Right back....what are the options (if any)?

Sanche7

I find it odd people can’t do math. Darmian and Valencia are out of contract and leaving. We got 3 remaining fullbacks; Shaw, Young and Dalot. That’s 3 players for 2 positions with one being a youngster and the other a 34yo and incidentally these two are the only ones that can play RB. Young is also the cover for LB.

You think we should go into the new season like this? Would you go into a season with 3 CBs only, one being a 34yo ex-CM turned defender and the other a 20yo? What are you, nuts?
Agree with this. We need at least one FB, preferably one who can play both RB and LB.
Think with Valencia as good as gone and rumors surrounding Darmian, we will be signing another FB. Same with CM, Fele gone and Mata to leave too probably.
Wouldn't mind Bruno Fernandes dude and Meunier.

Cliche Guevara

I find it odd that so many people want to promote Greenwood to play right forward rather than buy Sancho yet want to buy a New right back instead of promote Laird ? We’ve got Young and Dalot there already too so there wouldn’t be anywhere near the pressure on Laird as there would be on Greenwood.
Yeah, it’s frying my brain.

Given Ole’s commitment to the younger players, and Dalot’s increasing involvement, he’s clearly going to be pushed as Young’s eventual replacement.

Ole still obviously rates Young, for now, as is often the case with people within a club as opposed to the fans.

dutchred

Personally I think we need a left back more than a right back. Do we have cover for Shaw if he gets injured? We have Young, Dalot and Laird covering right back.
Brandon Williams is good but not ready yet. He could get the odd game next season but is not ready if Shaw is unavailable for any length of time

Cliche Guevara

Personally I think we need a left back more than a right back. Do we have cover for Shaw if he gets injured? We have Young, Dalot and Laird covering right back.
Brandon Williams is good but not ready yet. He could get the odd game next season but is not ready if Shaw is unavailable for any length of time
Dalot and Young can both cover left-back, so I think it depends on what we want in terms of numbers.

I think we have sufficient need elsewhere that we won’t see this as a priority position.

MadMike

Dalot and Young can both cover left-back, so I think it depends on what we want in terms of numbers.

I think we have sufficient need elsewhere that we won’t see this as a priority position.
So 3 players for 2 positions is enough cover for you?

-Supreme-

We aren’t buying a right-back absolutely no way.

We just signed Dalot last season and he’s going to be brilliant. We aren’t going to buy yet another player for the same position when we have other areas to address.
This.

People kid themselves expecting to sign another RB, especially when Young has just extended his contract for another 12 months

dutchred

Can cover is ok for 1 or 2 games but if Shaw is out for a month or so, cover is not enough, especially if it happens in a period like we have now, CL, FA cup and PL

MadMike

Young played all of last season as a left back. Did so well he made it to the world cup. Where he also played as left back.

Cliche Guevara

So 3 players for 2 positions is enough cover for you?
If we’re getting into emergency territory then Herrera could also cover at right-back. Alternatively we could go to a back three.

I don’t think we’ll sign a third right-back especially given we need improvements elsewhere.

I don’t happen to think we should sign another right-back. I’m more than happy to see Dalot develop.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

I agree. I don't think we'll get a RB either, we'll give Dalot a go with Young and Laird in backup. If by the end of next season when Youngs contract runs out we think Dalot isn't upto the task we'll then go out and shop for a first team RB.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I've always viewed Dalot as more of a RWB or RM or a traditional RW, not a RB, his positional sense and defensive abilities aren't good at all, based on that, if we continue with 4 at the back, I'd like AWB, he's young and quick and performs well against top teams, I wouldn't mind trying Dalot and Martial on the wings to give us the balance but that's another conversation

Remember the geese

Can cover is ok for 1 or 2 games but if Shaw is out for a month or so, cover is not enough, especially if it happens in a period like we have now, CL, FA cup and PL
If Shaw is out for a month, then I think Brandon Williams is more than capable of filling in next season.

