Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

choccy77

As I mentioned earlier, the club are in a bad situation, as they have limited matchday revenue and no likely prospect of being able to increase attendance revenue, meaning, there is limited scope for any new buyer, to make money, unless perhaps they decided to sell the ground and land and build some nice new flats for Chelsea's rich.

Roman asking for £3b + is insane and he will not get this, unless the buyer is a real muppet (called Connor McGregor).

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
There's a book you might like called 'Once Upon a Time in Russia', talks about the theft of Russia's assets at natural resources by the ruling class and oligarchs during 'perestroika'.

Abrahamovich is mentioned numerous times. It's nothing short of outright robbery, downright corruption and deliberate and knowing impoverishment of millions of people.

But Chelsea fans will defend him, because their team did a bit better during his tenure....
Yeah the way he got rich is pretty well documented and uncontested, but it seems it's swept under the rug quite easily. I understand why Chelsea fans would like the guy, considering the success the club has had during his tenure, but then just admit you're glorifying a crook and the money you built your success was founded on illicit activities. I find it strange how much justification there seems to be for a guy whose past is pretty clearly established.

Ibn Battuta

Supports
Chelsea
As I mentioned earlier, the club are in a bad situation, as they have limited matchday revenue and no likely prospect of being able to increase attendance revenue, meaning, there is limited scope for any new buyer, to make money, unless perhaps they decided to sell the ground and land and build some nice new flats for Chelsea's rich.

Roman asking for £3b + is insane and he will not get this, unless the buyer is a real muppet (called Connor McGregor).
Matchday revenue is becoming increasingly less relevant then it was before. The digital revolution has made sure of that. I am not so sure having a 80,000 seater stadium is such a massive competitive advantage anymore.

allen7

If he’s not guilty, why is he selling all assets now?

I believe there are so many Russian billionaires living everywhere without panicking or selling theirs.

Ibn Battuta

Supports
Chelsea
If he’s not guilty, why is he selling all assets now?

I believe there are so many Russian billionaires living everywhere without panicking or selling theirs.
Same reason Bill Gates would sell all his assets if he lived in China and the US was in a tit for tat retaliation war with the country.

choccy77

Matchday revenue is becoming increasingly less relevant then it was before. The digital revolution has made sure of that. I am not so sure having a 80,000 seater stadium is such a massive competitive advantage anymore.
So what happens if you can't obtain sponsors or partners?

United make minimum of £3m per match at Home. That's huge money if you think about it.

diarm

If I was trying to come up with a way to prevent my football club being seized, pretending to sell it and donate the proceeds to the war victims sounds like a bloody good call.

Any such sale will take months of due diligence. Go through the motions with the heat off you until the war blows over and sanctions / threats of asset seizure are lifted and then the sale mysteriously falls through.

UpWithRivers

The world is not black and white my friend. You can condemn Russia for obvious war crimes and at the same time say it is not right to send people to the gulag based on weak or unsubstantiated claims.
Black and white my arse. The world has spoken. The government has spoken. They have said that the Russian Oligarchs are in league with Putin. Its not some kind of fairy tale. Everyone knows how he got his money. Everyone knows how the Saudis etc have treated women etc. Only Chelsea fans and Man City fans etc are like. Oh but the government is wrong. He's such a nice guy.

If you really believe its some kind of conspiracy and the world is out to get your nice guy Amramovich for nothing then start protesting. Go against your own government and people. Heck if they are lying about Abramovich they could be lying about Putin.

choccy77

If I was trying to come up with a way to prevent my football club being seized, pretending to sell it and donate the proceeds to the war victims sounds like a bloody good call.

Any such sale will take months of due diligence. Go through the motions with the heat off you until the war blows over and sanctions / threats of asset seizure are lifted and then the sale mysteriously falls through.
Russia are the Victims of War, Putin said so.

That's all you need to know about where this NET profit will be going.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
He won’t be sanctioned. There would be a massively dangerous precedent set by that. Other than some minor investments in raw minerals he doesn’t have any transactions with Russia, does he?
So, as a thought experiment: does that mean they are going after anyone who EVER made money is Russia? Or are they going to target people based solely on ethnicity and national origin? All the other “Oligarchs” I have seen on this list still have active companies and interests in Russia. That IS what sanctions are for: hindering the usable assets of the state and its leaders. Unless they provide specific evidence otherwise, going after Roman would involve the two hypotheticals which, aside from being gross overreaches of governments against individuals, would set a precedent a LOT of people would be uncomfortable with. It would mean trying to seize everything he has based solely on his nationality.

TheReligion

Abusive
Do you have any idea how much clubs make on a match day? It’s not just the ticket price and hospitality packages….

I don’t think you do;

Sponsorship
Beverages
Club shop
Fanzone
Tours
Surrounding business and accommodation
Parking

It’s huge money

Herman Toothrot

If you ever needed more evidence of him being a cnut there it is.

