Rio Ferdinand

AdNani

Can you name the four players, two of whom played for United, who were named PL POY twice?
Nope, Does that mean Lampard and Gerrard were better than Scholes? as they had far far more individual recognition.

Having watched the 2 players for their entire time here, ive made my own decision.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can you name the four players, two of whom played for United, who were named PL POY twice?
You have to take these awards with a pinch of salt at times.

David Ginola won it in 98-99, the year we had numerous players doing amazing things in our treble.

lex talionis

You have to take these awards with a pinch of salt at times.

David Ginola won it in 98-99, the year we had numerous players doing amazing things in our treble.

Pinch of salt yes, but winning it twice isn't blind luck. And even then, who would anyone argue was more deserving than Vidic in 08/09 and 10/11? Certainly not Rio, and would Rio at any point have been more deserving than the actual winner in any season during his career?

Rio was far more pleasing to the eye with his elegant passing, and he was without question a brilliant footballer -- part of England's "Golden Generation" -- but Ferguson knew who was the superior central defender. We would be wise to agree with Ferguson when it came to the quality of his players.

As for Ferguson's decision-making when it came to his successor, well, his decision-making left a lot to be desired.

Glorio

We can only state the obvious. Cristiano Ronaldo is one of the famous human beings who have ever lived. His former mates, Neville and Rio, of course would never dream of saying a cross word about him. Neville and Rio, have no relationship with ETH and never will. Rio's comment about "communication" is nonsense, and, to step into opinion, cringeworthy.
Neville has clearly called Ronaldo out and urged the club to cut ties with him

lex talionis

Neville has clearly called Ronaldo out and urged the club to cut ties with him
That’s a bridge too far for me at this very moment, but it’s a reasonable demand. The problem with cutting Ronaldo loose right now is that have no one on the squad to take his place. Martial has been unmasked as the permacrock lovechild of Saha and Jones, and Rashford just isn’t a striker.

Let’s bring in Gapko in January and at the same time find a Saudi club willing to accept Ronaldo’s financial requirements.

Glorio

That’s a bridge too far for me at this very moment, but it’s a reasonable demand. The problem with cutting Ronaldo loose right now is that have no one on the squad to take his place. Martial has been unmasked as the permacrock lovechild of Saha and Jones, and Rashford just isn’t a striker.

Let’s bring in Gapko in January and at the same time find a Saudi club willing to accept Ronaldo’s financial requirements.
I get that, I'm basically making the point that Neville has actually not been biased in favour of his former mate

EngimaMK

Another example of ex legends living in the past, looking to Ronaldo to help secure the future of this club. Ronaldo is yesterdays man and ETH is doing the right thing by respecting but moving away from the eulogising of our past. We must move forwards and the like of Keane, Rio, Scholes, Ronaldo and even SAF need to remain a fond part of our past, they are not part of our future.

AdNani

Pinch of salt yes, but winning it twice isn't blind luck. And even then, who would anyone argue was more deserving than Vidic in 08/09 and 10/11? Certainly not Rio, and would Rio at any point have been more deserving than the actual winner in any season during his career?

Rio was far more pleasing to the eye with his elegant passing, and he was without question a brilliant footballer -- part of England's "Golden Generation" -- but Ferguson knew who was the superior central defender. We would be wise to agree with Ferguson when it came to the quality of his players.

As for Ferguson's decision-making when it came to his successor, well, his decision-making left a lot to be desired.
Rio in 07/08 was THE best season ive ever seen from a Defender in a united shirt. He was also comfortably better for about 8 years prior to those seasons.

goes both ways.

Vidic was actually a lot more pleasing on the eye, as he was a warrior and people tend to gravitate for those sorts of players. They were both the 2 best CB's in the premier league. Period.

Lee565

Why don't these pro ronaldo ex united players fail to highlight 2 things.

1 being that no big club wanted to touch ronaldo this summer and the same goes for the previous summer as well except for us after buying the rubbish that man City were going to sign him.

2. Martial is the real miss and his stats prove that this season despite playing less this season than the oh so glorious ronaldo

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119

Probably not the thread for this, but Gakpo doesn't play as a striker. His future might be at striker, but don't think its the best signing for January where you want someone to come in and perform straight away.

If he's going to have a change of role, much better for him to have a pre-season with the team and learn the demands of the role and EtH's tactical plan.

