Robin van Persie | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
So will he have a Rooney or Berba start to his United career?
Didnt Berba apply an assist in his first game? Against Liverpool for Tevez? fecking Babel scored the winner in that one if memory serves.

If you meant start as in his first (10 games or so), then apologies :D

mufcwarm92

Only time I remember us shuffling numbers around before selling players was when we gave Hargreaves 4 when Heinze was still about. Doubt we'll see that again given Heinze badly disrespected the club and Berba was been class throughout. I reckon RVP will initially be given 20 and possibly change to 9 once Berba inevitably moves on.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
My bet would be #9, considering fergie didnt mention berbatov when speaking about the strikeforce at his disposal.
As long as Berbatov is here, Fergie isn't gonna be disrespectful and remove his shirt number. He was be #20, and when Fabio returns he'll switch to #9

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Didnt Berba apply an assist in his first game? Against Liverpool for Tevez? fecking Babel scored the winner in that one if memory serves.

Giggs tried to shepherd that ball out of play. WHY GIGGSY, WHY?!

Jinn

You can't have too much quality. I think RVP is a good fit to UTD's attack, however, i hope this does not hinder playing time for Kagawa.
I think Kagawa will be more important to UTD than RVP.

Lynk

We're no longer the Jewish kid at Christmas :drool:

Crustanoid

Yeah my memory is that whilst Rooney started with an instant bang, Berba (assists aside) took a few games to start firing

MUFCgal

Out of everyone on here, I do believe you are the most excited :)
I was of the mind-frame that if he comes, he comes and if he doesnt, he doesn't. We would have gotten on with things as always. Is the striker position top of our priority list? No it isn't.

But seeing as he's here now, let the excitement roll :D

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Yeah my memory is that whilst Rooney started with an instant bang, Berba (assists aside) took a few games to start firing
He got a brace in the CL vs Aalborg in his fourth outing if memory serves, then got a league goal in the following match vs WBA, and scored another CL brace vs Celtic.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
And then continued to misfire for the rest of his United career!

RVP is totally different kettle of fish to Berbatov. The Berbs was the true definition of a luxury player, he was as much style as substance. RVP is a devastating player; you could never describe Berbatov in that way.

1999united2008

just realised something else about Van Persie...CORNERS, he is a GREAT corner taker...something we have lacked since Ronaldo left...

Lynk

just realised something else about Van Persie...CORNERS, he is a GREAT corner taker...something we have lacked since Ronaldo left...
Ronaldo never took corners in his later years, and was never a good taker in his early years.

1999united2008

Ronaldo never took corners in his later years, and was never a good taker in his early years.
could have sworn he did for some reason :/ ah well, point is we have needed a good corner taker for a while now, last few seasons we tried several and all were pretty inconsistent.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
As Top pointed out, the reason our corners have been so poor since Ronaldo left is as much down to the absence of Ronaldo as a target in the box as it is down to poor delivery.

That said, our corners generally have been poor and Van Persie delivers a cracking dead-ball.

Interval

Level
As Top pointed out, the reason our corners have been so poor since Ronaldo left is as much down to the absence of Ronaldo as a target in the box as it is down to poor delivery.

That said, our corners generally have been poor and Van Persie delivers a cracking dead-ball.
We've missed Vidic too. Him and Ronaldo were monsters in the air.

Lynk

could have sworn he did for some reason :/ ah well, point is we have needed a good corner taker for a while now, last few seasons we tried several and all were pretty inconsistent.
Corners are only good as long as you have someone to put them in. Vidic is our only threat really.

EDIT: Didn't we score the most corners in the league last year or am I waaay wrong?

marjen

Are you guys seriously claiming that the most exciting thing about Robin van absolute fecking Persie signing, is the fact that he as opposed to other people paid to be good at football, can hit an area of 256 square metres with a ball laying perfectly still?

Weirdos.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Fergie said he hopes to have him in the team for monday, so lets hope the deal can be concluded before midday.

1999united2008

Are you guys seriously claiming that the most exciting thing about Robin van absolute fecking Persie signing, is the fact that he as opposed to other people paid to be good at football, can hit an area of 256 square metres with a ball laying perfectly still?

