Richard Arnold secretly filmed whilst speaking to supporters

stw2022

It’s not the right way to go, whatever the context. He didn’t really say stuff we didn’t know but now he won’t trust fanbase anymore when he originally went out of his way to communicate. This group of idiots ought to be outed.
They’re not ashamed of it. Outing them wouldn’t do anything. They have a Robin Hood complex.

Real Name

Next time he'll think twice to communicate with fans in that way which really is a shame.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Respect to Arnold

Those morons have now broadcast to Barca that that we have loads of money for frenkie de jong which goes against the 120 million briefing that had been put out last week. That’ll help with negotiations you bell ends

Water Melon

Are we sure that Richard did not know that he was being recorded?

Castia

Respect to Arnold

Those morons have now broadcast to Barca that that we have loads of money for frenkie de jong which goes against the 120 million briefing that had been put out last week. That’ll help with negotiations you bell ends
Exactly my thinking the fecking idiots

Tarrou

I’m sure some of them do. It’s like this place where you had posters delighted we’d lost a 200m training kit deal and then were moaning about no January signings 6 months later. Anyway, this is the account from one of them arranging the protest outside his house.

this guy sounds like a right knob-head

Water Melon

He may not have known, but he wouldn't be surprised. It's 2022, he knows the world we're living in.
Exactly. I am sure he filtered what he was saying and this leak will not be of a big surprise to him. It was him who decided to visit the pub and have a face to face conversation with fans/protesters.

saivet

Not that what they did was right but I imagine he would have been fully aware that he may have been recorded, whether by video or audio. These guys were ready to rock up to his house, privately recording him is probably further down in the dick move spectrum.

Clever and a respectable thing for Arnold to do though and while I'm sure he couldn't be 100% honest it seems like he said what he could and credit to him for that.

Hopefully rocking up to people's houses becomes a thing of the past.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Not that what they did was right but I imagine he would have been fully aware that he may have been recorded, whether by video or audio. These guys were ready to rock up to his house, privately recording him is probably further down in the dick move spectrum.

Clever and a respectable thing for Arnold to do though and while I'm sure he couldn't be 100% honest it seems like he said what he could and credit to him for that.

Hopefully rocking up to people's houses becomes a thing of the past.
We should rock down to electric avenue

Telsim

Why do you need human communication with the CEO of a large entity? Is it something that people expect or demand routinely? Also he didn't say anything that hasn't already been said by anyone with common sense.
Off the back of one of the worst seasons ever, who better to seek answers from than the CEO? It's not like the Glazers are strolling up and down the street. If he didn't want to talk he could have just called the police. And hearing him recognize issues out loud is much better than hearing some nobody with common sense.

Paul778

Off the back of one of the worst seasons ever, who better to seek answers from than the CEO? It's not like the Glazers are strolling up and down the street. If he didn't want to talk he could have just called the police. And hearing him recognize issues out loud is much better than hearing some nobody with common sense.
the best part of the whole meeting was the "do you really want me signing the players? sound familiar?" part. Even if you take it as spin, the clear understanding that this happened in the past and failed badly is there to see

blythy

Fascist Dictator
That's why the filmer is such a twat. People know when a lens is being angled at them. It wasn't just unnecessary and disrespectful it was embarrassing for the person doing it.
True, but that said Arnold was probably fully aware of the likelihood that everything he said to them would make it onto social media one way or another.

Kaushal

Why would these fans sneakily record these videos and leak them out ? What does it achieve ? To seek validation ? A pat on the back ? Not only it breaks the trust of the person who had no obligation to meet and talk to them but also harms the club itself in the transfer window. When you see behaviour like that can you blame Richard Arnold or any other person not meeting and talking to the fans directly in the future ? As fans they have some responsibilities also. It does no good towards the club and it’s employees. Reminds me of the society in general “wants all the rights but none of the duties”.

Last edited:

Prodigal7

Him being filmed without his knowledge is exactly why hewould generally avoid doing something like this in the first place. Not that he would have felt he had much choice with people planning to protest outside his house…

We have spent 1bn on absolute dross, he’s right. We have nothing to show for it. Now he’s got to somehow clean up a mess without the level of money needed to do it. He’s also saying that any training ground or stadium rebuild will need a sponsor. The Eg Alibaba old Trafford won’t be popular but he’s effectively warning fans that it’s the only way to pay for it.

Telsim

the best part of the whole meeting was the "do you really want me signing the players? sound familiar?" part. Even if you take it as spin, the clear understanding that this happened in the past and failed badly is there to see
Exactly, that's my point. Speaking about issues out loud means he at least recognizes them as issues, which is already more than Woodward ever did. It doesn't mean he will do anything about them of course. And me being a cynic, I don't think he will, but at least he is capable of seeing the problems as problems.

