Right back....what are the options (if any)?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The player we should've tried to sign was Cancelo from Valencia who loaned him to Inter last season. I even argued on here and thought he would've been a fantastic signing but some disagreed. Juve signed him for about €30m and he's been brilliant for them until he got injured.

manutddjw

If we could just get a proper winger on the right then our options open up ten fold. Problem is on the right and left, both wingers like to cut in and that means our full backs have to provide width, be able to defend, be able to put in a cross and beat a man. There aren’t many fullbacks like that and the few that there are, are already at top clubs. If we got a proper winger, someone like Wan Bissaka becomes a very good option for us.

Dion

The player we should've tried to sign was Cancelo from Valencia who loaned him to Inter last season. I even argued on here and thought he would've been a fantastic signing but some disagreed. Juve signed him for about €30m and he's been brilliant for them until he got injured.
I've heard from a few Juventus fans he's a bit of a defensive liability at times and is much better suited as a wingback in a back 5.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I've heard from a few Juventus fans he's a bit of a defensive liability at times and is much better suited as a wingback in a back 5.
Even Marcelo at Real Madrid has been called a liability at times. But what players like him and Cancelo have in abundance is the ability to provide a genuine threat going forward. Cancelo was absolutely brilliant until he got injured awhile back, and some Juve fans were saying he was the best RB in the world on current form. He's also still only 24 and will improve further.

Devil may care

I am not the biggest fan of Shaw and think he definitely needs competition, but in terms of his passing I think he's been quite good this season actually. Almost underrated, especially when looking at the stats. Whether Wan-Bissaka could actually be as good as Shaw (and I don't think Shaw is the benchmark there) in that sense would be surprising to me to be honest. Considering how important centre backs and full backs have become in the build-up for teams that want to dominate like United, I think we need to wait and see whether Wan-Bissaka can develop further there.

Sancho and Hakimi would be excellent, I agree. I also really like Zagadou. He has all the tools to become an excellent CB and he'd be almost perfect, since he's more comfortable on the left.

What worries me with Atal is the small sample size. He's been very good, especially offensively, but if he'd cost a lot then I'd rather see us spend that money on Ferland Mendy and suffer through another season with Young.
I get what you mean, I was comparing Shaw and Wan Bissaka just from the perspective of being more defensive than offensive fullbacks, but Shaw's passing has been decent and it does seem like he's perhaps under instructions to mostly just feed the ball in to Pogba and Martial on that side and hang back most of the time which would make sense as Martial and Pogba have tracking back lapses. At RB though it's not so much about who we operate in conjunction wityh him on the flank as people have mixed ideas of exact player profiles but talented players are often flexible, the key if we have Ander at RCM which means we can really afford for our RB to be very attacking.

There's some excellent young talent in that Dortmund side, they only lack in midfield IMO, Dahoud has not pushed on the way I thought he would and Weigl has regressed since Tuchel left.

I'm not sure what Nice's finances are like but I wouldn't go beyond £25-30M for Atal. Mendy would be your first choice for LB competition for Shaw?

Sea-Cow

Wan-Bissaka and Declan Rice are the two Caf favourites that I don't get at this point, Rice might develop but he just signed a 6 year deal, anyway, you're right about Wan Bissaka, he's the RB version of Shaw and Shaw being more defensive works for now with the balance of this team as Pogba is the LCM. However our RB is on Ander's side and should be operating like a winger, for instance even though they are still young I'd transplant Dortmund's right side combo to United if I could, and if we aren't going to worry about buying a RB close in age to Dalot rather than go experienced then Atal looks an exciting option.
Regarding Wan-Bissaka -- I think the hype is because he is young, very athletic, and excellent defensively. And he is at Palace, so is certainly attainable.

I also think he is solid in receiving the ball under pressure and passing to teammates. He looks very confident.

Where he would struggle is with what we oftentimes ask of our full-backs -- getting the ball switched out to them when they are isolated, and then being asked to take on the opposite full-back one-v-one. I don't know if he has that skill-set, despite being a former winger.

All in all though, if we had him + a proper right winger, and Wan-Bissaka could attack with overlaps using his pace, I think he would be great for us.