MadMike

If we’re getting into emergency territory then Herrera could also cover at right-back. Alternatively we could go to a back three.

I don’t think we’ll sign a third right-back especially given we need improvements elsewhere.

I don’t happen to think we should sign another right-back. I’m more than happy to see Dalot develop.
And if you lack CBs you drop Matic into CB. Yet, you still don't start the season with 3 CBs only. Losing couple of players in a shared position to injuries/suspension is not even an emergency. That happens literally every season. It's a little bit nuts to say the least.

Bearded One

I think we'd be better served if we get a proper first team RB so that Young and Dalot can deputize for thw first teamers. AWB would be my pick for choice of RB in summer.

Cliche Guevara

And if you lack CBs you drop Matic into CB. Yet, you still don't start the season with 3 CBs only. Losing couple of players in a shared position to injuries/suspension is not even an emergency. That happens literally every season. It's a little bit nuts to say the least.
You reckon? Both right-backs out and you expect to call on a third relatively competent natural right-back?

I do think the cost implication is also relevant to this.

MadMike

You reckon? Both right-backs out and you expect to call on a third relatively competent natural right-back?

I do think the cost implication is also relevant to this.
Oh you mean like we lost Valencia and Darmian this season, yet we still had Young and Dalot to call upon? Yeah that's exactly what I expect.

Are you not getting that I'm talking about fullbacks as a shared position? Young is also the cover Shaw. As is Dalot. You lose one of your fullbacks to a lengthy injury (any of them) and every time one of the other two needs a rest or is suspended, you're dropping CMs or CBs into fullback positions. One injury. That's not even emergency, that's business as usual

Cliche Guevara

Oh you mean like we lost Valencia and Darmian this season, yet we still had Young and Dalot to call upon? Yeah that's exactly what I expect.

Are you not getting that I'm talking about fullbacks as a shared position? Young is also the cover Shaw. As is Dalot. You lose one of your fullbacks to a lengthy injury (any of them) and every time one of the other two needs a rest or is suspended, you're dropping CMs or CBs into fullback positions. One injury. That's not even emergency, that's business as usual
Valencia and Darmian aren’t first choice players. And, in any event, that’s not as usual an occurrence as you seem to think.

I do see the sense in what you’re saying. I’m also looking at the current profile of the squad, however. I think Dalot is likely, and rightly in my opinion, viewed as the emerging first choice right-back with Young as cover.

If anything I could see an experienced free transfer being brought in as left-back cover, more than anything. We also have two or three positions in the first x1 we need to recruit which is going to be expensive.

We’ll see I suppose.

MadMike

Valencia and Darmian aren’t first choice players. And, in any event, that’s not as usual an occurrence as you seem to think.

I do see the sense in what you’re saying. I’m also looking at the current profile of the squad, however. I think Dalot is likely, and rightly in my opinion, viewed as the emerging first choice right-back with Young as cover.

If anything I could see an experienced free transfer being brought in as left-back cover, more than anything. We also have two or three positions in the first x1 we need to recruit which is going to be expensive.

We’ll see I suppose.
I'm starting to think you don't watch United.

Valencia absolutely went into the season as the first choice RB and captain. The fact he fell off a performance cliff and ended up with many injuries and on his way out of the club 8 months later, should serve as a warning if anything to not rely too heavily on 34yo Ashley Young for next season. Whether he signed a contract or not. Having 1 or more fullbacks injured is a very common occurrence, especially at this club, so I don't know what you're on about there.

You feel Dalot will start the next season as our main choice RB with Young as cover, but Solsjkaer has mostly deployed him as RM/RW with only 1 game played as RB since he took over and that was to cover for the absence of Young. There's no strong indication he views him as full back for the immediate future, never mind a starting one. He plays further up the field form Young whenever he comes on.

The reason it makes no sense to sign a LB is because we have 3 players that can play LB and only 2 that can play RB. And the main starter at LB (Shaw) is both at a good age and has shown consistency and maturity to have that position nailed for next season. Nobody has done enough to have the RB nailed next season.

