Gaming Resident Evil 3 Remake (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Art Vandelay

Finished it earlier. Overall I thought it was a good game and enjoyable, but I am left with a feeling of it should have been a lot better. Feels like they rushed this a bit too much, whereas if they had taken their time a bit more and concentrated on the main game. Few thoughts;

- Nemesis was poorly done overall. Didn't find him scary, nor intimidating like Mr. X was. And once he was past his first form and simply became a series of boss battles, all sort of tension was lost. (Though I did enjoy the boss battles).
- Far, far too much from the original cut out of the game, to the point it barely felt like RE3. No real feeling of nostalgia like there was with 2. No Clock Tower segment was very very annoying as it was a great part of the game in the original.
- No Mercenary mode is deeply disappointing.
- Does anybody in gaming actually enjoy a scene where you have to constantly bash a button? I think the only time this has ever worked well was in the microwave tunnel in MGS4. Just stop doing them.

All that said it was still very fun to play. Carlos was a great character and I think they did a great job of Jill. Got the feeling they were hinting at a spin off of 3 at the end with Jill's 'detective' work?

All in all a solid game, should have been better though.
I haven't finished it, I'm near the end though and have to say I agree with all of that. Nemesis was such a let down and it felt more like the faux shooter antics of 5 and 6 instead of the survival horror slower pace of RE2. I know RE3 was always more action oriented than the first two, but this just feels like it was going too far for a lot of it. Half the cutscenes had me rolling my eyes at Jill's improbable/impossible unscathed survival.

When it's good it's excellent, but too often it's not that good. I felt it could have been a whole lot better if they slowed the pace down a bit and had more focus on survival and exploration. You just kind of run through areas killing everything. The hospital was probably the best bit of the game, but even that annoyed me when fighting certain enemies as Carlos.

That's not to say it's not a good game, I'm still really enjoying it, it's just that compared to the first two games it falls short and feels like untapped potential. Having said that Jill is by far the best protagonist and I'm glad they made her both capable and flawed, if somewhat indestructible. I'd like them to finish up remaking Code Veronica and then wipe the slate clean with the canon after that, move forward with Jill as the protagonist for a game or two instead of going back to Leon and Chris right away.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
To be fair, it's six hours long.

Imagine the new God of War was six hours long, or if The Last of Us 2 comes out and it's six hours long? People would slate the shit out of them. Resident Evil games just seem to get a free pass cause "well all Resi games are short so it's fine, here take m'money!"
You know you don’t have to buy the game...

I’m a huge fan of the series. Whilst 3 is lacking in some areas it’s still a very enjoyable game and I don’t mind spending £50 on it.

But maybe that’s just me. I used to pay £20 for Gran Turismo demos:lol:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
You know you don’t have to buy the game...

I’m a huge fan of the series. Whilst 3 is lacking in some areas it’s still a very enjoyable game and I don’t mind spending £50 on it.

But maybe that’s just me. I used to pay £20 for Gran Turismo demos:lol:
I'm not buying the game, I was just responding to the guy who quoted me!

Nothing wrong with anyone who buys it. I'm just saying that the length is a valid criticism.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I haven't finished it, I'm near the end though and have to say I agree with all of that. Nemesis was such a let down and it felt more like the faux shooter antics of 5 and 6 instead of the survival horror slower pace of RE2. I know RE3 was always more action oriented than the first two, but this just feels like it was going too far for a lot of it. Half the cutscenes had me rolling my eyes at Jill's improbable/impossible unscathed survival.

When it's good it's excellent, but too often it's not that good. I felt it could have been a whole lot better if they slowed the pace down a bit and had more focus on survival and exploration. You just kind of run through areas killing everything. The hospital was probably the best bit of the game, but even that annoyed me when fighting certain enemies as Carlos.

That's not to say it's not a good game, I'm still really enjoying it, it's just that compared to the first two games it falls short and feels like untapped potential. Having said that Jill is by far the best protagonist and I'm glad they made her both capable and flawed, if somewhat indestructible. I'd like them to finish up remaking Code Veronica and then wipe the slate clean with the canon after that, move forward with Jill as the protagonist for a game or two instead of going back to Leon and Chris right away.
Yeah everything felt far too short. Raccoon City looked like it could have been great for exploring but it was over far too quickly. Same with the sewer segment of the game. There was real potential with this game but they sadly couldn’t nail it. Will have to wait for the remake of the remake!

Speaking of remakes of remakes, I would love them to do 1 again as I think it could be an exceptional game. Code V would be a great one to do aswell, always enjoyed that one.