Reactions: Penna

bucky

I get what you mean, I was comparing Shaw and Wan Bissaka just from the perspective of being more defensive than offensive fullbacks, but Shaw's passing has been decent and it does seem like he's perhaps under instructions to mostly just feed the ball in to Pogba and Martial on that side and hang back most of the time which would make sense as Martial and Pogba have tracking back lapses. At RB though it's not so much about who we operate in conjunction wityh him on the flank as people have mixed ideas of exact player profiles but talented players are often flexible, the key if we have Ander at RCM which means we can really afford for our RB to be very attacking.

There's some excellent young talent in that Dortmund side, they only lack in midfield IMO, Dahoud has not pushed on the way I thought he would and Weigl has regressed since Tuchel left.

I'm not sure what Nice's finances are like but I wouldn't go beyond £25-30M for Atal. Mendy would be your first choice for LB competition for Shaw?
Gotcha. I agree with Herrera as the RCM/DM we have a defensively astute midfielder, which means we can afford to have a very attacking right-back there. The options are fairly limited and if I'm being honest I'd hope we pay even less for Atal, since I'd rather see that money go to other players such as the RW/10, CM or DM and the CB, as much I was I think we need a RB.

Yes, Mendy is my first choice, followed by Aaron Martin from Mainz.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
We have Dalot who is young and a good option offensively, but I wouldn't count on Young next year and we are going to buy a young player for the right wing as well so... I would put 35 on the table for Azpilicueta. Leader. Defensive solidity. Experience. We lack leaders in the squad and this guy would strengthen us in more than one way.

Chelsea might be open to a sale, or?

Devil may care

Gotcha. I agree with Herrera as the RCM/DM we have a defensively astute midfielder, which means we can afford to have a very attacking right-back there. The options are fairly limited and if I'm being honest I'd hope we pay even less for Atal, since I'd rather see that money go to other players such as the RW/10, CM or DM and the CB, as much I was I think we need a RB.

Yes, Mendy is my first choice, followed by Aaron Martin from Mainz.
It will be interesting to see how we divide the budget up, we had a very quiet summer last year and didn't do anything in January so there might be a bigger splash out this summer given it'll be first transfer window for whomever is manager is, and I can't see us picking any of the RB options mentioned for less than £25M, more in most cases.

Mendy had a decent defensive game against Barca last night, the commentator said Barca are apparently interested in him, Is Aaron Martin the Spanish fullback we were linked to a couple of summers ago?

bucky

It will be interesting to see how we divide the budget up, we had a very quiet summer last year and didn't do anything in January so there might be a bigger splash out this summer given it'll be first transfer window for whomever is manager is, and I can't see us picking any of the RB options mentioned for less than £25M, more in most cases.

Mendy had a decent defensive game against Barca last night, the commentator said Barca are apparently interested in him, Is Aaron Martin the Spanish fullback we were linked to a couple of summers ago?
Then IMO we should stay away in all honesty. I won't complain if we sign Wan-Bissaka, but currently I'd rather see that money go to Sancho, de Ligt and other players.

I thought he was a bit careless last night and not as good as he can be. Wouldn't surpise me, if several clubs are interested. Really hope he doesn't join City, unfortunately I can see him go to there, as he is perfect for Guardiola.

Aaron Martin was the one, I think, we discussed previously while he was still at Espanyol. If I remember it correctly, he caught both our eyes there. Not sure, if United were linked though.

Devil may care

Then IMO we should stay away in all honesty. I won't complain if we sign Wan-Bissaka, but currently I'd rather see that money go to Sancho, de Ligt and other players.

I thought he was a bit careless last night and not as good as he can be. Wouldn't surpise me, if several clubs are interested. Really hope he doesn't join City, unfortunately I can see him go to there, as he is perfect for Guardiola.

Aaron Martin was the one, I think, we discussed previously while he was still at Espanyol. If I remember it correctly, he caught both our eyes there. Not sure, if United were linked though.
We can't go into another season with Ashley Young starting week in and week out IMO, and I just don't think Dalot looks anyhere near ready at the moment, I think we forget he hadn't made that many senior appearences for Porto when we bought him. We make so much money it's crazy that we are talking about leaving any of the 4 positions talked about under par in order to save costs, but we know the Glazers have a cap despite what Woodward says. I actually think the corner might be cut at CB with Alderweireld for £25M.

