Revisionism: Which players have had their legacies embellished or reduced since retirement?

Pass and Move

Nope, no way, must've missed Milan from the mid noughties, when he was considered to be a pre-eminent European midfielder in his mid 20s (and probably the best regista in football) as the heartbeat of Milan (leading them to European Cup finals), and was arguably THE top midfielder of the 2006 World Cup at age 26.
This is highly entertaining. Carrick has a weakness against top teams and certainly could not do that job. He lacks the skill, guile and mobility to escape pressure and tough situations. He has never shone at European or International levels where as Pirlo has been a decisive factor in Milan, Juve and Italy success stories. Carrick virtually admitted he gave the ball to Scholes and shirked responsibility where as Pirlo was an orchestrator. Your post should be deleted
Well 12 goals and 8 assists during his 195 games at Milan doesn't suggest he was quite as effective as you'd like to make out...

Revan

Assumptionman
Zidane, Scholes, Brazilian Ronaldo have become very overrated since they retired.

Giggs has been so underrated here during the last few years, that you might be thinking it is an-anti United forum.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Well 12 goals and 8 assists during his 195 games at Milan doesn't suggest he was quite as effective as you'd like to make out...
What do goals have to do with excellence as a deep lying playmaker? Fernando Redondo (another incredible holding midfielder) scored 5 goals in his entire Real Madrid career, and he was the best in the world at what he did for most of that period. He didn't even score a competitive goal for them for 3 seasons straight - including the year where he was brilliant against peak Keane, and Scholes:

Was he not quite as effective as I'd like to make out? Folks used this reductive goals and assists arguments with Modrić at Spurs too - without realizing that he was the one threading the balls that led to assists, and pulling the strings for his team. Milan's entire game ran through Pirlo - with him floating ahead of Maldini and Nesta, and he was the brains behind the team that reached 3 Champions League finals in 5 seasons, and was arguably the best European club for 2-3 seasons:

Culero

Who has him in their top 5?
You guys in here are more informed and sensible when it comes to football but ask around, especially people in their early to late 20s, its staggering how highly regarded Zidane is.

This is where I draw the line. You will be surprised how many people think Ziande was better than Messi because of his international record. Iniesta also has a great international record and Zidane is actually closer to Iniesta than to Messi. even Raul states the best he has ever seen is Messi
Agreed, I'm not for a minute questioning his ability and level, I just believe he is the footballer whose great moments (WC, CL final goal etc.) has really put him a level above he actually is among football fans.

Sweet Square

Agree with this. Zidane's legacy was always embellished by performing in big games in front of big (British) audiences. And I think the 2006 World Cup made a real difference - performing so commandingly at that centre stage again - with his career having largely been fizzling out during the previous couple of years.

I wonder if that's more about who is voicing the opinion. Some groups of the new generation of supporters value players more on their statistical contribution or their youtube highlights. Neither way really lends itself towards appreciating the metronomic and off-the-ball dominance of the likes of Keane, or even the great Serie A attackers of the 1980s and 1990s whose goal returns look a little hollow by modern big-club standards.
I think you might be on to something. There's plenty of people on here(I guess they might be more of my generation)who say it's more impressive winning the CL over the World Cup(Something I don't agree with), which I image has something to do with fact International football has on the whole been a bit stale.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
For me it's not the World Cup or Champion's League final moments why I rate Zidane so highly, it's probably more from watching him totally run the show against us for Juve in 1996 and Real in 2003.

Stacks

Are these "alternative facts?" he scored over 40 goals for Milan. Assists were also far higher however I'll admit most would've come from set pieces. reason being, he plays as a Regista. much like Xabi Alonso and Xavi. Their job is to play make from deep, like a quarter back. Orchestrate the play of the team and get the ball to dangerous players in the advance areas of the pitch. these guys jobs aren't to 'rack up assists,' that's for the dudes further forwards. I would've expected your knowledge of player roles to be better than this.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Zidane was thought off as one of the best players of all time by a lot of people. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but he was.

