Roberto De Zerbi

Joel Miller

When you look at what that Brighton squad is worth in transfer fees and the football that they produce, it’s highly impressive.

I think it’s safe to say it won’t be long before De Zerbi is offered one of the big jobs. Maybe it will indeed be United because after a positive start, this is all starting to look fairly ominous for Ten Haag.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I mentioned them because they were doing none of the things you mentioned or the things I mentioned while Brighton passed their way through the length of the pitch. Not a single player pressing, tracking a runner, blocking a passing lane etc.

I hear what you're saying and you know your team better than me.

If the team is set up to sit back and allow possession then a staple of that kinda set up is cutting passing lanes and tracking runners. You can't park the bus essentially but still be extremely easy to pass around and through for simple goals. Defeats the entire purpose of setting up in that way.
I agree, but why are you expecting the 2 CFs (Rashford and Hojlund) to track the runners from midfield into our defensive box.
They were however blocking the passing lanes into the 2 Brighton midfielders at the start of the attacks which was their job.

As for Fernandes he was also actually doing his job.

I think you are just attributing the blame of not tracking runners correctly and not aggressively closing down the ball on the flanks to the wrong players entierly

Oldyella

When you look at what that Brighton squad is worth in transfer fees and the football that they produce, it’s highly impressive.

I think it’s safe to say it won’t be long before De Zerbi is offered one of the big jobs. Maybe it will indeed be United because after a positive start, this is all starting to look fairly ominous for Ten Haag.
He would walk into the same cluster feck that ETH is having to deal with though. We are rotten from the top down. While that doesn't change, anyone we appoint will struggle.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

De Zerbi is doing excellent for Brighton so far as a head coach, however without a good club structure he probably will struggle in United as well. ETH was excellent for Ajax just not too long ago.

Romez

Worst thing is it's so blatantly obvious he'll replace Pep whenever he goes.

Sign of a club that's actually run properly.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Worst thing is it's so blatantly obvious he'll replace Pep whenever he goes.

Sign of a club that's actually run properly.
It's a bit of an underwhelming replacement.

Pep had won a dozen trophies and largely influenced the way football is played at the highest level.

I hope they go for him and he turns out to be the Italian Moyes.

El Zoido

De Zerbi is doing excellent for Brighton so far as a head coach, however without a good club structure he probably will struggle in United as well. ETH was excellent for Ajax just not too long ago.
ETH will be excellent after us, too.

Joel Miller

You’re right, but there’s a bit of a pattern with managers who do well at Ibrox not being able to recreate the success elsewhere. I don’t think the sides current shortcomings are simple an issue with structure, I really think ETH is culpable too.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Here's my hot take as well...our recruitment's as good as Brighton's whenever our tight feck American owners release any cash.

Guehi - paid £18m, worth ~£60m+
Andersen - paid £14m, worth ~£40-50m
Doucoure - paid £18.7m, worth ~£60m+
Eze - paid £16m, worth ~ £60m+
Olise - paid £8m, worth £60-70m+

Where we differ is that Bloom invests in replacements, Cucurella to Estupinan is a case in point. We stuck Joel Ward back in the side after selling AWB for £50m where he still remains today, backed up by Nathaniel Clyne who we signed on a free transfer.

Bloom is the difference between the two clubs, 100%. We also have a chairman who supports the football club which is great, but unfortunately our one doesn't have a pot to piss in (comparatively!) and has to rely on American venture capitalists for money.
Hundred percent agree mate.

Palace are just as well equipped and I feel should you sell a player and have the money to spend like Brighton do, then you would no doubt be fighting in the top half rather than floating around the middle.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Hundred percent agree mate.

Palace are just as well equipped and I feel should you sell a player and have the money to spend like Brighton do, then you would no doubt be fighting in the top half rather than floating around the middle.
With the big assumption that other clubs can recruit as well as Brighton and replace star players with unknown on the cheap. I know Arsenal couldn't.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
With the big assumption that other clubs can recruit as well as Brighton and replace star players with unknown on the cheap. I know Arsenal couldn't.
On the cheap is stretching it a bit, Joao Pedro was £30m, Baleba was £23m etc. I’d back our DoF to spend that kind of money well to be honest.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Indeed but Palace have been in the Prem for 4 seasons more than Brighton and have never finished higher than 10th during that 11 year tenure.

Brighton finished 9th under Potter and then 6th last season and look on track to finishing top 8 again.

I think Palace get plaudits for being a solid mid table side which they are. Brighton though look like they actually have ambition and the talent to be more than that which they are and have showcased within the past three seasons.

That's my point really though mate. Brighton are given plaudits because their system is the best in the league outside of City. They're set up to sell, reinvest and go again because they know it will work. Palace don't and as such either hold onto players too long like Zaha or do what you did with AWB and not reinvest it.

Brighton ultimately don't care who they lose because they know they'll replace them, they just want to get a fair fee for the talent when they do.

Palace seem to be a mix of both stingy and a bit scared of losing talent which is probably linked.

