Gaming Retro Video Game Thread

JP77

Fired my Wii back up the other day after it's been sat there for about 5 months of not being used. Still the massive benefit of having one is for the retro gaming it can bring!

Just a few of the classics I've been playing along with the Mario's, Castlevania etc. Seriously, am I going crazy or had I just forgotten how fecking hard some of these games were back in the day? A few months back I was thinking "Man, I loved those games but they'll probably be too easy when I replay them nowadays!". I'm not sure if I've just got massively shit (I'm too good for that to be true :lol:) or if I'd seriously forgotten that some of these games were hard as feck back in the days.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Robocod! That was a hard game. If I remember right there was no save option. I used to get stuck on a part of that game and I could get never get by it. A few years ago I looked at a youtube video to see how the game ended and the part where I got stuck was just before the end. The Slippery bastard!

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I've been playing Link to the Past recently. Never owned it myself until now so it's great to have it. It's brilliant.

Good choice with Zombies At My Neighbours too, really fun game :) And no it's not just you, a lot of the games, especially on the NES, are very hard :lol:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Great touch that! :lol:

Anyway I've been playing Geist this week, cool game and very underused concept. I don't suppose many have heard of it, but it's decent and the multiplayer is like Goldeneye with ghosts :)

Redlambs

I've heard of it, but haven't played it. Hopefully will pick it up one day.
It's a decent game, though a lot more could be done with it. It's fun being able to take over plenty of stuff, and somehow never gets boring doing it, plus the neat little touches and viewpoints when you do certainly could be used in some awesome ways nowadays.

Redlambs

I just watched this review, looks like fun. I knew about the ghost thing before but I didn't know that you could possess that many things.

Yeah, the best moments are scripted, but it is fun overall.

Playing split-screen, taking over your brother and making him jump down a lift shaft is absolutely brilliant fun! If the shooting was better, it'd rival Perfect Dark is the hilarious moments.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Damn, the Addams Family music on the Mega Drive version is bad.

Yeah, the best moments are scripted, but it is fun overall.

Playing split-screen, taking over your brother and making him jump down a lift shaft is absolutely brilliant fun! If the shooting was better, it'd rival Perfect Dark is the hilarious moments.
:lol: Sounds like a good laugh.

Redlambs

Damn, the Addams Family music on the Mega Drive version is bad.
All music and voice on the megadrive is bad! Awful, just awful sound chip.

:lol: Sounds like a good laugh.

It's brilliant fun! The moment you are taken over and the controller won't respond and you watch yourself walking deliberately into the path of a rocket, or into an explosion, or off a cliff is soul destroying :lol:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
All music and voice on the megadrive is bad! Awful, just awful sound chip.
I do prefer SNES music a lot more but this is pretty damn good!

It's brilliant fun! The moment you are taken over and the controller won't respond and you watch yourself walking deliberately into the path of a rocket, or into an explosion, or off a cliff is soul destroying :lol:
:lol:

With all that and the sanity effects on Eternal Darkness, Nintendo sure liked to screw with people during that period.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Can't pretend to know too much about him or his ideas, but if he headed Nintendo for all that time then he clearly must've been a ridiculous influential person in the gaming industry.

On a side note, every time I see the term "Wii-U" I wonder just why on earth they went for that name. It sounds like some sort of add-on; it's a ridiculous marketing decision to name a new console like that. Not one for snappy names but surely going with 'Nintendo U' would've been a miles better idea.

I bet if this guy was still in charge he'd have had none of that.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Can't pretend to know too much about him or his ideas, but if he headed Nintendo for all that time then he clearly must've been a ridiculous influential person in the gaming industry.
Here's a few years of history rounded up by the BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24157526

"Game Over" by David Sheff is a good book for anyone interested in that kind of stuff. Has the history of Nintendo up until the 90s.

