Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

Fluctuation0161

100% this.
I also find it baffling people think he's suddenly gonna ask for his money back. Regardless of his ties its clear Roman has no intention of ever asking for that money back and has genuine affection for Chelsea regardless of how he felt when purchasing. Not a bit of this will effect you guys in any way (nor should it).
It's not about him asking for his money back. It's about him still being allowed to own the club. Yes, this is an obvious attempt at a loophole. But loopholes can be closed.

Funny that a City fan would think that a football club owners questionable actions should not effect the club in any way. Purely a coincidence, I'm sure.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Thought this was an interesting thread addressing the links between Abramovich and Putin:

He's wrong about Abramovich staying away from Moscow though, surely. I don't think that bits true. That Kaveh bloke treating this as a bit of transfer gossip he can just make up on the fly for likes and retweets is really weird.

padr81

Supports
Man City
It's not about him asking for his money back. It's about him still being allowed to own the club. Yes, this is an obvious attempt at a loophole. But loopholes can be closed.

Funny that a City fan would think that a football club owners questionable actions should not effect the club in any way. Purely a coincidence, I'm sure.
What questionable actions have anything to do with Chelsea? He can even be removed and nothing will change for Chelsea either way, you are deluded to think anything else. Closing the stable after the horse has bolted sorts nothing.

finneh

What questionable actions have anything to do with Chelsea? He can even be removed and nothing will change for Chelsea either way, you are deluded to think anything else. Closing the stable after the horse has bolted sorts nothing.
I'm not sure an operating loss before tax in 2021 of £183m tells the same story.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He's wrong about Abramovich staying away from Moscow though, surely. I don't think that bits true. That Kaveh bloke treating this as a bit of transfer gossip he can just make up on the fly for likes and retweets is really weird.
Is it? I could have sworn around that time Abramovich was rumoured to be reluctant to go back to Russia. I could be wrong but I also don't think he attended any of the matches in the 2018 World Cup.

Agreed re: Kaveh - shameful behaviour.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'm not sure an operating loss before tax in 2021 of £183m tells the same story.
Many clubs had huge loss on the back of covid. Chelsea will be fine now without Roman, unless he calls in those loans, which he won't.

Dr. StrangeHate

The UK government allowed a killer to buy Newcastle just a few months back. They just care about the bottom line.

Currently City, Newcastle and Chelsea have got questionable owners who have the media and government in their pockets. Nothing is going to happen. In fact I expect the club to be praised for being so decisive to distance it self from Roman.

finneh

Many clubs had huge loss on the back of covid. Chelsea will be fine now without Roman, unless he calls in those loans, which he won't.
They made losses the year before of £112m and losses the year before that of £163m. Even looking at EBITDA in terms of cash flow it's a spending capacity of one Drinkwater a year working on the last three years.

They aren't like City in that they wouldn't literally go under if their benefactor and related sponsors left or were forced to leave. However Chelsea as a Premier League and Champions League competitive club regularly would be a thing of the past.

padr81

Supports
Man City
They made losses the year before of £112m and losses the year before that of £163m. Even looking at EBITDA in terms of cash flow you're looking at a spending capacity of one Drinkwater a year working on the last three years EBITDA.

They aren't like City in that they wouldn't literally go under if their benefactor and related sponsors left or were forced to leave. However Chelsea as a Premier League and Champions League competitive club regularly would be a thing if the past.
I think the Chelsea we have now might go away but they'll still be able to spend Liverpool like numbers imho. They also went on a mad spending spree recently which they hadn't done for awhile before hand which kinda staggers the books. Whether they'd be able to compete at the top depends very much on how you guys sort yourselves out of course and that City somehow conspire to City up the situation we are in now.

finneh

I think the Chelsea we have now might go away but they'll still be able to spend Liverpool like numbers imho. They also went on a mad spending spree recently which they hadn't done for awhile before hand which kinda staggers the books. Whether they'd be able to compete at the top depends very much on how you guys sort yourselves out of course and that City somehow conspire to City up the situation we are in now.
They would certainly need a Klopp like influence to compete without Abramovich. They'd need to significantly reduce their wage bill to release cash flow to invest in refreshing the squad.

They'd definitely be with Arsenal and Spurs right now at best post Covid rather than comfortably third. They'd also be looking at selling to buy in the summer.