Devil may care

I'm always surprised with these threads when we are a club with insane revenue and people want to leave us short and shoehorn guys into roles, we don't need to do this.

Resch

Everyone who saw our 1st game against PSG, knows our needs at RB. Old Young is a good cover, but should be miles away of being our starter!

Our likely fullbacks next season:
Young
Shaw
Dalot
Laird

Expect Darmian and Rojo to be sold off in the summer.Unsure what will happen with Mensah. It could really swing either way with him.
I would probably look into signing a left back ,with Shaw being the only left footer here, over a right back.

I still think Sandro would be the wisest choice.He's at the right age.He's more offence minded compared to Shaw which would be a great option to have and because of his offensive nature he could fill-in at the left of midfield role.
Obviously it boils down to (1) if we show interest in him and (2)whether he would be interested in joining a potential Europa League based team.

Last edited:

Manutd1990

With ole at the wheel, it will be dalot and fosu mensah, shaw and young at left back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wallez

In my mind, neither Dalot or Young are safe bets if we are to compete for the title next year. However, Dalot has shown a lot of potential so I wouldn't want us to bring in another talent (Wan-Bissaka?) or a world-class player that expect to start every game (Florenzi?). However, I actually think that Rafael should be brought back to fill the gap. He was loved by most supporters last time he was at the club, and he really looked like a Manchester United player through and through. I think he would bring passion and Manchester United spirit to the dressing room. He has been in and out of a solid Lyon team this season, but they have some very solid RB options in Tete and Dubois. His contract is expiring this summer, so he would be a very cheap option for us, that would leave funds for other positions. I certainly see him as a better RB than Young, so he would strengthen our team if Dalot needs more time to develop. However, if Dalot develops into a solid RB, I am certain that Rafael would accept the role as a backup player.

Sell Darmian and Rojo, let Valencia leave on a free, and send TFM out on loan. This leaves Shaw/Young on LB and Rafael/Dalot on RB. This would give us solid depth, especially since Young and Dalot are comfortable on either side.

Trizy

In my mind, neither Dalot or Young are safe bets if we are to compete for the title next year. However, Dalot has shown a lot of potential so I wouldn't want us to bring in another talent (Wan-Bissaka?) or a world-class player that expect to start every game (Florenzi?).
I agree both Dalot (as his defending and positioning looks suspect) and Young. However, football fans seem to have unrealistic expectation for fullbacks. We all want someone as good as Marcelo or Alves but they are generational talents.

settembrini

Our likely fullbacks next season:
Young
Shaw
Dalot
Laird

Expect Darmian and Rojo to be sold off in the summer.Unsure what will happen with Mensah. It could really swing either way with him.
I would probably look into signing a left back ,with Shaw being the only left footer here, over a right back.

I still think Sandro would be the wisest choice.He's at the right age.He's more offence minded compared to Shaw which would be a great option to have and because of his offensive nature he could fill-in at the left of midfield role.
Obviously it boils down to (1) if we show interest in him and (2)whether he would be interested in joining a potential Europa League based team.
Why Laird in the squad but not Mitchell?

He's comfortably the better player right now with a lot more experience and was highly regarded by everyone at United before his successful loan spells. He also solves the issue of giving us a natural left footed, attacking full back to provide width when Shaw can't play.

The only way I don't see him in our squad next season is if he has got the taste for first team football and wants to leave to play regularly elsewhere.

I don't understand why you think it would be wise to sign Sandro either. We've already got a top class left back in Shaw, you want us to make a very expensiveness purchase for his position but keep our weak right back position unchanged? Find that baffling tbh.

Last edited:

Devil may care

I was watching some vids of Wan-Bissaka last night as I've seen a few full games this season and don't get the hype, in 8 minutes of highlights from this season I saw good tackling, decent dribbling in his own half and lots of sprinting, but practically nothing in attack, a lot of the time he overruns the ball as I noticed in the games I saw and very poor crossing and creativity in the final 3rd, people criticize Shaw for his lack of attacking contribution but want a guy whose game is pretty much all about one on one defending and chasing back to make slide tackles.

