Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidbob

This ref is genuinely terrible. Near enough every 50-50 going to Finland and failed to give them two clear yellow cards in the first half.

kidbob

1-0 down. Been marginally the better side here again so far but we've wasted our chances.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
How are Molumby and Connolly doing?
Barely noticed Molumby.

Connolly consistently makes the wrong choice. He gets into areas and no matter what it’s always head down and smash it at hard as he can straight at the keeper from terrible angles. No composure or vision. Could have a teammate wide open for a tap in and he’ll still be head down and smashing it at the keeper.

kidbob

I feel for Kenny so far. We've probably been the better side overall in our last 3 games yet haven't gotten a win yet. Really paying for not not taking some very good chances and other situations where the wrong pass is chosen. Promising enough though and hopefully by the time the WC Qualifiers come around our attack will be in better shape.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
That was frustrating. Had a few quite good chances. Connolly especially could've squared it to give someone a one on one, but he didn't see it or something.

Withnail

Some good play again and we are creating chances. Took the wrong option a couple of times alright.

Coming straight in to competitive matches with no friendlies to suss out his best team and covid disrupting things is a tough ask.

Hopefully Kenny can get his first win next month.

AaronRedDevil

Yeah it’s great an all, how Ireland are playing. But it’s like I said before. You need to score to win. playing great is pointless if you can’t beat fecking Finland and Slovakia.

Red00012

Not really accepting this playing better football nonsense . If we can’t put the ball in the net we may as well be playing hoofball.

Can’t see anyone in that team that can grab 6/7 in a qualifying group.

Connolly is lively but takes wrong options time and time again.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah it’s great an all, how Ireland are playing. But it’s like I said before. You need to score to win. playing great is pointless if you can’t beat fecking Finland and Slovakia.
You’re stating the bleeding obvious. Results have to improve. There are plenty of signs that they will though. It’s still very early days and the team has had some ridiculous bad luck over the last couple of weeks.

Champagne Football

I actually enjoyed watching us in the first half. Connolly was giving them headaches and Molumby looked the best out of Hendrick and Hourihane, and Molumby perhaps could be an important player going forward. I'd go as far as saying Hourihane and Hendrick just don't cut it at this level. They're very solid footballers, but just don't offer enough that international central midfielders should offer and that's why Mick McCarthy resorted to hoofball, as he was aware of that fact. Add James McCarthy to that list too of not good enough.

We really are at rock bottom in every way with football in ireland but I felt there was enough signs out there that Kenny will start to get it right soon. It's ironic Delaney is counting the millions he swindled out of the FAI right now as Irish football hits it's lowest point since Big Jack arrived.

We need some young players to move up a level fast - Will Smallbone, Luca Connell, Conor Coventry, Troy Parrot, Adam Idah, Joe Hodge, Deji Sotona, Odubeko, Obafemi

Last edited:

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Look at Martin Keown, he was born to an Irish mother never saw himself as Irish but his kid does (head scratching that), as with phil neville, why because they are not picked by the English, Brucey was another and that guy never played for England and could have gone to Euro 88, WC 90/94 thanks to his Irish mother, but didnt see himself as Irish and as much as I hate and despise Keown, I respect him more than his kid, nevilles kid as I do Bruce.
Martin Keowns extended family only live a few mile up the road from me here in Northern Ireland. Not sure if he would have been eligible for the Republic as they hadnt the same rules in those days.

Withnail

Martin Keowns extended family only live a few mile up the road from me here in Northern Ireland. Not sure if he would have been eligible for the Republic as they hadnt the same rules in those days.
It's well documented that he could have played for Ireland.

The granny rule has been in place for donkeys. Keown is younger that Cas, Houghton, Aldridge and all those lads.

GiddyUp

The granny rule has been in place for donkeys. Keown is younger that Cas, Houghton, Aldridge and all those lads.
Ahhhhhh, those were the days. We were fecking brilliantly average back then. I expected a draw every game which made the wins all the sweeter.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Not really accepting this playing better football nonsense . If we can’t put the ball in the net we may as well be playing hoofball.

Very short term view, lads. I'm very happy with what I've seen so far. I don't give a fiddlers about results at the moment. Comical bad luck over last week and a half but regardless of personal, same style. Were seeing more of the ball trying to pass it forward and we're creating. They all seem on board. Listening to Mick blathering on in co commentary about results and direct football, Christ I've had enough of that shite to last me a lifetime. When's the last time you enjoyed watching Ireland play? Kenny's made a much quicker impact than I expected.

Tel074

Tbh you can accept it or not but it is already miles better to watch . These things take time and yes I know it's frustrating when we should be winning games but we will get there . The north allowed ONeil loads of time to change their style and it worked and I'm confident it will work for us as well . SK needs time we don't have the depth in a squad at the best of times but we have some very promising younger guys who he will bring through

POF

His mother is from Galway. But, happy to let anywhere else claim him!

limerickcitykid

Why may we as well be playing hoofball? Sorry did I miss all the goals and results it was getting us from Mick? No, that’s right, there were still no goals and shit results. Dog shit football that could barely scrape us by Gibraltar for Christ sakes.

If we can’t score or get great results then we may as well play something that actually resembles football and gives fans even an ounce of entertainment and desire to sit through 90 minutes of it. Something we haven’t felt after years and years of being bored out of our mind of going to Gibraltar to be absolute crap.

limerickcitykid

You always need to score to win, something we weren’t doing previously either. So what’s your point?

Playing great clearly isn’t pointless as it actually offers some sense of enjoyment to the fans. Something we haven’t had in feck knows how long. What is even the point of watching that shit under Mick? Now that’s what I call pointless. Why waste 90 minutes bored out of your mind with that garbage?

Red00012

Why may we as well be playing hoofball? Sorry did I miss all the goals and results it was getting us from Mick? No, that’s right, there were still no goals and shit results. Dog shit football that could barely scrape us by Gibraltar for Christ sakes.

If we can’t score or get great results then we may as well play something that actually resembles football and gives fans even an ounce of entertainment and desire to sit through 90 minutes of it. Something we haven’t felt after years and years of being bored out of our mind of going to Gibraltar to be absolute crap.
We’d play Gibraltar and we would have Plenty of possession and probably still scrape by with a 1-0. We’re lacking goals in our team. Let’s not fool ourselves and say Slovakia , Wales and Finland are decent teams.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129

His mother is from Galway. But, happy to let anywhere else claim him!
you're both right, his mother from Galway, his dad was from Fermanagh.
Ah, didn't realise his mother was from the republic. Just know his fathers side in Fermanagh

Champagne Football

We’d play Gibraltar and we would have Plenty of possession and probably still scrape by with a 1-0. We’re lacking goals in our team. Let’s not fool ourselves and say Slovakia , Wales and Finland are decent teams.
They are teams about the same level as us, apart from Wales who have more young talent coming through than us right now. This project under Kenny is gonna take time and it's the right approach. Because even if he fails, he will have built a foundation where all underage teams are playing the same style as the national team, and that whoever takes over from him, will hopefully be another manager who plays the right way and will have a solid foundation to build from.

RashyForPM

Question to the Irish lads and lasses here, out of interest: Would you keep Kenny if the football continues to be pretty and cute, but by this time next year you guys still aren’t winning many, if any games?

At the end of the day, you need to score goals and win games.

limerickcitykid

And we were lacking goals before too.

There are all similar level to us. Hence why we held our own against all of them and often even looked the better side. We’ve lacked goals, so have the 3 of them. The 8 nations league matches in our group has produced 9 goals. So let’s also not fool ourselves and say they’re scoring for fun either.

So again I’ll ask why may we as well go back to dog shit football under Mick? What are we getting out of that? It doesn’t give us goals, it doesn’t give us results and it hasn’t entertained anyone even slightly in years. So how are we as well of with a pile of dog shit over something fans can at least look at and call it football?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

There are all similar level to us. Hence why we held our own against all of them and often even looked the better side. We’ve lacked goals, so have the 3 of them. The 8 nations league matches in our group has produced 9 goals. So let’s also not fool ourselves and say they’re scoring for fun either.

So again I’ll ask why may we as well go back to dog shit football under Mick? What are we getting out of that? It doesn’t give us goals, it doesn’t give us results and it hasn’t entertained anyone even slightly in years. So how are we as well of with a pile of dog shit over something fans can at least look at and call it football?
100% agree. The standard had been so awful for so many years under various managers that I'm delighted to see them even starting to try to play. It's the right path and it'll bring rewards eventually, and hopefully even soon.

Red00012

Because now it’s 5 games 1 goal under Kenny playing decent football against like you said teams that are our level .

Did Mick manage that playing shite football ? Can’t remember droughts like that.

my point is and has been we need a goal scorer or it’s rinse repeat with Kenny and poor results .

limerickcitykid

h
Because now it’s 5 games 1 goal under Kenny playing decent football against like you said teams that are our level .

Did Mick manage that playing shite football ? Can’t remember droughts like that.

my point is and has been we need a goal scorer or it’s rinse repeat with Kenny and poor results .
And it was only 3 goals in 5 for Mick not including Gibraltar which doesnt even count as a real match and yet Mick still struggled. So guess what, still fecking shit at scoring. Guess what else, we went 2 years without winning a competitive match other than again bloody Gibraltar and Georgia at home. So yes that’s right the results were also shit.

Your point is we need a goal scorer. Wtf does that have to do with Kenny? So in actuality you have no point. Kenny can’t conjure up top class striker out of his ass.

It isn’t rinse and repeat, we’ve actually played football instead of serving up a pile of turd. That isn’t repeating the absolute garbage Mick gave us.

So you still haven’t given how we’re as well off with Mick’s shit which also has no goals, also has no results and drives most fans the have no interest in watching. People have actually had an ounce of entertainment from Kenny. Making it already better than anything under Mick.

Red00012

You seem angry pal relax.

5 games no win and 1 goal I’ll leave it at that and see where we go from there. Hopefully things will improve under him.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
He has relatives in Co. Galway too. Definetly Irish qualified.

Status
Not open for further replies.