Gaming RIP PES(Pro Evolution Soccer) 2001 - 2021

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Konami didn’t adapt fast enough from the PS2 to the PS3. Their first few PS3 PES games were horrific.

I still play it on the PS2 and it’s enjoyable

Superunknown

Master league and offline modes are rumoured to not even be making a return. Feck me.

You get 9 teams and you have to buy the others....

What a feck you to the fans.

Dumbing a game down to cross platform and play vs mobile users..... :lol:
Wanna play as Everton? That's gonna cost you.

That third sub isn't going to come for free.

Corner kicks? Hope you've got a season pass for that.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Konami didn’t adapt fast enough from the PS2 to the PS3. Their first few PS3 PES games were horrific.

PES 2008 was the first of the PS3 era (I think) and it was such a let down after they'd improved game on game from PES 3 to PES 6.

I don't think they really got going again until about 2018 then, and now they seem to have binned it.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

I think pes 2008 is the last one I remember playing and really liking. The one with Ronaldo and Owen on the cover. I don't think I really bothered with them after that. Back in the day though they were incredible games, then Fifa came along and blew them out of the water

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
PES 2008 was the first of the PS3 era (I think) and it was such a let down after they'd improved game on game from PES 3 to PES 6.

I don't think they really got going again until about 2018 then, and now they seem to have binned it.
Yeah, it was cross-gen. I really liked that game. Went downhill after that for me.

gormless

Haven’t bought a football game in about 5 years. I’m against games for a service.
But if I can pay 20 quid for whatever the master league is called nowadays and just play that, I’d be tempted.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I remember being so excited by the hype of the first PES that I went to the HMV on Oxford St when it came out to play against strangers on the trial PS2s they had in their stores. So much fun, it blew my mind. Then years of getting the new PES on Christmas Day and spending the next 365 days playing Master League and against mates at each of our houses. What a time.

:(

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Everyone acting like it’s dead, but… couldn’t this actually be quite good?!

I have absolutely no idea personally, cos I’m in my mid-30s and buy about 2 video games a year… but the game still exists, right?…. RIGHT!? You just don’t have to shell out £60 a year for a barely noticeable update and it’s now got a stupid new name? (But then it was called ISS to start with anyway, and Winning Eleven in Japan so… who cares?)

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I had it on PS2 and loved it (it’s the one I still play). I bought it for the PS3 expecting it to be better but it was a shit show.

The master league would just have the AI win 1-0 or 1-1 against each other.

There was an PS2 PES game where the weather would always be sunny during ML but you could overlook that due to how good the game was. But for me, the more minor errors I saw the bigger they seemed.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I have absolutely no idea personally, cos I’m in my mid-30s and buy about 2 video games a year… but the game still exists, right?…. RIGHT!? You just don’t have to shell out £60 a year for a barely noticeable update and it’s now got a stupid new name? (But then it was called ISS to start with anyway, and Winning Eleven in Japan so… who cares?)
Nothing is free…

Woodzy

Depends on the gameplay for me, but there's a chance.

Need to remember that PES 3 was very limited but was incredible and started off an amazing run for the series.

Sweet Square

eFootball will launch with exhibition matches and seemingly a selection of 9 clubs to play with (see the roadmap below for the full list). It will subsequently sell other modes as optional DLC, seemingly allowing players to pay for what they want out of their game.

https://www.ign.com/articles/efootball-pes-2022-free-to-play-renamed-release-date?utm_source=twitter

I remember being so excited by the hype of the first PES that I went to the HMV on Oxford St when it came out to play against strangers on the trial PS2s they had in their stores. So much fun, it blew my mind. Then years of getting the new PES on Christmas Day and spending the next 365 days playing Master League and against mates at each of our houses. What a time.

:(
I still remember me and my mate both saving up in order to get one copy of PES 5 from HMV. It was like looking after a divorced child.

This gives me nightmares. My brother used to abuse that left foot of his and I was too stubborn to select Inter or Brazil because I was a loyalist (United and Germany).
I still remember one of my mates spending about an hour making a custom team with every player having a 99 rating only for me to beat him 1 - 0 via a 30 yards screamer from Adriano. The result was both the PS2 controller and console flying across the living room.

el3mel

Watch microtransaction and pay to win strategy dominate the online multiplayer of this game thanks to it being "free".

It's basically the mobile games developing strategy. Konami has been doing it with Yugioh Duel Links for a long time, so they also now want to do it to their football franchise.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I still remember one of my mates spending about an hour making a custom team with every player having a 99 rating only for me to beat him 1 - 0 via a 30 yards screamer from Adriano. The result was both the PS2 controller and console flying across the living room.
Good times I'm sure but Adriano was plain broken. Like alarmingly so.

