Rio hits out at Moyes

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I find it hard to believe thy if your work has been that bad that you have never uttered a word of it to anyone. If you haven't then you are in the vast minority on that one.

Do you really believe share prices are going to be effected by a former players autobiography? Do you think it would go up if he said how fabulous it was last season? I doubt many looking to invest in Manchester United even know who Rio Ferdinand is.

Why would Van Gaal talk about something that happened when he wasn't here? So far he has said Danny Welbeck wasn't good enough and that Kagawa couldn't fulfill his wishes.
Ill utter a bad word with close friends and immediate family but I would never do it with people on the same line or competition and believe me I had some bad bosses in my life.

Even if the share prices wouldn't be effected he's ridiculing not only Moyes but also those who stick their neck for him to get him at OT.

VG said that Kagawa was unsuited to his game and that Welbeck is not prolific. He never said that they were dinasours who were totally inappropriate to this level

Fully Fledged

And where exactly did Vidic not given his best? In my opinion Nemanja did his outmost for the club till the very end and left the club like a true legend. No bitching, no expectations of being given a new contract despite playing shite and no pointing to fingers at anyone
You think that Vidic played to the level he did in previous seasons last year? I don't. I don't think he was a shadow of the player he had been in previous years.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The whole clearout of senior players is interesting actually. Definitely helps a new manager bed in. I'm convinced the Chelsea old guard deliberately sabotaged a number of Chelsea managers over the years. Of course, when you look at the service Mourinho has got out of Terry you can see the value of holding onto them, once you have a manager they will buy into. Of course, it turns out that the only Chelsea manager who could keep Terry et al happy was the last manager they won the league with and, unfortunately, that's not an option for us so it's probably for the best we had a clear-out before Van Gaal took over.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Moyes was doomed as soon as he took the Dr Who job part-time.

Moonred

Reading some of it again, I can understand all his weird tactics or the lack of it, if it produced results of any sort. Rio seems completely disgusted with him and things may have been truly terrible between the two.

Oneunited26

First of all one should always be diplomatic regarding his work place. I've worked in shit holes and had retarded managers which made dream of going to my workplace with a pump gun. Yet I never said one bad word about them and when forced to the ropes I would always opt for the diplomatic answer even if that would cost me a job opportunity. Bitching about your past experiences reflects bad more on yourself then others.

Secondly United are still recovering from what happened last year. The directors who gave Moyes the nod are still at OT, two of which are legends and one of which sticked to Rio even when he conveniently forgot to take his drug test. The club is also in the stock market and if the investors believe that the club is lead by retards who would appoint a dino as manager then shares may suffer. United made Rio rich so the last thing he can do is to shut up.

VG is a great manager and this is probably his last adventure. His reputation will depend alot on whether he can sort the mess Moyes and co had left so he must have plenty to say about what's going on. And yet he refrained from pointing fingers to Moyes. He even refrained from calling Rio a has been and that despite everyone knows that. That's what professionalism is all about
It was not Moyes fault he went into a club with allot of the squad not good enough, or past their prime, with a group of players that were together for far too long. If we group the squad, you can see it was not all his fault, the squad was just a ticking time bomb waiting to go off and that is what happened

Players coming to an end of the MUFC career - ferdinand vidic evra giggs

Players not good enough - butner, anderson, fellaini Moyes own fault on that signing, fletcher, cleverley, valencia, nani, young, zaha, kagwa, now welbeck and hernandez

players who kept picking up injury's - smalling jones evans rafeal RVP fellaini anderson nani, and probably many more

Key players below par - Rafeal ferdinand vidic smalling evra carrick giggs rooney RVP

Form players - DDG Janazaj and jones at times

So when you group the players together, this was not all Moyes fault, it was just a squads lifespan was 2 years out of date. And that is what happens in football cycles, certain seasons things like this happens, we just hit the biggest wall of all

Nogbadthebad

'Fact is, Moyes has had (and taken) his chance to shape the narrative since being dismissed; we can't, in all seriousness, complain when someone else does the same.
Yup.

Hes had months of a friendly press telling any microphone that stuck around long enough about hard done by he is, let down by players and whatever else.

