g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Richard Arnold secretly filmed whilst speaking to supporters

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Exactly, that's my point. Speaking about issues out loud means he at least recognizes them as issues, which is already more than Woodward ever did. It doesn't mean he will do anything about them of course. And me being a cynic, I don't think he will, but at least he is capable of seeing the problems as problems.
Surely simply by acknowledging the past failure and then removing himself from footballing decisions and giving Murtough and Fletcher autonomy to operate that side of the business he has already done something about it?

Woodward and his London based cronies (Judge/Tseayo) are gone or going. That’s an improvement.

The scouting department has been overhauled because of past failures (failures he acknowledged in the video). That’s progress

The social media team is being replaced so our engagement will improve. That’s better

Our pastoral care and onboarding procedures to make new signing settle well and kick on are also being reviewed and improved.
Being sceptical is all well and good but you have to give credit where it is due. Arnold hasn’t been in the job long but is already changing and improving the way we operate. There are reasons to be optimistic.

Cafer007

People who are saying its a PR stunt proves the cynical times we are living in.

Whether he was aware of filming OR not, he had the balls to go out and address the fans who are the core part of our club. He didn't cover-up the previous 9 years and he just spoke the truth. If you realised what it went wrong over the years, I would say it is the first step towards the success path.

He comes across a genuine person, cares about winning than focussing on commercial side.
Lets hope we turned a new successful chapter which can last for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I mean what kind of people in their 30’s to 50’s decide on a Saturday to drive 90 mins to a house of a CE of a club they support to cause trouble to him and his family .
the same clowns then record him and decided to ask a 2 year old child to hold the phone.
He then decides to straight away throw it up on Twitter instead of holding it and discussing what should we do next .
He gets asked loads of questions on Twitter rants at the guys asking him about FDJ because this isn’t about transfers yet 2 days previously he’s tweeting how shit our transfers have been this summer.

Some of our fan base is pathetic . I’m kind of glad Arnold came across well because this is exactly what they didn’t want .
I'm still struggling to get my head around what these morons were protesting about. "The ownership of the club". Fine, I understand that is a sentence that usually spills out of their frothing mouths whenever they're asked the question, but what do they actually mean by it?

If they're going to Arnold's house to protest the way in which the Glazer's operate, then I would completely understand. But they're not, because after the CEO comes out and has an honest dialogue with them about the club's failings, they're immediately on twitter shouting about it being PR nonsense.

The other option is that they want the Glazers out? I can understand that as well, because the Glazers are cnuts. So, riddle me this feckos; how does protesting outside the CEOs house achieve this? It's like protesting outside my house to try and get my boss fired. I can't do feck all about it. If you were looking for exposure then surely the best thing would be to protest during a live match like the one a few weeks ago where the planned walkout failed. But, yeah, half a dozen randos turning up outside one of your employees homes is going to make you sell up.

All I can imagine is that these dipshits were actually annoyed that Arnold came out and talked to them. They wanted him to just be a face on the wall. A prop that they could use just so they could stand outside a house and chant some slogans, get some great pics for social media, and show the rest of us that we're nothing compared to these proper Top Reds.

Red Rash

Well done Richard Arnold. To be fair he came across really well. First of all he took the time to speak to some disgruntled fans and secondly he told it as it was.

It is important to have down to earth people at the club and hopefully he is one of them.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Never thought we'd have a grumpy Marge Simpson who threaten to protest in front of Arnold's house representing United fans out of all people.

Summary from someone who was there:

Can't post media yet, sorry [/MEDIA=twitter]1538211939263840261[/MEDIA]
This guy sounds like a massive cynic with a holier-than-thou attitude. Would find it very hard to believe his version of events. Him specifically, as a voice of the cause, is doing more damage than good in my opinion. Also recording without consent, against someone whose motives appear genuine, is pretty low and especially protesting outside his family home. They may not like Arnold, but I think he has at least shown to them he is a human at the end of the day. Attempts at dehumanising for a cause will never help.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Absolutely no desire to have a side here.

The protestors are weirdos and Arnold is a cnut.

crossy1686

career ending
Absolutely no desire to have a side here.

