g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming Resident Evil 7

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I've been told by the mrs to add that I squealed like a little girl when I first encountered the cockroaches in the kitchen, and I stubbed my toe on a table pretty badly giving Mia a victory kick on the stomach after the first encounter :(

Oh and she may now have a blackmail video of me jogging on the spot whenever I run in the game, complete with nearly falling over the first time I went down the attic stairs doing that.

This sucks actually.
:lol: Has she had a go yet?

Nickosaur

I've watched a few tutorials - it looks amazingly immersive and to be honest, fecking terrifying. I jumped just watching the let's plays!

I'd never be able to play a game like this. I would shit myself.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I've watched a few tutorials - it looks amazingly immersive and to be honest, fecking terrifying. I jumped just watching the let's plays!

I'd never be able to play a game like this. I would shit myself.
Same as me

I would stuggle just normally, in VR no chance

I couldn't even get past 10 mins of that game outlast. There is a jump scare early on involving a wheelchair. I just turned it off and never played it again :lol:

Nickosaur

Same as me

I would stuggle just normally, in VR no chance

I couldn't even get past 10 mins of that game outlast. There is a jump scare early on involving a wheelchair. I just turned it off and never played it again :lol:
VR is going to give people heart attacks! I really wanted to get Alien Isolation too (still do want to play it tbh) but I know I wouldn't be able to play more than 5 minutes at a time.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
VR is going to give people heart attacks! I really wanted to get Alien Isolation too (still do want to play it tbh) but I know I wouldn't be able to play more than 5 minutes at a time.
Yeah Alien was a no go too. A 10 hour game with constant dread would give me a stroke.

Strange as I love horror movies. But I would never see one in the cinema. I like to be in control of the remote so only watch them at home.

I suppose a game offers me less control which is also why I struggle

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah Alien Isolation would be awesome.
Yea they need to patch that game, perfect for it. Heard good things from those that managed to play it all the way through on Oculus. My first VR experience was Alien Isolation at EGX, it sold me on the tech.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Yeah, but she got much further into the game before we got VR so she hasn't had any genuine scares yet. Bitch :(

Also she sits on the settee playing which is the wrong way to do it!
I hope she sees this post :) Bigger scares for you on the way.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I hope she sees this post :) Bigger scares for you on the way.
She's at work right now, and I took the day off to get some paperwork done...

...and I've already looked over at the poxy headset. Dare I play it in a completely empty house though? And who tells me when I've wandered too close to something? She'll come home to me curled up and crying like a little girl whilst the house is on fire :(

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
She's at work right now, and I took the day off to get some paperwork done...

...and I've already looked over at the poxy headset. Dare I play it in a completely empty house though? And who tells me when I've wandered too close to something? She'll come home to me curled up and crying like a little girl whilst the house is on fire :(
:lol; Sounds like a good day! I've seen you can buy a RE7 candle on amazon too, gives you the smells. Do it!!!

Redlambs

Anyway, do you recommend I purchase VR now or wait for more games?
For Re7 alone, if you have the cash, yeah :D

However I do remain skeptical about just how much Sony are going to support this and if we get many more games like RE7 to fully justify it. On the plus side it's already proven that unlike the eye and Kinect systems, it can have full on AAA games work well, but it's worrying Sony haven't really pushed any future titles as of yet and the lack of units/move controllers out there at the moment shows they haven't really pushed into manufacturing as much as they could have. So in all honesty I struggle to recommend a purchase now, unless you can spare the cash, then RE7 really is worth experiencing full on :drool:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
For Re7 alone, if you have the cash, yeah :D

However I do remain skeptical about just how much Sony are going to support this and if we get many more games like RE7 to fully justify it. On the plus side it's already proven that unlike the eye and Kinect systems, it can have full on AAA games work well, but it's worrying Sony haven't really pushed any future titles as of yet and the lack of units/move controllers out there at the moment shows they haven't really pushed into manufacturing as much as they could have. So in all honesty I struggle to recommend a purchase now, unless you can spare the cash, then RE7 really is worth experiencing full on :drool:
It is RE7 which is tempting me most tbh, I don't want to play it normally and want to wait to VR it, as I want all the suspense and surprises. However like you I am not sure how much Sony are going to push this, infact, I'm not sure any of the guys doing VR are going to keep it going, could be another 3d, everyone promises the world then just abandons it. Could just be another gimmick, people didn't like 3d due to the glasses/headaches, and this basically has the same prolem, giving people headaches and sickness (wusses) and having a thing stuck on your face.

