Gaming Retro Video Game Thread

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
That was nice, very relaxing :)

I've never really got into the Final Fantasy games, but would like to get one or two of the SNES ones to give a proper go, but they're generally quite expensive :(
Square have pretty much ported them to every single device in existence, should be easy enough to pick up.

Sure my watch has Final Fantasy II on it...

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
That was nice, very relaxing :)

I've never really got into the Final Fantasy games, but would like to get one or two of the SNES ones to give a proper go, but they're generally quite expensive :(

Surprised a ROM hasn't found its way to you yet.

http://www.coolrom.com/

Never ever go on that website.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
You would like them Olly.
Do you have some of them? Can I have, er... borrow one of them?

Square have pretty much ported them to every single device in existence, should be easy enough to pick up.

Sure my watch has Final Fantasy II on it...
I'd like to get the 2D ones (ideally the NES of SNES ones), but apart from those and the GBA every other system's version seems to be 3D. Luckily the ones on the GBA aren't as expensive, so maybe I'll get one of those some time.

Surprised a ROM hasn't found its way to you yet.

http://www.coolrom.com/

Never ever go on that website.
I don't like emulators TBH. I'm not a fan of not playing on the original system and not having an original copy of the game :( Apart from using them to make sure a game isn't completely shit before I buy it or recording a short bit of gameplay for some reason I rarely use them. Maybe I'll just end up getting one, play it on the PSP and pretend I have the GBA version :lol:

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I'd like to get the 2D ones (ideally the NES of SNES ones), but apart from those and the GBA every other system's version seems to be 3D. Luckily the ones on the GBA aren't as expensive, so maybe I'll get one of those some time.
Skip Final Fantasy II, it has some awful game mechanics.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I have them downloaded on my PS3 if you have one I can let you log in with my account and download them.
I do have one and have had you as a friend on there for years :(

Wouldn't you risk getting your account banned by doing that?

Skip Final Fantasy II, it has some awful game mechanics.
So which FF actually is that? I know they renamed some of them outside of Japan and apparently Final Fantasy IV is actually the same as Final Fantasy II... but then they changed the name back to the original Japanese title... or something :houllier:
I'd stick to the pre-PS2 ones, Olly, before the series started getting silly.
Cool thanks for the tip :)

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
So which FF actually is that? I know they renamed some of them outside of Japan and apparently Final Fantasy IV is actually the same as Final Fantasy II... but then they changed the name back to the original Japanese title... or something :houllier:
I mean the original Final Fantasy II. Real shame as the story seemed quite good.

IV is a brilliant game, but some ports(and the original IIRC), have a glitch that if you pause during battle, the enemies still attack. I know for sure it's on the PSX version.

KingEric7

I don't like emulators TBH. I'm not a fan of not playing on the original system and not having an original copy of the game :( Apart from using them to make sure a game isn't completely shit before I buy it or recording a short bit of gameplay for some reason I rarely use them. Maybe I'll just end up getting one, play it on the PSP and pretend I have the GBA version :lol:
Go for it. :D You're missing out there! As for the PS2 FFs, FFX is excellent, FFX-2 is pretty good but a step in the wrong direction (and a bit silly like Aboutreika18 says), and FF12 was just dull from memory. Will probably have to give it another a chance I think but it seemed a poor version of the more recent Xenoblade back then.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
What? :lol: what's your PSN Olly? I genuinely didn't know this
StaticAge. Must have added you in about 2009, I even sent you a message :(

Hardly ever go online and must be about two years at least since I last logged on though.

Go for it. :D You're missing out there! As for the PS2 FFs, FFX is excellent, FFX-2 is pretty good but a step in the wrong direction (and a bit silly like Aboutreika18 says), and FF12 was just dull from memory. Will probably have to give it another a chance I think but it seemed a poor version of the more recent Xenoblade back then.
Ah, I still have Xenoblade sitting on my shelf ready to be played :drool:

It's also worth creating a US PSN and downloading Final Fantasy Tactics, if you're avoiding emulators.
I'll give that a shot some time too :)

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Forgive me for forgetting Olly. If you want my login details to download them just PM me. Think I've got 5,6,7,8 and 9 purchased.
My wireless doesn't seem to be working properly at the moment so I'm not sure I'd be able to connect to download them. Thanks though, I appreciate the offer :)

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Only problem is they're the 50hz versions if they're from the EU PSN, I think.
Yeah, that's a niggle. I did forget, FFVII is glitchy as feck on both PSP and Vita, dunno why Square don't fix it.
I have nothing against them at all, i had a PS2 and i'll probably get a PS4. I just have no Sony stuff right now. Maybe a VITA might be in the offing then if i can find a cheap one.
Yeah, I get ya mate, I was just taking the piss, like usual. Vita just went down in price too, and has a new model coming out, should be some sweet 2nd hand deals about soon.
I probably enjoyed 5 more than 4. Does seem to not get the love it probably deserves.
It's strange, it's probably the most polished FF of the pre PSX generation, story was good, and the Job system was fantastic and varied. Absolutely no downsides.

