Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brophs

The One and Only
Might be fight left in the old dog yet. Seems that Quique Sanchez Flores is first choice and will give them an answer tomorrow.

POF

Far less inclined to see change than some here. He brought poor football and good results. I suspect the latter is more likely to change under a new manager than the former.
Agreed. The criticism of O'Neill has been disgraceful. He has a fantastic record and the team has achieved far more than it should with the ability of the players in his time in charge.

Champagne Football

1 qualification and 1 play-off was massive over-achieving from O'Neill considering his players were Glen Whelan, Walters, McGeady, Meyler, Long etc

People screaming for Mick McCarthy but he had Robbie Keane, Roy Keane, Duff, Dunne, O'Shea, Given, Kilbane etc back in the day.

Sam Allardyce in summer or Mick would be good realistic options if O'Neill legs it but Neil Lennon will probably be the only one left who.wants it.

lsd

The Oracle
Did it not sound like Keane would go with him to Stoke. Agree appointing Keane with be a disaster not least because of all the media BS. Who to get if they both go? Actually you said it, how about LVG? :wenger::lol:

Imagine Van Gaal dealing with Dunphy and co ? Would be comedy gold for that alone

Brophs

The One and Only
Guillem Balague says Sánchez Flores is telling Espanyol today that he’s off to Stoke. Richard Dunne was saying on Off The Ball last night that he thinks that it be difficult for O’Neill to stay in the ireland job now that it’s apparent he’s willing to look elsewhere. Personally I don’t see it that way. He’s never struck me as a guy who is overburdened by a need to keep people happy or to avoid awkward situations. I reckon he’d quite happily stay in his well paid Irish job if the alternative is being unemployed.

Brophs

The One and Only
As Luke Edwards is O’Neill’s pet hack, this probably has to carry some weight. The bit about the contract length might be the reason it falls down but I suspect it’s just Allardyce-esque posturing for a longer deal.

Brophs

The One and Only
I seem to be replying to myself, but anyway....TWO MORE YEARS, TWO MORE YEARS.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
As Luke Edwards is O’Neill’s pet hack, this probably has to carry some weight. The bit about the contract length might be the reason it falls down but I suspect it’s just Allardyce-esque posturing for a longer deal.
Or a fig leaf for a swift piroutte?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
If he genuinely wants back in to the Prem, as he seems to, he'd be a fool to turn down whatever Stoke are offering. I can't see his stock rising with us in the next 2 years. This could be his last chance. I'm surprised he's getting it, to be honest.

Champagne Football

I'd be very happy for O'Neill to stay. Guided worst group of players Ireland has had in decades to a qualification and play off. Mick is being hailed as our saviour right now but he had the 2 Keanes, Duff, Dunne, Given, O'Shea, Quinn, Staunton, Finnan, Steven Reid to choose from.

If O'Neill does go then it will be Mick McCarthy or Neil Lennon to choose from. I'd be more than happy with Mick again but he was hounded out in the end last time like Martin is being now. Just two games ago we dumped the Euro semi finalists out Wales in their back yard and O'Neill was God. The critisism he's getting is outragrous and it's all down to Eamon Dunphy and his self-promoting tirades which always sways public opinion.

Acole9

Outstanding
Rejected Stoke's offer. That's the third manager who has rejected them this week. Not sure who they can go for next, maybe Giggs?

Still ill

I'd be very happy for O'Neill to stay. Guided worst group of players Ireland has had in decades to a qualification and play off. Mick is being hailed as our saviour right now but he had the 2 Keanes, Duff, Dunne, Given, O'Shea, Quinn, Staunton, Finnan, Steven Reid to choose from.

