Right back....what are the options (if any)?

Devil may care

From what i've heard, Wan Bissaka isn't very good going forward.
He's not, he's a good dribbler but a lot of the dribbles are to breat pressure defensively, which is a good attribute to have but not what we need in most games, and I'm 100% against this idea of moving Dalot to RW, he offers no goal threat, just crossing, that's fullback work and he's a fullback, lets develop him as such and get in a proper forward.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's not, he's a good dribbler but a lot of the dribbles are to breat pressure defensively, which is a good attribute to have but not what we need in most games, and I'm 100% against this idea of moving Dalot to RW, he offers no goal threat, just crossing, that's fullback work and he's a fullback, lets develop him as such and get in a proper forward.
Dalot had a huge goal threat playing RW when he was coming through the youth ranks at Porto according to one of the Portuguese posters on here. I'm not advocating he should play RW because I still believe in the ability of Tahith Chong. But Dalot is very capable of doing a job further forward like he showed yesterday.

Devil may care

Dalot had a huge goal threat playing RW when he was coming through the youth ranks at Porto according to one of the Portuguese posters on here. I'm not advocating he should play RW because I still believe in the ability of Tahith Chong. But Dalot is very capable of doing a job further forward like he showed yesterday.
Goal scoring at youth level is a very different thing though as we've seen with many players, I also think yesterday he thrived in a 3-5-2 where he was a wingback, much moreso than he did on Wednesday where he was actually playing as a RWF in a front 3, and I think long term we'll be playing either 4-3-3 or the 4-4-2 diamond and for me in those formations he's a fullback and should be developed as such. As for Chong, I dunno, I'd like to see him get a start to see how he does but right now that seems like it's going to be hard to give him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Goal scoring at youth level is a very different thing though as we've seen with many players, I also think yesterday he thrived in a 3-5-2 where he was a wingback, much moreso than he did on Wednesday where he was actually playing as a RWF in a front 3, and I think long term we'll be playing either 4-3-3 or the 4-4-2 diamond and for me in those formations he's a fullback and should be developed as such. As for Chong, I dunno, I'd like to see him get a start to see how he does but right now that seems like it's going to be hard to give him.
I think we haven't seen enough of Dalot at RW to say whether he has a goal threat. He had two strikes at goal yesterday that showed to me that his shooting technique is very good and the potential for him to score goals is there.

Tahith Chong seems to be highly rated by the coaching staff. I think he would've come on against Palace for the last 25 minutes if we didn't concede. His thin frame is something that's holding him back currently.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Aaron Wan Bissaka would be my choice, established full back now, and in the right team would be able to attack more. He put a nice pass into Batshusayi (whatever his name is) for his goal, but defensively very sound. Dalot can play left or right, as can Ethan Laird, that would take care of our full back positions for the next few years.

Devil may care

I think we haven't seen enough of Dalot at RW to say whether he has a goal threat. He had two strikes at goal yesterday that showed to me that his shooting technique is very good and the potential for him to score goals is there.

Tahith Chong seems to be highly rated by the coaching staff. I think he would've come on against Palace for the last 25 minutes if we didn't concede. His thin frame is something that's holding him back currently.
I'd just like to see him apply that attacking verve at RB like a Marcelo or Alves and buy a proper attacker rather than trying to convert players.

Which flank do you think Chong is better on?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'd just like to see him apply that attacking verve at RB like a Marcelo or Alves and buy a proper attacker rather than trying to convert players.

Which flank do you think Chong is better on?
I've mostly seen Chong play on the right wing and I'd say that's probably his best position.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Given Dalot's impact in the last two games I'm even more sure we won't move for a RB in the summer

Devil may care

I've mostly seen Chong play on the right wing and I'd say that's probably his best position.
Well that gives him a half chance as that is a position that is wide open, however I can't see where he's getting the game time from to take it in the near future, unless we are planning to not add anything to the attack this summer.