Can't fault one of the players that, as this thread shows, are blaming for half the issues last year telling it how it is.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Would have preferred if he'd done it in a more measured manner, especially since it's nothing we didn't already suspect. But end of day, Rio is a club legend and certainly "got" United; Moyes was a disaster and clearly didn't have the qualifications needed for this level. Being a nice enough person shouldn't preclude him from being derided for doing an awful job and looking absolutely lost. He got paid millions despite his failure, no need to shed tears for him.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'd be pissed off with Moyes too, if he turned my testimonial into the 'Look, folks, I really mean business!' show.

redindian1987

Synchronized couples' skate to Losing My Religion
Innocent until proven guilty. There has never been conclusive information to tie Rio in with Disco Mirror's lineup leaks. Just because he acts the prat at times doesn't imply he would deliberately try to sabotage the club. This is a professional of the highest order, someone who has given the bulk of his career to United and is one of our all time greats. It's offensive to assume that he was the one to feed inside club information to the media when one can't provide the evidence to back up those claims.
Fair enough. I accept that if Rio didn't do that, I'm wrong. However, let's be honest here. Rio has a history of acting the prat. It doesn't take away any of his achievements with us, he'll always be a legend no matter what. Remember how he went on about how Moyes' habit of announcing the team minutes before the game breaks his head or what not? I accept Rio's argument, that is not the way a manager deals with players who have won everything. What was the need for talking about it in public when Moyes was already under fire? Or that rumours tweet when news came out that Moyes would be sacked...

No, it's not. Rio is well within his rights to put this in his book. All I'm saying is that he could have put it better. There's a diplomatic way of doing thing, no? Come on, I'm not suggesting Rio or van Persie are Machiavellian plotters. Clearly, they care about the club and its fortunes, I'm not doubting that. I'm just saying that they could have done things differently but still got the message across. Here's the thing - as much as I blame Moyes for last year, I'm disappointed in some of the senior players because they had a chance to show that they could be successful without Sir Alex. I'm not suggesting winning the title, but surely not 7th! Heck, I wouldn't have minded 7th if some of the football wasn't so mind-numbingly tedious. Exactly, take Giggsy. He had every right to have a go at Moyes. He surely did so. However, he didn't do it publicly. He didn't say stuff in the media. Remember his first Press Conference as Manager? The first thing he did was to thank Moyes for giving him a go at coaching. That is what I'm talking about. Do you see Giggsy talk about how poor Moyes was?

There is a lot to learn from mistakes, yes. I'm just saying, it could have been done in-house.

acnumber9

Ill utter a bad word with close friends and immediate family but I would never do it with people on the same line or competition and believe me I had some bad bosses in my life.

Even if the share prices wouldn't be effected he's ridiculing not only Moyes but also those who stick their neck for him to get him at OT.

VG said that Kagawa was unsuited to his game and that Welbeck is not prolific. He never said that they were dinasours who were totally inappropriate to this level
Sacking Moyes was condemnation of the choice to appoint him. Perhaps we shouldn't have done that either. Alex Ferguson himself has had plenty to say in books himself so I don't think he can be too upset by anything Rio has said.

You obviously haven't paid any attention to our new manager if you believe Ferdinand has said anything more 'unprofessional' than he has.

saivet

Interesting about the 4222, I think Moyes probably just didn't have enough bottle to give it a proper go. If he had Rio banging on about wingers and G. Neville on TV, it wouldn't surprise me if Moyes was just too weak to move away from 'the United way'

redindian1987

Do you actually believe Ferdinand was leaking line ups mate?

There has never been any proof of this probably because its just not true, a few people have mentioned it in this thread now. Baffling that this nonsense keeps being repeated.

Ferdinand played for Alex Ferguson for over a decade and was made club captain someone with the type of character to achieve those feats would not be so unprofessional to leak his own teams line ups.
I'd love to think so too. I've been turned cynical after looking at some of the stuff that all footballers do. I accept, there are players with old school values, but you look at players biting, racial abuse and the like...

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The whole clearout of senior players is interesting actually. Definitely helps a new manager bed in. I'm convinced the Chelsea old guard deliberately sabotaged a number of Chelsea managers over the years. Of course, when you look at the service Mourinho has got out of Terry you can see the value of holding onto them, once you have a manager they will buy into. Of course, it turns out that the only Chelsea manager who could keep Terry et al happy was the last manager they won the league with and, unfortunately, that's not an option for us so it's probably for the best we had a clear-out before Van Gaal took over.
:confused: Ancelotti?

acnumber9

It was not Moyes fault he went into a club with allot of the squad not good enough, or past their prime, with a group of players that were together for far too long. If we group the squad, you can see it was not all his fault, the squad was just a ticking time bomb waiting to go off and that is what happened