If O'Neill does go then it will be Mick McCarthy or Neil Lennon to choose from. I'd be more than happy with Mick again but he was hounded out in the end last time like Martin is being now. Just two games ago we dumped the Euro semi finalists out Wales in their back yard and O'Neill was God. The critisism he's getting is outragrous and it's all down to Eamon Dunphy and his self-promoting tirades which always sways public opinion.
I think you're overestimating the effect that Eamo's pronouncements have on the Irish footballing public. The eye-wateringly brutal football we have played almost relentlessly for the last 100 years or so may have something to do with the appetite for something new. Ditto for Martin's increasingly prickly reaction to any questioning of what he's producing.
That's the thing with the way O'Neill operates. How could you not be proud of what they produced in Cardiff? But the minute that tumescent, unambitious brand of football stops getting results, as soon as you stop being carried along by the wave of pride and patriotism that that level of effort and togetherness brings, our football is unwatchable. It doesn't feel like us against the world anymore. There's a paranoia and negativity constantly hovering just below the surface with O'Neill these days. It doesn't feel healthy.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I don't live in Ireland and have never listened to Eamon Dunphys analysis so it isnt him telling me how shit the football is. I can see it by just watching the games.

Rory 7

I hope to feck he has turned down Stoke. Rumour is Mick McCarthy will get the Irish job is O'Neill moves. I honestly couldn't take that. I really couldn't.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Probably going against the current topic of discussion at the moment but one of the things that consistently gets mentioned is the general shitness of our squad, which is hardly debatable, but if we were to accept that this is just the way things are and we are lucky to get any sort of success with this team then this would indicate that this is all we can for as a football nation, right? Cause if we are just going to revert to the eternal level of a below average team that would do extremely well to even get to the playoffs for a major tournament then really, what's the point?

There persists this acceptance of our, at best, mediocrity but there's no real will to try to change things or make things better. There's just this overall shrug of inevitability that indicates that nothing can be done to improve matters. Don't get me wrong, I can accept (that's becoming a recurring term) that it is difficult to get this group of players to rise above their current level, I can. And with our lack of financial investment, we have to scrounge around for any meagre talent to appear which only makes things worse. But think about it, how often have we complained about how awful and ugly our style is? How often have we sat there, giving out groans of frustration as another lofted hail mary from the halfway line goes harmlessly wide? How often have we hoped for some entertaining football that goes against the usual caveman principles that we employee? And yet the general consensus is that we will continue to see this type of football and nothing can be done to change it.

And therein lies my frustration with us as a football nation. We won't see any other system other than the one we currently employ. While the rest of the world evolves with new methodologies, we're gonna be stuck forever in the 80's. It doesn't matter the level of players we have either. We could have a rancid found of horse shit masquerading as a squad or we could have a team of World XI superstars but it still wouldn't matter. Either way, whatever collective we manage to fit together will be shunted into the same hoof ball XI and expected to kick and chase. This is what we're gonna have to watch for the rest of our lives as Ireland fans. Because that's just the way things are.

Champagne Football

I think you're overestimating the effect that Eamo's pronouncements have on the Irish footballing public. The eye-wateringly brutal football we have played almost relentlessly for the last 100 years or so may have something to do with the appetite for something new. Ditto for Martin's increasingly prickly reaction to any questioning of what he's producing.
That's the thing with the way O'Neill operates. How could you not be proud of what they produced in Cardiff? But the minute that tumescent, unambitious brand of football stops getting results, as soon as you stop being carried along by the wave of pride and patriotism that that level of effort and togetherness brings, our football is unwatchable. It doesn't feel like us against the world anymore. There's a paranoia and negativity constantly hovering just below the surface with O'Neill these days. It doesn't feel healthy.
Crystal Palace fired Frank De Boer after a horror reign, a man supposed to be their new Hiddink but instead ended up replacing him with a supposed dinosaur in Hodgson and they haven't stopped winning ever since. West Ham fired Bilic, a manager that plays slick and sweet on the eye football and replaced him with a supposed dinosaur and haven't stopped winning since. Everton fired their dutch messiah manager a while ago and replaced him with Allardyce who has made them start winning again despite not so pleasant on the eye football.

Our football is unwatchable because we don't have a single bloody striker in the team. We don't have a single playmaker in the team. Wes if great for 5 minutes here and there but he's not dynamic enough for international level. The positives since O'Neill started have far outweighed the negatives. We've gone from the footballing wilderness to beating footballing powerhouses like Germany, Italy, Wales, Austria. The success he's had has brought in players like O'Dowda and Arter who will go from strength to strength over time.