KingEric7

StaticAge. Must have added you in about 2009, I even sent you a message :(

Hardly ever go online and must be about two years at least since I last logged on though.

Ah, I still have Xenoblade sitting on my shelf ready to be played :drool:

I'll give that a shot some time too :)

That has a soundtrack. :drool: It might even be the best, I don't know. It's up there!

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
Yeah, I get ya mate, I was just taking the piss, like usual. Vita just went down in price too, and has a new model coming out, should be some sweet 2nd hand deals about soon.
Looks to be some fairly decent deals about now actually, can you just quickly explain what they mean by the WiFi Vita? Also, some have 8GB memory cards, is that shit?

KingEric7

I wish Xenoblade came out on like, any console other than the Wii. Bah.

I can't understand why it didn't! The whole release was a disaster. The first print sold out almost immediately but then it wasn't printed again. It then took literally about 2 years to get to both North America and Europe, where it was an instant hit and is now very expensive and difficult to get hold of. I then read the other week that that they recently 'found' a load of Xenoblade copies and are selling it at some absurd price. I can't get to grips with why the whole thing was so restricted and silly - it's a quality game! Drab characters for the most part but everything else is at least very good.

Yeah I've heard a couple of tracks on Youtube that were nice. Didn't want to listen to too many though before playing the game.

Wise move.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Looks to be some fairly decent deals about now actually, can you just quickly explain what they mean by the WiFi Vita? Also, some have 8GB memory cards, is that shit?
Some Vitas have 3G capability(and Wifi), ones marked as Wifi don't do 3G. I thought 3G was pretty pointless myself, tbh, though you can often find the 3G ones cheaper for some reason....
8 isn't good if you plan on doing a lot of downloading, I have a 16 full, and at least two thirds of the way through a 32 as well. I think a PSX Final Fantasy is like 1-1.5gb to download, can't quite remember.

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
Some Vitas have 3G capability(and Wifi), ones marked as Wifi don't do 3G. I thought 3G was pretty pointless myself, tbh, though you can often find the 3G ones cheaper for some reason....
8 isn't good if you plan on doing a lot of downloading, I have a 16 full, and at least two thirds of the way through a 32 as well. I think a PSX Final Fantasy is like 1-1.5gb to download, can't quite remember.
Ok, well i can't seem to see many with more then 8GB memory cards anyways so i guess if i do buy one i'll just get another memory card (bigger one) as well. Hopefully they aren't too expensive.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Ok, well i can't seem to see many with more then 8GB memory cards anyways so i guess if i do buy one i'll just get another memory card (bigger one) as well. Hopefully they aren't too expensive.
There is a deal on at Amazon for vita, 8 gb card and 10 game download code, most of the games are rubbish though. But it's still good value.

I was lucky enough to receive a free vita recently, it's a nifty gadget but game selection is terrible compared to 3ds.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I can't understand why it didn't! The whole release was a disaster. The first print sold out almost immediately but then it wasn't printed again. It then took literally about 2 years to get to both North America and Europe, where it was an instant hit and is now very expensive and difficult to get hold of. I then read the other week that that they recently 'found' a load of Xenoblade copies and are selling it at some absurd price. I can't get to grips with why the whole thing was so restricted and silly - it's a quality game! Drab characters for the most part but everything else is at least very good.
Yeah, Gamestop just came across an entire warehouse full of mint, unopened, but used copies of Xenoblade. :lol:

Mistwalker are in the same boat though, no clue why they didn't get Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon on PS3... I mean, they literally went out of their way to find the console with the smallest RPG userbase to make their games exclusive on....

KingEric7

Because it's a first party Nintendo game :p

Ah. :lol:

Still... I can't understand what went on with the Wii release. Odd, and even more so considering the 'found copies' now. Surely it's a reprint?

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Tbh, the cards are an absolute rip, best off keeping an eye on the 2nd hand market for them too. IIRC I got mine of Amazon, or Ebay or something cheap.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Ah. :lol:

Still... I can't understand what went on with the Wii release. Odd, and even more so considering the 'found copies' now. Surely it's a reprint?
In my opinion Gamestop knew at release it was going to be hard to find after a short while, so kept a load back to sell later on at a higher price. They did something similar with the Metroid Prime Trilogy IIRC.

Those dirty bastards.
:lol: