Gaming Retro Video Game Thread

TheReligion

Abusive
Speaking of the Commodore 64 does anyone know the name of that cops and robbers game where you had to steal things without being noticed?

I remember doing alright until I got to a level where the lights kept going out and there were ghosts

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
:lol: To be fair, past the early stages they just aren't as hard as I thought. Still, that's gotta suck!

I think they are going for £40-£60 now especially sealed. Doesn't matter to me though, I'll never sell anyway.
I'm not that great at them, especially the puzzle solving, so I get stuck quite easily.

I've played the DS version most recently. It's mostly just a port of the PS1 version with a couple of extra features but it's a good enough way to play it portably (I'm not sure if that's a word).

I'm moving outside of "retro" here though... :p

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I'm not that great at them, especially the puzzle solving, so I get stuck quite easily.

I've played the DS version most recently. It's mostly just a port of the PS1 version with a couple of extra features but it's a good enough way to play it portably (I'm not sure if that's a word).

I'm moving outside of "retro" here though... :p
Really? I didn't think the puzzles where ever all that. I'm breezing through the remake. Admittedly though, I've barely played 2 and haven't ever touched Nemesis, Veronica or Zero.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Really? I didn't think the puzzles where ever all that. I'm breezing through the remake. Admittedly though, I've barely played 2 and haven't ever touched Nemesis, Veronica or Zero.
Yeah, I'd end up having to look in a guide and just wonder how the hell I was ever supposed to figure it out. I rarely bothered to read the diaries and memos etc though, so that probably didn't help.

Redlambs

Yeah, I'd end up having to look in a guide and just wonder how the hell I was ever supposed to figure it out. I rarely bothered to read the diaries and memos etc though, so that probably didn't help.
:lol: It probably didn't! How bad is your attention span though? Mines shit, but even I could be arsed to read those little things :lol:

Mind you I do have more patience these days. I haven't shattered a controller in years :)

TheReligion

Abusive
I probably have it still on my C64. I'll be fecked if I'm digging it out though to find out. I can't be asked to google it either, so I'll just assume you are nuts!

Nice retro game remember though :D

My memory is exceptional Lambshank.

Enjoy.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
:lol: It probably didn't! How bad is your attention span though? Mines shit, but even I could be arsed to read those little things :lol:

Mind you I do have more patience these days. I haven't shattered a controller in years :)
Terrible, any games that give anything like that I just skip them and and never bother with them. Like in Bioshock those audio diaries, I don't think I ever listened to one of them. I just want to play the game, even if it means I'll end up not knowing what the hell I'm supposed to do :lol:

Redlambs

I remember it being frustrating as hell. I didn't know you could go back to the getaway car and dump your diamonds by the way. Bastard.
Yeah, didn't some levels have the car at the top?

Terrible, any games that give anything like that I just skip them and and never bother with them. Like in Bioshock those audio diaries, I don't think I ever listened to one of them. I just want to play the game, even if it means I'll end up not knowing what the hell I'm supposed to do :lol:
In Bioshock they played in the background! How could you not listen to them? :lol:

Redlambs

Ok, two games that really spring to mind now we are talking classic games people probably don't know.

Do yourselves a favour, get a speccy emulator and play Plunder and Auto duel. I fecking loved those games! Pirates and the likes of chase HQ owe a hell of a lot to them.

WeasteDevil

In complete seriousness, this is one of the only moments I've ever looked at a machine and thought "how is it doing this?" I even searched around the back of it, I still said "WTF!" The sound was just so incredible.

Then I learnt how the feck it did it!

You have to remember, she only had 512KB of RAM and a 1MB floppy disc.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I assume RPGs are most suited to smartphones and unfortunately not platformers or action games, so I'll say...

Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Illusion of Time (Gaia)
Terranigma

I played this earlier this year and it's probably the only ending to something I can remember that made me feel like I did after the last episode of The Shield. It takes a while to get going and the dialogue is nothing like as good as FF6's for the most part, but feck me that hit hard! Great game.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Earliest gaming memory:

Dizzy, Spectrum ZX

Most time spent on a game before age of 12:

Monkey Island 1-3

Most time spent on a game (whole life):

Wing Commander (entire series)

They don't make 'em like they used to.

Redlambs

I've done 2 and on to 3 now. I forget how boring those two were!

It just highlights how good the remake of 1 really was :drool:

Ok, two games that really spring to mind now we are talking classic games people probably don't know.

Do yourselves a favour, get a speccy emulator and play Plunder and Auto duel. I fecking loved those games! Pirates and the likes of chase HQ owe a hell of a lot to them.

Anyone else ever played either of these, especially plunder? Great Pirate game that was, Sid Meir obviously took note :)

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I've done 2 and on to 3 now. I forget how boring those two were!

It just highlights how good the remake of 1 really was :drool:
I've never played the second one, but I liked the third. It was the first one I got though so maybe that's part of the reason. I really liked the locations of the third, the streets mainly. Those mixed in with Nemesis jumping out, I thought it was pretty good :)

Redlambs

I've never played the second one, but I liked the third. It was the first one I got though so maybe that's part of the reason. I really liked the locations of the third, the streets mainly. Those mixed in with Nemesis jumping out, I thought it was pretty good :)

If you had played 2 right before, you'd realise what a bit of a add-on it actually was.

I forgot before playing them that they weren't remakes too, boy was I shocked! :lol:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
If you had played 2 right before, you'd realise what a bit of a add-on it actually was.

I forgot before playing them that they weren't remakes too, boy was I shocked! :lol:
Ah yes, I can imagine the difference in quality being quite noticeable :lol:

I'll get RE2 sometime, just so that I'll eventually have all of the originals.