Now which one am I talking about?
Remember when Chelsea fans were booing Rio Ferdinand because Terry had racially abused his brother? It's hard to feel for Chelsea fans.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Remember when Chelsea fans were booing Rio Ferdinand because Terry had racially abused his brother? It's hard to feel for Chelsea fans.
Most of their wider fan base have been in tears over this and thanking Roman widely. Sports washing is dangerous and works.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Do you have any idea how much clubs make on a match day? It’s not just the ticket price and hospitality packages….

I don’t think you do;

Sponsorship
Beverages
Club shop
Fanzone
Tours
Surrounding business and accommodation
Parking

It’s huge money
But they already have all of those already. So it's probably just the difference in attendance and difference in corporate that would really affect them.

TheReligion

Abusive
But they already have all of those already. So it's probably just the difference in attendance and difference in corporate that would really affect them.
Well the more people who come on match day the more revenue you make.

it’s simple maths

to say your stadium and infrastructure isn’t important is silly

TheReligion

Abusive
Most of their wider fan base have been in tears over this and thanking Roman widely. Sports washing is dangerous and works.
i have to say it was a bit crass signing RA chants last night at the game all things considered

The Luton fans gave it back tenfold

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I'm sure him publicly endorsing and laughing at a tweet racially abusing Ashley Cole had nothing to do with.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Well the more people who come on match day the more revenue you make.

it’s simple maths

to say your stadium and infrastructure isn’t important is silly
You are correct, of course it is. But the guy you are quoting is also correct, with TV money being like it is, prize money, sponsorship money all increasing drastically, it has less of an impact than other factors than when Arsenal were planning on building the Emirates and expecting to be at the very top of the game in terms of revenues & probably took their eye off the ball commercially.

cyberman

You are correct, of course it is. But the guy you are quoting is also correct, with TV money being like it is, prize money, sponsorship money all increasing drastically, it has less of an impact than other factors than when Arsenal were planning on building the Emirates and expecting to be at the very top of the game in terms of revenues & probably took their eye off the ball commercially.
Yeah but if everybody is getting money then nobody is getting money? Fees and wages just go up. The stadium on top is what sets you apart

TheReligion

Abusive
It’s certainly a balance and you need both. Agree on that aspect. I felt he was trying to suggest the stadium issues Chelsea has isn’t a problem though; it is. Previous investors have openly spoke about it putting them off a deal and it will flag up again as part of any potential sale.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yep. That's why Championship teams gamble so hard in making the PL and why relegation fighting teams piss on tradition and prioritise staying up over going for a cup win (which even in the long shot of succeeding Birmingham and Wigan have both shown it isn't really worth it long term).

£180m for finishing bottom is obscene and barring criminal mismanagement the likes of Norwich can comfortably sustain a yo yo existence (at worst) on that type of "reward" money alone.

Baxter

See it with City and Newcastle too. Laughable the lengths people go to defend these guys because the put some cash into their team. It’s embarrassing.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

See it with City and Newcastle too. Laughable the lengths people go to defend these guys because the put some cash into their team. It’s embarrassing.
If only the Glazers were good owners, we could be defending American foreign policy!

TheReligion

Abusive
Yep. That's why Championship teams gamble so hard in making the PL and why relegation fighting teams piss on tradition and prioritise staying up over going for a cup win (which even in the long shot of succeeding Birmingham and Wigan have both shown it isn't really worth it long term).

£180m for finishing bottom is obscene and barring criminal mismanagement the likes of Norwich can comfortably sustain a yo yo existence (at worst) on that type of "reward" money alone.
I don’t disagree but your stadium issue is an issue. No two ways about it. It seems quite difficult to sort out too hence why RA didn’t bother in the end.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t disagree but your stadium issue is an issue. No two ways about it. It seems quite difficult to sort out too hence why RA didn’t bother in the end.
For sure but it's certainly not the immeasurable gap it would have been in the past.

I'm not even a big fan of TV money (rewards failure and in turn has turned the PL and top half of the Champ into a closed shop) but it will go some way to bridging the gap.

Dr. StrangeHate

Wonder if we'll ever see similar situations at Man City and Newcastle, with their equally dodgy ownership.
Very unlikely as UAE and KSA are very stable States with full backing of the west.

MBS chopped an American into pieces and the president of USA said I am not going to destroy a great alliance due to that. UK welcomed them to buy Newcastle with open arms. Both these clubs will be fine.

Polar

Would’ve been worried if I was a Chelsea supporter. Chelsea wouldn’t have many titles without RA as Owner. Quite an advantage to have owners who owns football clubs mainly because of their love for football, charity, money laundering, PR or a mix of these factors.

Hope they get new owners who are looking for profit. Welcome to the real world :lol:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Very unlikely as UAE and KSA are very stable States with full backing of the west.

MBS chopped an American into pieces and the president of USA said I am not going to destroy a great alliance due to that. UK welcomed them to buy Newcastle with open arms. Both these clubs will be fine.
Exactly. They're too well embedded into our financial systems now. They're also owned by sovereign funds, which makes the proposition quite different to Abramovich, an individual.

Dr. StrangeHate

Khashoggi was not an American citizen, he had permanent residence. If he had American citizenship, he'd have no business in a Saudi consulate to renew his passport.
Probably why MBS thought he needed to get a move on and kill him before he becomes a citizen.