Scott Hogan, O'Dowda, Arter, Maguire are 4 players who might be ready to go straight into the first XI in the near future and make an impact while possibly adding the quality needed to play more attractive football.

Anyways it's been confirmed that he's staying so let's get behind him. When the FAI pay off debts in 10 years then there'll be money to improve at grassroots...until that money is not there then we will just have to stick with what we are okay at

Champagne Football

Martin O’Neill’s future has been resolved with the 65 year-old set to stay in the Ireland job after having failed to agree terms with Stoke City to succeed Mark Hughes as the club’s manager.

It remains unclear whether the Irishman was actually offered the job or simply held further talks with representatives of Stoke over the weekend that ultimately went nowhere but it is reported in the Daily Telegraph that he turned the post down and that he is “genuinely excited about building a new, younger Irish team over the next 12 months”.

The news will come as a relief to the FAI which has been left to look on, helpless, as the man they pay €2 million to each year, and who they believed they had an agreement with for the next two years, explored his options with an alternative employer. He is due in Dublin later in the week when he will address the situation.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/so...3355265?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Champagne Football

Probably going against the current topic of discussion at the moment but one of the things that consistently gets mentioned is the general shitness of our squad, which is hardly debatable, but if we were to accept that this is just the way things are and we are lucky to get any sort of success with this team then this would indicate that this is all we can for as a football nation, right? Cause if we are just going to revert to the eternal level of a below average team that would do extremely well to even get to the playoffs for a major tournament then really, what's the point?

There persists this acceptance of our, at best, mediocrity but there's no real will to try to change things or make things better. There's just this overall shrug of inevitability that indicates that nothing can be done to improve matters. Don't get me wrong, I can accept (that's becoming a recurring term) that it is difficult to get this group of players to rise above their current level, I can. And with our lack of financial investment, we have to scrounge around for any meagre talent to appear which only makes things worse. But think about it, how often have we complained about how awful and ugly our style is? How often have we sat there, giving out groans of frustration as another lofted hail mary from the halfway line goes harmlessly wide? How often have we hoped for some entertaining football that goes against the usual caveman principles that we employee? And yet the general consensus is that we will continue to see this type of football and nothing can be done to change it.

And therein lies my frustration with us as a football nation. We won't see any other system other than the one we currently employ. While the rest of the world evolves with new methodologies, we're gonna be stuck forever in the 80's. It doesn't matter the level of players we have either. We could have a rancid found of horse shit masquerading as a squad or we could have a team of World XI superstars but it still wouldn't matter. Either way, whatever collective we manage to fit together will be shunted into the same hoof ball XI and expected to kick and chase. This is what we're gonna have to watch for the rest of our lives as Ireland fans. Because that's just the way things are.
The money just is not there to improve at grassroots. FAI have major debts to clear for a good few more years. Until there's investment in grassroots then we can't really expect things to change.

O'Neill when at Villa had them playing decent stuff at times as he had some decent players there. Moyes has gone from biggest dinosaur ever to suddenly looking great at West Ham again. I have no doubt the football will improve under O'Neill and Keane if the likes of Hogan/O'Dowda/Maguire can become good enough for international level. If we can find a midfielder who can control the tempo of a game like Joe Allen does for Wales then we'd play far better stuff.

Still ill

Crystal Palace fired Frank De Boer after a horror reign, a man supposed to be their new Hiddink but instead ended up replacing him with a supposed dinosaur in Hodgson and they haven't stopped winning ever since. West Ham fired Bilic, a manager that plays slick and sweet on the eye football and replaced him with a supposed dinosaur and haven't stopped winning since. Everton fired their dutch messiah manager a while ago and replaced him with Allardyce who has made them start winning again despite not so pleasant on the eye football.

Our football is unwatchable because we don't have a single bloody striker in the team. We don't have a single playmaker in the team. Wes if great for 5 minutes here and there but he's not dynamic enough for international level. The positives since O'Neill started have far outweighed the negatives. We've gone from the footballing wilderness to beating footballing powerhouses like Germany, Italy, Wales, Austria. The success he's had has brought in players like O'Dowda and Arter who will go from strength to strength over time.

