Rio hits out at Moyes

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
IMO what becomes obvious more than everything with this is Moyes' inability to convince the players that he was setting the club and players on the right path. Van Gaal is changing a lot and he can do it, because he's been ruthless, decisive and demands respect, something Moyes clearly lacked.
I wonder whether Moyes could be ruthless and decisive to be honest. The guy would have never got the job without a big share of nepotism. By kickstarting a revolution he would have had to basically tell the owners that the guy who worked hard to appoint him had left a mess behind. VG got the job out of his own merit. He also been 'blessed' by having undeniable facts (United ended up 7th with the former side) as proof that this squad needed serious investment. No one can say that VG is a dunce, not even SAF.

The funny thing is that apart from Fellaini, Moyes and VG are pretty much on the same page

a) playing narrow
b) getting rid of the deadwood and the old guard
c) putting emphasis on passes

There's VG written all over it

Jev

Why all the hate towards Rio? The guy is a club legend. He spoke out because he knew, like we knew (or at least know now), that the club needed Moyes out in order to progress. I applaud that. Besides, Moyes has given his version as well.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I think you're all forgetting Moyes came out and called the players out for being "mentally weak"

To be perfectly honest, balls to him! I owe him nothing and could care less about him.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I think you're all forgetting Moyes came out and called the players out for being "mentally weak"

To be perfectly honest, balls to him! I owe him nothing and could care less about him.
To be fair the players were mentally weak last season.

devilish

I think the senior players would have been open to new ideas if it came from someone with authority like Van Gaal.

But it does make things a lot easier undoubtedly.
Actually they wouldn't have a choice. In Moyes case they could blame the man from lack of experience. That excuse runs thin with VG

Spoony

The People's President
The comment about the narrow 4222 is interesting. Sounds like he would have sabotaged Van Gaal too. Getting rid of senior players who aren't open to new ideas is obviously more important than I thought. We're probably well rid of Rio, Evra and Vidic.

Indeed. Not surprising that the three have moved on.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
That narrow 4-2-2-2 comment makes no sense considering he was hell bent on playing Valencia and Young all season long while he had Kagawa & Nani who'd have fit that formation to a tee.

Jev

But taking jabs at your manager and leaking it to the press is captain material?
Why do the Caf insist that Rio was the leak as if it was a confirmed fact? We've heard it was a 'young player' ages ago.

mu4c_20le

What jabs did he take at Moyes and leak to the press?
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rio-ferdinand-criticises-manchester-united-2897769

That was one of his nicer jabs. Countless oh-so-cleverly-cryptic tweets over the past year, some mocked by our rivals and ABUs.

The point is that Rio was made captain because he's respected in the dressing room and he's a 'lovable' figure when things are going well, when he is happy and isn't shit stirring. But by no means is he a role model.

.Rossi

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rio-ferdinand-criticises-manchester-united-2897769

That was one of his nicer jabs. Countless oh-so-cleverly-cryptic tweets over the past year, some mocked by our rivals and ABUs.

The point is that Rio was made captain because he's respected in the dressing room and he's a 'lovable' figure when things are going well, when he is happy and isn't shit stirring. But by no means is he a role model.
With the exception of Gary Neville and Vidic, not one of our captains in the last 30 years have been role models

Oneunited26

All true, but we are not talking about being champions, but actually getting 5th/6th. And with all due respect, Moyes himself spent 64 mil!
Let us not forget the talent of blackburn 1995 when they won the PL, next year they struggled big time. I just do not think any manager could have got far with the 2013/14 squad, when investment was tight, it needed a season like 2013/14 season to see the change in clubs policy to get up to date with everyone, and see the club wake up from this model that was holding us back. The new transfer policy could see us become a special team again in the next few years, not an average one that we have seen between 2009-14

Before blind di maria and falcao were signed up, we were still struggling, because of the problems in the current squad were still there, especially midfield, if carrick was injured we had a huge problem, and he is 32 or 33. No offence to some of the players that were playing, but in fletcher cleverley valencia young any team was not going to get far, at best those 4 are a bottom 10 standard of players, and all of fletcher cleverley valencia and young have started the first 3 games of the season with just 2 points from 9, there was no fear factor when these 4 were starting games, and they were the heart beat of our midfield and creativity leaving mata rooney and RVP isolated. Now blind di maria herrera and mata, possibly a different ball game. You want opposing teams looking back at us, and thinking you are going to get beat today when you who is coming onto that pitch wearing that red shirt