Players coming to an end of the MUFC career - ferdinand vidic evra giggs

Players not good enough - butner, anderson, fellaini Moyes own fault on that signing, fletcher, cleverley, valencia, nani, young, zaha, kagwa, now welbeck and hernandez

players who kept picking up injury's - smalling jones evans rafeal RVP fellaini anderson nani, and probably many more

Key players below par - Rafeal ferdinand vidic smalling evra carrick giggs rooney RVP

Form players - DDG Janazaj and jones at times

So when you group the players together, this was not all Moyes fault, it was just a squads lifespan was 2 years out of date. And that is what happens in football cycles, certain seasons things like this happens, we just hit the biggest wall of all
I the squad was that bad he had time to do something about it. More than Van Gaal has had. He chose to go into the season with jut Fellaini signed and no outgoings.

redindian1987

Those were the 3 players most affected by Moyes' decisions. Rio had regained his form and if managed properly would not have had such a bad season and probably be still with us. RVP was the best striker in the league with back to back golden boots then Moyes came and made Rooney the main man. Vidic was our captain and as soon as Moyes came there was talk of Rooney becoming captain. How would you feel if you were Vidic?
Come on mate, when Moyes came in Rooney was certain to leave the club. It seemed a matter of time. All that stuff about "angry and confused". I'm not arguing that Moyes wasn't shite, I'm just saying some of the stuff that's come out could have been avoided.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I never liked Moyes. I was against his appointment from day 1. At Everton he was dull and there was nothing to justify his role at United.

However what Rio did was unforgivable. You see, a player is payed 60-300 grand a week to do what the manager tells him without any discussion. There are other people who are appointed to judge the manager and that is not the players role. Mind some of the things he said made sense while others 'the chipsgate' is purely moronic. Anyway, if United wanted Rio to have a greater role then that of a player then they would have appointed him as a manager. Since he was not the manager then he should shut up and do what he's being told.
hes not contractually obligated to pretend that Moyes is/was doing a great job anymore so all the power to him.

Oneunited26

I the squad was that bad he had time to do something about it. More than Van Gaal has had. He chose to go into the season with jut Fellaini signed and no outgoings.
He was on board july the 1st, so we already were losing time, and another long pre season tour. Moyes tried to have brought in players, but it was a different world in the way the club were operating to now. But you cannot just blame Moyes, the boardroom has got to take some of the blame for not acting with a more aggressive transfer plan, and the players have got to take a huge chunk of the blame. Even the club have said that the way they go after players is much different than before, so its a different era now. The transfer model was starting to change when signing mata, and no question the way we were struggling this season, had seen a full change in how we will sign players from now on. Look at how long it took to move on the likes of nani cleverley zaha kagwa welbeck and hernandez, look at the gaping time gap when signing herrera and shaw, to rojo di maria blind and falcao, so still the club has been slow getting fully prepared getting the players in. Hopefully next season we will have players signed much quicker and we can settle in quicker

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Moyes was clearly not competent to manage a club like United and it was probably more apparent to the players than anyone else. So it's hardly surprisingly that a lot of them won't have good things to say about him.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
@redindian1987

Ok that seems a reasonable enough stance. But the thing is that Giggs is the gold standard of service provided to United and football professionalism. It's rather unfair to use him as a barometer to judge other United players by. Just like it would've been unfair to compare Best and Sir Bobby's public profile as an example. Rio has always been outspoken and flamboyant. Even engages in buffoonery on social media. That is part of his deal and supporters should take it in their stride instead of bringing his integrity into question.

This also translates a bit for Scholes. He was a unanimous saint up until he started expressing his views in the media. Is he in the wrong too ? Some would say he tried to undermine the club during this summer by questioning our transfer policy. But we have to realize that as long as human beings are human beings they will have strong views and some of them will be aired in public, especially by those in the media or on the verge of entering the scene - Keane, Scholes, Ferdinand. That's just how it is I'm afraid.

Even Sir Alex washed some dirty linen in his books - prominent among them were Stam, van Nistelrooy, Beckham, Keane. One could argue it served no purpose and is a part of history. Should we decry that too ? If not then there has to be consistency to measure Rio by. That's just how I feel.