I remember everyone on PES 6 online was either Inter or Brazil and always played a 4-2-4 formation. Boy that got old quick.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Watch microtransaction and pay to win strategy dominate the online multiplayer of this game thanks to it being "free".
Even Warzone isn't pay to win, so it's not a given that's how it'll go. More like pay for cosmetic stuff, if they have any sense.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

It's basically the mobile games developing strategy. Konami has been doing it with Yugioh Duel Links for a long time, so they also now want to do it to their football franchise.
I’m certain that FIFA use scripting to encourage people to buy more packs. Inevitable that eFootball does the same.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I would stay up till four in the morning playing this when I was 14 years old during the summer holidays.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I’m certain that FIFA use scripting to encourage people to buy more packs. Inevitable that eFootball does the same.
Yeah that's the problem. Anything competitive and they want to dictate exactly how that works to keep people playing. People have found mad stuff in Activision documents before, that goes way beyong sbmm.

el3mel

Yes they do. That's why I stopped playing Ultimate Team after only one year. Some times I feel like a player whom I bought and was great at the start turns to shit after some days, as if the game is telling me "time to buy new players, what, you wanted to play the whole year with the same team ?".

Sweet Square

Good times I'm sure but Adriano was plain broken. Like alarmingly so.

I remember everyone on PES 6 online was either Inter or Brazil and always played a 4-2-4 formation. Boy that got old quick.
Yeah in the end we only picked Inter and Brazil out of pure desperation.

Chelsea were very under rated imo. Drogba was nearly as good as Adriano(Plus Crespo) and then you had pace on the wings with Duff, Joe Cole and Robben along with Lampard in midfield. For most of the time I played as Arsenal due to that Home Kit :drool:.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Did you win in the end?
Yea i would win the hardest system or whatever it was called. Used beat my mates when playing them, i was playing so much.

My favourite trick was when my mate would be through on goal and i would press r2 or something and the goaly would come flying out.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The GK were always the best tacklers , generally because they were automatically controlled by the AI once you bring them out.

JB7

Yeah this is pretty much where I'm at with it. It saves the upfront cost of buying the game to see if I find the gameplay playable which I haven't for a long time (bar I think PES19). I don't give a toss for any of the online features so if they have improved the gameplay to such a level where it's enjoyable again then I'd happily pay £15-20 or whatever it'll be for the Master League add-on.

JB7

They do, they'll deny it all day long but the PC modders have found it in the games coding multiple times.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
100%, it's not even subtle. One game you'll have all your players responding to changes of direction as soon as you input them, passes travelling like laser beams, defenders hoovering up interceptions that they have no right to get - then the next game the same players with the same condition will have the turning circle of ocean liners, simply won't turn when you tell them to so half the passes are 'off balance', opposition passes will travel straight through your defenders, and in the unlikely event they do get hit, the ball will simply bounce off and go straight back to one of theirs, defenders who were sprinting (and using super cancel override) will slow down to let attackers run clear etc etc.

It's mostly of course to get people to buy coins, but it's partially a handicap system as well to keep low rated players playing (and buying coins) no matter how shit they are, as it's most noticeable by far against low rated opponents. I can bum somebody in the top 100 of the overall ladder on PC one game and then not get a kick against somebody with 300-odd rating who hasn't even played 10 games yet in the next because my players have apparently been out on the piss in between matches.

I've had the 'gold and black badge' a few versions ago so I've learned not to give a feck about ratings since, as with the game being as obviously crooked as it is now, that's a good way for gamepads to end up being chucked at screens. :(

Here's one of my favourite examples from one of my own games of it being 'not your turn to win' against an awful player who almost seemed to be trying to pass through as many defenders as he could:

The first two passes could have been intercepted 4 times over, the defenders header (a clearance aimed down towards the near touchline) inexplicably goes behind to put the striker through, and finally Puyol is goal side and in position to hoover it up and then suddenly evaporates. :lol:

Halftrack

100%, it's not even subtle. One game you'll have all your players responding to changes of direction as soon as you input them, passes travelling like laser beams, defenders hoovering up interceptions that they have no right to get - then the next game the same players with the same condition will have the turning circle of ocean liners, simply won't turn when you tell them to so half the passes are 'off balance', opposition passes will travel straight through your defenders, and in the unlikely event they do get hit, the ball will simply bounce off and go straight back to one of theirs, defenders who were sprinting (and using super cancel override) will slow down to let attackers run clear etc etc.

It's mostly of course to get people to buy coins, but it's partially a handicap system as well to keep low rated players playing (and buying coins) no matter how shit they are, as it's most noticeable by far against low rated opponents. I can bum somebody in the top 100 of the overall ladder on PC one game and then not get a kick against somebody with 300-odd rating who hasn't even played 10 games yet in the next because my players have apparently been out on the piss in between matches.