Agree re Jill, she’s great. Hope it isn’t the last we see of her.

Art Vandelay

Yeah everything felt far too short. Raccoon City looked like it could have been great for exploring but it was over far too quickly. Same with the sewer segment of the game. There was real potential with this game but they sadly couldn’t nail it. Will have to wait for the remake of the remake!

Speaking of remakes of remakes, I would love them to do 1 again as I think it could be an exceptional game. Code V would be a great one to do aswell, always enjoyed that one.

Agree re Jill, she’s great. Hope it isn’t the last we see of her.
I'm not sure if I'd want them to touch 1 again. The REmake is brilliant the way it is and still the best in the series for me. I don't know if I'd go messing with it.

Just bigger environments, more exploration and some actual puzzles would have gone a long way in this. They distanced Nemesis from Mr X a bit too much I felt, some of those environments had great potential for Mr X style stalking instead of the big in your face nonsense Nemesis got up to. The hospital is already super creepy, imagine that with Mr X stomping around, being able to see him through some of those windows in the distance. There's a great survival horror game there, they just went in a different direction. Nemesis sums it up really, the fact he's a spectacular set piece rather than a horror element.

Irwin99

Almost finished it and I agree with pretty much everything that's been said but I have to say it's been a very solid game so far. If you're a completionist and you feel the need to get the platinum and do everything in the game then I imagine there's going to be a fair few replays to get through. I'm already wanting to finish this playthrough and start again and get all the trophies, weapons and everything else.

Hospital section has been the best part of the game by far and I've really enjoyed playing as Carlos. The clocktower and lack of puzzles were big mistakes though.

I definitely think there's some extra content on the way, hopefully like the free DLC for RE2 but hopefully better (mercenary mode?).

Art Vandelay

Yeah I'm definitely doing at least a second run through. From what I read, the way you unlock infinite weapons now is by buying them in a post game shop through credits you get for certain amount of kills with each weapon etc. These kills are also tied to your profile and not your play through, so you could for example have a save in the hospital and use part of that to get the milestones for killing with different weapons.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Almost finished it and I agree with pretty much everything that's been said but I have to say it's been a very solid game so far. If you're a completionist and you feel the need to get the platinum and do everything in the game then I imagine there's going to be a fair few replays to get through. I'm already wanting to finish this playthrough and start again and get all the trophies, weapons and everything else.

Hospital section has been the best part of the game by far and I've really enjoyed playing as Carlos. The clocktower and lack of puzzles were big mistakes though.

I definitely think there's some extra content on the way, hopefully like the free DLC for RE2 but hopefully better (mercenary mode?).
That's basically me. I platinumed RE 2 Remake and I'll probably platinum this one, so the length of the campaign doesn't bother me at all (very rarely does, tbh. Don't like putting value in the length of a game) so I just wanted to know if the game was actually any good. Judging by what people are saying on here, it is? Few quibbles aside.

padr81

Supports
Man City
The problem is we're in an era where many AAA games offer 50 hours of top content. I don't think there's anything wrong with calling out a game for not being worth full price if it's six fecking hours long. People used to do it all the time with the CoD games. it's a legitimate criticism, especially when this supposedly also reuses stuff from RE2.
They do but they don't have to, for me I'll beat Resi 3 in 6 hours or so, then beat it again on a harder difficulty likely a couple of times. I'll probably get 15 hours or so out of the single player alone. Its €60 so to me thats not bad value. Even if I only played it the once its at worst €10 per hour, same price as an hour of pool or half the price of an hour of bowling. Imho, there are many games of 60 hours long that aren't worth the €60 price tag and many games of 5 hours that are.

Reusing assets is no big deal for me either tbh, if it matches the look and feel required, making new assets to do the same thing is the same engine is just extra work. Personally I just don't think its a bad thing. Resident Evil is far from the only game series to make short games. I don't play CoD as I can't stand first person shooters in general but I thought most the issues in those with 1 player modes were that it was rubbish and felt tacked on as opposed to it being short. Again I don't play CoD so can't comment for sure. Basically I'd rather 6 hours of good focused gameplay that feels good to something like the London based Assassins Creed thats 30 hours but for the most part shit.

Irwin99

That's basically me. I platinumed RE 2 Remake and I'll probably platinum this one, so the length of the campaign doesn't bother me at all (very rarely does, tbh. Don't like putting value in the length of a game) so I just wanted to know if the game was actually any good. Judging by what people are saying on here, it is? Few quibbles aside.
I just finished it. I liked it and will start another game on hard difficulty later. There are a few quibbles but i'd give it a solid 7.5 out of 10 (the big minus points were no clocktower and lack of puzzles) . Glad to be playing this now as a bit of a distraction from everything else that's going on in the world. I think there will be some DLC too as there were a few incidents in the game that made me think they were hinting at something.