The protestors are weirdos and Arnold is a cnut.
But harsh on someone who’s just taken a job isn’t it? Imagine you’d just stepped into a role and people were calling you a cnut 10 minutes in. Would you feel it was justified?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
But harsh on someone who’s just taken a job isn’t it? Imagine you’d just stepped into a role and people were calling you a cnut 10 minutes in. Would you feel it was justified?
It's the job not the person. No one gets that job who isn't a cnut in my eyes.

studs

It looks like him and a few mates in his man cave. Another episode of Disneyland.

UncleBob

In general, anybody who rises to the level of CEO anywhere is going to be cut throat and not averse to many traits that would earn that description.
Probably a UK/Yank thing, but it has very little to do with being a CEO as the majority are cnuts anyway

phelans shorts

Probably a UK/Yank thing, but it has very little to do with being a CEO as the majority are cnuts anyway
Oh absolutely. In large part due to the idea that these are the traits that allow somebody to “succeed” to being the likes of a CEO mind.

Those who get to such a standing tend to be even worse than those around them, just for the fact they edged out the competition in such a dirty competition.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I might just be an overly sceptical person but this all seems like a clever staged PR stunt to me.

Come across as humble by meeting fans in the pub and it "secretly" gets filmed to show its genuine.

I mean even if it is I'll give him a bit of credit because it's a much smarter move than Woodward's obvious blame shifting press leaks, but I'd still rather we just signed a fecking player.

Zen86

Chat to the CEO of Manchester United over a beer, who actually comes across ok and decided to give you the time of day, only to record the conversation and later slag him off on Twitter. Good going guys.

El-Manos

Chat to the CEO of Manchester United over a beer, who actually comes across ok and decided to give you the time of day, only to record the conversation and later slag him off on Twitter. Good going guys.
Such bad form. Complete disrespect. Idiots like.

Yeah when he met them face-to-face none of them were playing the "hard man" they portray now on twitter

Andersons Dietician

Staged not staged whatever, If it isn’t staged and he’s just gone down there to have an honest conversation with people he doesn’t know anything about who planned to protest outside his house, then man’s gotta have some big brass balls on him. Respect to him and hope there isn’t any sort of fall back on him.

It’s rubbish the way this has come out, but these are the kind of things people want to know and hear about the club, honest conversations about what is happening. On the money not a consideration thing I suppose that can be taken a few different ways. Hopefully Barca and the rest of the teams we plan to do buisness with don’t take it as yes we are swimming in cash and we can get players at decent prices.

As for the guys planning the protest, I don’t really know what is worse, protesting Arnold who hasn’t really been in the Job That long and going to his house. Or filming and releasing the conversation possibly without his knowledge.

Waynne

I don't like any of this.

- The recording
- Sitting down with fans at a pub
- Then the twitter rubbish

This man has a business to run. He shouldn't have to meet any United fans anywhere to explain the plans for the club. He has his boss and other execs at the club to answer to. What if we get twatted 8-0 by Liverpool next season. Is he going to have to buy everyone another round of beers at the local pub?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Some of the sanctimonious replies in here. The same people moaning about it being filmed are those who compare the Glazers to North Korea and bemoan the lack of transparency.

Those fans know if they’d have asked permission to film the conversation then they wouldn’t have got as much of the truth, if any.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Arnold spoke incredibly well here, the club has burned through a billion pounds.

With or without the Glazers the club doesn’t have a bottomless pit of money.

The most important thing is money is spent better going forward.

OmarUnited4ever

Nothing wrong with the leak.

He is a public figure, he found out about fans going to his driveway to protest.

He decided to intercept them and meet them at a pub near his house..

He sat down with them and answered their questions.

Remember, he is public figure, meeting fans in a public place, of course he will be filmed/recorded and of course it will be published, he must've known that and accepted that risk when he agreed to meet with them, he could've not met them and stayed home, called the police so the fans don't cause him trouble at his home, but he decided to go out and meet a bunch of angry fans and share drinks with them...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Some of the sanctimonious replies in here. The same people moaning about it being filmed are those who compare the Glazers to North Korea and bemoan the lack of transparency.