Pep does love buying fullbacks so I wouldn't be surprised, they have been pretty heavily linked to Chilwell though. Do you think Lyon will sell Mendy this summer? They aren't like Monaco who have a yard sale every year and I think this will be the summer Fekir goes, which means they might hold on to Mendy, Ndombele and Aouar for another season.

We did, very fast and looked promising, had a cheap buyout clause as well at the time if I recall correctly. He's really progressed at Mainz?

bucky

We can't go into another season with Ashley Young starting week in and week out IMO, and I just don't think Dalot looks anyhere near ready at the moment, I think we forget he hadn't made that many senior appearences for Porto when we bought him. We make so much money it's crazy that we are talking about leaving any of the 4 positions talked about under par in order to save costs, but we know the Glazers have a cap despite what Woodward says. I actually think the corner might be cut at CB with Alderweireld for £25M.

Pep does love buying fullbacks so I wouldn't be surprised, they have been pretty heavily linked to Chilwell though. Do you think Lyon will sell Mendy this summer? They aren't like Monaco who have a yard sale every year and I think this will be the summer Fekir goes, which means they might hold on to Mendy, Ndombele and Aouar for another season.

We did, very fast and looked promising, had a cheap buyout clause as well at the time if I recall correctly. He's really progressed at Mainz?
I don't disagree. The notion that we should shouldn't sign those player has more to do with not being convinced by the options we have and what they might cost, not that we don't need a RB. Young should have been sold long ago, as he's never been consistently good enough to be a United player IMO. But he's been given another year and we already have Dalot (I agree that he doesn't look ready yet), so I'm preparing for another season with that situation. Atal is a good player and I've been meaning to watch more games of Dumfries and Mazraoui, but none of them are players we have to sign. What I am saying is, ideally I want a player I was as convinced by as I was with Alex Sandro for the last few years. Atal could turn out to be that player.

Hard to tell, who's available and who isn't at Lyon. I think there's a good chance that Fekir moves (there have bee rumours that he will sign a new contract though) and I could see NDombele going as well (Juventus wouldn't surprise me). You might be right, that Mendy could be one too many, but then again, I think, if you make them the right offer, they'll accept. Traore has lost some form and I am not sure, if clubs want to match whatever they would want for Memphis.

Again difficult to tell, as I don't watch him week in and week out, but I liked what I saw the few times I saw Mainz. I think he definitely has the passing we've been talking about a FB needs and he is a well-rounded player, meaning he's isn't defensively suspect or that he doesn't offer enough offensively.

Devil may care

I don't disagree. The notion that we should shouldn't sign those player has more to do with not being convinced by the options we have and what they might cost, not that we don't need a RB. Young should have been sold long ago, as he's never been consistently good enough to be a United player IMO. But he's been given another year and we already have Dalot (I agree that he doesn't look ready yet), so I'm preparing for another season with that situation. Atal is a good player and I've been meaning to watch more games of Dumfries and Mazraoui, but none of them are players we have to sign. What I am saying is, ideally I want a player I was as convinced by as I was with Alex Sandro for the last few years. Atal could turn out to be that player.

Hard to tell, who's available and who isn't at Lyon. I think there's a good chance that Fekir moves (there have bee rumours that he will sign a new contract though) and I could see NDombele going as well (Juventus wouldn't surprise me). You might be right, that Mendy could be one too many, but then again, I think, if you make them the right offer, they'll accept. Traore has lost some form and I am not sure, if clubs want to match whatever they would want for Memphis.

Again difficult to tell, as I don't watch him week in and week out, but I liked what I saw the few times I saw Mainz. I think he definitely has the passing we've been talking about a FB needs and he is a well-rounded player, meaning he's isn't defensively suspect or that he doesn't offer enough offensively.
I get where you are coming from, it's why Thomas Meunier has been my #1 choice for ages, he's never going to be world class but he's good, he's experienced, he's the right age to be a bridge for Dalot, he's a United fan that has openly said he wants to play for us someday and he's coming into the last year of his contract, I know PSG aren't easy to deal with but maybe we can find a middle ground with them as aren't they facing some FFP issues?

Ah right, I had it in my head that Lyon were the club with the rule that they only sell one of their major assets per summer. Fekir's situation is a weird one, if he does sign a new deal he might end up like Griezmann, never making that next step to one of the true elite clubs in the game.

