Rom & Tony Equal Club Record

Cheekiey

I wonder with time, how good of a partnership these 2 can form. Be interesting to see if we stick with 2 up top so this partnership can develop.

Marcky411

I wonder with time, how good of a partnership these 2 can form. Be interesting to see if we stick with 2 up top so this partnership can develop.
I really hope so but I don't think Jose will regularly play a formation with 2 up top seeing his favourite setup is a 4-2-3-1. With one having the brawn and the other the footwork, they could really get at defenders.

Cheekiey

I think they have more in all competitions, not sure how to find that out though

stepic

Surely Ronaldo and Rooney combined for more? Yorke and Cole? Beckham and anyone else?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly

Maybe it's too early in the day but I don't get this stat. Anyone able to break it down for me? 6 just seems too low for my view of combining as in "one or the other have assisted the other to score the goal".

Nickosaur

That seems so low. Surely Cole + Yorke got more at some point? I reckon these stats have only been recorded post Cole + Yorke.

edit - @septic yeah you'd think Ron and Rooney too...

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Is that 6 goals each assisted by the other? Or 6 goals in total assisted by the other?

If it's the former I can believe it, if it's the latter, then surely that's not true?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Whether high or low, the stat is a bit unsurprising. They do have good chemistry together.

Greck

Maybe it refers to a mutual assist relationship not just a one-way relationship. Can't imagine Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo wouldn't have broken this otherwise

Hawks2008

They definitely have an understanding, I think they would thrive as a striker partnership.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Maybe it refers to a mutual assist relationship not just a one-way relationship. Can't imagine Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo wouldn't have broken this otherwise
Yes it must mean six goals/six assists each, there's no way somebody hasn't assisted someone else in the league six times before.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Martial has assisted Lukaku 3 times and vice versa totalling 6 goals.

Our highest individual assists to goals partnership is Pogba assisting Martial with 4 - surprisingly equal to Sané assisting Sterling. The current highest in the league is Azpilicueta assisting Morata with 6. Runners up are De Bryune to Aguero with 5.

Mata has also assisted Lukaku 3 times.

rotherham_red

Even during pre-season you could see the two had an understanding almost straight away when played together.

Hope Jose sticks with this formation - Rom doesn't entirely suit the lone targetman role, Martial gets to play centrally and Pogba is in his best position. Sanchez is the odd one out in his position as the shuttling midfielder, but his workrate and endeavour would nevertheless make it work.

Trizy

I'd assume they've each assisted each other 6 times, given a total of 12 goals.

EDIT: Just 3 each.

Martial to Lukaku:
Chelsea
Stoke
Palace

Lukaku to Martial
Burnley
Watford
Spurs

Last edited:

Greck

Even during pre-season you could see the two had an understanding almost straight away when played together.

Hope Jose sticks with this formation - Rom doesn't entirely suit the lone targetman role, Martial gets to play centrally and Pogba is in his best position. Sanchez is the odd one out in his position as the shuttling midfielder, but his workrate and endeavour would nevertheless make it work.
Martial, Lukaku, Pogba, Lingard each have one or two players from that hat of names they link up with telepathically. Surprised we get to matchdays and end up struggling to string 3 passes. Crappy fullback support can't help the matter

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Would be interesting to know what the club record is in all competitions over a season.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I really hope so but I don't think Jose will regularly play a formation with 2 up top seeing his favourite setup is a 4-2-3-1. With one having the brawn and the other the footwork, they could really get at defenders.
There's a lot more to Lukaku than "brawn", can we please get over this lazy characterisation of our main striker.

Camilo

It's the sort of stat you never hear about...because it's a bit silly.. Each one of them has assisted the other with scoring 6 goals? Does that mean anything? Having 2 players score 6 goals and assist 6 goals each in a season gives us exactly the same outcome..

Meh.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's the sort of stat you never hear about...because it's a bit silly.. Each one of them has assisted the other with scoring 6 goals? Does that mean anything? Having 2 players score 6 goals and assist 6 goals each in a season gives us exactly the same outcome..

Meh.
It's not like the Harry Kane trophy for goals in a calendar year. Or the Liverpool trophy for whatever criteria they figure out. It just indicates an understanding between two players. Which is good.

Greck

It's not like the Harry Kane trophy for goals in a calendar year. Or the Liverpool trophy for whatever criteria they figure out. It just indicates an understanding between two players. Which is good.
This. Synergistic relationships between attackers often form the foundation of great attacking systems. It's no trophy but refreshing to see good partnerships we can count on in the future

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I agree, it's small news in terms of the numbers but it's good to see an indication that two of our main players seem to have a good understanding.