Scott Hogan, O'Dowda, Arter, Maguire are 4 players who might be ready to go straight into the first XI in the near future and make an impact while possibly adding the quality needed to play more attractive football.

Anyways it's been confirmed that he's staying so let's get behind him. When the FAI pay off debts in 10 years then there'll be money to improve at grassroots...until that money is not there then we will just have to stick with what we are okay at
That's a slippery slope, using Roy Hodgson and big Sam as justification for the rubbish that we play. It's only 5 minutes since Roy's extravagently talented English team was being dumped out of the Euros by Iceland, a team with considerably less in the way of players playing at a high level than us, yet a team that has achieved more than us in recent years and who play in a way that is organised defensively, yes but also capable of passing the ball to each other.
Of course I'll get behind whoever is in charge, as I always have and will. I'd just like to see us try finding a green shirt as a matter of priority for a change.

Champagne Football

That's a slippery slope, using Roy Hodgson and big Sam as justification for the rubbish that we play. It's only 5 minutes since Roy's extravagently talented English team was being dumped out of the Euros by Iceland, a team with considerably less in the way of players playing at a high level than us, yet a team that has achieved more than us in recent years and who play in a way that is organised defensively, yes but also capable of passing the ball to each other.
Of course I'll get behind whoever is in charge, as I always have and will. I'd just like to see us try finding a green shirt as a matter of priority for a change.
The football has been dross more often than not to say the least.....but we have not exactly been spoiled for choice. In this moment in time we don't have a single player who can control the tempo, plenty of headless chickens running around the place who are brilliant at giving it their all and snapping at heels and winning the ball back, but lack of a playmaker makes it very hard to play nice football. An ideal scenario would be for Conor Hourihane to get promoted with Villa and become a PL level playmaker. He's probably the only one out of the likes of Ryan Manning/Liam Kelly who looks like he can kick on a level and become that player in our midfield who can control the tempo as the likes of Brady and Hendrick do the box to box running around. Perhaps this line up can have us playing a better brand of football next campaign
-----------------Randolph
Coleman-----Duffy---Clarke---Ward
----Hendrick--Hourihane--Brady
Maguire------Hogan-------McClean

Brophs

The One and Only

I really am torn on this. On the one hand, you can’t begrudge him the chance to listen to a PL job. And particularly when you hear Luke Edwards on Off The Ball on Monday, the agreement with the FAI was what stopped him moving on, so there is loyalty of a sort there.

All that said, this does slightly have the feel of the last Trap contract. Maybe history will show this to have beena natural breaking point. Him being possibly willing to move on will be the stick that’s used to beat him if/when there are poor results (though, I suppose, conversely, a few good results and everyone will be back aboard the O’Neill train).

Still ill

I feel like punching him. Has he spent the weeks since Denmark brooding over that shit? He should be ashamed of himself. What a way to usher in a new contract. Who the feck does he think he is?

Tincanalley

So petty from O'Neill.
Yeah, you know this kind of stuff does him no favours. He was much much wiser to let this be a new beginning, rather trying to settle scores with reporters like Tony O Donoghue, or whoever he has a beef with. He looked very emotional and vulnerable and quite the opposite of the image he was presumably trying to project. I don't think the FAI will have been too impressed.

Tincanalley

Can I suggest a thread title change; 'O'Neill on his high horse'

POF

He doesn't come across well but it's hard to blame him. Tony O'Donoghue's interviews with him have been pretty disgraceful. If I was forced to speak to him after every game I would think twice about renewing too.

He is absolutely right that the perception of the job he's doing from outside Ireland has been positive and it is because he has done an excellent job.

Champagne Football

I still can't understand the O'Neill hate. He's overachieved with a very underwhelming group - Glen Whelan, Walters, Long etc. It could be that the likes of Hourihane and Maguire might inject a little flair to the boring football next campaign.

It would have been Neil Lennon had O'Neill quit and I'm not sure that would have been an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.