Interesting, I wonder if we've maintained a view on him, as I don't think Mainz would be a hard team to deal with, they might even take a youngster on loan as part of a deal.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I'm not all that keen on AWB only because we have our youngsters on Dalot and Laird. Would much prefer a proven player there for 2-3 years. Someone like Meunier would be perfect.

bucky

I get where you are coming from, it's why Thomas Meunier has been my #1 choice for ages, he's never going to be world class but he's good, he's experienced, he's the right age to be a bridge for Dalot, he's a United fan that has openly said he wants to play for us someday and he's coming into the last year of his contract, I know PSG aren't easy to deal with but maybe we can find a middle ground with them as aren't they facing some FFP issues?

Ah right, I had it in my head that Lyon were the club with the rule that they only sell one of their major assets per summer. Fekir's situation is a weird one, if he does sign a new deal he might end up like Griezmann, never making that next step to one of the true elite clubs in the game.

Interesting, I wonder if we've maintained a view on him, as I don't think Mainz would be a hard team to deal with, they might even take a youngster on loan as part of a deal.
Meunier would be ideal, I agree, but in general I am sceptical when it comes to buying players from PSG. Kehrer seems to be first choice now, so he might be willing to move, but whether PSG will let him is the question. Relying on the UEFA regarding FFP seems pointless to me. They will find a way around it, especially with their owner now having a position on that committee.

Really depends how wary teams are of the injury concerns over Fekir's knee. I still think he would be good signing for us, but I'd prefer Sancho or Dybala at this point.

He really should be someone we keep an eye on, simply because he represents value in today's market. Generally speaking Mainz have done some smart things over the years and I hope we have noticed, since they snatched up Diallo from Monaco. Edit: And I agree, sending Gomes there for example could be good move for them and us.

Devil may care

Meunier would be ideal, I agree, but in general I am sceptical when it comes to buying players from PSG. Kehrer seems to be first choice now, so he might be willing to move, but whether PSG will let him is the question. Relying on the UEFA regarding FFP seems pointless to me. They will find a way around it, especially with their owner now having a position on that committee.

Really depends how wary teams are of the injury concerns over Fekir's knee. I still think he would be good signing for us, but I'd prefer Sancho or Dybala at this point.

He really should be someone we keep an eye on, simply because he represents value in today's market. Generally speaking Mainz have done some smart things over the years and I hope we have noticed, since they snatched up Diallo from Monaco. Edit: And I agree, sending Gomes there for example could be good move for them and us.
How they've been allowed to get a guy on the commitee is mind boggling to me, just ludicrious, but I do still wonder if they'd be open to doing a deal for a second choice RB with a year lef ton his deal for around £25M, just to take some edge of the scrutiny, and I don't think they have any reason to not deal with us like say Spurs.

Watching Dybala in that false 9 role for Juve last night made me wonder what he'd be like in it for us as I think we set that system up more attacking than Juve do. :drool:

It was the kind of shrewd deal we'd do under Fergie and Gill rather than trying to buy players from Bayern, Barca and Real like Woodward does, so not sure we'd even contemplate it these days, but here's hoping we have a couple of under the radar ones in the pipeline for the summer.

RooneyLegend

Cancelo will do. Can't be all that happy at missing his teams most important game of the season and he's just quality, maybe the beat right back in the world.

Alabaster Codify7

I still say sell Darmian and release Valencia; sign Meunier.

RB - Meunier / Dalot / Young
LB - Shaw / Young / Dalot

Summer 2020, release/sell Young and bring in a new young LB such as Kieran Tierney.

davidmichael

Menuier please, as it looks like Valencia is off in the summer.
I did see something I think yesterday that was taken from I think ‘Le Parisien’ about Menuier having a year left on his contract and PSG not wanting to renew so likely to be sold this summer, if you can have Wan-Bissaka or Menuier this summer who do you go with ?.

Sanche7

I did see something I think yesterday that was taken from I think ‘Le Parisien’ about Menuier having a year left on his contract and PSG not wanting to renew so likely to be sold this summer, if you can have Wan-Bissaka or Menuier this summer who do you go with ?.
Menuier for me, he is proven at the highest levels and won't completely block Dalot's development as he's 27
Also he's a United fan, has great connection with Lukaku, is very good going forward (as opposed to Bissaka who is better defensively) and probably won't cost much as he's entering the last year of his contract

NoPace

I could see us spending huge on Sancho, a Fred replacement who can take some pressure off pogba as a midfield creator and a CB like De Ligt or Koulibaly and trying to save some money at rb if we love Dalot.