There is also the case that you replaced Hodgson with Vieria only to be replaced with...Hodgson. Brighton didn't want to lose Potter but got the fee they wanted and had identified De Zerbi already as the man for the job before he had even left. You just don't have the successive planning that Brighton do, but then again barely anyone in the league does.
Since Brighton have been in the Premiership they have spent circa €495m,

In that same time Place have spent circa €265m.

Brighton have spent nearly double the amount then Palace in a short space of time.
It's not a fairytale that's happening, it's wise reinvestment, they have spent a huge amount of money to get to where they are.
Palace haven't. They could for sure, they could sell an asset in the hope that they could progress up the league, but that's a gamble as it doesn't always pay off, it certainly hasn't with Brighton all the time.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Since Brighton have been in the Premiership they have spent circa €495m,

In that same time Place have spent circa €265m.

Brighton have spent nearly double the amount then Palace in a short space of time.
It's not a fairytale that's happening, it's wise reinvestment, they have spent a huge amount of money to get to where they are.
Palace haven't. They could for sure, they could sell an asset in the hope that they could progress up the league, but that's a gamble as it doesn't always pay off, it certainly hasn't with Brighton all the time.
I'm not saying it's a fairytale. I'm saying that they have a much better structure, recruitment process and succession plan compared to most clubs in the league and certainly more so than Palace. Yes, they've spent a bit initially to achieve that, but it has now enabled them to be fairly sustainable and that model means that the signings that don't work out don't impact the overall structure as much as it does to someone like United or Everton.

But, this is off-topic.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He’s a decent manager but look at potter at Brighton and then look at potter at Chelsea. A lot of it comes down to structure.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I'm not saying it's a fairytale. I'm saying that they have a much better structure, recruitment process and succession plan compared to most clubs in the league and certainly more so than Palace. Yes, they've spent a bit initially to achieve that, but it has now enabled them to be fairly sustainable and that model means that the signings that don't work out don't impact the overall structure as much as it does to someone like United or Everton.

But, this is off-topic.
They sure do but then most clubs have to find a way to finance infrastructure improvements whilst balancing the playing budget, Bloom gave them a Cat 1 academy and a brand new stadium whilst still investing in players. We’re not doing it that way; the AWB money went towards a Cat 1 Academy which is ultimately why Joel Ward and Nat Clyne are still our right backs. I actually think the building blocks are there for us to do something similar to them over the next few years, it’ll just take us longer to do without the benefactor. Am expecting a few big departures in the summer so maybe that’s the start of the next phase for us.

Anyway, have side-tracked this thread enough.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Brighton won't last, they're a modern day Southampton.

When they're struggling to recruit like they have been (and they will) they'll slide back down the table.
Southampton were a modern day Southampton…

Don’t know what your point is really. Brighton are the best team to watch in the league. Southampton never were.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I would hire their head of recruitment or chief scout before even looking at their coach. Two years ago, Potter was the flavor of the month, and now it's the man who replaced him. Not saying it's impossible (Klopp/Tuchel) but there should be caution.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I would hire their head of recruitment or chief scout before even looking at their coach. Two years ago, Potter was the flavor of the month, and now it's the man who replaced him. Not saying it's impossible (Klopp/Tuchel) but there should be caution.
I believe Newcastle did that already.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Good analysis by Carragher tonight regarding top in game management by De Zerbi.

GlasgowCeltic

Agreed just wish it was delivered in a less smug and overtly pisstaking way. Neville/Keane etc. remain impartial and professional. Surprised Sky allow it at risk of alienating the biggest fan base in the country.
Carraghers their best pundit, what they should’ve done is bring back Souness to admit his opinion taken on de Zerbi without knowing anything about his was utter shite

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Brighton won't last, they're a modern day Southampton.

When they're struggling to recruit like they have been (and they will) they'll slide back down the table.
In the meantime we’re struggling to win games… I’d rather be them right now than us.

Abraxas

de Zerbi is good but it's not clear the extent to which it is his ability or whether it's the club operations. I mean, essentially both are required to make a club like Brighton this proficient, but until you can start to seperate the two and see him in different scenarios it's hard to tell for sure because they seem to get every transfer right and have a great feel at the club, good fan engagement, expectation is realistic and manageable. Everything is managed well compared to us where various operations are in a state of shambles with a real disenfranchisement among fans.

Obviously he has to be some baseline of being very good, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's the next elite coach that will win loads. At this stage he's mainly a very promising manager that will eventually go elsewhere and that will be informative.

Blood Mage

Very hard to tell whether he's a genius or it's just Brighton's whole football project that's genius and he's just a cog in the machine. I personally wouldn't take a chance on him seeing as our current highly rated hipster coach is struggling. If Ten Hag needs to be replaced I'd prefer a more experienced coach like Enrique.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Here's my hot take as well...our recruitment's as good as Brighton's whenever our tight feck American owners release any cash.

