Robert Pires brought diving into the English game

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
According to Danny Mills.

‘I spent many years playing against him as a right-back, for Leeds United and Manchester City, and we had what might be called a fractious relationship.

‘I will always remember him as the player who, in my view, really brought diving into the English game; his habit of throwing himself to the ground without any provocation always infuriated me.’

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/16/arsen...gues-dive-culture-claims-danny-mills-5686484/

Well, did he?

rpitchfo

no, people were clipping their own heels shortly after the first football was kicked.

bubbles_

You usually get this spiel from old pros who claim their generation all played by the rules but diving was around in England long before the Premier League started

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Robert Pires - Arsenal 2000 to 2006

Michael Owen - 1998

I'm not being thick right? Pires joined Arsenal in 2000 and Owen dived in 98?

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Bloody foreigns. Can't trust them. They killed the passion and hard men era too, don't you know? :rolleyes:

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Ah, those pesky foreigners. Too bad they can't play football the right way, like the great Danny Mills.

Varun

Staff
Let's start a petition to recognise him as the first diver in English football and find out what's what.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Klinsmann was the one who made it popular, but I remember seeing footage of a little blonde fella in a sky blue shirt from the 70s doing some outrageous dives in the penalty box.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
That's the same diving-related hubris that Gerrard comes out with. Total bollocks of course.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Danny boy has never really recovered from the regular roasting he used to get from Thierry, Bobby and co.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Was he here pre-Klinnsmann?
Klinsmann was the one who made it popular, but I remember seeing footage of a little blonde fella in a sky blue shirt from the 70s doing some outrageous dives in the penalty box.
Klinsmann wasn't a serial diver in England. He had a bad reputation for it when he arrived which is why he broke the ice in his first press conference by asking where the nearest diving school was and did the famous diving celebration after his first goal in England.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
David Ginola was a master of clipping his own heels. Always the fecking French.

RORY65

Danny Mills in being a crude, Little Englander shock. I seem to remember hearing a story that the Germans were really unhappy with Denis Law's repeated diving in a friendly in the 60s. Add to that the likes of Lee and Dalglish who are famous for it. It still seems mad that Ronaldinho got sent off for a bad tackle on Danny Mills in a World Cup quarter final.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Talent? The man was a cnut. Used to be known as Lee Won Pen by the press and a bigger cheat never played the game in those days.

That he did.

Mind you, I remember Best diving a time or two as well, usually as a message to the ref after half a dozen uncalled fouls.

A few years later Rodney Marsh used to dive and laugh about it after the match. I don't even think he bothered to pretend that he got caught by the trailling foot, or was pushed off-balance or whatever. He seemed to think it was all part of the game. I don't even remember him being called on it.