I've had the 'gold and black badge' a few versions ago so I've learned not to give a feck about ratings since, as with the game being as obviously crooked as it is now, that's a good way for gamepads to end up being chucked at screens. :(

Here's one of my favourite examples from one of my own games of it being 'not your turn to win' against an awful player who almost seemed to be trying to pass through as many defenders as he could:

The first two passes could have been intercepted 4 times over, the defenders header (a clearance aimed down towards the near touchline) inexplicably goes behind to put the striker through, and finally Puyol is goal side and in position to hoover it up and then suddenly evaporates. :lol:
This bullshit even goes on in kick-off and career mode. Used to play FIFA a lot with mates, and eventually I just couldn't get past how the game would interfere. Every other pass going astray, pacy forward being chased down by a tugboat, keepers letting in soft goals. If the game isn't going to be decided on the skill of the players (with the controllers in front of the TV, not those on the pitch inside of it), why the feck are we even playing it? It especially makes no fecking sense in Kick Off, where you're playing one-off matches and there's no need for the game to simulate form.

Last edited:

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Have you played the newer ones? PES fell behind FIFA for a while but imo it got significantly better after a while and is easily better than FIFA
Pes has been miles better than FIFA since the 2017 edition. Barring a few unnecessary data pack updates, the core gameplay is excellent. What they needed to do was, work on the presentation and revamping master league, other than obviously improving the gameplay for a next gen jump. Sadly based on the trailer they're more focused on the E side of things now. Even the graphics don't really next gen based on the new snippets
I disagree. The gameplay doesn't do it for me. The players feel separate from each other and just the flow and feel of the game doesn't feel right.

I prefer PES4/5/6 gameplay, I wish they could go back to it. Crazy how a PS2 PES game is still better than a 2021 PES game.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Master league will be part of a DLC package. This was confirmed by a Japanese source from Konami on Twitter. Either way, I hope they don’t dumb down controls for PC and Console users with the cross platform mobile phone compatibility

gorky_utd

Pes has been miles better than FIFA since the 2017 edition. Barring a few unnecessary data pack updates, the core gameplay is excellent. What they needed to do was, work on the presentation and revamping master league, other than obviously improving the gameplay for a next gen jump. Sadly based on the trailer they're more focused on the E side of things now. Even the graphics don't really next gen based on the new snippets
I have played pes lite as well as FIFA ultimate team this year on pc. PES has more natural movements but that's it. The shooting animation is awkward, horrible gk, players look like zombies in cut scenes. FIFA doesn't have the best gameplay, infact it is skill move spamming in online, but player models, animations are miles ahead of PES.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I think PES 2018 is better than the most recent Fifa - I haven't played a Fifa on Xbox/PS is years prior so couldn't compare. Although Fifa 21 is just not football at all, PES2018 plays a lot better.

THAT BEING SAID - it would be a fantastic move on their part to go back to the more arcadey PES3-6 range. Imagine better graphics, more fluid movements, but the same pinball passing and feints. Would be incredible.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Master league will be part of a DLC package. This was confirmed by a Japanese source from Konami on Twitter. Either way, I hope they don’t dumb down controls for PC and Console users with the cross platform mobile phone compatibility
For mobile users to play cross platform with consoles and pc they'll need to use a controller so I can't imagine the controls will be dumbed down overall

Withnail

Well I am gutted. PES 21 was a breath of fresh air. Sad to see the direction Konami are taking it.
Breath of fresh air? I recently switched from 19 to 21 and it's been a disappointment. The scripting seems to have gone up a notch.

Randomly all your players suddenly start making wayward passes, being unresponsive and ignoring the ball that's right beside them etc.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I have played pes lite as well as FIFA ultimate team this year on pc. PES has more natural movements but that's it. The shooting animation is awkward, horrible gk, players look like zombies in cut scenes. FIFA doesn't have the best gameplay, infact it is skill move spamming in online, but player models, animations are miles ahead of PES.
I switched shooting to manual myself and there's a huge difference in terms of the physics. It really frees up shots and I've been able to hit some absolute crackers.

It's much harder of course but the trade off is worth it I think. The game just doesn't let you score good goals with anybody but the best players otherwise. All goals were so samey.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
There's no doubting that there is a clear stiffness in the player movements in PES compared to FIFA's, which are very natural to some extent. Though I prefer PES's player models.
There's a stronger sense of weight to them. With FIFA they're just alittle too light (ice skating ,comes to mind) , while this is not taking into account of FIFA's absolutely laughable skills/tricks system. Pulling off tricks one after the other looks and feels rather stupid and arguably its the most unrealistic aspect of both games.

I also prefer the gaming pace and passing in PES. FIFA lack, once again, weight.
Hitting a cross field pass in PES is just a great feeling, especially if you pull it off well on manual. Compared to FIFA passing is pretty soulless and flat.

I do feel FIFA has a better variety in its shooting though. The mechanics are far more developed compared to PES, which are still rather basic.