Gaming Resident Evil 7

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Oh mate, you have no idea!

But, in the other hand, it's actually a tad easier to hide and fight. The game is clearly designed for VR, so extra touches like peering through the doors is just amazingly different.

Those giant moth things though, feck me, I've not been so scared since those giant slugs in the sewers in Half Life: Opposing force :(
After the first 10 mins or so of my first time playing, I considered waiting to get VR and then playing it, then shit kicked off with scary ass bitches chasing me and busting through walls and I decided that the VR would instantly get thrown in the bin, along with my shit stained pants.

Ainu

I still haven't finished my VR run. I thouroughly enjoy most parts of the game in VR, even though I've been scared shitless a couple of times, but I struggle a little with the boss fights. I feel pretty clumsy during those battles in cramped areas. It's caused me to put the game down for a while and has made my playthrough a lot longer than it should've been. But to be honest I never really enjoyed boss fights in these games. I'd still easily recommend the VR version to anyone though, this is really how it should be played.

Peanut Butter

I still haven't finished my VR run. I thouroughly enjoy most parts of the game in VR, even though I've been scared shitless a couple of times, but I struggle a little with the boss fights. I feel pretty clumsy during those battles in cramped areas. It's caused me to put the game down for a while and has made my playthrough a lot longer than it should've been. But to be honest I never really enjoyed boss fights in these games. I'd still easily recommend the VR version to anyone though, this is really how it should be played.
The game is superb apart from the dire boss fights - they stop this from being a 10/10 experience IMO.

b82REZ

Just got this.

The atmosphere is amazing but so unlike any other RE game.

I've just turned it off after failing the Mia flashback. Need to give my heart a rest.

b82REZ

It eventually gets very much like RE1. Which flashback did you get to?
The first one where you're hiding from the mum. Makes it so much scarier when you have no weapons or ways of defending yourself.

I'm in the basement now. The zombies don't seem scary after the hillbillies.

Art Vandelay

The first one where you're hiding from the mum. Makes it so much scarier when you have no weapons or ways of defending yourself.

I'm in the basement now. The zombies don't seem scary after the hillbillies.
Ah yeah, that put the shits up me all right. I hated her, she freaked me right out.

izzydiggler

Had been waiting for a price drop, so finally got it. Will end up costing me a fortune if you add the new underwear I'm going to have to buy.

As a huge fan of the series, I was put off by the change of direction (hence not getting on day 1 - I thought it would be £20 within a week) but after playing for a few hours, it's alleviated any fears.

My only criticism is that at the minute it has nothing to do with Resident Evil and could be a completely separate game. I know this changes - I hope they don't just shoehorn a cameo or an Umbrella document you find and there's a genuine link into the series, rather than a cheap way of adding sales.

Peanut Butter

It was a superb game let down by awful boss battles - I still can't get over how bad they were.

Loved it apart from that. Best in the series? Maybe, for me.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It was a superb game let down by awful boss battles - I still can't get over how bad they were.

Loved it apart from that. Best in the series? Maybe, for me.
First half of the game was great.

Thought it got a bit silly (usual RE) when they got onto the ship, everything before that was fantastic though.

izzydiggler

How much did you get it for? Where?
Not as low as I'd like but I ran out of patience, seeing as though it hadn't dropped at all in over 3 months - was £35 from Game (for the Steelbook version too but they sold out) but I had about £7 worth of points so £28 for me.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not as low as I'd like but I ran out of patience, seeing as though it hadn't dropped at all in over 3 months - was £35 from Game (for the Steelbook version too but they sold out) but I had about £7 worth of points so £28 for me.
That's a good price...

izzydiggler

That's a good price...
I couldn't play it on the launch week, so thought I'd wait for the inevitable instant price crash but it held a high price for so long that it then it became the principle of not paying the launch price a month onwards...I wish I'd just bought it at launch because it's fantastic.

Now I'll go through the same scenario with the DLC...

afrocentricity

I couldn't play it on the launch week, so thought I'd wait for the inevitable instant price crash but it held a high price for so long that it then it became the principle of not paying the launch price a month onwards...I wish I'd just bought it at launch because it's fantastic.

Now I'll go through the same scenario with the DLC...
I still haven't played it and I've got PSVR. I have a backlog that would last a few years to get thru, I can't keep buying games :lol:

This game and Horizon will make me fold tho, I can see myself picking them up quite soon.

Peanut Butter

The thing with Resi 7, despite being brilliant, had absolutely no replay value for me.

izzydiggler

I still haven't played it and I've got PSVR. I have a backlog that would last a few years to get thru, I can't keep buying games :lol:

This game and Horizon will make me fold tho, I can see myself picking them up quite soon.
My collection is stupid - I've got loads of sealed games for the last gen and dozens I've maybe played for an hour or so this gen...I tend to have a few on the go at once for variety but then they get further down the pile so I forget about them...just last week I realised I hadn't finished Gears of War 4 and I keep on dipping back into The Witcher 3 but it's so huge, I'll be playing that for another year probably. Then I went and got Mario Kart and RE7...I have a disease.

And if you can play RE7 with VR, you're a braver person than I - I replayed the opening chapter to enjoy it a bit more without emptying my bowels and even then it was pretty bad.

afrocentricity

Yea it sounds like we both have the same problem. As for RE7 in VR, can't be that bad can it? :nervous:

izzydiggler

The thing with Resi 7, despite being brilliant, had absolutely no replay value for me.
Did you replay all the others? I've gone through the others too many times to count, so had assumed I'd do the same with this one but I'm not that far into it to make that kind of judgement.