I just looked up the upcoming games and nothing looks close to RE7 tbh, the ARK park thing looked kind of cool but it as with most VR games, they look limited to what you can do and probably dont have much replayability :s I think I'll leave it for a while, prefer a steering wheel set up for the price.

Redlambs

It is RE7 which is tempting me most tbh, I don't want to play it normally and want to wait to VR it, as I want all the suspense and surprises. However like you I am not sure how much Sony are going to push this, infact, I'm not sure any of the guys doing VR are going to keep it going, could be another 3d, everyone promises the world then just abandons it. Could just be another gimmick, people didn't like 3d due to the glasses/headaches, and this basically has the same prolem, giving people headaches and sickness (wusses) and having a thing stuck on your face.

I just looked up the upcoming games and nothing looks close to RE7 tbh, the ARK park thing looked kind of cool but it as with most VR games, they look limited to what you can do and probably dont have much replayability :s I think I'll leave it for a while, prefer a steering wheel set up for the price.
Neither myself or my missus (and she wears glasses) experienced any kind of sickness tbh. I get it does happen, but I can't see it lasting. In fact I was convinced she'd feel it as she doesn't like the 3D in the 3DS, but she played VR for a good couple of hours straight with no issues. It is comfortable and you do quickly forget you are wearing it tbh, apart from the poxy heavy cable that is, plus unlike the PC versions, you can play from the settee which is cool. But yeah, it needs games.

Resi7 really is amazing with it, I can't even describe the feeling of being able to look around/under/over every little thing and just how much it brings characters to life too, it really is unsettling just how lifelike they can be, some taller than you, others shorter, eye contact,etc... it's hard to compare it to the standard game, but you just miss soooo much detail on the tv. But ~£450 to play one game is a hard sell.

Redlambs

I've just done the:

First Mia video

And even though I know how it ends, I still pooped myself. That was a genuine jump moment :lol:

One thing that bugs me though is the camera resets to center every time something canned happens (like Jack grabbing you), which makes combat frustrating if you are standing up :(

vanthaman

Winner
I think I'm near the end now, I'm really enjoying it but it doesn't really seem like resident evil. And I'm so pissed off it didn't have the resident evil voice at the beginning

siw2007

As it's payday I was thinking of getting this. The demo was good and I like the concept but unfortunately I didn't get along well with The Evil Within which makes me question whether I'd enjoy this at all. I don't intend on getting VR but would you guys recommend this or should I save up??

Redlambs

I think I'm near the end now, I'm really enjoying it but it doesn't really seem like resident evil. And I'm so pissed off it didn't have the resident evil voice at the beginning
It's made really for VR. Feels a lot more RE in that, it has to be said. But yeah the story and lack of RE touches like more descriptions, and of course the voice at the start, kind of make it seem more in the universe rather than a direct game.

As it's payday I was thinking of getting this. The demo was good and I like the concept but unfortunately I didn't get along well with The Evil Within which makes me question whether I'd enjoy this at all. I don't intend on getting VR but would you guys recommend this or should I save up??
The Evil Within was shite, this isn't. Though in terms of game type, it depends what about TEW you didn't like specifically.

siw2007

It's made really for VR. Feels a lot more RE in that, it has to be said. But yeah the story and lack of RE touches like more descriptions, and of course the voice at the start, kind of make it seem more in the universe rather than a direct game.

The Evil Within was shite, this isn't. Though in terms of game type, it depends what about TEW you didn't like specifically.
I thought that TEW was really dull and the combat was irritating. There was a mission in a village where a massive zombie thing with a chainsaw followed you about and killing it was not fun and frustrated me to no end, when I got to the mission where it wanted me to defend some ally I gave up as defending other characters from dying is a pet hate of mine.

Redlambs

I thought that TEW was really dull and the combat was irritating. There was a mission in a village where a massive zombie thing with a chainsaw followed you about and killing it was not fun and frustrated me to no end, when I got to the mission where it wanted me to defend some ally I gave up as defending other characters from dying is a pet hate of mine.
It is dull and frustrating, you are right there!

It's still hard to tell really if you'd like RE7 based off of that. It's slow paced and the combat is methodical, there's a lot of sneaking and scares too, but it's miles better than TEW in every aspect.

Ainu

Yeah I gotta be honest, it's pretty spectacular in VR.

Now if you play it like me, you'll spend at least 2 hours before you even get to the end of the first bit, but I wanted to check out every nook and cranny to see just how far they went with the texturing and design. You also notice so much more you'll never see playing it on a t.v. Also play it standing up so you can fully spin around (feck that 30degree stuff) and you'll beable to lean over walls and behind stuff, like the first screen where you load the game, looking around that room is fantastic alone. The only thing I don't like is the crouching and cut scenes throw you off a bit.