Oneunited26

This sort of sums it up for me.
Exactly what I was thinking, it made the job even harder to move players on, when 95% of the squad did not want him here before july the 1st. So really we were stuck with the dross for one year too many because he never had the support, so rebuilding the team was never going to happen under Moyes

amolbhatia50k

Does anyone think that Moyes would have gone to another big club and been fully supported despite looking clearly out of his depth? It simply won't happen. Big clubs have big players and strong personalities who are used to winning. Some are bound to react badly to having to play under someone not good enough.

acnumber9

This sort of sums it up for me.
Is it really as damning? You earn respect in every walk of life. It's not something that is handed to you. That Moyes couldn't earn it is evidence of why he is no longer here.

acnumber9

Exactly what I was thinking, it made the job even harder to move players on, when 95% of the squad did not want him here before july the 1st. So really we were stuck with the dross for one year too many because he never had the support, so rebuilding the team was never going to happen under Moyes
If the players didn't want to play for him would that not make it easier to get rid of players?

Brophs

The One and Only
Is it really as damning? You earn respect in every walk of life. It's not something that is handed to you. That Moyes couldn't earn it is evidence of why he is no longer here.
Depends on whether you value showing professional pride, I suppose. Undermining a manager - whatever his failings - isn't something to be proud of.

amolbhatia50k

@redindian1987

Ok that seems a reasonable enough stance. But the thing is that Giggs is the gold standard of service provided to United and football professionalism. It's rather unfair to use him as a barometer to judge other United players by. Just like it would've been unfair to compare Best and Sir Bobby's public profile as an example. Rio has always been outspoken and flamboyant. Even engages in buffoonery on social media. That is part of his deal and supporters should take it in their stride instead of bringing his integrity into question.

This also translates a bit for Scholes. He was a unanimous saint up until he started expressing his views in the media. Is he in the wrong too ? Some would say he tried to undermine the club during this summer by questioning our transfer policy. But we have to realize that as long as human beings are human beings they will have strong views and some of them will be aired in public, especially by those in the media or on the verge of entering the scene - Keane, Scholes, Ferdinand. That's just how it is I'm afraid.

Even Sir Alex washed some dirty linen in his books - prominent among them were Stam, van Nistelrooy, Beckham, Keane. One could argue it served no purpose and is a part of history. Should we decry that too ? If not then there has to be consistency to measure Rio by. That's just how I feel.
A lot of the rumours seem to suggest that giggs was one of the main people behind the scenes who lost faith in Moyes. He might not have come out in the media and said things but he probably did give up on Moyes just like the others did - during his tenure. Most of us did too.

Sylar

On a side note, not sure if its mentioned in this thread as I havent read it all, but Rios testimonial was a farce. Instead of a fun game to thank Rio for his service, it became a frustrating game.

amolbhatia50k

Depends on whether you value showing professional pride, I suppose. Undermining a manager - whatever his failings - isn't something to be proud of.
It's inevitable. Put someone clueless in charge of a big and successful organisation and there will be discontent. It's the way the world works.

pascell

Easy to say all this when Moyes is contractually strained to give his own version of events but Rio deserved to go because he was cack for the past 2 seasons.

The thing is Moyes was right when he said the players let him down because they let us down too, some of the performances that were shown last season were diabolical and beyond embarrassing. Rio himself was the culprit against WBA, when he was completely schooled by players he should be able to defend against with his eyes closed.

Oneunited26

If the players didn't want to play for him would that not make it easier to get rid of players?
Not when players did not really want to play for Moyes, that makes getting the big players harder, that is problem A. The board would have caught onto this, let this ride especially when it was getting bad to worse, and sack him. If MUFC players did not want to play for Moyes, what hope did we have of signing better players? like we have seen this season, it was a deadman walking

Amir

I don't really see the issue. I'm sure Rio is also saying many positive things in his book. Why shouldn't he also mention the negatives? Since when has football become so precious you can't criticize people and their work? This doesn't affect Manchester United in any way, because Rio no longer plays for us and Moyes is no longer the manager, so there's no problem here. I, as many others I'm sure, are interested of having inside views regarding what happened last season. I'm happy Rio is doing it.

I don't want football media or football books to always look on the bright side and the positives, not because it might be boring, but because it would be twisted. Life isn't like that.

Oneunited26

It's inevitable. Put someone clueless in charge of a big and successful organisation and there will be discontent. It's the way the world works.
Moyes was not clueless, he was just not respected. Without respect, it will always end in chaos

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
in all fairness rio was awful last season and seerved to be droped, he is only surving by the fact he is a big name, he is no longer a decent defender, sounds like he is biter about that, as much as he is bitter about moyes.