In my mind, neither Dalot or Young are safe bets if we are to compete for the title next year. However, Dalot has shown a lot of potential so I wouldn't want us to bring in another talent (Wan-Bissaka?) or a world-class player that expect to start every game (Florenzi?). However, I actually think that Rafael should be brought back to fill the gap. He was loved by most supporters last time he was at the club, and he really looked like a Manchester United player through and through. I think he would bring passion and Manchester United spirit to the dressing room. He has been in and out of a solid Lyon team this season, but they have some very solid RB options in Tete and Dubois. His contract is expiring this summer, so he would be a very cheap option for us, that would leave funds for other positions. I certainly see him as a better RB than Young, so he would strengthen our team if Dalot needs more time to develop. However, if Dalot develops into a solid RB, I am certain that Rafael would accept the role as a backup player.

Sell Darmian and Rojo, let Valencia leave on a free, and send TFM out on loan. This leaves Shaw/Young on LB and Rafael/Dalot on RB. This would give us solid depth, especially since Young and Dalot are comfortable on either side.
I wouldn't hate this.

He's comfortably the better player right now with a lot more experience and was highly regarded by everyone at United before his successful loan spells. He also solves the issue of giving us a natural left footed, attacking full back to provide width when Shaw can't play.

The only way I don't see him in our squad next season is if he has got the taste for first team football and wants to leave to play regularly elsewhere.

I don't understand why you think it would be wise to sign Sandro either. We've already got a top class left back in Shaw, you want us to make a very expensiveness purchase for his position but keep our weak right back position unchanged? Find that baffling tbh.
Demitri Mitchell?

cathari

Yes! Oh yes! :drool:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Wan Bissaka isn't good enough going forward from what i've seen of him. If we're to sign a RB then he has to be at least competent going forward.

Nirv

I’m liking the idea of Rafael given his contract situation, as I still feel he was a decent right back and servant to the club. Love his passion for us even after he left. Would contribute more to the team than Valencia and Damian.

Otherwise, Thomas Meunier looks to be a good fit if we can get him at a reasonable price, wasn’t he unhappy with the lack of minutes at PSG not long ago? We can then have Dalot and Young providing good backup on both flanks.

NoPace

Anyone seen Lazaro at Hertha Berlin play? Great whoscored numbers, 23 his month. Said to be best young Austrian in the Bundesliga since Alaba. Napoli are apparently in for him and they've bought good talent recently.

I could see us sensibly buying like a 20M player at this spot with the idea being they're ready to start now but Dalot will likely overtake them in time and we'll have a solid backup or be able to recoup our money, maybe even profit, with a guy like Lazaro around for his ages 23-25 seasons at least, which for a fullback is closer to an average prime than people think. And in 3 years, Dalot wlll be 23, Laird 20 and we can sell off the mid-20s player we've squeezed their best years out of.

Sancho, De Ligt and a cheaper under the radar RB signing is probably the way I'd approach the summer with like a 200M budget. Give Fred a chance in midfield next year and then in 2020 sell off Matic and buy a proper replacement. Solid well-rounded squad.

SteveW

I'd sign another left back to cover for Shaw and see how Ethan Laird develops in the next year. Dalot and Young are more than enough for RB for next season.

SteveW

I think you're overstating how highly rated Mitchell was. He only started playing left back in his 20s and is still just learning the position. I'm not sure the club ever actually saw him as a real first team prospect. Losing this season to injury has probably killed what slight chance he w=may have had

settembrini

I think you're overstating how highly rated Mitchell was. He only started playing left back in his 20s and is still just learning the position. I'm not sure the club ever actually saw him as a real first team prospect. Losing this season to injury has probably killed what slight chance he w=may have had
He was 19 in the 16/17 season when he first played at full back and he ended that season as one of three nominees for the u23 player of the season and being given his debut in the first team. The following season he was included in the first team squad for the pre-season tour, won the u23 player of the season and had a successful loan spell. And this season he again made the first team squad for the pre-season tour and was having another successful loan spell before his injury. Even if you ignore all the praise that he received from his coaches/managers I don't see why you think people at the club didn't rate him. What do you believe their motivations were in naming him as one of the best players in his age group for two years in a row after he made the switch to left back and why do you think he was picked as one of the young players to be integrated into the first team squad on multiple occasions?