Consider me impressed. I'd highly recommend it, the only downer is whether or not Sony will be supporting vr fully.
I don't have any experience with VR so I'm just guessing, but isn't that a bit dangerous? Don't you lose your balance or run into things? I'm on the fence, I absolutely love horror games and playing it in VR sounds like a great experience, but I can't see myself playing this standing around my living room blind, it just seems risky. On the other hand, I saw a video of someone playing it sitting down and then you need that awkward right stick movement, which doesn't seem ideal at all. Perhaps sitting in in a rotating office chair would work, but then turning around would take ages. A bit like those good old tank controls of the original games.

siw2007

It is dull and frustrating, you are right there!

It's still hard to tell really if you'd like RE7 based off of that. It's slow paced and the combat is methodical, there's a lot of sneaking and scares too, but it's miles better than TEW in every aspect.
I don't mind slow and methodical. I've beat games like MGS5 and am doing well at Dishonored 2 which are somewhat slower games. I prefer solving puzzles in games as opposed to full on combat as I mostly suck at fighting anyway.

Redlambs

I don't have any experience with VR so I'm just guessing, but isn't that a bit dangerous? Don't you lose your balance or run into things? I'm on the fence, I absolutely love horror games and playing it in VR sounds like a great experience, but I can't see myself playing this standing around my living room blind, it just seems risky. On the other hand, I saw a video of someone playing it sitting down and then you need that awkward right stick movement, which doesn't seem ideal at all. Perhaps sitting in in a rotating office chair would work, but then turning around would take ages. A bit like those good old tank controls of the original games.
No, you don't physically move around, you just stand up on the spot which lets you move around 360 and does away with the need for that jerky right stick. It works so much better, because you can lean through windows, peer through doorways (there's a reason you can slightly open doors in RE7 that doesn't make much sense until you play the VR version) and basically check much more out. It really is great fun.

I don't mind slow and methodical. I've beat games like MGS5 and am doing well at Dishonored 2 which are somewhat slower games. I prefer solving puzzles in games as opposed to full on combat as I mostly suck at fighting anyway.
Well RE7 doesn't have a huge amount of puzzle solving, but then again it's not rammed with combat either.

Ainu

No, you don't physically move around, you just stand up on the spot which lets you move around 360 and does away with the need for that jerky right stick. It works so much better, because you can lean through windows, peer through doorways (there's a reason you can slightly open doors in RE7 that doesn't make much sense until you play the VR version) and basically check much more out. It really is great fun.
I know you don't physically walk around, but this being a horror game I can imagine you instinctively jerk away from jump scares. Are you playing VR on a normal PS4 or a pro by the way? I think if I'd go VR I'd also buy the pro. The combination would set me back 800 EUR (fortunately already got the old ps4 camera), which is a lot of money but not necessarily a stumbling block if it's really worth it.

Redlambs

I know you don't physically walk around, but this being a horror game I can imagine you instinctively jerk away from jump scares. Are you playing VR on a normal PS4 or a pro by the way? I think if I'd go VR I'd also buy the pro. The combination would set me back 800 EUR (fortunately already got the old ps4 camera), which is a lot of money but not necessarily a stumbling block if it's really worth it.
:lol: The only time I actually moved is when I kicked a table for real whilst kicking a corpse of the first guy you kill in the game! Oh and I tend to jog on the spot like an idiot when I run in the game, but believe me it really does add to the motion sense. It's hard to explain, but you have to play it to understand. My gf plays it sitting down though and it still works great, I just like to get the maximum I can out of stuff like this. But no, you don't need to wander anywhere, it doesn't work like that, you just lean and turn around a lot :) It does help we have an L-shaped big settee that I use as my guide (as sometimes landing pad) though :lol:

We have the pro btw, I've not played it with a standard PS4. It's hard to recommend the VR by itself right now as anything other than a fancy purchase if you have spare cash, as the future is unclear. However, that being said, it does work brilliantly, even to the point my otherwise tight with money GF is letting me look seriously at getting an Occulus Rift or Vive this year.