I wish there was an option for the old soundtrack like in RE2 :(

Art Vandelay

Just finished it myself. I think I'd give it a 7 or 7.5 although I think it might be a wee bit higher if it wasn't being directly compared to RE2.

I just hope they tone it back down again now, it got worryingly close to boulder punching again a few times and it's hard to take any threat to Jill seriously towards the end as she's seemingly indestructible. It was just far too OTT at times. Zombies were reduced from the threat they had become again in RE2 to basically a nuisance, which is problematic. Just go back to slower pace, puzzles and less murdering everything around you like it's only there to slow you down. Also paleheads are absolute cnuts.

My clear time was 5hrs 33mins. Actual play time 8hrs 47mins and that's not including a couple of sections I decided to re-do. So that's around 10 hours so far and however long consequent playthroughs take me.

Woodzy

What’s the general rule with ammo conservation on this one? I just didn’t he’s oart with the bugs early on and thought using a shit load of bullets was quite unavoidable.

Art Vandelay

What’s the general rule with ammo conservation on this one? I just didn’t he’s oart with the bugs early on and thought using a shit load of bullets was quite unavoidable.
Fire away! I rarely ever came close to running out. Once near the end I ran out of grenade launcher ammo and a couple of times shotgun ammo. Overall though I usually had plenty. Just don't go mental with it and you'll be fine. I killed every single enemy I ran into too.

Don't waste it on Nemesis though, grenade the cnut and that will take him down in one hit.

Irwin99

On normal mode I'd say fire away. Try not to waste grenades on zombies unless absolutely necessary though.

I'm finding ammo conservation on hardcore to be a challenge but that might be because my aim is terrible at times.

Woodzy

Ive put a decent chunk into this now and just started playing as Carlos.

Loving it tbh. More intense that RE2, and certainly spent a lot of time sprinting!

Art Vandelay

I've been grinding away at the kills, got the records for all weapons and kills now. Bought unlimited rocket launcher and samurai edge. I have enough left to buy the pouches, lockpick and bolt cutters. Might buy those and then attempt a speedrun on hardcore, I usually don't put too much effort into speed runs but it should be easy enough with the firepower.

Irwin99

Final boss was ridiculously tough for me on hardcore mode...and there are still two more difficulty levels to go up :( On to nightmare mode now :nervous:

Irwin99

How did you find him on standard? He kind of just watched me kill him. I don't think he hit me at all.
It was pretty easy on standard, you’re right. Dodge is pretty much essential on hardcore in that fight as his attacks are much quicker and more punishing. One hit and you’re in danger status and I barely had any ammo left from the previous fight.

Nightmare is proving to be true to its name although I am cheating a bit with some items I bought. I’m not using infinite ammo though so I don’t think I’m entirely cheating. Weapons, items, monster locations are all rearranged and enemies can destroy you very quickly.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It was pretty easy on standard, you’re right. Dodge is pretty much essential on hardcore in that fight as his attacks are much quicker and more punishing. One hit and you’re in danger status and I barely had any ammo left from the previous fight.

Nightmare is proving to be true to its name although I am cheating a bit with some items I bought. I’m not using infinite ammo though so I don’t think I’m entirely cheating. Weapons, items, monster locations are all rearranged and enemies can destroy you very quickly.
Just inferno after that! :lol:

Irwin99

Just inferno after that! :lol:
Is it cheating to use infinite ammo you think? I'm not using it on nightmare but i was tempted.

I think if they had kept the initial standard difficulty but made Nemesis how fast and aggressive he is on Nightmare it could have made for a scarier experience. He is a LOT more threatening in this mode. I dread to think what Inferno (with the S rank challenge) is going to be like :lol:

Art Vandelay

There's videos up of people doing S rank inferno in around an hour and a half, but they use infinite rocket launcher. Hunters are annoying enough on standard if you're playing as Carlos and have no grenades, not sure I could be arsed with them on harder difficulties.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Is it cheating to use infinite ammo you think? I'm not using it on nightmare but i was tempted.

I think if they had kept the initial standard difficulty but made Nemesis how fast and aggressive he is on Nightmare it could have made for a scarier experience. He is a LOT more threatening in this mode. I dread to think what Inferno (with the S rank challenge) is going to be like :lol:
Well I did a speed run on hardcore with the infinite rocket launcher so I won't judge! :lol:

Irwin99

Well I did a speed run on hardcore with the infinite rocket launcher so I won't judge! :lol:
Are you getting the platinum? I did the trophies where you can't use a save box and only 1 herb but couldn't do that stupid fuses thing in 5 minutes.