Now to Moyes inept decisions he bought the wrong player in the summer in fellaini, now the way VG has set the team up, even though it was against QPR, the signing of mata could still turn out to be a stunning signing by Moyes. If VG can get the best out of Di Maria herrera mata rooney with either VP or Falcao all at the same time, I see all of these guys ripping the double figure barrier, especially di maria mata rooney VP and falcao, if used in the right manner.

What ever we all think of Moyes, he shared the same opinion has the rest of us, the squad in its current state before august 2014, or in his time august 2013-may 2014, the squad was in huge need of an overhaul. The manner in how he wanted to sign the players was terrible, but in essence he knew this squad had hit the wall. Way too many players were all past their prime, vidic could have offered us maybe another year or 2, but ferdinand evra giggs were past their prime, anderson fletcher cleverley valencia nani zaha young and kagwa were clearly not good enough, and the likes of rooney carrick and RVP had below par seasons, and welbeck hernandez did not quiet make the step up. We had no pace, no identity in how we wanted to beat teams, even under fergie in the last few years of his reign, we lost our swagger and identity replacing quality with quantity, and in the end we were knocked out under Moyes. When you swim with the sharks, you got to be equipped to keep up, and we were not and we got ripped apart. Every support structure has a breaking point, and 2013/14 season time ran out for this squad

Look at who has left - ferdinand vidic evra butner cleverley giggs nani kagwa zaha hernandez kagwa, already I see fellaini anderson young leaving next summer, with nani zaha cleverley and hernandez loans being made permanently, valencia and fletcher will be the only ones I see surviving this firesale. So the evidence was there, there needed a major shakeup. Moyes was unlucky he joined the club at the wrong time, it was a time when investment was tight, and a squad needing major changes with huge changes in the boardroom, with woodward replacing Gill who was completely new to the job - so in all it was like a perfect storm that exploded in such a manner, that I do not think any of us would see a free-fall to this extent. But we got fully exposed for the dross taking over the squad, only now is the club trying to put it right. What summed up the last few years of fergie and Moyes, cleverley valencia and young, it does not get any worse than that

Last edited:

devilish

Vidic never said a bad word about anyone. Few months after Moyes was signed he made it obvious that he won't stay at the club and at the end he got the standing ovation he deserved. He left the club at the first signs of decline and moved on with his career.

Rio can't stop bitching about what happened at United. He celebrated Moyes departure and despite not being good enough anymore he stick to the place until we had to tell him to leave the premises. He's a QPR employee now however he cant stop talking about us.

I find Rio bashing a bit ironic to be honest. Moyes was not a great manager but same can be said about Rio in his final years with us. Ah and BTW no one can ever say that Moyes unprofessional attitude (ex skipping a drug test) had costed us a league title.

acnumber9

Vidic never said a bad word about anyone. Few months after Moyes was signed he made it obvious that he won't stay at the club and at the end he got the standing ovation he deserved. He left the club at the first signs of decline and moved on with his career.

Rio can't stop bitching about what happened at United. He celebrated Moyes departure and despite not being good enough anymore he stick to the place until we had to tell him to leave the premises. He's a QPR employee now however he cant stop talking about us.

I find Rio bashing a bit ironic to be honest. Moyes was not a great manager but same can be said about Rio in his final years with us. Ah and BTW no one can ever say that Moyes unprofessional attitude (ex skipping a drug test) had costed us a league title.
Let's not pretend that Vidic left because he felt that's what was right for United. He deserted what he thought was a sinking ship.

RedRover

I agree with most of that to be fair.

Rio may not have liked Moyes, and if half of what he says is true then he wont be the only player who felt like that. A number of players, in my opinion just stopped trying for Moyes, and that's not acceptable. Rio was one of them and once he knew he was on his way he just made Moyes life difficult.

