Riyad Mahrez | It's part of the game innit

PeteManic

I genuinely think missing the target when hitting a penalty is the biggest crime in football.

marktan

I genuinely think missing the target when hitting a penalty is the biggest crime in football.
It's probably a lot to do with pressure. Messi's missed many, Ronaldo's even missed a few crucial ones (Barca 07/08 and CL final).

I thought Mahrez was one of City's better players today. Had the closest opportunity in the match to score, mostly of his own making. Sterling in comparison continued his dissapearing act vs Liverpool.

Jacko21

I guess you have to admire his bottle for asking to take a last min penalty at Anfield to win the game.

I’d have shat myself.

Stadjer

Like Lukaku he should never be on penalty duty. That said his record makes Lukaku's look class. Lukaku: 11/16, Mahrez: 9/15
Lukaku missed that many? It kind of confirms that Lukaku isnt very clinical when he has time to think when in front of goal...

Treble

He wasn't bad but was a bit selfish. Think he will adapt and will be a good asset for them come the second part of the season.

Aloysius's Back 3

Why did they sign him?
If they lose the PL - it's not Mahrez's fault but I blame the transfer.

I felt they had a solid front 3 - Sane, Sterling & Aguero with enough back ups to see an understanding develop. It hasnt exactly happened & players in general except Aguero have struggled to maintain a level of form throughout the whole season in comparison to last year. Obviously injuries to players like fernandinho effected them as well.

You look at United & if we had a player like Sane - we would want him to develop the most. Instead; like Mourinho bought sanchez to drop martial, mahrez has taken the spot of Sane squad role this season; even if he doesnt play in the exact same position.

Unnecessary Transfer.

gibers

If they lose the PL - it's not Mahrez's fault but I blame the transfer.

I felt they had a solid front 3 - Sane, Sterling & Aguero with enough back ups to see an understanding develop. It hasnt exactly happened & players in general except Aguero have struggled to maintain a level of form throughout the whole season in comparison to last year. Obviously injuries to players like fernandinho effected them as well.

You look at United & if we had a player like Sane - we would want him to develop the most. Instead; like Mourinho bought sanchez to drop martial, mahrez has taken the spot of Sane squad role this season; even if he doesnt play in the exact same position.

Unnecessary Transfer.
Mahrez hasn't taken anything.

City had only two out and out wingers seeing as B. SIlva has played through the middle most of the season...

They needed another attacker that can play in the wide areas...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
To provide healthy competition for their forwards. If you don't sign anyone then things can go stale and players can lose the drive and determination to win as they think they're settled and won't be competing for a spot. Plus he's a good player.

Irwin99

I never really hear anything about him at City. His stats must be pretty poor this year?

Edit- 9 goals, so it's not that bad .

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
I never really hear anything about him at City. His stats must be pretty poor this year?

Edit- 9 goals, so it's not that bad .
He's been quite good but I think he's too greedy. Till he sorts that out he'll be 3rd choice RW for the big games.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
He's been quite good but I think he's too greedy. Till he sorts that out he'll be 3rd choice RW for the big games.
Yea I think on reflection we did need to sign another winger, given that B. Silva has been converted into primarily a midfielder (I think he has so much more impact on the game in midfield vs. on the wing like last night). Given that he's a proven PL player (and PL winner), Mahrez really should've offered more this season. He's miles behind Sane and Sterling in terms of production and quality.

He's obviously talented, but to me he plays a lot like he's still by far the best player in a struggling team. So more often than not he tries to do too much on his own, whether that be taking on one too many players while dribbling, or shooting when there are better options available, or (worst of all) not giving his all tracking back.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yea I think on reflection we did need to sign another winger, given that B. Silva has been converted into primarily a midfielder (I think he has so much more impact on the game in midfield vs. on the wing like last night). Given that he's a proven PL player (and PL winner), Mahrez really should've offered more this season. He's miles behind Sane and Sterling in terms of production and quality.

He's obviously talented, but to me he plays a lot like he's still by far the best player in a struggling team. So more often than not he tries to do too much on his own, whether that be taking on one too many players while dribbling, or shooting when there are better options available, or (worst of all) not giving his all tracking back.
Why is Silva playing on the wings when you have sterling, sane and Mahrez?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Hardly a flop at all.

He cost £10m more than Fred, and that's probably the bracket we're now looking at for squad depth attacking players.

Member 90887

Biggest flop, Sanchez or Mahrez?
That shouldn't even be a question... While he hasn't been at his best, Mahrez has been pretty good.

Sanchez on the other way ... i would argue one of our worst signing ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
One cost Mkhitaryan who was equally as shit, the other cost 60+ million pounds. I say they are both equally as bad signings.
Sanchez is going to work out a hell of a lot more expensive than Mahrez throughout his contract.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm not even sure you could call shamans penis as big a flop as Sanchez.
:lol:

On a serious note, how is this even a question? Mahrez hasn't actually been from what I've seen just not great /not as good as their other two main wingers.

Kostov

Sanchez is going to work out a hell of a lot more expensive than Mahrez throughout his contract.
I'm not sure. Disregarding the blatant propaganda that was spouted when he opted for us instead of City, I've seen the Guardian report Alexis's wage at 300k per week +bonuses. Taking into account the way he is playing,(and not playing regularly) hardly much bonuses he will get in my opinion. Now unless you think Mahrez plays for free, I don't think he would be cheaper.

ChaddyP

That's shouldn't be even a question... While he hasn't been at his best, Mahrez has been pretty good.

Sanchez on the other way ... i would argue one of our worst signing ever.
He's been wank but let's not go over board into cuckoo Town

padr81

Supports
Man City
Why is Silva playing on the wings when you have sterling, sane and Mahrez?
He plays on the wing when KDB and D Silva are in the middle and we're using inverted wingers (left foot on the right, right foot on the left) because he's better than Mahrez.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Biggest flop, Sanchez or Mahrez?
One has a goal or assist every 100 minutes (Mahrez), the other has 9 goal contribution in 1963 minutes since he's joined United. (in the PL and CL) so a goal contribution every 210 minutes or so.
Mahrez has not been great and has been greedy and frustrating but he's been far better than Alexis.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I said at the time Mahrez wasn't good enough to step up to City's level, far too one dimensional and not even top class at what he is good at. Sterling and Sane are far better

A poor man's Nani to be extremely blunt

Thunderhead

Supports
City
he's been frustrating for the most part but when he's played he's tried too hard as he's not getting in front of Sterling.

I didn't want him anyway, but he's still a decent squad option to have.

El Zoido

One has a goal or assist every 100 minutes (Mahrez), the other has 9 goal contribution in 1963 minutes since he's joined United. (in the PL and CL) so a goal contribution every 210 minutes or so.
Mahrez has not been great and has been greedy and frustrating but he's been far better than Alexis.
Sanchez looks finished whereas Mahrez certainly has a lot of his career ahead of him. It seems more like a blip in adjusting to his new club compared to Sanchez.