I haven't seen much of him but Elustondo at Sociedad is 24 and plays centrally too so can't be too bad defensively, whoscored has him #2 behind Carvajal for la Liga RBs I believe. Could function as a cheaper signing who has experience and is the perfect age and style to step in right away and we can still get Dalot 20-25 starts in games where we're on the front foot. I can't imagine there isn't a solid mid20s RB ready to step up in La Liga, Germany or France, like a continental Ryan Bertrand type.

I don't think Cedric is good enough defensively but he's not awful overall and Inter just turned down signing him for 9.5M but he's basically got Young's strengths and weaknesses so kinda pointless.

Kidders

I still say sell Darmian and release Valencia; sign Meunier.

RB - Meunier / Dalot / Young
LB - Shaw / Young / Dalot

Summer 2020, release/sell Young and bring in a new young LB such as Kieran Tierney.
Can't argue too much but sometime VERY soon we will have young Ethan Laird to add to the fullback mix.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Can't argue too much but sometime VERY soon we will have young Ethan Laird to add to the fullback mix.
I agree. He looks a real talent in the right

I believe Ole sees him and Dalot fighting it out in the future

MetoTTT

Cancelo will do. Can't be all that happy at missing his teams most important game of the season and he's just quality, maybe the beat right back in the world.
Not a possible target at all. The guy has just signed for Juve...and now he'll leave to come here. Come on!
Meunier will be an excellent choice. 1 year left on his contract, PSG don't renew it. Dalot will play too.

RooneyLegend

Not a possible target at all. The guy has just signed for Juve...and now he'll leave to come here. Come on!
Meunier will be an excellent choice. 1 year left on his contract, PSG don't renew it. Dalot will play too.
Everyone at Juve has a price.

Makalu

Bring Rafael back for a few years until Dalot and Laird are a bit older... :wenger:

jesperjaap

Not even a discussion for me, has to be Bissaka, ENglish, Attainable and for me he is already the best young right back in Europe over Zagadou, Dalot, Hakimi and Alexander Armold for example. He is so athletic and equally good defensively and offensively which is rare for a modern full back. Dont think he is being over hyped, followed him ever since he broke through at Palace, is going to be an absolute star

mav_9me

Not even a discussion for me, has to be Bissaka, ENglish, Attainable and for me he is already the best young right back in Europe over Zagadou, Dalot, Hakimi and Alexander Armold for example. He is so athletic and equally good defensively and offensively which is rare for a modern full back. Dont think he is being over hyped, followed him ever since he broke through at Palace, is going to be an absolute star
We are not going to spend big on a RB after spending 20m on Dalot. Who btw will be our first choice RB next year IMO.

buckooo1978

saw a stat earlier about Wan Bissaka that was interesting

first defender in Europe to reach 100 tackles and only 7 players have managed to dribble past him all year

quite impressive

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Be interesting if we end up pushing Dalot forward. He could very well end up as a winger I think. Then the conversation changes a bit here.

jesperjaap

We are not going to spend big on a RB after spending 20m on Dalot. Who btw will be our first choice RB next year IMO.
I think you may be right. However I do think Bissaka really is a special case. I dont want to say he will be that good, as this player is head and shoulders above any full back I can remember....but he reminds me a bit of Maldini in that people just rarely go past him and he is also very good going forwards. He has everything to be the best right back in the world within the next 2-3 years and with the added bonus of being English, that is why he is a priority signing for me.

SirAF

Ageist
Be interesting if we end up pushing Dalot forward. He could very well end up as a winger I think. Then the conversation changes a bit here.
I think you may be right. However I do think Bissaka really is a special case. I dont want to say he will be that good, as this player is head and shoulders above any full back I can remember....but he reminds me a bit of Maldini in that people just rarely go past him and he is also very good going forwards. He has everything to be the best right back in the world within the next 2-3 years and with the added bonus of being English, that is why he is a priority signing for me.
Yes. My choice would be to get Bissaka and utilize Dalot as a wingback and/or winger.