Riyad Mahrez | It's part of the game innit

Hes been awful ever since they signed him they should get rid of him. He doesn't suit them at all.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
If you've missed 3 of your last 5 penalties, you have no right to even look at the spot never mind pushing away another player to take one.

Overrated twat.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Never understood why people wanted him hear, not good enough and tbh here would be another in the mentally weak camp as well

Zoo

David Silva is the senior player and should have taken control of that situation and probably even taken the penalty.

The_Midfielder

why didnt we buy Mahrez.. he could play from the right and is amazing.
Fergie would have bought him after the championship season

padr81

Supports
Man City
Pep's call, he better lose his hard on for Mahrez fairly rapid, he's not been great at all.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
"he's missed five of his last eight penalties"
Pep: "who?"

who do you think you nobhead?

El Zoido

He looks mediocre at City. They’ll bin him off within two years I reckon.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Way too early to be definitive about him. Not sparkled so far but Pep’s system is difficult to learn.
Last season Bernardo was getting doubts cast at him by both City and other “experts” but he pulled it round and is now a great asset to the team.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Too premature to say he's been a bad fit for them. Look at the Bernando Silva thread last season for proof. Takes time to bed into Pep's system.

That said when you're still bedding in... You don't act the cnut and take the ball from your striker, and then sky it over the bar.

Aguero would have told Mahrez to feck off. Jesus is probably too young. And Silva doesn't seem to be the captain that would override an order from the bench.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Way too early to be definitive about him. Not sparkled so far but Pep’s system is difficult to learn.
Last season Bernardo was getting doubts cast at him by both City and other “experts” but he pulled it round and is now a great asset to the team.
The difference with Mahrez is he's greedy. Like really, really greedy. Bernardo and Sane in their first seasons were adapting by comparison, Mahrez knows the league. He's not been terrible but he's going to have to lose the selfish streak really fast.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
The difference with Mahrez is he's greedy. Like really, really greedy. Bernardo and Sane in their first seasons were adapting by comparison, Mahrez knows the league. He's not been terrible but he's going to have to lose the selfish streak really fast.
At Leicester he was relied on to be the main creative player and hasn’t unlearned the mindset that brought with it.
Not sure that Pep will be on his case too much as he constantly tells the players to believe in themselves and be fearless.
Aguero, Sterling, Sane and Gabriel Jesus often also hold onto it too long or ignore colleagues who seem to be in a better position. Unfair to single Mahrez out for it.

Judas

Open to offers
He just doesn't work that great playing for a team that are always on the front foot. He's always looked better in a team who work on the break. It's not all that surprising. He's also very greedy and wasteful, but maybe Pep can stop him being that way.

Either way, don't see him being a long term success.

padr81

Supports
Man City
At Leicester he was relied on to be the main creative player and hasn’t unlearned the mindset that brought with it.
Not sure that Pep will be on his case too much as he constantly tells the players to believe in themselves and be fearless.
Aguero, Sterling, Sane and Gabriel Jesus often also hold onto it too long or ignore colleagues who seem to be in a better position. Unfair to single Mahrez out for it.
The difference is when they are in a position like he was for his right footed shot today they will square the ball or try a cutback for an on running player, Mahrez doesn't look up, soon as the ball came to him for his right footed shot today, he doesn't look to see where anyone is, all he cares about is getting his shots off.

He may learn and I understand at Leicester it was basically "you and Vardy do all the attacking" etc.. You'll very rarely see Raheem, Bernardo or Sane do it, Mahrez does it everytime. The others sometimes take too much out of the ball but Mahrez only thinks of scoring. Aguero does this too, but he's a number 9 not a creative winger.

I think he'll adapt eventually but for now he's been underwhelming and overly greedy, imho of course.

haram

People kept complaining why we were not after him...

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
The difference is when they are in a position like he was for his right footed shot today they will square the ball or try a cutback for an on running player, Mahrez doesn't look up, soon as the ball came to him for his right footed shot today, he doesn't look to see where anyone is, all he cares about is getting his shots off.

He may learn and I understand at Leicester it was basically "you and Vardy do all the attacking" etc.. You'll very rarely see Raheem, Bernardo or Sane do it, Mahrez does it everytime. The others sometimes take too much out of the ball but Mahrez only thinks of scoring. Aguero does this too, but he's a number 9 not a creative winger.

I think he'll adapt eventually but for now he's been underwhelming and overly greedy, imho of course.
That’s why we have coaches? Pep raves about his technical skills so he sees a talent to refine to his full potential.
Not 100% sold on him myself but am prepared to give him a bit more than about 10 appearances before jumping to conclusions.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Would look better in Liverpool's style of player I think.

padr81

Supports
Man City
That’s why we have coaches? Pep raves about his technical skills so he sees a talent to refine to his full potential.
Not 100% sold on him myself but am prepared to give him a bit more than about 10 appearances before jumping to conclusions.
Yeah, I'm probably coming across harsh I don't want to bin him or anything but I think Pep overrates him slightly, he should never have been given the peno given his record, he moves good players off freekicks etc.. He's a good player and I'm confident he'll hit about 15 goals this season but he shouldn't be in the first XI yet nevermind one of our key men.

Charles Miller

Some of the deals in the last window are just wrong. Mahrez would be more suited to Man United. Fabinho to Chelsea; Jorginho to City.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Pen aside I thought he had a decent disciplined game, I'll be honest I didn't want him (even stated on the 4 players you don't want thread) but I think he's going to be decent for us in the long run