I mean, I bet if I asked 20 random casual football fans if they'd rather have Zidane or Xavi, 18 will say Zidane.
So I just text some of my friends, three answers so far...
Xavi for every game, Zidane for the big games
The bald eagle

Ixion

Irwin was terrific but he often seems untouchable when his name crops up. Possibly because SAF loved him and he had a face like a very pleasant bus driver. But I don't recall him being that good.
Of all the names to be mentioned here...really? When someone is a mainstay in the most dominant team in the country for nearly 10 years and no one ever questions their position in the line-up nor did their form ever dip to warrant being dropped maybe it's because they are that good.

iHicksy

Reduced:

• Paul Ince
  • Sol Campbell - Both have come out with some absolute madness regarding black managers. Campbell especially seems absolutely tapped and seems to believe in positive racism in that he should be granted positions of power that he isn't qualified for simply on the basis of being black and having played for England.

acnumber9

Pirlo.

Only when he started being 'very good despite his age' did people start to consider him one of the best midfielders in Europe.

Also, he looks cool. I genuinely think Carrick playing in Pirlo's place would have been at least as effective, but wouldn't have received the plaudits due to being less cool looking. Seriously.
Yeah I agree with that. And everyone seems to be an expert on him. They've seen the highlights and determine he's a level above. I doubt they watched him week to week.

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
This is highly entertaining. Carrick has a weakness against top teams and certainly could not do that job. He lacks the skill, guile and mobility to escape pressure and tough situations. He has never shone at European or International levels where as Pirlo has been a decisive factor in Milan, Juve and Italy success stories. Carrick virtually admitted he gave the ball to Scholes and shirked responsibility where as Pirlo was an orchestrator. Your post should be deleted
For some on here Carrick is the second coming, rather than a capable but not quite top level midfielder.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Zidane has become a universal top 10 player of all time since his retirement. This is the product of a few moments of genius in big games (1998 WC final, 2002 CL final). When he was playing live, I didn't think that he was much better than Figo or Nedved to be honest.

Rivaldo on the other hand is underrated. He's seen as a sidekick to Ronaldo these days. In his prime (1999) he was the best player in the world. I rank him higher than Zidane personally. He was fantastic for Brazil and for Barcelona. IMO he was the best player at the 2002 World Cup too.
Came in here to post this myself, worth remembering he was also quite inconsistent.

Pass and Move

Are these "alternative facts?" he scored over 40 goals for Milan. Assists were also far higher however I'll admit most would've come from set pieces. reason being, he plays as a Regista. much like Xabi Alonso and Xavi. Their job is to play make from deep, like a quarter back. Orchestrate the play of the team and get the ball to dangerous players in the advance areas of the pitch. these guys jobs aren't to 'rack up assists,' that's for the dudes further forwards. I would've expected your knowledge of player roles to be better than this.
Seems they may well be 'alternative facts' however they were quoted in good faith: https://www.statbunker.com/players/getPlayerStats?player_id=4335

Still doesn't detract from my opinion that he was subsequently overrated. I also happen to be of the opinion that the deepest lying player of a midfield three, whether an enforcer or a DLP is the easiest job on the pitch.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
A lot of centerbacks of the 90s and early 00s have been talked up way too much when comparing them to today's generation of centerbacks. While defenders like Ramos or boateng are reduced to being brain dead athletic players who can play nice long balls but have plenty of errors in their game the old center back generation is regarded as some sort of semi god class of defenders who didn't do much with the ball but where flawless in their defending without any mistakes. Truth is, defending nowadays has become a lot harder for centerbacks with the high defensive line and more tasks expected like playmaking etc. and the likes of Cannavaro, thuram or maldini made plenty of mistakes as well.

