Richard Arnold leaving United

I will believe it when I see it. Same as John Murtough. Until then? Nah.

Getting the authority to hand pick the CEO is a pretty big deal. Interesting to see how this develops.
The CEO comes under “100% sporting control” right?

I don’t mind him, honestly, from the little I have seen and heard. I don’t feel too bad for him though as he’ll have a huge payoff and must be expecting that Ratcliffe will have his own people.

Someone in The Athletic’s comments on this Richard Arnold article claimed to have been in the director’s box at the weekend and spoke to John Murtough. He said Murtough knows Paul Mitchell personally and expects to work alongside him if he’s brought in. Probably absolute twaddle but hey.

No reason the Glazers would push him out so clearly Ineos will have a decent amount of power if they are capable of pushing out the CEO and obtaining sporting control
Exactly, so in his mind or through various discussions during the takeover talks, one would assume that he feels his job is not safe, so would rather go now “on his own terms” than wait for INEOS to come in and let him go

The CEO comes under “100% sporting control” right?

CEO is very much more of a business role than a sporting one. Although obviously they impact the sporting side too especially in terms of appointment etc etc.

So if Ineos are pushing out the Glazers man and getting to put in their man it's a big deal and would be an indication that despite being a 25% sale things will actually be changing quite a bit.

And considering how shite we are any change Is better than none imo

Of course he’ll have to go, he is another Glazer yes man who has no idea how to run a football club and has been part of failure after failure.

CEO is very much more of a business role than a sporting one. Although obviously they impact the sporting side too especially in terms of appointment etc etc.

So if Ineos are pushing out the Glazers man and getting to put in their man it's a big deal and would be an indication that despite being a 25% sale things will actually be changing quite a bit.

I know I was being sarcastic. This who nonsense about Ratcliffe buying 25% shares and assuming control of the club is getting more and more preposterous.

I know I was being sarcastic. This who nonsense about Ratcliffe buying 25% shares and assuming control of the club is getting more and more preposterous.

Arnold has been dealing with mainly sponsorship & business decisions and has left the majority of the footballing decisions to Murtough (minus the Greenwood decision, it seems as though that was Arnolds decision) and his team, it’s the reason why Murtough was installed, Woodward was doing both & it didn’t work. So the role was split (at least at Man Utd)

Greenwood decision source: https://amp.theguardian.com/footbal...-mason-greenwoods-future-at-manchester-united

Good. The man's not good enough another Glazer yes man..
Cleanse the club of all of Woody's pals.
I have no idea how good he is at his job.
Good. The faster the incompetent people like him, Murtough and ten Hag leave, the better for us.
Good. I have no idea how good he actually is at his job, but the club isn’t where it should be and isn’t showing clear signs of getting there so I’m perfectly happy going scorched earth and getting rid of everyone who has a part to play in this.
I don't think it makes him necessarily a good CEO for us, but he is just about the only one in our setup that I know for a fact to have been competent and useful in developing the commercial side, which ultimately has been bankrolling a decade of feck ups. Did a stellar job though. I know people who worked under him (also supporters) and they swear by him.

Started all that pre-Woody.

If we go by the quotes of Toto Wolff from the F1 Jim's forward facing approach should see him be realistic and upfront with the Glazers. Everyone the Glazers have appointed has been a monumental failure, I highly doubt they even have the ego to detest any developments to change the CEO when you look how far the club has fallen from its former glory. Commercially that's a completely different story but Arnold is the superior to Murtough so it does inadvertently have sporting ramifications depending on who the CEO is and their idealisms.

I have no idea how good he is at his job.
The massive growth in official pot noodle and tractor partnerships in the Woodward era was mainly his doing. So he must have been good at that, considering United were in the doldrums at the time football-wise.

He’s also had to contend with massive amounts of crap bequeathed by his predecessor or otherwise beyond his control. He’s (presumably) the one who had to break the news to the Glazers that the coup Golden Boy Ed had brought off in securing the return of the Greatest Player Ever hadn’t turned out too well. And the news that out Golden Starlet was a bit of an arse and not worth £100m plus.

