Robin van Persie

Status
Not open for further replies.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I demand a Bible chapter on the intricacies of grammar, spelling and puntuation.

Surely more fun than sitting around waiting for news on this!

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
I demand a Bible chapter on the intricacies of grammar, spelling and puntuation.

Surely more fun than sitting around waiting for news on this!
Easily the most interesting thing about this thread (to me anyway...) is how often people use the construction [will + verb] to describe things they envision Van Persie doing at United. For example:

Personally I think RvP will improve us more than Baines.
I'm surprise they don't use would, or another modal like might or could. It seems to have taken at least one other poster aback too:

And so i presume everyone is presuming RvP will join United? You couldn't fault for me saying that looking at the way the past few pages have been talking.
I can't work out whether they're foreign, or whether it's symptomatic of the sheer level of hope in the transfer forum.

antohan

I can't work out whether they're foreign, or whether it's symptomatic of the sheer level of hope in the transfer forum.
Probably the latter. I'm foreign, but was taken aback after posting "Welbeck will learn a lot playing with [Ronney and RvP]".

Thought about editing it, but couldn't be bothered.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Not sure if it's been posted, too many pages today but a good interview with Van Gaal on SSN, where he talks about VP coming to him to talk about staying/going.

'I had the conversation and it was unbelievable. A great and high level, not only at a human side, but also in the football vision. It was one of the best meetings I've had with an individual player.'

'I think the player always has to decide for himself. When he wants, he can ask me for advice, but then I'll speak to him, not to you.'

A bit that interested me at the bottom was 'Asked whether it was important that the forward decided his future sooner rather than later, the former Barcelona boss added: 'Yes, of course. But it's for the English clubs, and Arsenal of course, to decide.'

So are there 2 or more PL clubs seriously in for him after all? Or a nothing statement? ClubS AND Arsenal. Has he slipped by making out that VP talked to him about more than just United being interested? I thought City were out of it.

Good to see he's giving it so much thought though, it can hardly be just for money reasons if he's deliberating so much. Shows a good attitude and a thirst for success rather than just the biggest paycheck. Otherwise he'd be gone by now.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Probably the latter. I'm foreign, but was taken aback after posting "Welbeck will learn a lot playing with [Ronney and RvP]".

Thought about editing it, but couldn't be bothered.
:lol: fair enough

It's not actually incorrect, I don't think. We don't have a future tense in English - the will construction is modal, like would, could etc., and often signifies a strong prediction. So I guess it's apt in a situation where you really, really think something's going to happen.

Of course, that can easily be a situation where you end up really, really disappointed.

antohan

:lol: fair enough

It's not actually incorrect, I don't think. We don't have a future tense in English - the will construction is modal, like would, could etc., and often signifies a strong prediction. So I guess it's apt in a situation where you really, really think something's going to happen.

Of course, that can easily be a situation where you end up really, really disappointed.
Indeed, I'm sure storey and Gillespie would have a field day with us if this doesn't happen. They may even enjoy that more than RvP staying at Arsenal :lol:

kps88

Wow. He must have really blown Van Gaal's mind in that meeting. I imagine he's going to resign any day now and devote his life to spiritual awareness.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Indeed, I'm sure storey and Gillespie would have a field day with us if this doesn't happen. They may even enjoy that more than RvP staying at Arsenal :lol:
Nearest thing to a trophy for them as the Emirates cup was cancelled.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
We would have the two best forwards in the premier league if we signed RVP.

It is unreal.

The Berbatov deal was big but this deal is a bit bigger. Will probably be regarded as our best ever attacking force, and yes I include players like Yorke, Solskjaer, Cole and Sheringham in that equation!

acrebo

It appears that he's only interested in joining United and therefore Fergie will try to pay the minimum he can get away with.

Wenger wants the maximum he can squeeze out of the deal. Neither side is in any great rush as it stands.

All part of the game.
Exactly, it beggars belief that people actually believe the best way to conduct a transfer negotiation is to instantly agree to whatever the asking might be.

Arsenal's 'official' asking price will be set higher than what they truly expect to receive and our offers will be less than what we are truly happy to pay. It's not rocket science, it's basic salesmanship.

Now, if we pull out of negotiations because we are only willing to go to, say, £18m when Arsenal want £20m then that would be insane. I suspect the offer and asking price are further apart than that though.

pepsi07

Sky Bet odds

Robin Van Persie to sign for in Summer 2012 Transfer Window

Manchester Utd1/10
Manchester City9/2
Juventus9/2
PSG12/1
AC Milan16/1
Barcelona16/1
Real Madrid16/1

mightberight

Sky Bet odds

Robin Van Persie to sign for in Summer 2012 Transfer Window

Manchester Utd1/10
Manchester City9/2
Juventus9/2
PSG12/1
AC Milan16/1
Barcelona16/1
Real Madrid16/1
Means nothing, odds are lowered depending on how many people are lumping money on it. They must have made an absolute killing with some of the transfer rumours (that they help fuel) over the years.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
We would have the two best forwards in the premier league if we signed RVP.

It is unreal.

The Berbatov deal was big but this deal is a bit bigger. Will probably be regarded as our best ever attacking force, and yes I include players like Yorke, Solskjaer, Cole and Sheringham in that equation!
Tevez/Ronaldo/Rooney/ Nani was better, imo. In terms of true talent and attacking possiblities, those 4 are outrageous.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Deal done. Official site. feck yes .

Status
Not open for further replies.