Riyad Mahrez | It's part of the game innit

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
His goals (in the first half of the season especially) are a huge factor in how they won the league by the margin they did do.

Matchday 2 - vs Everton (h) - he was a second half sub, Everton were winning 1:0 and he scored the equaliser in the 82nd minute. Final score: 1:1
Matchday 3 - vs Bournemouth (a) - game was 1:1 and Sterling scored the winner in the 97th minute
Matchday 13 - vs Huddersfield Town (a) - game was 1:1 and Sterling scored the winner in the 84th minute
Matchday 14 - vs Southampton (h) - game was 1:1 and Sterling scored the winner in the 96th minute

City won a lot of games comfortably, but a lot of the tight games had Sterling scoring the winner in common. After 14 games of the season, City had won 13, drawn 1 and were top with 40 points compared to our 32. Those four games were ones they could easily have dropped points in and the early lead they had built up could have been non-existent.

Saying Sterling was the weakest part of City is doing him a disservice.
While I agree he obviously played a huge part and had a very good season individually, I still definitely see Mahrez replacing him. Yeah Sterling scored loads of goals, but I do think it was very system dependent. Just like how Pedro scored 23 and 22 goals 2 seasons in a row for Pep, finishing as their 2nd top scorer in 09/10 (ahead of Ibrahimovic and Henry) and just 1 behind David Villa as the 3rd top scorer in 10/11. Pedro was the weakest part of both of those sides obviously, but he just suited the role he had to play where his off the ball movement played a big part to finish off a lot of chances. Sterling I see kind of the same. His role is of course important, but it's based very much on the rest of the system with his pace to put him in goalscoring positions. Mahrez is a much better player individually and in terms of build up play and creativity, while Sterling's goals for them could probably be replaced relatively easily with others providing the finishing touches (Mahrez scores his fair share too).

Basically, I'd say that each midfielder is absolutely vital for Pep's City (fernandinho, david silva and especially de bruyne), while Aguero is obviously the main goalscorer and then Sane more important for Pep and City because of his pace and the width he offers and how he creates so many chances. Sterling is the most expendable out of that midfield and attack (though they'll all just be rotated for the most part I'm sure). Come the more important games, I'd guess Mahrez and Sane get the nod ahead of sterling though.

DarkChildUTD

Arnautovic isn't good enough, and he mostly played on the left or centrally. We've got enough players who play in those two positions.
I am well aware of this, was just being salty coz we seem to be only looking to sign CBs, Mids and left wingers. All while every man and his dog can see we need a right winger and two fullbacks. Rough season ahead if we don't sort those areas and get a proper plan A. Dreading it really!

DarkChildUTD

You mean hope Sanchez just plays like himself...he’s better than most just playing at his level.
Which himself do you mean? His 2 seasons ago himself or his last season himself. He has been consistently crap whole of last season from arsenal to united. If that's his new found level then we are shafted there. How much is he earning per week again?

Mint

If they're willing to pay 60 million, why didn't they pay it in January? All the fuss with Mahrez having a paddy and not turning up would have been avoided.

simplyared

Paying that kind of money for Mahrez is a bit over the top for me. Obviously Pep sees an opportunity to take him to a higher level and maybe replace Silva. Risky imo!

Nero

People really do love losing their shit every time our rivals sign a player. Every signing without fail.

I wonder what people are actually expecting? Do you think City were going to sign Emily Heskey and Titus Bramble?

Hard to keep up with really isn't it. Already got two top players in that position, another top prospect on the bench, so you go and spend 60m on another one. Who can compete with that.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Mahrez strengthens their squad beyond doubt, I don't see him strengthening their first XI. I remember when £30m would get you one of the genuine world class forwards of the time, how times change.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
If they're willing to pay 60 million, why didn't they pay it in January? All the fuss with Mahrez having a paddy and not turning up would have been avoided.
because Leicester wanted 80m+

Renegade

They want to compete and win all 4 trophies now they have 2 quality/solid players per position. Very good signing

RB - Walker / Danilo
CB - Kompany / Stones
CB - Otamendi / Laporte
LB - Mendy / Delph
DM - Fernandinho (new signing)
CM - De Bruyne / Gundogen
CM - Silva / Foden
RW - Mahrez / Sterling
LW - Sane / B. Silva
ST - Aguero / Jesus

Stubble

We'll pay the price if we don't sign a proper right winger in this window - it won't enable us to catch City but will hopefully keep the likes of Liverpool behind us. The right side was a constant weakness last year and made us so predictable and limited in attack. More of the same next year will be totally unacceptable for a club of our stature. The Glazers need to get the cheque book out pronto and Mo needs to forget about prioritising yet another CB above this.