In terms of legacy reduced I'd say Owen Hargreaves. Him being a horrible commentator, a shit pundit and ending his career as a crock has led to no one rating him at all it seems. People in England hate him because he played for united and united fans hate him because he was permanent injured after his first year. However he has won the cl with two teams, played on the highest level for two top European teams, was a vital part in uniteds double in 2008 and one of the few players who showed up for England's national team during the golden era.

Stacks

Reduced:

• Paul Ince
  • Sol Campbell - Both have come out with some absolute madness regarding black managers. Campbell especially seems absolutely tapped and seems to believe in positive racism in that he should be granted positions of power that he isn't qualified for simply on the basis of being black and having played for England.
quite. Also he "should" have been England captain for 10 years but wasn't due to being black.

Stacks

Seems they may well be 'alternative facts' however they were quoted in good faith: https://www.statbunker.com/players/getPlayerStats?player_id=4335

Still doesn't detract from my opinion that he was subsequently overrated. I also happen to be of the opinion that the deepest lying player of a midfield three, whether an enforcer or a DLP is the easiest job on the pitch.
I cited ESPN for his stats. And if DLP was soooo easy, there would've been more truly class ones outside of the usual Pirlo, Xavi Alonso, Xavi, Redondo in the last 15 years or so. Also, how many teams actually play with an out and out DLP? most prefer a destroyer. It is a very difficult role trust me.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Pirlo.

Only when he started being 'very good despite his age' did people start to consider him one of the best midfielders in Europe.

Also, he looks cool. I genuinely think Carrick playing in Pirlo's place would have been at least as effective, but wouldn't have received the plaudits due to being less cool looking. Seriously.
no fecking way. Carrick is not nowhere near as good as Pirlo as a DLP.. jesus some of the shite you have to read on here.

iHicksy

In terms of legacy reduced I'd say Owen Hargreaves. Him being a horrible commentator, a shit pundit and ending his career as a crock has led to no one rating him at all it seems. People in England hate him because he played for united and united fans hate him because he was permanent injured after his first year. However he has won the cl with two teams, played on the highest level for two top European teams, was a vital part in uniteds double in 2008 and one of the few players who showed up for England's national team during the golden era.
Yea, I absolutely loved Hargreaves as a player when he was fit, I genuinely thought he had everything to be a dominant centre mid. Pace, work rate, passing, technique, crossing ability and a deadly free kick. I never hated him for being injured, but once he went to City and started making out United wrecked his career and his subsequent hatred of us in his awful commentaries I can't look at him with any fondness.

lawliet354

No way, in fact it is one of the hardest, because once you lose the ball there, you put your team in great danger, only player with the highest level of composure can play there, one bad touch in that position and you basically give the opponent a big chance for a goal

Needham

Platini's rep reduced because of all the FIFA silliness. But he was absolutely world class. Several Utd players of the era said he was the best midfielder they ever played against. Features in the 84 CWC game.

youngrell

Zidane had a knack for showing up on the big stage and did so regularly and to a very high level. Some of his performances in the latter stages of tournaments were incredible. I think a lot of people rate him based on this, which is understandable. He is probably slightly overrated overall, though, in terms of his consistent, dominant performances on a weekly basis.

youngrell

Irwin was terrific but he often seems untouchable when his name crops up. Possibly because SAF loved him and he had a face like a very pleasant bus driver. But I don't recall him being that good.
Denis was a minimum of 7/10 every game, often going higher than that. He had incredible consistency for us.

His maximum level was lower than a few of his peers, but he made up for it with high quality, consistency.

Wittmann45

I think Saha is a little overrated. That tends to happen with players that are very injury prone, but people tend to forget how inconsistent his finishing was and how frustrating he could be as the main striker

He was talented, he added a unique dimension to the attack and he fit well into a system that brought out the best in players like Rooney and Ronaldo, but I think his overall talent is overrated on here

Scarecrow

Having a week off
This, it absurds me that people can say he was better than Messi. But not taking any credit from him, the best number 9 of the past decades (excluded Messi in 2011 and 2012).
I think he meant the opposite - that his legacy has been reduced. Not sure. @Xeno

RedCurry

Not enough love on here for Park. He was one of my favorite players in his prime.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Not enough love on here for Park. He was one of my favorite players in his prime.
Him not playing in 2008 was a travesty. Also, I bet we'd have beaten Pompey if he'd played

ROFLUTION

We all know the way to spoil a good legacy is by doing something else you're terrible at - so that your legacy and face gets associated with that instead.

