Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I wonder if there are FFP considerations if 1.5 billion quid in loans is simply written off? Yet if they aren't written off it would be an asset of Abramovich's that could be in danger if he is subject to sanctions in the future.

Ibn Battuta

Supports
Chelsea
so he’s now Henry Kissinger and Bill Gates ? Feck off, he’s crook, pure and simple
Did you just try to make an unfavourable comparison between Abramovich and Kissinger? Read up on history. Friendly advice despite your foul language. You are putting your massive ignoricance on display.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
If his assets are frozen won’t his proposed donations to Ukraine be under threat of collapsing? So in many ways he has cornered the UK government into choosing between aid money or going through with their sanctions.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Who forgives 1.5 billion debt? Doesn't make any sense.
we'll likely be sold for slightly above that, so he would take it out of that.

His wording is not "I am clearing all debts owed" it's "all debts will not have to be repaid" slight difference.....

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
we'll likely be sold for slightly above that, so he would take it out of that.

His wording is not "I am clearing all debts owed" it's "all debts will not have to be repaid" slight difference.....
Forgive my ignorance but isn’t there a difference between selling an asset for what it is now deemed to be worth and the debt owed to him being repaid? Happy to be corrected

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Rename ManUnited to The Chelsea of London and sell it for $2.5 billion minus the stadium.
Buy Chelsea for $1.5 billion minus the stadium, rename it to Manchester United.
Adjust the shirts and logos.
Profit. Now we are no longer stuck with paying Ronaldo until he turns 45. We have 1 extra billion, Tuchel and Ralf (sack him before selling the club then hire him).

Ibn Battuta

Supports
Chelsea
Forgive my ignorance but isn’t there a difference between selling an asset for what it is now deemed to be worth and the debt owed to him being repaid? Happy to be corrected
If Chelsea is worth 3bn but has a debt of 1,5bn, then any potential buyer would only pay 1,5bn cash to take over the club.
If Chelsea is worth 3 bn but has no debt, any potential buyer would have to pay 3bn cash.

This is because in scenario 1 you are basically taking on 1,5bn in debt. if you paid 3 bn in that scenario, you would actually value the club at 4,5bn.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Hahahaha mate, you expect me to be all "I hope they get good owners and continue to flourish....."
Personally I wouldn't wish losing their club on any set of fans (not to mention the livelihoods that will tank as a consequence) but maybe I'm in the minority.

Berbigoal

Can't British government do expropriation. Sell club and give it back to Russia when Putin overthrow? The Russian economy is going to need rebuilding.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Personally I wouldn't wish losing their club on any set of fans (not to mention the livelihoods that will tank as a consequence) but maybe I'm in the minority.
Why would you lose your club? It just wouldn't be in the prem anymore.

That's the crux of it.

Stacks

These are money men, this is devastating them financially. Maybe they know people who could do the world a favour..
so its speculation. it kinda sets a precedent though possibly. we could in effect go for every rich person from a country if the country does some fecked up shit. Richard Branson gonna be on the chopping board :D

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
This is highly dodgy and how is it fair to other clubs, they don't get their loans or debts wiped off, its not allowed I believe under FFP rules and maybe even others.
[/QUOTE]

The loan that have been talked about don’t actually appear on Chelsea Football Clubs balance sheets.

What has happened is that to fund the original purchase, to pay off the debts that had accumulated under Bates RA funded a holding company ( now called Fordstam) That holding company hold 100% of the shares in the club. Year on year Chelsea football club have received cash injection from RA via the holding company and in return more shares have been issued

You them have to factor in that a chunk of the debt was pre FFP but also the loans to the holding company that have indeed now reached in excess of £1.5 billion facilitated an increase in equity in lines with FFP.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Sorry but can someone do the maths for dummies, he bought club, transferred it to a charity and said he wouldn't draw down on loan of a couple billion, it wasn't right what he done but how are Chelsea worse off in my very less knowckledge of this, Chelsea are better off, a loan wiped off, and what they have,
He never transferred the club to the charity he planned to transfer the stewardship.

To even answer the question you have to separate the trading entity that is Chelsea Football Club from the holding company.