Also his injury this season (after making 23 appearance) won't have 'killed' his chances with us anymore than Tuanzebe is finished at United because of his injury at Villa. Even if the club just considered him an average prospect (and I think what I wrote above shows they rate him highly) we wouldn't write him off because he missed a few months of football, that's mad.

SteveW

He was 19 in the 16/17 season when he first played at full back and he ended that season as one of three nominees for the u23 player of the season and being given his debut in the first team. The following season he was included in the first team squad for the pre-season tour, won the u23 player of the season and had a successful loan spell. And this season he again made the first team squad for the pre-season tour and was having another successful loan spell before his injury. Even if you ignore all the praise that he received from his coaches/managers I don't see why you think people at the club didn't rate him. What do you believe their motivations were in naming him as one of the best players in his age group for two years in a row after he made the switch to left back and why do you think he was picked as one of the young players to be integrated into the first team squad on multiple occasions?

Also his injury this season (after making 23 appearance) won't have 'killed' his chances with us anymore than Tuanzebe is finished at United because of his injury at Villa. Even if the club just considered him an average prospect (and I think what I wrote above shows they rate him highly) we wouldn't write him off because he missed a few months of football, that's mad.
Do you think he will play another PL game for United?

settembrini

Do you think he will play another PL game for United?
If he wants to stay at United then yes I think he will. Solskjaer is very much in favour of United bringing through their own players and McKenna likes Mitchell and helped him in his conversion to full back. There's space in the squad at the moment for cover/competition to Shaw at left back and Mitchell could provide that.

However like I said earlier he might not be happy with that role. Realistically Shaw is going to be our first choice left back for the foreseeable future and will play most games. Mitchell is 22 now and has gotten a taste of first team football. He might want to continue that elsewhere rather than spend most weeks sat on the bench or in the stands.

cathari

If he wants to stay at United then yes I think he will. Solskjaer is very much in favour of United bringing through their own players and McKenna likes Mitchell and helped him in his conversion to full back. There's space in the squad at the moment for cover/competition to Shaw at left back and Mitchell could provide that.

However like I said earlier he might not be happy with that role. Realistically Shaw is going to be our first choice left back for the foreseeable future and will play most games. Mitchell is 22 now and has gotten a taste of first team football. He might want to continue that elsewhere rather than spend most weeks sat on the bench or in the stands.
His knee gave out again last month though, so I'd say his United future is in jeopardy. He can hope to be included in the summer tour, but I'd doubt it with other youngsters coming through, his age and these recurring knee problems, to be honest.

Edit. His contract is up in June according to transfermarkt, so I'd expect Hearts getting him on a free if they want him.

settembrini

His knee gave out again last month though, so I'd say his United future is in jeopardy. He can hope to be included in the summer tour, but I'd doubt it with other youngsters coming through, his age and these recurring knee problems, to be honest.

Edit. His contract is up in June according to transfermarkt, so I'd expect Hearts getting him on a free if they want him.
I really don't think United will ditch a promising young player because of an injury, it's just not what our club is about. And his contract was extended last summer to 2020 so if Hearts want him and he wants to leave they can pay for him :)

cathari

I really don't think United will ditch a promising young player because of an injury, it's just not what our club is about. And his contract was extended last summer to 2020 so if Hearts want him and he wants to leave they can pay for him :)
Damn you, Transfermarkt! :D

Well, I don't know. He looks like someone who Poch would turn into a pretty good fullback, but we'll just have to wait and see what Ole (and McKenna) can do with him.