Here's the guide to feck up your legacy:

Become a bell-end in the media
Had a great legacy? Don't worry, some bitter comments on TV can adjust that.

Unravel the mystery
People thought you were mysterious? something to aspire to? Something classy? The quiet hero?
Don't worry, you can show the world by opening your mouth. Just put in average tv-appearances week after week on SkySports and remember to bash your own team so you seem extra-balanced and unbiased.

Do a slow-regressing career stop.
Worried that people will remember you too much? Don't worry, you can fade your name by signing for an Australian, Chinese or Indian team and play there until you're 42.

Aspire to be something new - something different - a terrible manager
Born talented? Who says it's limited to just football? You can be a manager too. Everybody can be the GOAT. You can do it, put your ass into it. Player/manager-nepotism will work wonders to smash that legacy.

All you can eat
Like your name Luis Nazario de Lima Ronaldo? Don't worry. Fat-Ronaldo is much shorter to remember.

caid

Zidane is probably the one with the biggest legacy embellishment. Amazing player but when people say he is a top 5 or so of all time that's a clear sign. He lacked the consistency in a league campaign, for instance many people I know laugh as soon as I suggest Iniesta can be compared to Zizou.
Thing about zidane was he was always a big game player.
People will always remember his goal against bayer leverkusen in that cl final and
his world cup performances where he really bossed the biggest games.
Which to be fair is pretty important in its own right, as is that consistency

facund

Beckham's footballing ability is somewhat under-estimated due to the gimmicky, fashion brand perception of him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
:lol:

Xeno

I think he meant the opposite - that his legacy has been reduced. Not sure. @Xeno
Exactly this. He was a once in multiple generation striker, who unfortunately played close to the generation of Portuguese Ronaldo, and, as said Messi.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
From our own point of view prob Ole. Think he's just a much loved player that we prob look back fondly and overrate him a bit, obviously scored some huge goals for us but was never quite good enough to earn a starting spot and we did try sell him a few times and he wouldn't go which some players get slaughtered for.

Culero

Thing about zidane was he was always a big game player.
People will always remember his goal against bayer leverkusen in that cl final and
his world cup performances where he really bossed the biggest games.
Which to be fair is pretty important in its own right, as is that consistency
Compare Iniesta's career and Zidane, you will notice that there are strong arguments that Iniesta is on his level and is just as much of a big game player. But if you ask the average person they would not agree. Try asking yourself and you will notice it.

The Purley King

Zidane, Scholes, Brazilian Ronaldo have become very overrated since they retired.

Giggs has been so underrated here during the last few years, that you might be thinking it is an-anti United forum.
Agree with Zidane and Scholes to an extent, but Brazilian Ronaldo? No way. He was absolutely exceptional, especially in his early years. Stick him up front for Barca or Real today when he was in his prime and he'd equal or exceed Messi or CR7s goal tally.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I always wonder how good the "holy trinity" of Best, Law and Charlton were at the time. Obviously, YouTube clips tend to make any player look amazing, so it's hard to judge from that sort of footage. Has their ability been embellished over time or were they really just "that good"?

Edit: even more so with Duncan Edwards - there's very little footage at all and fewer and fewer people around who remember him first hand.
Curious about this myself... anyone old enough here to have watched them live?

TsuWave

Carrick hasn't retired yet but you read redcafe and you'd think he's been one of our greats and a force to be reckoned with in european football. I presume it will only get worse when he retires

Boycott

I can see the argument that Keane is under-appreciated. On the opposite scale - to an extent I would say Scholes since he has been put up to deity status since he first retired.