Robin Van Persie - Retiring

Njord

Just like with Zlatan, the only problem was that he didn't join us earlier.

Yagami

Good post resistant
A bit off topic, but it's a shame Rooney's prime came after Ronaldo and Tevez left, and ended before Robin came.

It would've amazing to see a prime Rooney behind 12/13 Robin.

goin4glory

RVP should be getting the tribute video not that scrub Herrera. Turned down more money at City and brought us a title. Legend.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
As one RvP retires today, hopefully his reincarnation begins at Old Trafford on the same day. :D

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Fecking hell, that volley against Villa was amazing but Rooney also deserves credit for that ridicilously accurate long-range pass.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
What a player Van Persie's been. Best of luck to him in his retirement. 2012-13 might be our last title for a long, long while. I'll never forget who was mainly responsible for delivering it to us.

DRM

wand of a left foot. The right wasnt half bad either!!

United22

He is the last truly consistent, outfield world class player we've had. I've forgotten what it fields like to have a player like that on our team, every time he touched the ball in the 12/13 season, you just knew magic was going to happen

United22

I’d say so. That season, he was one of the best we’ve ever had. It’s a shame he declined quicker than any player I can think of!
He wasn't actually that bad in the Moyes season given how bad the whole team was

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
First half of his first season was incredible. He won us so many games with class goals. Not tap ins.

He Carrick and Rafael won us that title. We have nowhere near that quality anymore.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
He wasn't actually that bad in the Moyes season given how bad the whole team was
That’s true, but he still looked noticeably less sharp. Loved his style of play even when he wasn’t as good though.

deafepl

The next RVP (Mason Greenwood) gets his first senior debut start on the same day RVP retired. :drool::drool:

redshaw

Magical player who gave us great memories and a super season that won't be forgotten.

Thanks for so much Robin.

RC89

Fanboying here and being a bit simple most likely. But couldn't we bring him in as a striking coach or something similar in capacity? So much technique. All of what he did was technique based. Pace you're either born with or not (to a large extent) but he was such a brilliant technical forward.

Nep77

He probably won us our last title for a while, When he left after 3 season there was question where will his standing among the United greats and will he be considered a legend or not. Longer we go without a title, one thing for sure his legend will continue to grow. Our true last absolute World Class outfield player, we haven't had one since.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
As one RvP retires today, hopefully his reincarnation begins at Old Trafford on the same day. :D
Hope so.

Happy for him that he got to experience winning the Premier League. Was a great move for him.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
One of my favourite players ever. That season was incredible, and he was still very good afterwards. Magical.

All the best in your retirement RvP, you deserve it.

Eddy_JukeZ

His season will never be forgotten.

He was a monster that season.

All the best to RVP in his future endeavors.

SambaBoy

One of the best seasons I've seen from a United player. Not far behind Ronaldo's 42 goals season where he was deciding games on a weekly basis. Our defence was terrible at the start of the season, we kept going behind in games but RvP would drag us back into it.

Think he lost motivation somewhat after with SAF leaving. He was the main reason he joined us and it seemed he loved playing under him. It must be hard to go from winning the title under SAF to playing under Moyes. Still produced moments of magic but the consistency was not there and he was on the decline after that.

Canagel

Congratulations on amazing career. One of the most technically gifted players of his generation.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Just pure class as a footballer. No more to be said really.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Those two seasons 11/12 and 12/13 are up there with the best consecutive seasons I've seen from a PL player. He was amazing in his peak, shame injuries ruined his early career.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I thought it was weird that Feyenoord gave him such a send off. "Legends never die" or what did the banner say? He spent less than 5 seasons at the club and didn't really leave on good terms after his first stint.

Same goes for Kuyt last season.

Firstouch20

I thought it was weird that Feyenoord gave him such a send off. "Legends never die" or what did the banner say? He spent less than 5 seasons at the club and didn't really leave on good terms after his first stint.

Same goes for Kuyt last season.
To be fair he played a major role in Feyenoords UEFA cup win in 2002. I think alot of it also comes down to the fact that Feyenoord are not used to producing superstars like Ajax are for example and they saw him as their own superstar talent who represented Rotterdam around the the world and also in the Dutch national team. He's arguably the best talent they have ever produced so they're proud of him.

I think they also appreciated that he decided to finish his career with them instead of doing what Sneijder did and go to a club in Qatar or the MLS for one last pay day. His comeback was also very successful as he was one of the best performers in the eredivsie in the last 2 year's to the extent that many questioned his decision to retire when he was clearly more than good enough for the Dutch league ( 17 goals in 25 apps)

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
What a player he was, he had his injury problems but he should have left Arsenal much sooner and won a lot more than he did.

Scorer of two of the best goals ive ever seen:

that netherlands goal fooled me into thinking LVG would play great attacking football at United!

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
A bit off topic, but it's a shame Rooney's prime came after Ronaldo and Tevez left, and ended before Robin came.

It would've amazing to see a prime Rooney behind 12/13 Robin.
Rooney prime was always there but he sacrificed himself for Tevez and Ronaldo. Actually, he didn't really sacrifice much as Rooney loved that role of being a bulldog working around and creating spaces/chances for the other two. Not to say they (tevez/ronnie) weren't top drawer on their own but SAF saw in Rooney an attacker that plays for the team.

Then when the other two left, Rooney had to take the lead and boy was he red hot with those goals. I really think that injury he suffered during the season Bayern knocked us out changed him a little.