Kapardin

They want to compete and win all 4 trophies now they have 2 quality/solid players per position. Very good signing

RB - Walker / Danilo
CB - Kompany / Stones
CB - Otamendi / Laporte
LB - Mendy / Delph
DM - Fernandinho (new signing)
CM - De Bruyne / Gundogen
CM - Silva / Foden
RW - Mahrez / Sterling
LW - Sane / B. Silva
ST - Aguero / Jesus
That's quite impressive. Fact is, if they rotate, there is no drop in quality which is concerning for rivals.

Meanwhile, we are dicking about with our LB and RW positions where for one position we have one 30+ winger as first choice and hardly any second choice that the manager trusts, and for the other position we have no discernable first choice.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
---------------Ederson---------------
Walker---Kompany---Laporte---Mendy
-------------Fernandinho-------------
----De Bruyne----------D.Silva----
Mahrez--------Sterling--------Sane

Subs: Bravo, Otamendi, Stones, Gundogan, B.Silva, Jesus, Aguero

That's how I expect them to line up unless the signing of Mahrez is because they expect Sterling to move on amid reports he's failed to agree a new deal

Treble

Mahrez and Sane will start the season in the first XI as Sterling will be still on the beach in August. Thus Sterling might have quite a task ahead of him if Mahrez hits the ground running.

Red_Beans

Such an irrelevant post of completely rehashed points that were said loads of time.

They are paying 60m for Mahez in a position they have a player who is just coming from his best season and helped them win the league, so his prize is to get replaced by Mahrez (they aren't paying 60m for a rotational player). Apparently this is a great management from City. United on the other hand sign Sanchez to play in Martial's positing and it's United and Mourinho stealing time from young talents to give them to old players ( and Sanchez is only older than Mahrez by 2 years btw).

You either consider both ambition by clubs to achieve success by sigining top players even if they have good ones, or consider both poor management of replacing players already playing well with additions that you don't need.

But considering City as great management and United's as Mourinho destroying young talents is ridiculous and shows exactly where everyone is.

I for myself have zero issues with them strengthning their squads with more big players even if it means more and tougher competition for the already playing well players, but at the same time I also thought the same when Sanchez started playing on the left that it's not a problem if a 22 years old kid has tougher competition from a top player and that we are only aiming to succeed by buying best players around, not our biggest aim to develop this and this, so my situation is the same.

The hilarious thing is the ones who are contradicting themselves for Pep sake though.
Good post

stepic

That's how I expect them to line up unless the signing of Mahrez is because they expect Sterling to move on amid reports he's failed to agree a new deal
Starting Sterling, renowned for his inability to convert chances, over Jesus and Aguero as a striker :houllier:

Sterling will drop to the bench where he belongs. His stats were alright last year but Mahrez will now likewise benefit from playing with De Bruyne and Silva.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Such an irrelevant post of completely rehashed points that were said loads of time.

They are paying 60m for Mahez in a position they have a player who is just coming from his best season and helped them win the league, so his prize is to get replaced by Mahrez (they aren't paying 60m for a rotational player). Apparently this is a great management from City. United on the other hand sign Sanchez to play in Martial's positing and it's United and Mourinho stealing time from young talents to give them to old players ( and Sanchez is only older than Mahrez by 2 years btw).

You either consider both ambition by clubs to achieve success by sigining top players even if they have good ones, or consider both poor management of replacing players already playing well with additions that you don't need.

But considering City as great management and United's as Mourinho destroying young talents is ridiculous and shows exactly where everyone is.

I for myself have zero issues with them strengthning their squads with more big players even if it means more and tougher competition for the already playing well players, but at the same time I also thought the same when Sanchez started playing on the left that it's not a problem if a 22 years old kid has tougher competition from a top player and that we are only aiming to succeed by buying best players around, not our biggest aim to develop this and this, so my situation is the same.