Dan

Really don't think I can play this as i'm still recovering from the dogs jumping through the window in Resident Evil 1. :nervous:

Ainu

:lol: The only time I actually moved is when I kicked a table for real whilst kicking a corpse of the first guy you kill in the game! Oh and I tend to jog on the spot like an idiot when I run in the game, but believe me it really does add to the motion sense. It's hard to explain, but you have to play it to understand. My gf plays it sitting down though and it still works great, I just like to get the maximum I can out of stuff like this. But no, you don't need to wander anywhere, it doesn't work like that, you just lean and turn around a lot :) It does help we have an L-shaped big settee that I use as my guide (as sometimes landing pad) though :lol:

We have the pro btw, I've not played it with a standard PS4. It's hard to recommend the VR by itself right now as anything other than a fancy purchase if you have spare cash, as the future is unclear. However, that being said, it does work brilliantly, even to the point my otherwise tight with money GF is letting me look seriously at getting an Occulus Rift or Vive this year.
I folded, ordered the Pro and VR, along with Resi Evil and Driveclub VR. Even got myself the licenced PS VR headset and a couple of move controllers just for the sake of it. :nervous: I'm an absolute disaster at impulse buying. I doubt I'll regret it though.

Redlambs

I folded, ordered the Pro and VR, along with Resi Evil and Driveclub VR. Even got myself the licenced PS VR headset and a couple of move controllers just for the sake of it. :nervous: I'm an absolute disaster at impulse buying. I doubt I'll regret it though.
I haven't tried Drive club yet, and don't get my move controllers until tonight. But in terms of the pro, Resi 7 and VR, you shouldn't regret it :lol:

Ainu

Just played some of it in VR, it's incredible. Creepy as feck. The graphics lack a bit of sharpness in VR but still, after a while it's like you're really there. I've played it standing up so far and it works fine for me, no nausea or anything. It helps with the immersion. It's basically everything I'd hoped VR would be, and this is just the beginning. Exciting times ahead!

Ainu

@Redlambs Do you never have an issue with the headset cable twisting around your feet when playing it standing up? I'm still trying to figure out what's the best way too handle this. I usually try to untwist myself and then correct the direction using the right stick from time to time, a sort of physical reset. It's not ideal but less risky than trying to step over the cable in hectics scenes. Also, aiming a gun with my head will take some time. :lol: It's actually pretty intuitive, but precision aiming requires a steadiness that I don't quite possess yet.

The only truly annoying thing with VR in this game is the jarring switch in viewpoint during certain scenes. One moment you're staring at a door where an enemy is about to burst through and after a short cutscene you're suddenly staring in a completely different direction. Extremely disorienting.

Redlambs

Just played some of it in VR, it's incredible. Creepy as feck. The graphics lack a bit of sharpness in VR but still, after a while it's like you're really there. I've played it standing up so far and it works fine for me, no nausea or anything. It helps with the immersion. It's basically everything I'd hoped VR would be, and this is just the beginning. Exciting times ahead!
Seriously, try jogging on the spot when you click the run button, especially down stairs :)

@Redlambs Do you never have an issue with the headset cable twisting around your feet when playing it standing up? I'm still trying to figure out what's the best way too handle this. I usually try to untwist myself and then correct the direction using the right stick from time to time, a sort of physical reset. It's not ideal but less risky than trying to step over the cable in hectics scenes. Also, aiming a gun with my head will take some time. :lol: It's actually pretty intuitive, but precision aiming requires a steadiness that I don't quite possess yet.

The only truly annoying thing with VR in this game is the jarring switch in viewpoint during certain scenes. One moment you're staring at a door where an enemy is about to burst through and after a short cutscene you're suddenly staring in a completely different direction. Extremely disorienting.
Yeah the physical reset is pretty much what I do, that's the worst bit about the design that poxy cable hangs and adds to the weight. I might find a way to clip it to my jeans or something.

And yeah that camera reset when you are grabbed thing is what I spoke about above, it's very jarring and takes a little while to get used to. Like I said before, I use my corner settee as a reference point now, if my legs touch each side I know I'm facing forward. It works really well.

Enjoyable game tbh. Will have to play this on VR eventually.

The final third was great fun.
It's a whole new level in VR. You'll likely do what I do, after playing Alien Isolation, and double your playing time by peering round every corner and through every crack in wooden beams :lol:

Redlambs

Totally. I'll be looking at every asset from every angle. :lol:
It's really well done, they have gone the extra mile to model and texture everything. I keep trying to catch them out.

Like the van you come across right at the very start, all the dash and inside panels are modelled and textured, but you'd never know on a tv. I think I said before that I went around the entire guest house checking all the wallpaper hanging off the wall for texturing behind, I've since even set the vr up sitting down, so when I stand up on the settee I can look through the ceiling gaps :lol: