GBBQ

Come on, we were 4th seed in the group and came second. We did pretty well considering the pool of talent at our disposal. This team overachieved and if we had taken chances on Airtricity League players of course we could have done worse.

Brophs

The One and Only
Darron Gibson seems like he may have gotten himself into bother again. It’s a real shame. The rumours have been knocking around about him for quite a long time, but hopefully he can get himself straightened out.

Still ill

That's a great start for Declan Rice in an Ireland shirt. Sounds like he enjoyed his week. September is a long way away but I'm going to go ahead and hope that he'll be staying in the camp. We created very little last night but O'Neill was right to experiment a bit. Have to try something different in terms of attacking. Funny to hear Martin talking about encouraging his players to attack the space. If that's been his instruction over the last couple of years, it's been utterly ignored by his players. How do we feel about wing-backs? Theoretically, I think it could be helpful to us. Nothing from the full-backs last night, which negates the impact, but the thoughts of another campaign hoofing balls up to the man-mountains that are Shane Long, Sean Maguire and Scott Hogan fills me with dread.

Champagne Football

Rice seemed to bring a presence in midfield that we haven't had in a long time. We're fine for center-backs and we need him as that defensive midfielder driving the team forward while making his presence felt. He looks miles ahead of Arter, Meyler, McCarthy for that role after 1 game.

Going Forward -

Randolph
Coleman Duffy Long Ward
Brady Rice Hendrick McClean
Maguire Hogan​

dbs235

Republic of Ireland squad for friendlies against Celtic, France and the United States:
Goalkeepers:
Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Colin Doyle (Bradford), Kieran O'Hara (Manchester United), Ian Lawlor (Doncaster), Conor O'Malley (Peterborough United)

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Cyrus Christie (Fulham), Matt Doherty (Wolves), Alex Pearce, Richard Keogh (Derby County), John Egan (Brentford), Shane Duffy (Brighton), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle), Declan Rice (West Ham), Kevin Long (Burnley), John O'Shea (Sunderland), Darragh Lenihan, Derrick Williams (Blackburn), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Greg Cunningham (Preston)

Midfielders: Alan Judge (Brentford), Conor Hourihane, Glenn Whelan (Aston Villa), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), Eunan O'Kane (Leeds), David Meyler (Hull), Shaun Williams (Millwall), Alan Browne, Daryl Horgan (Preston), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (West Brom)

Strikers: Jonathan Walters (Burnley), Shane Long (Southampton), Scott Hogan (Aston Villa), Aiden O'Brien (Millwall), Sean Maguire, Callum Robinson (Preston), Graham Burke (Shamrock Rovers).

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
That is a seriously uninspiring set of players. Not one top class one amongst them.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Eughhh ... the only thing worse than a Jose performance is a MON ireland team performance.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That is a seriously uninspiring set of players. Not one top class one amongst them.
Coleman is/was. Not sure how he's looked since coming back from injury.

Couldn't believe O'Shea's name is still there. Thought he was retiring anyway?

padzilla

Hipster
Random one lads but do we hold the distinction of being the only nation that you can't buy the jersey of without a sponsor on it?

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
You are what you are. If you have to consider things then that doesn't appear as genuine attachment.

Brophs

The One and Only
Wouldn't begrudge him.
Absolutely. Players should be playing for the country they identify with most. Plus I didn’t think his comments previously were unequivocal. He was careful to say “there’s no decision to be made” which people took as him saying the decision was already made, rather than, as it now seems, that England hadn’t made a play at that point and the entire discussion was hypothetical.

Champagne Football

He's defo gone then. This for me is as good as him gone. Shame as he was sort of our great hope and looked a class above every time he played.

Status
Not open for further replies.