He achieved a lot at the club and has to be commended, but he was on the turn and needed to be moved on for the good of the team. I suspect Van Gaal wouldnt have wanted him anyway - too much to say and frankly, too little to offer now. You dont need people like that around the dressing roomo when you're trying to rebuild.

RedRover

Let's not pretend that Vidic left because he felt that's what was right for United. He deserted what he thought was a sinking ship.
He did, but to be fair to him he's done it with some measure of dignity at least.

.Rossi

"Can't stop talking about us".....

It's his bloody autobiography!!!
What are you expecting?! An insight into the day to day running of his #5 brand? Or, 2 glorious months at QPR?

Fully Fledged

I think that most of the players who led the rebellion are the one who have been let go by the club. You don't want players to get it into their heads that they can just decide not to play for a manager and he will eventually get the sack, then we can go on as before.

Yes a manager will be sacked if he can't control the squad. But I think that the club was within it's rights to ship out the players who refused to cooperate as well.

Not saying that I liked Moyes or wanted him to stay but you can't have players running the club or putting down tools every time they disagree with the manager.

acnumber9

The comment about the narrow 4222 is interesting. Sounds like he would have sabotaged Van Gaal too. Getting rid of senior players who aren't open to new ideas is obviously more important than I thought. We're probably well rid of Rio, Evra and Vidic.
As far as I can recall Evra was one of the few who didn't turn against Moyes. Moyes even singled him out for being a great leader in the dressing room I think. There's plenty to suggest Rio and Vidic were against him. I'm not so sure about Evra.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He did, but to be fair to him he's done it with some measure of dignity at least.
There's nothing dignified in the club captain posing with another club's jersey in the middle of the club's worst season in decades.

acnumber9

He deserves credit for that. He's decided to keep his thoughts to himself for now and you could tell he felt awkward answering questions about Moyes when he was asked. I have no real issue with Ferdinand expressing his opinion mind you. I don't think Moyes earned many of the players respect and should Moyes ever write a book I would doubt he'll hold back himself.

Sam

People having a go at Rio :lol:

I presume these people showed similar outrage when Fergie, Keane, Neville, Scholes, Rooney etc etc wrote biographies.

devilish

And he did the right thing. If he didn't agreed with the project then he should leave the club. However he didn't commit any damage neither to the club or its reputation

What a difference between him and someone who had been bitching for an entire season despite playing shit and kept expecting a new contract despite clearly not being good enough anymore.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Ferdinand is well-versed on all things "embarrassing". See his performances for the past few years.

Oneunited26

Ferdinand was just past his best, and it summed up the problems Moyes was facing, the squad was altogether for a long time, 2006-14 is a long time for a group of players especially the core of the squad. Like I said on my thoughts, the squad just hit the break wall. Like I say every support structure had a breaking point, and united's breaking point of a squad needing a overhaul was in my view 2011, we just some how kept going in the last 2 years of fergie. We were just knocked out last season because the squads time was finally up, and the overhaul is underway

acnumber9

And he did the right thing. If he didn't agreed with the project then he should leave the club. However he didn't commit any damage neither to the club or its reputation

What a difference between him and someone who had been bitching for an entire season despite playing shit and kept expecting a new contract despite clearly not being good enough anymore.
What damage has been done to Manchester United by anything that's been said? Both were not the players thy had been before. That's injuries and the ageing process for you. They aren't crimes.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He's a QPR employee now however he cant stop talking about us.
And Moyes, despite his failure, will always be glad to be labelled 'former Manchester United manager'; do you really think he'd be so in demand as a tv pundit if he didn't have that glamour & accomplishment-by-association? He failed, yet he'll use the United cachet unashamedly - as he has done recently - because there's precious little interesting, glamorous or accomplished about him.

Fully Fledged

Yeah he did. Every player who didn't give there best even if they didn't agree with DM's methods contributed to our current situation. They might not have agreed with his tactics but if they have given there best we would have finished better than we did last season.

The players who didn't perform for DM are as much to blame for us finishing 7th as DM is.

devilish

"Can't stop talking about us".....

It's his bloody autobiography!!!
What are you expecting?! An insight into the day to day running of his #5 brand? Or, 2 glorious months at QPR?
He should be more diplomatic about what happened in the last year. Someone of his age and experience should know better.