Given Dalot's impact in the last two games I'm even more sure we won't move for a RB in the summer
But neither of those performances were at RB, it's his problems defensively why Ole is barely using him as RB. He's not ready to be starting RB for us and we can't go into next season with Young starting again.

Mylock

We have 2 choices to make for the right back role in the summer.
1. Spend big money on an world class right back.
2. Bring in someone like Seamus Coleman and alternate him with Dalot and laird. This looks the best option as we have a few great prospects for the right back role, all they are missing is experience. If we go out spend big money well have to play them which will stifle the talent coming through.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
But neither of those performances were at RB, it's his problems defensively why Ole is barely using him as RB. He's not ready to be starting RB for us and we can't go into next season with Young starting again.
Ole's at the wheel, we'll just outscore the oppo if Dalot is caught out defensively :devil:

Kidders

i'd still like us to go for Thomas Meunier, reliable, experienced and a United fan, good attitude unless I'm missing something, would be very happy with him and Dalot sharing the RB berth.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
@Judas

No

We have Ethan Laird. I'm all for bringing in a veteran RB but what's the point in paying big money for Wan Bissaka when we have 2 young RB's.

Dalot should come on leaps and bounds after pre season working with the likes of Phelan

Judas

Open to offers
Laird might come good, but to me its like the people saying they don't want a RW because we've got Chong coming through. We have no idea if they'll make the step up. If they're good enough, they'll break through, the top talents pretty much always do.

RedNed77

I think Dalot will be fine and whilst Young is definitely on the way out, he's still probably good enough to be the age-bridge RB until Dalot develops for another season. I'd probably consider bringing in somebody who can cover both FB positions assuming Young is nearly done, if Shaw picks up an injury we are then without an LB. I'd say Tierney from Celtic as he can play both sides and also as part of a back three if required.

Judas

Open to offers
I've seen enough bad performances from Young this year to think we're taking a risk going into next season with just him and Dalot. I still like Young, and think he has a place in the squad, but his performances are very hit and miss lately.

JJ12

Laird might come good, but to me its like the people saying they don't want a RW because we've got Chong coming through. We have no idea if they'll make the step up. If they're good enough, they'll break through, the top talents pretty much always do.
Then there's Dalot who's already cost us 20m and looks good. Paying premium money for someone like Wan Bissaka would be a waste of money.

Like I say though - I'm all for an experienced player looking for a few years here. Unfortunately that will be Young though.

Devil may care

i'd still like us to go for Thomas Meunier, reliable, experienced and a United fan, good attitude unless I'm missing something, would be very happy with him and Dalot sharing the RB berth.
Agreed, he's pretty much the only option available that ticks the boxes IMO, I don't get the Wan-Bissaka obssession on the Caf at all.

Spot on, you can't build a side with the intention of winning the top trophies by pinning your hopes on maybe's, if a player is good enough they make the breakthrough.

MadMike

What about Djibril Sidibe of Monaco?

- He's 27 in the summer, in his prime
- Very experienced (Ligue 1 title winner, CL finalist and WC winner)
- Bound to be fecked off with the situation at Monaco and eager to jump at the chance of a move and a pay rise.
- We have a French speaking contingent that could help him settle

He's a good player. He'd fit the bill for 3-5 years until our youngsters are ready to surpass him. And if that happens even earlier (say couple of years) he'd still be young enough for us to recoup most of the money spent on him. It's a fairly low risk move.

JJ12

Agreed, he's pretty much the only option available that ticks the boxes IMO, I don't get the Wan-Bissaka obssession on the Caf at all.

Spot on, you can't build a side with the intention of winning the top trophies by pinning your hopes on maybe's, if a player is good enough they make the breakthrough.
The coaching staff aren't working off the maybes that we are though are they. Even with Laird out of the question we aren't spending big money on a young RB with Dalot here looking good in his development.