Far too many seem to think that RA funds the club 100% and yes over the years he has put in vast sums but under his owners Chelsea have significantly grown all income streams.

One very very interesting point is that many clubs have had to massively increase their borrowings to get past COVID. Chelsea were no different other than the fact that Arsenal , like Spurs had to borrow monies for HM Government those debts will have to be repaid.

Nk9

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not so sure about this. Don't get me wrong, the Dodgers are a model organization in terms of how they are run and putting a competitive team on the field. But its not obvious (pandemic effects aside) that they are going into their own pocket very far. They have huge revenues due to selling out a big stadium in a very wealthy part of the country and, even more importantly, a massively lucrative local TV deal (there is a national TV deal that clubs share but the real money is in local market deals and that's where teams like the Dodgers and Yankees get most of their revenue advantage).

In sum, the Dodgers are actually a lot like Manchester United under the Glazers, just much better run. They are outspending their competitors not because the owners are going into their pockets but because of a revenue advantage they have built on their own.
Strangely enough I don't think Uniteds issue is to do with owners not investing. You still have one of the most expensive squads, pretty much comparable to ours., If you take both ins and outs into consideration, Uniteds is considerably higher. Uniteds issue is the club structure and management, which in my humble opinion is better at Chelsea
. Had united got conte rather than sticking with solsksjaer for example, you'd have been competing this year.

Coming to Chelsea, as a Chelsea fan I don't mind if the club were run sustainabily. In fact we have been sustainable and have been following ffp for some years now. You may quote the lukaku and havertz purchase but all of these have been done after equivalent sales. Hazard was sold for 120 odd, Tammy for 34 etc which offsets the 2 big purchases. I never really liked us going for lukaku anyway and going big for young promising stars makes sense at all levels. I don't think too many big buys are the answer for Chelsea anyway as we have an excellent academy to back on.

For the short term , We have made enough big purchases Already that sets us for the next 2 3 years and with broja and Gallagher we have 2 new signings next season. We have buy backs with livramento, Tammy and a few more too.

The bigger thing in the short term is not transfers but to convince Tuchel to stay long term. Given our squad it shouldn't be difficult to have him for at least for 1 or 2 seasons.

We really don't need a big overhaul. A few good purchases here and there like Liverpool go for should be enough as we can at least for a few years manage with some excellent academy products. Don't think Roman will want to change the management structure much really and hope the new owners don't change it too much either.

If the question is how the sale will affect us after 5 years time., That's really anybody's guess. It is definitely a concern, I admit., But as a Chelsea fan, we take the days as they come. No point commenting on a future we have absolutely no clue about. But on the short term for the next 3 to 5 years don't see much changing as long as we keep Tuchel, which is the most important thing.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The big risk for Chelsea here is that any takeover happens through a leveraged buyout, similar to United. Abramovich is looking to offload quickly and these types of deals just don't happen in a week or two. The stadium situation has to be a concern too. There is no quick or cheap solution to that and I would suspect that a sale price north of $1.5bn is unlikely.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Really need some help here….

- He is only selling as he fears losing it through sanctions

- If sanctions are incoming, how is it even possible for someone to give him a couple of billion quid for the club?

Aside from that conundrum, imagine how bad the new owner will be. Happy to give a Russian Oligarch under sanctions, lots of cash.

Absolute horror show of a situation. Great to see.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Wonder if we'll ever see similar situations at Man City and Newcastle, with their equally dodgy ownership.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
The big risk for Chelsea here is that any takeover happens through a leveraged buyout, similar to United. Abramovich is looking to offload quickly and these types of deals just don't happen in a week or two. The stadium situation has to be a concern too. There is no quick or cheap solution to that and I would suspect that a sale price north of $1.5bn is unlikely.
The Man City deal saw agreed in one day

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Yes but with finances that Chelsea have now, it shouldn’t be a problem. Its never been a problem for United unless you live on twitter or Reddit.

Nk9

Supports
Chelsea
Why would you lose your club? It just wouldn't be in the prem anymore.

That's the crux of it.
Look. If this is your sense of humor, you may need to calm down.

This isn't child's play. Chelsea are a big marketable club with a global fan base and a ton of employees. Why would the UK government want to disrupt a football club and rob it's employees of their employment if the funds are not being parried over to Russia.