Football is a close knit thing and if he is interested in coaching then he will have to start everything by scratch. Now name me a manager who would take him under his wing after he ridiculed one of them in that way

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys

If they got so upset over chips, maybe they were mentally weak!

devilish

What damage has been done to Manchester United by anything that's been said? Both were not the players thy had been before. That's injuries and the ageing process for you. They aren't crimes.
First of all one should always be diplomatic regarding his work place. I've worked in shit holes and had retarded managers which made dream of going to my workplace with a pump gun. Yet I never said one bad word about them and when forced to the ropes I would always opt for the diplomatic answer even if that would cost me a job opportunity. Bitching about your past experiences reflects bad more on yourself then others.

Secondly United are still recovering from what happened last year. The directors who gave Moyes the nod are still at OT, two of which are legends and one of which sticked to Rio even when he conveniently forgot to take his drug test. The club is also in the stock market and if the investors believe that the club is lead by retards who would appoint a dino as manager then shares may suffer. United made Rio rich so the last thing he can do is to shut up.

VG is a great manager and this is probably his last adventure. His reputation will depend alot on whether he can sort the mess Moyes and co had left so he must have plenty to say about what's going on. And yet he refrained from pointing fingers to Moyes. He even refrained from calling Rio a has been and that despite everyone knows that. That's what professionalism is all about

devilish

Yeah he did. Every player who didn't give there best even if they didn't agree with DM's methods contributed to our current situation. They might not have agreed with his tactics but if they have given there best we would have finished better than we did last season.

The players who didn't perform for DM are as much to blame for us finishing 7th as DM is.
And where exactly did Vidic not given his best? In my opinion Nemanja did his outmost for the club till the very end and left the club like a true legend. No bitching, no expectations of being given a new contract despite playing shite and no pointing to fingers at anyone

acnumber9

First of all one should always be diplomatic regarding his work place. I've worked in shit holes and had retarded managers which made dream of going to my workplace with a pump gun. Yet I never said one bad word about them and when forced to the ropes I would always opt for the diplomatic answer even if that would cost me a job opportunity. Bitching about your past experiences reflects bad more on yourself then others.

Secondly United are still recovering from what happened last year. The directors who gave Moyes the nod are still at OT, two of which are legends and one of which sticked to Rio even when he conveniently forgot to take his drug test. The club is also in the stock market and if the investors believe that the club is lead by retards who would appoint a dino as manager then shares may suffer. United made Rio rich so the last thing he can do is to shut up.

VG is a great manager and this is probably his last adventure. His reputation will depend alot on whether he can sort the mess Moyes and co had left so he must have plenty to say about what's going on. And yet he refrained from pointing fingers to Moyes. He even refrained from calling Rio a has been and that despite everyone knows that. That's what professionalism is all about
I find it hard to believe thy if your work has been that bad that you have never uttered a word of it to anyone. If you haven't then you are in the vast minority on that one.

Do you really believe share prices are going to be effected by a former players autobiography? Do you think it would go up if he said how fabulous it was last season? I doubt many looking to invest in Manchester United even know who Rio Ferdinand is.

Why would Van Gaal talk about something that happened when he wasn't here? So far he has said Danny Welbeck wasn't good enough and that Kagawa couldn't fulfill his wishes.

Andy_Cole

People having a go at Rio :lol:

I presume these people showed similar outrage when Fergie, Keane, Neville, Scholes, Rooney etc etc wrote biographies.
It's ridiculous. These same people showed Rio disrespect whilst he was at the club just because he was active with his life after United (Twitter, #5 brand). End of the day, he was professional at United, we don't know he was leaking to the press last season and I'm going to choose to think it wasn't him unless stated otherwise.

Maybe because he's a bit of a rude boy is why a section of our fans don't like him. I don't know. End of the day he's the best centre back United have ever had in my lifetime. I was really happy United gave him the respect he deserved yesterday as he was here for 12 years and did deserve a great send off.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
'Fact is, Moyes has had (and taken) his chance to shape the narrative since being dismissed; we can't, in all seriousness, complain when someone else does the same.