Someone like Meunier like you've mentioned would be the right profile this summer if any.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

- Bound to be fecked off with the situation at Monaco and eager to jump at the chance of a move and a pay rise.

He's a good player. He'd fit the bill for 3-5 years until our youngsters are ready to surpass him. And if that happens even earlier (say couple of years) he'd still be young enough for us to recoup most of the money spent on him. It's a fairly low risk move.
Was mentioning him last summer. If not him, perhaps someone with a similar profile, ie, an experienced fullback is comfortable playing both left and right side.

Yeah I wanted him last summer, him or Menuier would be shrewd business on a 2-3 year deal.

scoi

I think Young has shown he is starting to decline in quality this season and with Valencia gone and Shaw the only natural left back in the squad there seems to be a concerning gap here apart from RBs who can do half a job and Rojo.

Darmian is an interesting one, talk was there was discussions about a return to Italy, now he's injured and has never had the opportunity to show how he plays in an Ole team (ignoring the reserve game against Reading). An experienced international who, being a proper RB and defensively minded, could be a good mentor to Dalot for a season and help to bring Laird through to become the back-up RB.

I think the potential is there to avoid spending at RB and target other areas where the squad is lacking.

MadMike

You've been around nearly a decade now, so you surely do. The caf is obsessed with any young player/prospect that has half a good season.

Take the Sancho situation for example. He left City because, despite being very talented, he wasn't ready to play regularly for a team of that calibre and aspirations. Half a season at BVB later, people are demanding we spunk £100m + on him.

Devil may care

The coaching staff aren't working off the maybes that we are though are they. Even with Laird out of the question we aren't spending big money on a young RB with Dalot here looking good in his development.

Someone like Meunier like you've mentioned would be the right profile this summer if any.
Dalot's not a complete maybe, I agree, there are flashes of real promise, which is why I'm keen on Meunier and not Wan-Bissaka, I was more talking about the likes of Chong, Garner and Gomes that have yet to do anything at senior level, I wouldn't hold of strenthening those positions because in 2 or 3 seasons they might be the answer.

Devil may care

You've been around nearly a decade now, so you surely do. The caf is obsessed with any young player/prospect that has half a good season.

Take the Sancho situation for example. He left City because, despite being very talented, he wasn't ready to play regularly for a team of that calibre and aspirations. Half a season at BVB later, people are demanding we spunk £100m + on him.
I can understand Sancho because he's got flair and a bit of stardust in his boots and plays in a position we have no natural senior level tested options for. Wan-Bissaka is good defensively but poor offensively and we already have a very promising RB at the club who's around the same age, so I don't get it with him.

JJ12

Dalot's not a complete maybe, I agree, there are flashes of real promise, which is why I'm keen on Meunier and not Wan-Bissaka, I was more talking about the likes of Chong, Garner and Gomes that have yet to do anything at senior level, I wouldn't hold of strenthening those positions because in 2 or 3 seasons they might be the answer.
I agree with you on the other 3 definitely. I personally don't fancy Gomes or Chong to do be good enough for us but they absolutely could prove me wrong - not enough to hold off strengthening their positions.

Garner I do fancy him to make it but not for a few years yet. Either way a CM is needed this season.

At RB I see Dalot starting next year with Young rotating in - the opposite of this year. Give him a full pre season with the likes of Phelan.

Devil may care

I agree with you on the other 3 definitely. I personally don't fancy Gomes or Chong to do be good enough for us but they absolutely could prove me wrong - not enough to hold off strengthening their positions.

Garner I do fancy him to make it but not for a few years yet. Either way a CM is needed this season.

At RB I see Dalot starting next year with Young rotating in - the opposite of this year. Give him a full pre season with the likes of Phelan.
Gomes is the only one I've seen enough to really comment, I love how he plays and he's technically class, but I think his size will make management reluctant to play him in midfield which is his actual position. Garner might well be the new Carrick as Ole said, it's just he's not even 18 yet and it usually takes a few years to be ready for the position he plays.