On a side note, every time I see the term "Wii-U" I wonder just why on earth they went for that name. It sounds like some sort of add-on; it's a ridiculous marketing decision to name a new console like that. Not one for snappy names but surely going with 'Nintendo U' would've been a miles better idea.
They presumably thought using the name of their previous system, like they did with the 3DS, was a good idea since it sold a lot. It probably would have worked out alright if they'd announced and released it a year or so earlier. They left the gap between the Wii and Wii U much too long.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Recently started playing Theme Hospital and Theme Park World again. I'm just as shit as I was when I was a kid.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
The first game I remember playing was Alex Kidd in Miracle World. It came built into the Sega Master System II.
Ah playing rock, paper, scissors against yanken the great!!

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I dont think I ever finished the game. I'll have a look and see if I can find it.
It took ages but it's the only game I had for a long time so eventually me and my brother completed it, with a little help from one of my mates.

KingEric7

Here's a few years of history rounded up by the BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24157526

"Game Over" by David Sheff is a good book for anyone interested in that kind of stuff. Has the history of Nintendo up until the 90s.

They presumably thought using the name of their previous system, like they did with the 3DS, was a good idea since it sold a lot. It probably would have worked out alright if they'd announced and released it a year or so earlier. They left the gap between the Wii and Wii U much too long.

It's different with the 3DS. They obviously clocked on to the fact that people would unconsciously recognise the algebraic truth of 3DS > DS, therefore sneakily Derren Browning everyone into thinking the 3DS was three times better than the DS when they named it like that. Crafty. ;)

Good article that, by the way.

But, for me, the most significant decision he ever made, the one that really transformed video gaming, was to ignore the analysts, the retail chains and the advice of consumer focus groups who told him that no-one in the USA wanted to buy games consoles anymore.
It was 1984 and Yamauchi was hoping to replicate the success that Nintendo's Famicom console had been enjoying in Japan in the USA.
Big moment!

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
It's different with the 3DS. They obviously clocked on to the fact that people would unconsciously recognise the algebraic truth of 3DS > DS, therefore sneakily Derren Browned everyone into thinking the 3DS was three times better than the DS when they named it like that. Crafty. ;)
Those sneaky bastards :mad:

Big moment!
Yep!

KingEric7

Can't go wrong!

Was trying my absolute hardest last week funnily enough to get hold of The Blake Robinson Synthetic Orchestra arrangements. Just can't find it anywhere, it's so annoying! Only heard clips here and there but it's an album full of stuff like this:

The full thing isn't even on Youtube yet which is a shame. Love their arrangements - never overstated and always true to the originals.

Ah well... will have to make do with the real deal:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
The music is great, that orchestral version is awesome. I was listening to an orchestral version of some of the Secret of Mana songs a couple of months ago and those were great too. I have to say I prefer that comparing the originals I prefer Secret of Mana's soundtrack, but both are great.

Last time I played it I ended up playing another game half way through and forgot what I was doing, so hopefully that doesn't happen this time :D

KingEric7

The music is great, that orchestral version is awesome. I was listening to an orchestral version of some of the Secret of Mana songs a couple of months ago and those were great too. I have to say I prefer that comparing the originals I prefer Secret of Mana's soundtrack, but both are great.

Last time I played it I ended up playing another game half way through and forgot what I was doing, so hopefully that doesn't happen this time :D

Cheers again for the warning regarding the orchestrated album - the authorities will be hearing about this. How on earth I never came across this one before is beyond me. Regardless, I've...bought it...and it is excellent. :D

Haven't actually played Secret of Mana for some reason. I don't know why the hell not! The soundtrack gets rave reviews and I had a great symphonic track pop up in my Windows Media the other day. It's from the Symphonic Fantasies album and there are ones for Kingdom Hearts, CT and FF as well:

Gotta say though, somewhat predictably, I think the don is FF6's. Out of the ones I've heard at least.

Terranigma, Chrono Trigger, FF4/5, Lufia etc...all great. FF6 is The One though, in my opinion. It's the Jesse Lingard of SNES soundtracks.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I've never played Secret of Mana all the way through (seems to be a recurring problem for me :lol:) but I'm going to give it a play through this Christmas. SoM is perfect for that time of year so hopefully this will bring back some of the feelings of playing games at Christmas as a kid :) Listened to the soundtrack shit loads of times though.

