g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming Resident Evil 7

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
2 is the best, close by 4

Ada wong + leon interwoven story. Didn't really like the puzzle though, but neither the too much gung-ho shoot em up.

I hope 7 is survival with limited ammo (on first run at least) and no puzzle.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I got this from my fiance last Friday, it's absolutely awesome. I just left the big house and went to the trailer in the back yard, from what I understand this means I'm about halfway done?

I really can't play it for more than 45 minutes at a time. It's way too scary for more. I love the whole mysterious Louisiana house atmosphere, it's back to the roots which I love. No more action-packed stuff.

Ainu

I got this from my fiance last Friday, it's absolutely awesome. I just left the big house and went to the trailer in the back yard, from what I understand this means I'm about halfway done?

I really can't play it for more than 45 minutes at a time. It's way too scary for more. I love the whole mysterious Louisiana house atmosphere, it's back to the roots which I love. No more action-packed stuff.
It does remind me of the first game in a way. The start is so different you struggle to recognize it as a Resident Evil game, but little by little it starts to look more like it. I'm still messing about in the house, haven't even found a better weapon than a regular pistol yet. With the VR headset and 3D sound through headphones it's pretty terrifying, so it's slow going for me. Usually when I encounter an enemy my first reflex is to physically turn around and nope the feck out of there towards the nearest safe room. :lol: And then I'll carefuly peek around some corners for a couple of minutes before I find the courage to continue. It's so tense.

NJM78

Playing this in VR made me sick but I'm the kind of sad get that can't even read a three word whatsapp message in a moving vehicle without feeling awful (and I mean as a passenger!). Also the graphics were terrible in VR which didn't help matters. Loving the game though, just leaving the main house at my last save. Will play later as haven't been on for a few days and hopefully complete it soon so I can go back onto Skyrim.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Started playing this yesterday, it's terrifying :lol:, it's also quite challenging , enjoying it so far.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
i bought this last night, hopefully it will be delivered on monday! can't wait all i keep hearing about is how scary it is meant to be. lights off and headphones on i reckon.

Flying_Heckfish

Bought this on the strength of reviews, saying it was basically a return to form with the added bonus of first person view (instead of tank controls).

Nope! This is a boring, repetitive game, where you die and have to repeat sections ad nauseum, until you quit - like I did.

I hate to give up with games, but it was my fault for hoping this would be a new RE1/2/Nemesis. It's not, if you are old enough to remember the originals and still game - don't buy this, replay the originals instead.

It reminded me a lot of Outlast or Amnesia - The Dark Descent. Nothing original here, IMO

Ainu

Bought this on the strength of reviews, saying it was basically a return to form with the added bonus of first person view (instead of tank controls).

Nope! This is a boring, repetitive game, where you die and have to repeat sections ad nauseum, until you quit - like I did.

I hate to give up with games, but it was my fault for hoping this would be a new RE1/2/Nemesis. It's not, if you are old enough to remember the originals and still game - don't buy this, replay the originals instead.

It reminded me a lot of Outlast or Amnesia - The Dark Descent. Nothing original here, IMO
I don't know which game you've been playing but it certainly doesn't sound like the same game I've been playing, and my disc clearly reads "Resident Evil 7: Biohazard" (technically "Resident EVII: Biohazard"). I also disagree with your assassment that it's more like Outlast or Amnesia rather than the original Resident Evil games. That's a lazy and superficial comparison. It does start out feeling a bit like Outlast, with the switch to first-person and being unarmed for some time. However by the time you're halfway through it's much closer in gameplay and atmosphere to Resident Evil 1 than it is to Outlast or any other similar game.

I should add I've always been a massive fan of the original games and more or less gave up on the series after my disappointment with Resident Evil 4, which was just a shooting game with horror elements in my experience. For me this is every bit the triumphant return to the series roots the reviews claimed it was, it just isn't completely evident in its opening couple of hours. Then again I'm playing in VR so my experience is probably very different.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I liked this a lot too. Completed it last weeekend and will wait a few months before playing it again on VR. It's a good return to the roots in that it feels like a true survival horror and gives you the feeling of being hunted, graphics are gorgeous and I absolutely love the Louisiana swamp setting. The plot wasn't bad either, at least it made it interesting until the very end even if they IMO went a bit overboard with a few last bosses. Nevertheless it was a great experience.

Rudie

Mentary
Playing through this on the VR, it's tough, I'm more disorientated after playing when I still have visions of running away, the room spinning, being thrown around. It's a great example of the potential of VR. And feck me it's scary!

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Playing through this on the VR, it's tough, I'm more disorientated after playing when I still have visions of running away, the room spinning, being thrown around. It's a great example of the potential of VR. And feck me it's scary!
Are you playing it standing up and physically turning? Adds a new depth, though the camera reset bits gets disorientating..

Rudie

Mentary
Only thing I hate is being confined to the restrictions of the game when it's so immersive. If I see a metal bar, I want to grab it and beat the crap out of anything coming at me. It's frustrating not being able to do that!

Rudie

Mentary
Are you playing it standing up and physically turning? Adds a new depth, though the camera reset bits gets disorientating..
Yes! :lol::nervous: I'm probably all over the place too, turning here and there. I love the calmness of being in the caravan at the start and looking around. Looking up and seeing the drapes.