The hilarious thing is the ones who are contradicting themselves for Pep sake though.
What’s also funny is that I can guarantee you won’t get any sad bastard City fans getting their panties in a bunch about “Silva/Sterling FC”. Oh no, wait. That’s not funny. That’s depressing.

Hawks2008

Shame we weren't in for him, there are very few (if any) other attainable RW players on the market this window.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City

Good point you raise about Sterling by the way, which hasn’t been mentioned here. He’s only got 2 years left on his deal now and hasn’t agreed to a new one yet. By signing Mahrez the club have removed some of his leverage in negotiation, and mitigated the risk of him leaving or having to be sold. There’s other factors at play here other than simply strengthening the squad.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Starting Sterling, renowned for his inability to convert chances, over Jesus and Aguero as a striker :houllier:

Sterling will drop to the bench where he belongs. His stats were alright last year but Mahrez will now likewise benefit from playing with De Bruyne and Silva.
Sterling's movement is better than that of Aguero or Jesus a quality Pep likes, he's never been convinced by Aguero

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Mahrez and Sane will start the season in the first XI as Sterling will be still on the beach in August. Thus Sterling might have quite a task ahead of him if Mahrez hits the ground running.
So will Silva. That’s what it means to have strength in depth. City will have to hope that their players are made of sterner stuff than Anthony Martial.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good point you raise about Sterling by the way, which hasn’t been mentioned here. He’s only got 2 years left on his deal now and hasn’t agreed to a new one yet. By signing Mahrez the club have removed some of his leverage in negotiation, and mitigated the risk of him leaving or having to be sold. There’s other factors at play here other than simply strengthening the squad.
Signing Mahrez will not remove any leverage, he will ask for the money, either he will get it or he will be gone. They have mitigated the risk though as they have good option in case they have to sell Sterling.

Treble

They will use very different formations depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition.

A more attacking formation:

----------KDB (Gundogan)------Fernandinho/Jorginho
Mahrez----------Sterling (Silva, Bernardo)--------Sane
-----------Jesus (Aguero)

I expect Silva to play less this season.

Treble

So will Silva. That’s what it means to have strength in depth. City will have to hope that their players are made of sterner stuff than Anthony Martial.
Definitely going to be a problem to keep them happy.

Trizy

Good luck to Guardiola trying to keep all those attacking players happy. I’d be amazed if at least two of them won’t be linked with a move away come January.

Even Sir Alex who was pretty good at keeping four strikers happy would struggle with keeping all of them happy.
I'd rather have the option to bring on an unhappy quality player than an unhappy Fellaini.

City are doing everything right in the transfer market. Should it be allowed? No as they're a championship team with endless third party money but there's nothing we can do about it.

Sylar

Sterling wont start the season cos he will still be celebrating a world cup win...

Anyway, its a good signing. Hes prem proven and I really think he would have been great for United on the right side.
I can see him getting 20+ goals and assists in that team.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think it will be
Sane Sterling Mahrez
Silva Fernandinho KDB

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Hope so, I think they would be poorer than last season if that is how they line up. Aguero is still huge for them IMO.

Renegade

Signing Mahrez will not remove any leverage, he will ask for the money, either he will get it or he will be gone. They have mitigated the risk though as they have good option in case they have to sell Sterling.
I can’t see Sterling getting “city wages” at any other club. So I’m sure he’ll sign.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Is that whe he ended up scoring more league goals than all other City players bar Aguero ? He has 18 goals and 11 assists in the league alone.

Not to mention even if we go by that your logic as true, everything you said pretty much describes us going to sign one of the best players in the league while we have 2 good young talents, which odd enough people consider this as destryoing both their career and stealing time from them while for City it's aiming to win CL.
Sterling had the other players creating a shitload of chances for him, that is why his output was so high. He still managed to fluff many of them. Of course he would score more than De Bruyne and Silva, scoring is not their game. Sane also had a better season, he assisted more and was voted YPotY. I also think it is obvious Sane has a higher ceiling.

Everyone knows City doesn‘t care about youth anyway. It is just about winning for them. And replacing Sterling with Mahrez is a great move to get there. Utd replaced Martial with Sanchez, I don‘t think the latter is the better player anymore, let alone in the future.

Dinghy

Did replacing Martial (and Rashford) with Sanchez make us any better last season? If you sign a new player and he performs worse than the two "youngsters" you've already got playing in that position, yet still keep playing him every week, then yes, that's poor management.