Guehi - paid £18m, worth ~£60m+
Andersen - paid £14m, worth ~£40-50m
Doucoure - paid £18.7m, worth ~£60m+
Eze - paid £16m, worth ~ £60m+
Olise - paid £8m, worth £60-70m+

Where we differ is that Bloom invests in replacements, Cucurella to Estupinan is a case in point. We stuck Joel Ward back in the side after selling AWB for £50m where he still remains today, backed up by Nathaniel Clyne who we signed on a free transfer.

Bloom is the difference between the two clubs, 100%. We also have a chairman who supports the football club which is great, but unfortunately our one doesn't have a pot to piss in (comparatively!) and has to rely on American venture capitalists for money.
While I agree with your point on the whole, your recruitment team is allergic to decent strikers. Struggle to think of a good one since Andy Johnson.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Very hard to tell whether he's a genius or it's just Brighton's whole football project that's genius and he's just a cog in the machine. I personally wouldn't take a chance on him seeing as our current highly rated hipster coach is struggling. If Ten Hag needs to be replaced I'd prefer a more experienced coach like Enrique.
Picking Enrique is….certainly a choice.

Eddy_JukeZ

Rather take a punt on De Zerbi than Enrique 1000%.

Ludens the Red

He’s a decent manager but look at potter at Brighton and then look at potter at Chelsea. A lot of it comes down to structure.
de Zerbi is good but it's not clear the extent to which it is his ability or whether it's the club operations. I mean, essentially both are required to make a club like Brighton this proficient, but until you can start to seperate the two and see him in different scenarios it's hard to tell for sure because they seem to get every transfer right and have a great feel at the club, good fan engagement, expectation is realistic and manageable. Everything is managed well compared to us where various operations are in a state of shambles with a real disenfranchisement among fans.

Obviously he has to be some baseline of being very good, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's the next elite coach that will win loads. At this stage he's mainly a very promising manager that will eventually go elsewhere and that will be informative.
Seeing a lot of this on here and maybe it’s a defence mechanism for United fans because we want to believe that no top manager here can succeed with the glazers but this downplaying of De Zerbis impact is startling.
Brightons three league positions before De Zerbi - 15th/16th/9th. Goals scored 39/40/42.

De Zerbi first season 6th and 72 goals scored.
This myth that Brighton have been like this for years is a nonsense. They were never this good under Potter. He’s moved them away from a 532 to a 4231. They control games a lot more and are a lot more incisive in the final third. They play a lot less square balls under De Zerbi and take far more risks. They’ve improved significantly going forward and this was done without De Zerbi even signing a forward.
Between 2018 and 2021, Brighton were winning 9 games a season. They won 18 last season.

I’m sure @The Boy can elaborate further.
Its just insane though that Ten Hag was basically dubbed a miracle worker for finishing 3rd and winning a league cup last year when the same United team had finished 2nd/3rd two years earlier and haven’t been outside the top 6 in a decade. De Zerbi takes relegation flurters into the Top 6 in one season and gets them 30 more goals in the process and it’s downplayed because apparently Brighton have always been like this and potter was amazing. Da feck?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I don't think he'll do well at the current United and I was a big fan of Potter before be flopped at Chelsea.

Best case scenario for De Zerbi fans that want him at OT is he proves his European credentials in this season, Qatar come in, sack EtH for no CL next season and we hire him and give him and a new (real) DoF cash to build a proper team.

Bit of a pipe dream though.

TheRedHearted

Probably. I'm also thinking about the moronic oppo fans saying blaming the Glazers is an excuse.

I'd happily take them.
You and I both.
Things have seemed to improve but the fact we spent 100 million on Antony instead of pulling someone elsewhere or saying “No, it’s gonna be Amad or pellistri, or here’s a 45 million option from elsewhere) is weird.

don’t get me wrong, Di Zarbi would struggle in this system too. We have gotten better to an extent, but any manager would have failed with our set up. The only two are maybe klopp or pep cause they know how to mold players (to an extent) but let’s be honest, they had their most success with multiple signings.

we can hope the new regime would have made a difference,but the fact anyone approved 100 for Antony is just odd, it’s like they wanted to prove to us they backed him but by doing a poor deal.

Tyrion

You and I both.
Things have seemed to improve but the fact we spent 100 million on Antony instead of pulling someone elsewhere or saying “No, it’s gonna be Amad or pellistri, or here’s a 45 million option from elsewhere) is weird.

don’t get me wrong, Di Zarbi would struggle in this system too. We have gotten better to an extent, but any manager would have failed with our set up. The only two are maybe klopp or pep cause they know how to mold players (to an extent) but let’s be honest, they had their most success with multiple signings.

we can hope the new regime would have made a difference,but the fact anyone approved 100 for Antony is just odd, it’s like they wanted to prove to us they backed him but by doing a poor deal.
Agreed. People are praising De Zerbi now but many also praised Potter and he wasn't able to turn Chelsea into a well run club either. Brighton however just carried on like before. There's an obsession with the manager in English football and I think it ignores how much power DOFs and their equivalents have.

Sometimes I honestly think they try to get deals done for short term boosts to twitter metrics. Like "if we sign this guy, our Instagram engagement will go through the roof".