Anyone could be in my actual house though and I wouldn't have a clue! Which is always at the back of mind :nervous:

Redlambs

Yes! :lol::nervous: I'm probably all over the place too, turning here and there. I love the calmness of being in the caravan at the start and looking around. Looking up and seeing the drapes.

Anyone could be in my actual house though and I wouldn't have a clue! Which is always at the back of mind :nervous:
That's the best bit for me! I hate having it on, because I can't hear anything else, but it just adds to the scares :lol:

I've ordered the candle now too, so I've stopped playing until I get it. I'm hoping it gives me more scares than that level of Rush of Blood with the spiders, ugggh...

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Holy shit this game is scary as feck! I have just survived the greenhouse. Hoooooly shit that was heart poundingly scary.

SirAF

Ageist
I haven't lit it yet, but opening the lid trust me, it smells of a rotted old house with a hint of blood. I can see it really working great :lol:
Sounds awesome :lol:

I want a FIFA candle! Grass and sweat

Art Vandelay

I guess I am supposed to find two electronic circuit boards for the door outside? I have the (I think) red one but now need the blue one.
It's...

Back in the mansion. Upstairs there's a room near where you got chased in the bathroom and the room with the pool table. That area, there's a room on the left you might not have been in yet due to needing keys. Solve a puzzle in there and it eventually leads to the blue key card. I can't remember if what's his face is still wandering the area, but I don't think he is.

Peanut Butter

It's...

Back in the mansion. Upstairs there's a room near where you got chased in the bathroom and the room with the pool table. That area, there's a room on the left you might not have been in yet due to needing keys. Solve a puzzle in there and it eventually leads to the blue key card. I can't remember if what's his face is still wandering the area, but I don't think he is.
Thanks!

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I just did this bit:

I escaped the house....Mutated Jack...wow...and i chose to rescue Zoe, she spent the game trying to help while Mia attacked me at least twice from memory and i got to the ship found my way to the tape and the storyline really kicks into life! after the 3 jack battles, the margeriette battles, the lucas party game....how is Evie who i haven't battled yet somehow the scariest thing in the game?!? at the end of the vid when she said "so, can we be a family now? i said out loud, yep, sure honey, anything you want.....Zoe said no. feck sake.

Art Vandelay

I just did this bit:

I escaped the house....Mutated Jack...wow...and i chose to rescue Zoe, she spent the game trying to help while Mia attacked me at least twice from memory and i got to the ship found my way to the tape and the storyline really kicks into life! after the 3 jack battles, the margeriette battles, the lucas party game....how is Evie who i haven't battled yet somehow the scariest thing in the game?!? at the end of the vid when she said "so, can we be a family now? i said out loud, yep, sure honey, anything you want.....Zoe said no. feck sake.
I found Marguerite to be scarier. Something about that crazy bitch put the shits up me.

I finished it back in January, but I've not been able to talk to anyone about the story or ending as no one seems able to get to the end. Almost everyone I know that's played it has claimed it's too scary or made an excuse. I loved it.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I found Marguerite to be scarier. Something about that crazy bitch put the shits up me.

I finished it back in January, but I've not been able to talk to anyone about the story or ending as no one seems able to get to the end. Almost everyone I know that's played it has claimed it's too scary or made an excuse. I loved it.
Mate it is incredible, i can't be too far from the end now in theory my next day off is sunday so if i haven't finished it by then i will definitely do it on sunday.

Art Vandelay

It's the best game I've played this year and that includes Zelda and Horizon which are getting much better rating and publicity. It's a classic Resident Evil game made modern. I just hope they can follow it up and stay horror focused, don't get carried away and go back to action again.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
It's the best game I've played this year and that includes Zelda and Horizon which are getting much better rating and publicity. It's a classic Resident Evil game made modern. I just hope they can follow it up and stay horror focused, don't get carried away and go back to action again.
Totally agree, I haven't even finished my first play through yet and i am already wishing res evil 8 was announced and released.

Peanut Butter

I am with you on this. It's a stunning game.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Tonight i was playing res 7 in my room with the door closed. I got to a save room and then realised that i had to get ready for work. i turned off my console and opened the door.....my mum was just standing at the top of the stairs directly in front of me. I proper shit myself.

Art Vandelay

Scariest moment I had was when Jack first hunts you. I couldn't figure out how to get past him and was shitting my pantaloons. So I hid behind the frame of a door and tried to get out just after he came in. While wearing surround sound headphones and sneaking along, next thing I heard was him right behind me shouting "There you are!" then the thud of his shovel. I physically ducked and made a noise I'm not proud of.

Not as bad as the noise I made while playing Alien Isolation, but that's a whole other story.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Jist finished it and got ending 2. Got to play through again for the other ending. The build up to the end left all my hair standing on end. Still a bit freaked out now. :lol:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Jist finished it and got ending 2. Got to play through again for the other ending. The build up to the end left all my hair standing on end. Still a bit freaked out now. :lol:
Or just look it up on YouTube. Unless you want to go through the last 3rd again.

Redlambs

I love being scared but I'm not sure I'd have the balls to play this game on VR.
Oh mate, you have no idea!

But, in the other hand, it's actually a tad easier to hide and fight. The game is clearly designed for VR, so extra touches like peering through the doors is just amazingly different.

Those giant moth things though, feck me, I've not been so scared since those giant slugs in the sewers in Half Life: Opposing force :(