Weirdos.
no, but it's an extra skill he can add to our team :)

Van Persie's corners and Vidic back in the middle to head them in...:drool:

Stretch

Weirdos.
No, think they just saying it's a bonus that he can deliver deadball situations so well.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Really excited about this signing. He would really give us a different dimension up top with his quick link up play. I'm expecting cleverly, welbeck, nani, kagawa and him to add to a quick passing style that we would most likely be playing.

acrebo

The only real comparison with Berbs is that they are/were both established, 'older' players when we signed them and coule be considered a luxury in the sense that we could have continued to operate without them.

RvP is a whole different beast to Berbs. As said, he really is an explosive player who can turn a match on its head in an instant. He combines all the best bits of Berbatov in having excellent control and a trick up his sleeve whilst also being quite possibly the best positional forward in the game, a good turn of pace and a great shot.

It does feel too good to be true at the moment... he can't be as good as he was for Arsenal for us, can he?

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Robin van Persie has arrived at Manchester United's training ground to sign his new £12million-a-year contract.

The Dutch international underwent a medical in Manchester on Thursday night before spending the night in a Cheshire hotel.

It is understood that the 29-year-old was then taken to United's training ground at 9am to meet his new team-mates and sign the astonishing £250,000-a-week deal that will give him parity at the club with Wayne Rooney.

Van Persie is expected to train with United on Saturday and go straight in to the team for the season's opener at Everton on Monday.
Daily Mail

marjen

The only real comparison with Berbs is that they are/were both established, 'older' players when we signed them and coule be considered a luxury in the sense that we could have continued to operate without them.

RvP is a whole different beast to Berbs. As said, he really is an explosive player who can turn a match on its head in an instant. He combines all the best bits of Berbatov in having excellent control and a trick up his sleeve whilst also being quite possibly the best positional forward in the game, a good turn of pace and a great shot.

It does feel too good to be true at the moment... he can't be as good as he was for Arsenal for us, can he?
Whereas Berbatov would hold the ball up, take some touches and lay it off for a teammate, never losing the ball - RvP is prone to just take it down, turn, go past a defender and smack it in all on his own. Or he could play a quick give-and-go. Or go for a long range effort after a quick twist.

He'll be a hell of a lot more difficult to defend against, that's for sure.

I feel sad for Berbatov though, such an elegant player.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
De Gea

Rafael-----------Rio----------Vidic----------Evra

Carrick-----------Kagawa

Valencia--------Rooney---------Nani

RVP

Lindegaard

Jones----------Smalling---------Evans---------Brady

Anderson-------------Scholes/Cleverley

Young----------Welbeck-----------Giggs

Hernandez​

acrebo

Nice to see the Daily Fail can't even get their maths right. Surely £12m a year equates to £230k a week, whereas £250k a week is £13m.

Whereas Berbatov would hold the ball up, take some touches and lay it off for a teammate, never losing the ball - RvP is prone to just take it down, turn, go past a defender and smack it in all on his own. Or he could play a quick give-and-go. Or go for a long range effort after a quick twist.

He'll be a hell of a lot more difficult to defend against, that's for sure.

I feel sad for Berbatov though, such an elegant player.
I agree on both fronts. He's much trickier and has an intuition when it comes to defenders. However, he also has a very impressive assists record, so certainly knows how to link play.

It'll be a real shame to lose Berbs, if and when we do. I've always given him the benefit of the doubt, if only for those moments of magic (the touchline flick, for example).

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Roll on Monday night :drool: I still can't actually imagine seeing him in our kit yet, which just excites me even further. Astonishing to think that the player who scored this goal only last season will be with us:

Unbelieveable technique - and the scary thing is, he's scored a few of those as well :wenger: Off topic, but it really was a fantastic assist from Song.

Edit: The corners/freekicks will most definetly be a bonus. Vidic and Smalling are usually pretty good at attacking them in the box, so I definetly expect them to nod in a few this season.

MUFCgal

De Gea

Rafael-----------Rio----------Vidic----------Evra

Carrick-----------Kagawa

Valencia--------Rooney---------Nani

RVP

Lindegaard

Jones----------Smalling---------Evans---------Brady

Anderson-------------Scholes/Cleverley

Young----------Welbeck-----------Giggs

Hernandez​
I like it a lot :drool:

First team should be for league & CL matches.

Second team should be for League Cup & early FA Cup matches (if we progress further and play bigger teams, then draft in first team players).

Status
Not open for further replies.