Greck

True, but that said Arnold was probably fully aware of the likelihood that everything he said to them would make it onto social media one way or another.
For sure. You can actually tell from how tightly he guarded his tongue he was expecting it to hit social media.

That's annoying. Fair play to him for coming out to meet them, but the video means he will probably never be so open and candid to fans again.

Idiots who filmed this, no other words for them.

youmeletsfly

this guy sounds like a right knob-head
Most football fans are knob-heads. If you're willing to lose valuable time of your life to go to a protest about a football club that operates in a way you nevertheless can't control, you're knob-head anyway.

What the feck where they expecting, Arnold to give them the whole plan while knowing (for sure) he was being filmed/recorded?(or knowing for sure that everything will be on social media soon)

It's absolutely baffling how grown fecking men look for internet validation and moan, moan, moan about a business in which someone invests millions doesn't act the way their football manager brains would like it to do.

The world is dumber and dumber.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So other clubs CEOs are expected to go to the pub and have a casual conversation with random fans? It's not as if the people he was talking to represent anyone but themselves.

Normal communication from clubs or any organization is done through institutional routes not at the pub.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Have to respect the guy for engaging with the fans like that, a class move and excellent example of leadership skills we have been sorely lacking. There is hope.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

I wonder how many drinks they would've had before they stumbled their way to Arnold's house protesting.

blythy

Fascist Dictator
Most football fans are knob-heads. If you're willing to lose valuable time of your life to go to a protest about a football club that operates in a way you nevertheless can't control, you're knob-head anyway.
Great logic.

Why bother watching the games - you can't control the outcome.

Giggzy P

Massive respect to Arnold for this. He comes across as actually caring about the fans.

However, as genuine as his intentions were, this was in part a PR stunt. Arnold surely knew beforehand that it would get out.
He would have to be extremely naive to have thought that him engaging with fans in a pub, in the age of social media, would stay private.
I think he needed it to come out, even though the video is taken in bad faith and taste.
The message is one he obviously wanted to convey to our fans.
It was a lovely and class act from him; it was was also very smart

AndySmith1990

What the feck where they expecting, Arnold to give them the whole plan while knowing (for sure) he was being filmed/recorded?(or knowing for sure that everything will be on social media soon)

It's absolutely baffling how grown fecking men look for internet validation and moan, moan, moan about a business in which someone invests millions doesn't act the way their football manager brains would like it to do.

The world is dumber and dumber.
Shame on them for caring about something and being emotionally invested in a football club. The knob heads should spend their time sat on the sofa binge watching rubbish on Netflix instead

blythy

Fascist Dictator
Point of the issue: the ownership of the club.

Online United fans: who are we signing and when? Please don't bad-mouth Pogba... :rolleyes:

Acquire Me

If you disregard the fact that Arnold was filmed without consent, I must say that he got a real star in my book.

He appears friendly, calm and genuine. I look forward to the changes he and his people have made and will continue making.

This group of protesters is pissing me off. Goes home to people, uses insults like "rats" and goes after sponsors that we need regardless of the owner of the club.

Who the hell are they to think they should go in front on behalf of the fans. Many fans want the Glazer family out, myself included, but you can’t attack the club and its future. In addition, one must be able to protest in a non-violent and childish way.

Tarrou

Nah I don't agree with this at all. Fans have every right to protest, and it doesn't make them knob-heads if they want to do so.

Lennon

I don't know! For me it seems staged by the club to prevend further disharmony ...

Red00012

I mean what kind of people in their 30’s to 50’s decide on a Saturday to drive 90 mins to a house of a CE of a club they support to cause trouble to him and his family .
the same clowns then record him and decided to ask a 2 year old child to hold the phone.
He then decides to straight away throw it up on Twitter instead of holding it and discussing what should we do next .
He gets asked loads of questions on Twitter rants at the guys asking him about FDJ because this isn’t about transfers yet 2 days previously he’s tweeting how shit our transfers have been this summer.

Some of our fan base is pathetic . I’m kind of glad Arnold came across well because this is exactly what they didn’t want .

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's got one big advantage right now....he knows how badly Ed did and he also knows that fans weren't happy with him at all so he's definitely going to change the way things are done.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
PR move ? just as likely a family one. Who would want these likely drunk individuals protesting outside your property and potentially abusing your family.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's got one big advantage right now....he knows how badly Ed did and he also knows that fans weren't happy with him at all so he's definitely going to change the way things are done.
To be fair, he's been changing the ways things have been done for quite a while. He clearly wants the football aspect to be controlled by football people.

crossy1686

career ending
Next time he'll think twice to communicate with fans in that way which really is a shame.
I doubt it to be honest, he didn't say anything incriminating, he didn't throw anyone under a bus, he didn't give definite's or make any promises, all he really did was tell the lads there was a plan to make things better, talked about previous failings and asked for a clean slate. I don't think he's stupid enough to think this wasn't going to be in the media and the guy who filmed this was about as obvious as it gets so he probably knew.