I don’t envy him his job at all. He at least appears to be unafraid of making big calls.

Exactly, so in his mind or through various discussions during the takeover talks, one would assume that he feels his job is not safe, so would rather go now “on his own terms” than wait for INEOS to come in and let him go

That doesn't make sense. If he goes now on "his own terms", he's forfeiting massive wealth of compensation.

He brought in ETH and gave him almost everything he wanted...

*Runs and hides in the bushes.
If I run a cat punching business, and I hire one of the top cat punching trainers in the world, and he tells me that we should buy twenty Lamborghinis to transport the punched cats to the tar pits and swap out our tailored made cat punching gloves for oven mitts, then I should ignore him. I should be smart enough not to let this guy do anything other than teach people how to punch cats, and leave the other things to people who are already being paid to deal with the other stuff. Anything else would just be a horrible business practice.

I don't think it makes him necessarily a good CEO for us, but he is just about the only one in our setup that I know for a fact to have been competent and useful in developing the commercial side, which ultimately has been bankrolling a decade of feck ups. Did a stellar job though. I know people who worked under him (also supporters) and they swear by him.

I do not doubt it. But as CEO, at the end of the day, he oversees everything and the commercial success should be translated to football success. And he has been useless at that. Should have brought a real DoF and a football structure and move post the God-manager era which we are still stuck on.

I do not doubt it. But as CEO, at the end of the day, he oversees everything and the commercial success should be translated to football success. And he has been useless at that. Should have brought a real DoF and a football structure and move post the God-manager era which we are still stuck on.
A “real” DOF. Like Michael Edwards was when originally took over at Liverpool yeah? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He may very well be good at that, and that is good to hear his good work on the financial side in the last decade, but as the CEO if that financial success isn’t translating into on field success then he’s not doing his job properly.

For what it’s worth, whoever came in as the new owner was always going to want one of their people occupying the role of the most powerful person in the club.

That's the key point . Ed and Arnold were quite good on financial side of things but they just failed to convert that success to the sporting side. End of the day, we are a football club and what matters is success on the pitch. We will soon reach to a point where the commercial part gets dried up .

That's the key point . Ed and Arnold were quite good on financial side of things but they just failed to convert that success to the sporting side. End of the day, we are a football club and what matters is success on the pitch. We will soon reach to a point where the commercial part gets dried up .
That’s a bit of a myth though. They were in the middle of the pack when it came to the commercial side - our revenue didn’t increase out of line with any of our peers when you consider we had a massive head start due to SAF. They just maintained (and lost a bit in truth) that lead. Which is acceptable, but nothing to write home about.

If Ratcliffe takes over the football side I think from next season we will have a raft of changes, including the manager. Certainly Arnold and Murtough, maybe Fletcher as well.

If I run a cat punching business, and I hire one of the top cat punching trainers in the world, and he tells me that we should buy twenty Lamborghinis to transport the punched cats to the tar pits and swap out our tailored made cat punching gloves for oven mitts, then I should ignore him. I should be smart enough not to let this guy do anything other than teach people how to punch cats, and leave the other things to people who are already being paid to deal with the other stuff. Anything else would just be a horrible business practice.
Kurt, you've only just got past the recent incident and community service, why are you saying these things again?

Good. The man's not good enough another Glazer yes man..

Which qualifcations and experience do you think he lacks for the position?

And what areas do you think he has failed in in his 18 months in the job?

i’ll always remember that time he got the beers in.

Get Woodward back.
Lets imagine that for a second ...

The Glaziers decide to not go ahead with any deal whatsoever and say the club will be theirs for years to come and they will be bringing back Woodward as they feel he did a great job for them over the years.

Absolute pandemonium would follow.

If Ratcliffe takes over the football side I think from next season we will have a raft of changes, including the manager. Certainly Arnold and Murtough, maybe Fletcher as well.
What’s with this place obsession with Fletcher?