Absent the debt 1.5 bn is very likely. And Roman suggested the debt is a write off. And even after reading his statement without my blue tinted glasses that is what I got from his statement.

It's possible that Roman realized that any money from the sale wouldn't do him much good anyway. It can be sanctioned. So instead giving it to charity for victims of Ukraine can save his reputation. Roman may have economic interests in other countries too. So saving his reputation is a must at this point.

I am not seeing this as anything negative against Roman. But from a practical standpoint, he'd have realized what's coming and tried to make the best of the situation. Not just for himself but for the club as well.

Writing the loans off makes the club an excellent buy for anyone involved. Don't think he would change the club structure much as well. Donating the proceeds to charity can calm some of the mps until the sale is done properly.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Difference is that United was an obvious opportunity to take over a massive revenue generating scheme. One look at the books will tell any prospective buyers, especially American buyers, that Chelsea would not function well as a piggy bank. You need historic clubs with massive followings who will fork over cash regardless of what you do to attract the likes of the Glazers and Kroenke. We are more likely to get frugal, but solid management like the Fenway group, or another non American (hopefully British) sugar daddy that wants in the game.

marktan

- If sanctions are incoming, how is it even possible for someone to give him a couple of billion quid for the club?

Aside from that conundrum, imagine how bad the new owner will be. Happy to give a Russian Oligarch under sanctions, lots of cash.

For some reason the UK government are dithering on sanctions, so he's trying to sell it and his properties in the UK quick before the sanctions happen. That way he can get his money out and hide it.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea

The first point is a given

The second is an interesting one . It’s all well and good freezing a bank account, or impounding a plane but a trading entity opens up all sorts of issues and particularly the fact that football clubs are treated differently even though they shouldnot be. RA may well have given HM Government a way out of a conundrum in that they won’t be having somehow to take over running the club or appointing someone in the knowledge that the nett proceeds will be handed over to a charity that I suspect will be the get out of jail card for any new owner who stumps up cash

The point about foreign owners is something that Gary Neville touched on. You don’t have to be foreign to be a bad owner there are some obvious examples just ask Bury or Derby supporters but even then It will be interest to see at some point in the future how other owners of non UK origin fare if their country engages in occupation or war against another country

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Difference is that United was an obvious opportunity to take over a massive revenue generating scheme. One look at the books will tell any prospective buyers, especially American buyers, that Chelsea would not function well as a piggy bank. You need historic clubs with massive followings who will fork over cash regardless of what you do to attract the likes of the Glazers and Kroenke. We are more likely to get frugal, but solid management like the Fenway group, or another non American (hopefully British) sugar daddy that wants in the game.
Put to one side what is happening and l ets look at some hard numbers.

RA through Fordstam has invested £1.5 billion . Had things not turned the way that they have that £1.5 billion was worth what £2-2.5 billion.So growth of around £500-£1000 million over a 19 year period.

The Man Utd example is unique but Fenway and indeed KSE haven’t turned a profit and in the case of KSE their loans, even ignoring the money they stumped up to buy the shares) is said by AST to now be in excess of £250 million with another £250 million owed by way of their recent and historical transfers.

clarkydaz

Wonder if we'll ever see similar situations at Man City and Newcastle, with their equally dodgy ownership.
Seems It would take something for the whole world to be up in arms over, like Putin going full on maniac. It also allows them to plan for a situation like this to cover their backs i guess

arthurka

The amount of wishful thinking and denial of Abramovich’s long and extensive links to the post glasnost Russian kleptocracy and the entire tenure of Putin by sportswashed Chelsea fans on here is nothing short of hilarious.