I think we'd be taking a huge risk starting the season without buying a RB, Dalot still looks really suspect defensively and we could well see Ole reverting back to starting Young regularly which would be a disaster as he's nowhere near good enough.

MadMike

Yeah I wanted him last summer, him or Menuier would be shrewd business on a 2-3 year deal.
I agree, both him and Meunier are ideal options age and experience wise. I'm pretty sure Sidibe would be keen to move on from Monaco, since everyone else that was decent has left and the team is in freefall, but I'm still guessing. However we know Meunier wants to leave since he's intentionally running down his contract. There'll never be a better time to grab a very good right back at a low price than this summer. If we don't make a good acquisition this summer and get beat to these deals it'd be hugely disappointing.

I agree, both him and Meunier are ideal options age and experience wise. I'm pretty sure Sidibe would be keen to move on from Monaco, since everyone else that was decent has left and the team is in freefall, but I'm still guessing. However we know Meunier wants to leave since he's intentionally running down his contract. There'll never be a better time to grab a very good right back at a low price than this summer. If we don't make a good acquisition this summer and get beat to these deals it'd be hugely disappointing.
I agree - RB has to be our #1 priority now that Valencia is leaving at the end of season and Darmien will probably go too. We can't go into next season with just Young and Dalot.

NoPace

Looking at Whoscored, three intriguing under the radar options if we just want a medium priced RB to start for a season or two while Dalot grows into the job:

1. the Montpellier RB, Aguilar, aged 25, rumoured to be wanted by Everton
2. Strasbourg's RWB, Kenny Lala, 27
3. Eibar's RB Ruben Pena (though he was rated poorly 2 years ago and average last year so either he's massively improving every year or it's just a random strong fluke season) 27

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
A fullback who could play both RB and LB would be great, as I think Shaw and Dalot will come very good

NoPace

A fullback who could play both RB and LB would be great, as I think Shaw and Dalot will come very good
I think that's Dalot, who has played at LB a bit. 45 starts for Shaw at LB, 10 for Dalot. 20 starts for Dalot at RB, 35 for the RB we buy and then 5-10 more for Dalot at RW for specific tactical jobs or maybe 3 at the back or an injury crisis. I think that's the ideal future.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Same here, he’d be my first choice. Because they are both so good going forward you could almost play them both together sharing the duties for defending and getting forward

Yagami

Good post resistant
Same here, he’d be my first choice. Because they are both so good going forward you could almost play them both together sharing the duties for defending and getting forward
I remember Valencia doing that with Jordi Alba and Mathieu. It was pretty fun to watch.

jesperjaap

From what i've heard, Wan Bissaka isn't very good going forward.
He started off as a winger....however he is already for me exceptional defensively, going forward I would say he is good, especially for his age, is room for improvement, but more the things that come with age and experience rather than ability

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He started off as a winger....however he is already for me exceptional defensively, going forward I would say he is good, especially for his age, is room for improvement, but more the things that come with age and experience rather than ability
I'd be all for this signing because he's undoubtedly very talented, but we have Dalot and potentially Ethan Laird coming through at RB.

sam147

We still need an experienced RB. Ashley Young should be a fifth choice option at fullback. He needs to remain as a dressing room DJ next season. One injury to Dalot or Shaw and Ashley Young will be starting again, at the age of 34. That is not good enough. Ole is working miracles but sooner or later the lack of quality and depth in key areas will catch up. Luke Shaw has been fantastic but he has never stayed fit for a full season and one injury to him disrupts the whole balance of the team because we have no left footers. We should sign Alex Telles for LB, who is a totally different type of LB to Shaw and we should look for someone versatile at RB, maybe Meunier.

dutchred

Why would we want to sign a 20 year old right back when we have Dalot and Laird. Personally I think Dalot can hold his own next year with Young and Laird as his back up. If we decide to buy a right back we should be looking at an experienced defender who can hold his own till the 2 youngsters find their way.