If a striker comes in January, I'd rather a short-term punt on some random than making a LW come in and play him at striker. We have 3 LWs in the team that currently struggle at striker, ridiculous to add one more.

Hammondo

Did Fergie say Vidic was better than Rio?

Dan_F

How does Gakpo (I assume you meant) help with the centre forward spot?

lex talionis

How does Gakpo (I assume you meant) help with the centre forward spot?
By scoring goals, providing assists and delivering excellent holdup play.

These are qualities that Martial has in him, for a variety of reasons we haven’t seen from him for several years except in pre-season play three months ago and for something Iike 45 or 60 minutes in competitive play this season.

RuudTom83

Ronaldo's Minutes Played - Last 7 Games

Omonia - played 90 mins
Everton - played 60 mins
Omonia - played 90 mins
Newcastle - played 72 mins
Spurs - refused to play
Chelsea - punished for being a brat
Sheriff Tiraspol - played 90 mins

If only EtH would play Ronaldo instead of disrespecting him! :rolleyes:

Boondog

Rio was a great defender but he isn't any good at this talking malarchy.
This. Being great as a player does not entitle him to meaningful insight.

In the end these guys need to see how easy mediocrity is and how tough the job was. Made tougher by a player acting like a child in the twilight of his great career.

arthurka

This. Being great as a player does not entitle him to meaningful insight.

In the end these guys need to see how easy mediocrity is and how tough the job was. Made tougher by a player acting like a child in the twilight of his great career.
The bullshit spouted by our ex players regarding that overgrown man child is starting to get in my nerves to be fair.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
In an upcoming book about the Messi/Ronaldo rivalry, it's revealed that a fanboy by the name of Rio Ferdinand made a 3am phone call to convince his hero to reject a move to Manchester City in favour of a return to Manchester United.

Last edited:

Red_toad

According to an upcoming book about the Messi/Ronaldo rivalry, a fanboy by the name of Rio Ferdinand made a 3am phone call to convince his hero to reject a move to Manchester City in favour of a return to Manchester United.
You mean his friend who admires him. Feckin fanboy shite, they're friends, Rio isn't a nobody who's attached himself to Cristiano.

Kelly15

Love Rio, but don't agree with him at all. We will see how long Ronaldo is happy at his new club. Yea what a adventure. Ok Rio.

"Rio told Vibe with FIVE: ‘I’m pleased for him that he’s finally happy. For any footballer whatever level you’re playing in, happiness and being happy in the environment you’re playing in is one of the most important things.

‘He hasn’t been happy for a while so I’m pleased he’s on the verge of finding that happiness, albeit in a country that not many people expected him to go to.

‘But what a prospect that is, what an adventure that is for him to go to Saudi to go and play in a brand new league, a competitive league over there by the way."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro....tiano-ronaldo-al-nassr-transfer-18018202/amp/

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Love Rio, but don't agree with him at all. We will see how long Ronaldo is happy at his new club. Yea what a adventure. Ok Rio.

"Rio told Vibe with FIVE: ‘I’m pleased for him that he’s finally happy. For any footballer whatever level you’re playing in, happiness and being happy in the environment you’re playing in is one of the most important things.

‘He hasn’t been happy for a while so I’m pleased he’s on the verge of finding that happiness, albeit in a country that not many people expected him to go to.

‘But what a prospect that is, what an adventure that is for him to go to Saudi to go and play in a brand new league, a competitive league over there by the way."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro....tiano-ronaldo-al-nassr-transfer-18018202/amp/
Slurp slurp

Nero

Are these guys on Ronaldo's payroll or something? Do they have an inferiority complex? Are they sycophants? There must be something going on somewhere.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They're all afraid to be blocked on instagram by him

Mindhunter

Are these guys on Ronaldo's payroll or something? Do they have an inferiority complex? Are they sycophants? There must be something going on somewhere.
They are the only Balon d'Or level player they played with. They want to stay on his good books forever.

TsuWave

Maybe he's just friends with the guy. I mean when Ole was manager we saw how some of his friends found it hard to criticise him. Friends, redcafe - shocking concept.

JBD-dane

I acutally believe Rio deep inside prefer Messi over Ronaldo. It is actually obvious in my eyes.

I don't think I have seen any pundits praise Messi as much as Rio over the years.

But the "I've-spoked-to-Ronaldo-card"or vlog access to Ronaldo is to valueable to throw away. Especially when you have a youtube-channel.