I hadn't actually heard any music from FF6 (well, not that I could remember) until I saw a video you posted in the Final Fantasy thread which had some awesome music on.

Secret of Evermore is IMO an underrated game, and has some awesome music, absolutely love this one;

Secret of Mana is still the daddy for me though;

:drool:

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I have never played Chrono Trigger. I really must do that one day

Secret of Mana is one of my all time fav games, and I did complete it back in the day. The final boss takes ages if I remember correctly.

Revan

Assumptionman

I think I'm going to play Chrono Trigger!
Go and do that, fool. I wouldn't say that is the second best RPG ever but definitely is a great game, with wonderful story, characters, music and graphics (for that time). It's strategy isn't as good as Final Fantasy games but still it's interesting. A lovely game.

KingEric7

I've never played Secret of Mana all the way through (seems to be a recurring problem for me :lol:) but I'm going to give it a play through this Christmas. SoM is perfect for that time of year so hopefully this will bring back some of the feelings of playing games at Christmas as a kid :) Listened to the soundtrack shit loads of times though.

I hadn't actually heard any music from FF6 (well, not that I could remember) until I saw a video you posted in the Final Fantasy thread which had some awesome music on.

Secret of Evermore is IMO an underrated game, and has some awesome music, absolutely love this one;

Secret of Mana is still the daddy for me though;

Google tells me that Secret of Evermore was scored by Jeremy Soule! Legend...hadn't heard of anything he did prior to the first Elder Scrolls games. That track sounds a lot like an Uematsu one, actually.

The Secret of Mana one does sound good, to be fair. I always thought it was done by Yoko Shimomura (Goddess of game music...) but it turns out that's Legend of Mana. Both are on the list. :D I've a very nerdy folder that is becoming quite massive and I've been a bit slack in adding to it recently aside from that (purchased) Chrono Trigger one.

*By the way, I've just realised this Chrono Trigger one is the actual Blake Synthetic one... I don't know how the hell you found that but thanks! I looked day and night for this the other day so I assumed the link you sent me was some other quality one before seeing the cover. :lol: It only came out a few weeks ago...this is truly shocking stuff.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I used to love Microprose Soccer when I was about 10. World cup competition was very good on it.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I have never played Chrono Trigger. I really must do that one day
You can get the DS version and play it on the 3DS :)

Google tells me that Secret of Evermore was scored by Jeremy Soule! Legend...hadn't heard of anything he did prior to the first Elder Scrolls games. That track sounds a lot like an Uematsu one, actually.

The Secret of Mana one does sound good, to be fair. I always thought it was done by Yoko Shimomura (Goddess of game music...) but it turns out that's Legend of Mana. Both are on the list. :D I've a very nerdy folder that is becoming quite massive and I've been a bit slack in adding to it recently aside from that (purchased) Chrono Trigger one.
There's an album by Hiroki Kikuta called Secret of Mana + that has music based quite a bit on SoM which is nice - Youtube playlist.

*By the way, I've just realised this Chrono Trigger one is the actual Blake Synthetic one... I don't know how the hell you found that but thanks! I looked day and night for this the other day so I assumed the link you sent me was some other quality one before seeing the cover. :lol: It only came out a few weeks ago...this is truly shocking stuff.
Hehe, I know, unfortunately these things just end up finding me ;)

KingEric7

You can get the DS version and play it on the 3DS :)

There's an album by Hiroki Kikuta called Secret of Mana + that has music based quite a bit on SoM which is nice - Youtube playlist.

Hehe, I know, unfortunately these things just end up finding me ;)

How...unfortunate. ;)

Some great stuff on that playlist, by the way. I always wanted Uematsu to branch out like that, but he went more down the route of rock with The Black Mages. Obviously did a shit tonne of music and arrangements but the more abstract takes on his stuff are largely by other composers. His melodies are absolutely made for Japanese Hip Hop!

An album full of that sort of stuff needs to be released immediately.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
That was nice, very relaxing :)

I've never really got into the Final Fantasy games, but would like to get one or two of the SNES ones to give a proper go, but they're generally quite expensive :(