This is Alexei Navalny’s list of 35 Russian oligarchs who were instrumental in the running and propping up of Putin’s state, and the poisoning and imprisonment of navalny. Guess who is number 1 on this list?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navalny_35

This is his ally Vladimir Ashurkov’s further pruned list of the 8 biggest criminals in that galley of 35. Again, a prominent name makes number 1 on the list -

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021...remlin-critics-top-8-sanctions-targets-a72647

These two lists by Putin‘s jailed main opposition leader are the template for the oligarchs Biden is currently being asked by bipartisan groups in Congress to target for sanctions -

https://nypost.com/2022/02/25/house-group-demands-sanctions-on-russias-navalny-35/

Same applies in this country. Boris Johnson’s template for who to go for next? Yep, it’s navalny’s list -

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...o-widen-sanctions-on-more-oligarchs-in-london
Thanks for this. Great post.

sangria

Did you just try to make an unfavourable comparison between Abramovich and Kissinger? Read up on history. Friendly advice despite your foul language. You are putting your massive ignoricance on display.
Fair point. Kissinger's team, Greuther Furth, is bottom of the Bundesliga, whereas Abramovich's team, Chelsea, is near the top of the Premier League.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The issue is the timing of this. Roman needs a quick sale, and that vastly increases the likelihood that any buyer would use credit to buy the club, and thus some or all of the repayment of that credit could be put on the club rather than any individuals. The list of people willing and able to spend billions on a football club is much smaller than a lot of people think, and it bears repeating that the stadium is going to be a real issue for any buyers. It's no longer fit for purpose for a club the size of Chelsea and there is no easy or cheap solution to that.

Obviously anything can happen from here but I think the most likely scenario is that Chelsea will see a significant reduction in spending over the next 10 years. It won't be felt immediately but over time it will be tougher for them to continue to challenge. Fortunately Chelsea are now very much established as a top tier club and that won't go away anytime soon so you'll have no problem attracting players whatever happens.

Lentwood

The amount of wishful thinking and denial of Abramovich’s long and extensive links to the post glasnost Russian kleptocracy and the entire tenure of Putin by sportswashed Chelsea fans on here is nothing short of hilarious.

This is Alexei Navalny’s list of 35 Russian oligarchs who were instrumental in the running and propping up of Putin’s state, and the poisoning and imprisonment of navalny. Guess who is number 1 on this list?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navalny_35

This is his ally Vladimir Ashurkov’s further pruned list of the 8 biggest criminals in that galley of 35. Again, a prominent name makes number 1 on the list -

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021...remlin-critics-top-8-sanctions-targets-a72647

These two lists by Putin‘s jailed main opposition leader are the template for the oligarchs Biden is currently being asked by bipartisan groups in Congress to target for sanctions -

https://nypost.com/2022/02/25/house-group-demands-sanctions-on-russias-navalny-35/

Same applies in this country. Boris Johnson’s template for who to go for next? Yep, it’s navalny’s list -

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...o-widen-sanctions-on-more-oligarchs-in-london
There's a book you might like called 'Once Upon a Time in Russia', talks about the theft of Russia's assets at natural resources by the ruling class and oligarchs during 'perestroika'.

Abrahamovich is mentioned numerous times. It's nothing short of outright robbery, downright corruption and deliberate and knowing impoverishment of millions of people.

But Chelsea fans will defend him, because their team did a bit better during his tenure....

UpWithRivers

The whole world - 'Fk Putin and Russia. Our hearts bleed for the loss of life in Ukraine'
Chelsea fans - 'Oh what a wonderful guy Ambramovich was. We'll miss you. Much love'
Newcastle and Man City fans ... Stick heads in sand. 'Don't look at us. Don't look at us'.

Its ridiculous.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
This. Chelsea are in a situation where this goes one of two ways.

At worst they get a Glazer model where they get put in debt up to their eyeballs to leverage buy the club. At best they get an even richer owner who then takes it over and uses them for either

A) Sports Washing (Another Arab state)
B) To brand themselves, diversify their assets/use club to promote their business interests (this could be someone like Bezos)

In my opinion they'll get something inbetween A or B. Not sure they'll get the full Glazer treatment simply because their ground cannot really be leveraged.

Ibn Battuta

Supports
Chelsea
The whole world - 'Fk Putin and Russia. Our hearts bleed for the loss of life in Ukraine'
Chelsea fans - 'Oh what a wonderful guy Ambramovich was. We'll miss you. Much love'
Newcastle and Man City fans ... Stick heads in sand. 'Don't look at us. Don't look at us'.

Its ridiculous.
The world is not black and white my friend. You can condemn Russia for obvious war crimes and at the same time say it is not right to send people to the gulag based on weak or unsubstantiated claims.