Cole and Yorke definitely have more than six (as you can see in the video below) but I think this is because maube assist stats weren't officially counted in the Prem until quite a bit later

RuudTom83

Being such a low number actually points out the deficiencies in the team, rather than celebrating the partnership.

But still, I hope they get more chances to play together.

One area the team massively lacks in, is partnerships and general understanding.

Pogba and Zlatan has a slight connection last season, but no other parings exists in the current squad.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The only record that's broken is how many times Lukaku and Martial have linked up for a goal.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Seems like a low number.
It's PL only, they've actually linked up for more goals over the course of the season. CSKA away being the first example that springs to mind

yo@Kirk

Lukaku (112 min/G+A), Martial (94 min/G+A), Lingard (101 min/G+A), and Rashford (112 min/G+A) have very good minutes/ goal + assist ratios. Pogba is at 153 min/G+A. Of United's primary attacking players, only Mata's (235 min/G+A) is worse than Sanchez's (191 min/G+A) minutes/goal + assist ratio at United.

Playing a 4-2-2-2 scheme with either Martial or Rashford to the left of Lukaku at forward, Lingard to the right of Pogba at attacking midfield, and Young and Shaw at fullback should finish the season strong. If Sanchez wants to play, he can man up and show he's better than Lingard at the RAM spot.

Playing good attacking football requires playing the most efficient and effective attacking players in a scheme that best utilizes their attacking skills, IMO. In an attacking sense, the second half vs Chelsea was about as good as we've seen this season vs quality opposition. I hope Mourinho builds on that success by utilizing that scheme and those players going forward.

Greck

Being such a low number actually points out the deficiencies in the team, rather than celebrating the partnership.

But still, I hope they get more chances to play together.

One area the team massively lacks in, is partnerships and general understanding.

Pogba and Zlatan has a slight connection last season, but no other parings exists in the current squad.
How is it a low number if superior partnerships like Rooney-Ronaldo, RVN-Beckham etc didn't surpass it?

Andersons Dietician

That does seem like a low number. I’m surprised 6 is a record. I was just looking for Aubemyang and Dembele last season as I’m sure they set some sort of record and I think it was over 14. Can’t find it anywhere but I’m sure who scored ran an article on it.

However they’ve shown chemistry since pre season especially when they were played as a 2 upfront. They worked well together as both naturally drifted out wide opening up the centre for Pog and Miki.

Pass and Move

There's a lot more to Lukaku than "brawn", can we please get over this lazy characterisation of our main striker.
But that is his main standout characteristic relative to all other strikers. There are many with better footwork, faster, better at holding the ball up, but you'd be hard pressed to find any top class strikers who are brawnier than Lukaku.

ValenciaRocks

What was Beckham to Ruud? Cole to Yorke? Rooney to Ronaldo?
I think people are misunderstanding this stat.
You say what about Beckham to Ruud? What about Ruud to Beckham.

It just means that the combined total assists between two players (Lukaku and Martial in this instance) is the highest total in the EPL.

However, im definitely surprised that the Yorke and cole partnership didn't sum up greater.

Can someone find out the assists between Yorke and Cole in the 98/99 season?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I think people are misunderstanding this stat.
You say what about Beckham to Ruud? What about Ruud to Beckham.

It just means that the combined total assists between two players (Lukaku and Martial in this instance) is the highest total in the EPL.

However, im definitely surprised that the Yorke and cole partnership didn't sum up greater.

Can someone find out the assists between Yorke and Cole in the 98/99 season?
Going from this video below:

Cole and Yorke definitely have more than six (as you can see in the video below) but I think this is because maube assist stats weren't officially counted in the Prem until quite a bit later
Following are domestic:

v Southampton (1)
v Sheffield Wednesday (2)
v West Ham (3)
v West Ham (4)
v Leicester City (5)
v Leicester City (6)
v Liverpool (7)
v Nottingham Forest (8)
v Chelsea (9)
v Chelsea (10)
v Newcastle (11)

Going from this, the Liverpool one was in the FA Cup - same as both Chelsea ones, leaving:

v Southampton (1)
v Sheffield Wednesday (2)
v West Ham (3)
v West Ham (4)
v Leicester City (5)
v Leicester City (6)
v Nottingham Forest (7)
v Newcastle (8)

Lukaku and Martial just two behind with plenty of the season left to go.

Assist stats were only formally written down in the Prem around the early 2000s - I think.