I even did the 5th one 5 times, although I've only gone through the 6th once - I don't think it's that bad and has some good moments, it's just far to long to make me want to do it all again...one day I will.

One thing I'll say with 7 is that it's stayed with me and I've been thinking about playing it all day - hope the wife isn't wanting to watch anything!

Peanut Butter

Did you replay all the others? I've gone through the others too many times to count, so had assumed I'd do the same with this one but I'm not that far into it to make that kind of judgement.

I even did the 5th one 5 times, although I've only gone through the 6th once - I don't think it's that bad and has some good moments, it's just far to long to make me want to do it all again...one day I will.

One thing I'll say with 7 is that it's stayed with me and I've been thinking about playing it all day - hope the wife isn't wanting to watch anything!
I replayed 1 and 2 :)

It might be because I am obviously a lot older now. I can't dedicate the time to gaming that I used to? Resi 7 is the best but for some reason I wouldn't want to go back now I have finished it.

izzydiggler

Played through it again to get the bonus items and have started a game through on Madhouse...
it's obviously really hard and you get no time to 'relax', given Jack follows you into places he never did before and is crazy fast...don't think I'm going to enjoy it.

The items you get for finishing in under 4 hours and finding all the Mr Nowhere's will help massively - I never really used the block before but it seemingly now is 100% effective against attacks. The circular saw makes short work of the moulded too...although the first Mia fight was ridiculous.

izzydiggler

I've finished it 6 times now and got everything including the platinum trophy. It has some issues for a Resi game - enemy variety is poor and definitely feels like there's padding towards the end but overall it's a great game.

Still waiting for the DLC to be discounted to pick it up - hoping when it's all released the story is a bit more cohesive and that it feels finished...seems like they withheld a fair bit of content.

I wonder if the Resi 2 remake will be in first-person...the idea of 7 with 2's story and schlocky script sounds pretty amazing but I have a soft spot for the fixed camera angles of the original games.

Art Vandelay

If they released RE2 in first person then did a remake with fixed camera's later, sadly, I'd probably buy it twice.

Is the final RE7 DLC still coming? I've been waiting months and it feels like they just stopped talking about it.

Woodzy

Playing this for this first time at the moment (in VR for a bit... now just regular 2D as I didn’t have the calls).

Either way, it’s a really great game. Just got to the boss fight at the Greenhouse. Terrifying!

onemanarmy

Great game, but it went downhill as soon as you left the house. The ship part was unnecessary.

padr81

Supports
Man City
They always do go down hill because they have to explain away all the fear factor as a virus or other. It's a pity because it would feel better was it supernatural. I felt the same with Resi 4... Amazing game and then you reached the castle...
I love 7, its my fave by a mile. I wasn't huge on the Lucas section and found it the worst in the game tbh... too much Saw not enough RE.

That game scared the bejesus outta me in VR.. the jump scare parts weren't too bad tbh... the worst for me was
When you go upstairs to get the arm of that dead baby thing. You go into the crawl space at the back of Eveline's room and pull that arm off, you turn around and all you see is her standing outside the crawl space. Nothing jump scary, just her legs and she runs(walks) away.

I was afraid to leave the crawl space after that, had to take a break.

Irwin99

I really liked 7 despite the fall of quality when you get to the ship. 5 and 6 were such a disappointment to me as a fan of the series but 7 restored some of my faith. I'm hoping the resident evil 2 remake continues the resurrection of the series.

Woodzy

I got to the shop last night so I agree with what people are saying.

I did enjoy the Lucas section. The Escape Room was brilliant.

Art Vandelay

I really liked 7 despite the fall of quality when you get to the ship. 5 and 6 were such a disappointment to me as a fan of the series but 7 restored some of my faith. I'm hoping the resident evil 2 remake continues the resurrection of the series.
The remake of 2 looks like it's going to be something very special. Have you seen the new screenshots mostly featuring Mr X and Ada? Ada :drool:

I'd be happy for them to remake the entire series. Even 5 and 6 if they make them proper RE games.

padr81

Supports
Man City
The remake of 2 looks like it's going to be something very special. Have you seen the new screenshots mostly featuring Mr X and Ada? Ada :drool:

I'd be happy for them to remake the entire series. Even 5 and 6 if they make them proper RE games.
Agree, no more boulder punching, make 5 great again, 6 was so bad, I'm not sure how they'd fix it.

Art Vandelay

Agree, no more boulder punching, make 5 great again, 6 was so bad, I'm not sure how they'd fix it.
Yeah, take out the co-op nonsense too. 0 needs a similar re-imagining. It's kind of a halfway house between what it was and what it became. They could essentially have a whole new franchise/cash cow with most of the work already done if they handle them right.

Woodzy

Finished 7. Incredible game for me. Definite drop in quality towards the end. I also hated the molded as enemies, so didn’t like the increased focus on those but I guess it was needed for the story.

In fact, this game was all about the house(s) and Baker family for me. If they could have pushed that further it would have been one of the best.

Started Resident Evil 4 to get my fix before RE2 drop some but the controls are a little bit too clunky for me. Not sure I find it playable.