Definitely going to use infinite ammo in Inferno.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Are you getting the platinum? I did the trophies where you can't use a save box and only 1 herb but couldn't do that stupid fuses thing in 5 minutes.

Yeah, I think I just need the inferno/nightmare/no item box and all files trophies now. Missing 3 files but I don’t know how because I scoured every room on my second play through so feck knows.

Will give Nightmare a go without infinite weapons and see how I go!

Art Vandelay

Fuses thing is fairly easy. Use the magnum and grenade launcher to take everything out quickly. Took me a couple of goes, but I did it with not much fuss. Unless there's an awkward route through that I somehow missed.

Art Vandelay

Well this was an unpleasant read.
Both ends of that spectrum are as bad as each other in different ways. For me entertainment reviews need to be purged of such nonsense. If you're reviewing a game or film then I do not need to know your political leanings or sexual orientation, those are your business and if they are so overwhelming for you that they affect your ability to review a piece of entertainment for mass consumption then you shouldn't be reviewing it. Although I suspect most of them are perfectly fine and just playing to the audience.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun have an RE3 review up that goes off on a tangent about how it promotes violence against women, how Nemesis gives off dom vibes towards Jill and how it made the reviewer say "Not cool, bro." It's a game about a very capable woman overcoming huge odds to survive and win. It kind of requires the giant monster she fights to be violent towards her. Yet there still needs to be some sort of offended or offensive slant to it so that it can get more clicks and get a fight going in the comments section.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Both ends of that spectrum are as bad as each other in different ways. For me entertainment reviews need to be purged of such nonsense. If you're reviewing a game or film then I do not need to know your political leanings or sexual orientation, those are your business and if they are so overwhelming for you that they affect your ability to review a piece of entertainment for mass consumption then you shouldn't be reviewing it. Although I suspect most of them are perfectly fine and just playing to the audience.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun have an RE3 review up that goes off on a tangent about how it promotes violence against women, how Nemesis gives off dom vibes towards Jill and how it made the reviewer say "Not cool, bro." It's a game about a very capable woman overcoming huge odds to survive and win. It kind of requires the giant monster she fights to be violent towards her. Yet there still needs to be some sort of offended or offensive slant to it so that it can get more clicks and get a fight going in the comments section.
These sorts of people are the worst. Jill Valentine is great and alongside Lara Croft and Samus Aran I'd argue they've done much to push the role of women in videos games. But that's probably for another thread!

Art Vandelay

Anyone seen the leaks for RE8? I don't like the sound of them. RE7 was grand as it was the first good new RE game in a while, but I really have no interest in the series carrying on down that route of horror. Feels like that should be a seperate series than RE. For me RE is about zombies, sweet lovely zombies. Big monsters that will tear your face off and even big monsters that will punch your head through a wall. While you slowly get the firepower to fight back and escape.

Woodzy

Finished it. Certainly had some flaws and not as good as RE2 but it was great.

As someone who never played the original, Nemesis didn't really live up to the hype, and certainly didn't chase me down throughout the game in the way I imagined. I would have preferred to see him in his first form a lot longer, stalking me throughout.

Finally, at the risk of sounding boring, but I wish they would just contain these games to one large environment such as mansion, police station, hospital - this is where the games stand out for me.

Sweet Square

Finished it. Certainly had some flaws and not as good as RE2 but it was great.

As someone who never played the original, Nemesis didn't really live up to the hype, and certainly didn't chase me down throughout the game in the way I imagined. I would have preferred to see him in his first form a lot longer, stalking me throughout.

Finally, at the risk of sounding boring, but I wish they would just contain these games to one large environment such as mansion, police station, hospital - this is where the games stand out for me.
He's a bit shit in the original tbh. It was great for a game made in the late 90's but now looking back the Nemesis stuff is mostly nostalgia hype.

Irwin99

Got the plat yesterday and all in all it was a good game and fun to play, but just not as good as RE2. Apart from the hospital there wasn't really an environment that I really cared for that much and there just wasn't enough in the city itself. I don't suppose they might patch a bit more in or DLC? The clocktower is a massive miss.

The difficulty spike from the final boss on standard mode (easy enough) to Nightmare/Inferno (almost impossible) was ridiculous :mad:

Art Vandelay

I'd prefer Code Veronica first, but 4 will do. I just hope they lean more into the horror than the action this time. Also the shopkeeper must returner, Stranjah!