Those fans know if they’d have asked permission to film the conversation then they wouldn’t have got as much of the truth, if any.
Secretly filming a guy when he has offered to share with you, fans of the club who were preparing to protest outside his home moments earlier, details of what went wrong last season and how he and the club plan to fix it is a shitty thing to do any way you slice it.

But the worst part is the guy actually got the beers in. Betraying the guy who got the beers in is quite possibly the worst thing anyone has ever done in the history of the world. It's absolutely inhumane.

Skills

Snitch
Secretly filming a guy when he has offered to share with you, fans of the club who were preparing to protest outside his home moments earlier, details of what went wrong last season and how he and the club plan to fix it is a shitty thing to do any way you slice.

The worst part is the guy got the beers in. Betraying the guy who got the beers in is quite possibly the worst thing anyone has ever done in the history of the world. It's absolutely inhumane.
Heard he expensed it. That's £30 less for the transfer warchest

Waynne

Nothing wrong with the leak.

He is a public figure, he found out about fans going to his driveway to protest.

He decided to intercept them and meet them at a pub near his house..

He sat down with them and answered their questions.

Remember, he is public figure, meeting fans in a public place, of course he will be filmed/recorded and of course it will be published, he must've known that and accepted that risk when he agreed to meet with them, he could've not met them and stayed home, called the police so the fans don't cause him trouble at his home, but he decided to go out and meet a bunch of angry fans and share drinks with them...
And what could have happened had he met with some random angry United fans. The man's safety is at risk here. Be honest we'd have had a 'Lets laugh at Liverpool' thread up had it been one of their execs meeting with angry fans at a pub. He shouldn't feel pressured to do this but I do applaud him for the courage he showed to face some of our fans. This whole situation is nonsense.

Could have orangized a fan forum at the club to explain plans and have it live streamed on social media. That would be a proper way to go about something like this. I have 0 respect for these so called United fans wanting to go to some execs house to protest. What low life scum that makes the fanbase look like crazies.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Why a protest now? This is just about transfers isn't it.

OmarUnited4ever

And what could have happened had he met with some random angry United fans. The man's safety is at risk here. Be honest we'd have had a 'Lets laugh at Liverpool' thread up had it been one of their execs meeting with angry fans at a pub. He shouldn't feel pressured to do this but I do applaud him for the courage he showed to face some of our fans. This whole situation is nonsense.

Could have orangized a fan forum at the club to explain plans and have it live streamed on social media. That would be a proper way to go about something like this. I have 0 respect for these so called United fans wanting to go to some execs house to protest. What low life scum that makes the fanbase look like crazies.

Oh of course it was ballsy move from him to meet them at the pub.

But what I am saying is that ballsy move had risks, one of them is being filmed, and someone like him would've known that.

Mihai

I might just be an overly sceptical person but this all seems like a clever staged PR stunt to me.

Come across as humble by meeting fans in the pub and it "secretly" gets filmed to show its genuine.

I mean even if it is I'll give him a bit of credit because it's a much smarter move than Woodward's obvious blame shifting press leaks, but I'd still rather we just signed a fecking player.
Was thinking the same. Free PR, hidden behind "filmed without consent". My only doubt is the fact that he disclosed our supposed budget for this transfer window.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Massive respect for Arnold here and it'll go a long way.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I don't know! For me it seems staged by the club to prevend further disharmony ...
Great PR by Arnold, obviously knew that he was being filmed.
People who are saying its a PR stunt proves the cynical times we are living in.

Of course it’s a fecking PR move…

How did he get the info, from his house, that a few Utd fans were going to protest outside his house… and knew what pub they were inside… and who they were in the pub!?

Somebody knew who also had his personal contact details? Cmon.

Then he goes out and it ends up with you all thinking he’s a ‘man of the people’, who ‘got the beers in with the lads’ - a right good bloke, humouring the plebs like.

Let’s see how you all feel about Arnold in a few seasons time…

It then ends up that the Glazers have found a way to speak to the fans while generating pity and explaining why money isn’t being spent - how incredibly fortuitous for them.

FFS cmon. This is the same outcome of nearly all expensive PR - to come across as ‘one of the people’.