TheReligion

Abusive

Is this why? Can’t be a coincidence
I’m not sure why some seem to think RA won’t be affected now? Clearly he will be and the knock on effect of that will be he will be restricted in his funding of Chelsea. Unless I’m missing something?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I’m not sure why some seem to think RA won’t be affected now? Clearly he will be and the knock on effect of that will be he will be restricted in his funding of Chelsea. Unless I’m missing something?
But again, the issue becomes if they do take Chelsea, they'll likely take the holding company they're in debt too. In which case, Chelsea gets wholly owned by the Government who will sell to another wealthy owner. They may not be as wealthy as RA but it is not as if they'll take them and liquidate them.

TheRedHearted

Doesn't mean anything right? Isn't this just officially moving himself away from a decision making position so if anything happens Chelsea are protected?

Hoping someone tells me I'm wrong and it means Chelsea are fecked
His daughter just posted a pro Ukrainian post/ anti Putin.

https://www.si.com/fannation/soccer...an-abramovich-daughter-shares-anti-putin-post

I honestly wonder how much that had to do with it and his decision to distance himself considering how much money Chelsea could lose

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It probably comes down to how wide of a net is being cast - if the focus is on active oligarchs with close ties to the regime who share some culpability for the situation in Ukraine, then Abramovich might get away with it as opposed to someone like Deripaska.

That said, I agree with your assessment - surely this will have an impact on Chelsea's funding. The question remains though whether the underlying debt to Abramovich's holding company is negated should Chelsea be seized as an asset - in which case the pool of potential buyers dramatically expands.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He is a bit weird. He always says his “news” like he is telling us in detail some really valuable piece of exclusive transfer news, when all he does is regurgitate widely known information. Even then, he still manages to sound like he hasn’t watched a game of football in his life.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
The media will be full of "Roman steps down" headlines tomorrow and they'll move on to the next shiny thing in a day or so.

The actual reality of the situation isn't really that sexy and I'd imagine there's bigger fish for them to try than trying to oust Roman after 20 or so years of them not giving a single shit that he owned Chelsea.

That's my guess anyway.
The stories of his past have been floated round for best part of 10yrs and they have done nothing. They wont suddenly give a shit now, as you say. Guesswork but i perhaps naively dont see anything major happening..

UK govt has already blacklisted Putin allies making them subject to sanctions and asset freezing, but Abramovich is not on the list

Last edited:

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
He is a bit weird. He always says his “news” like he is telling us in detail some really valuable piece of exclusive transfer news, when all he does is regurgitate widely known information. Even then, he still manages to sound like he hasn’t watched a game of football in his life.
His deadline day "ive just had a text from a source involved in the deal" whose name is Twitter. He's a baboon

Simbo

Just a matter of time, Chelsea FC is a Russian Oligarch's asset.

I did start thinking that if something happened to Chelsea, football fans should unite and support them somehow, its not their fault after all... Feck that though, give it to Bury or Bolton instead.

Green_Red

In all honesty I think he has been one of the best owners of a football club there could be. But given the incoming sanctions he has done right distancing himself from Chelsea before the government make their operations impossible under his stewardship. However the sanctions last one thing is for certain, without him, they will definitely suffer from a financial perspective.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
The stories of his past have been floated round for best part of 10yrs and they have done nothing. They wont suddenly give a shit now, as you say. Guesswork but i perhaps naively dont see anything major happening..

UK govt has already blacklisted Putin allies making them subject to sanctions and asset freezing, but Abramovich is not on the list
Let’s not forget that he wasn’t on the list of Oligarchs that met with Putin prior to invasion. He may have had ties with Putin in the past, he may have done up until recently but I don’t believe he is involved in the Ukraine invasion.

The Uk government along with other governments are trying to hurt Russia by sanctioning as much as possible. The problem is, Putin gives no fecks. While he is off doing this China is helping him and I will not be surprised by next week if they invade Taiwan.

nainaisson

This smells like a cynical PR move. The UK government should force Abramovich to sell Chelsea to Mike Ashley for a single British pound.

Pronewbie

Peep
Yeah. it's astounding to see how everyone has lost their sh1t from what Russia is doing whilst other wars are currently going on whether directly/indirectly without any cause for concern
Anglo saxon media propaganda at its finest. The West have blood on their hands for leading Ukraine down such a misguided path.

Russia isn't some Middle Eastern country. They are a great power. You don't overthrow and install a puppet gov, place military personnel and weapons, and encourage their neighbour to join a hostile coalition (NATO) without expecting any pushback at some point. The US attacks any perceived threat to their self-interest with far greater impunity.

A strong, independent Ukraine should have been the solution.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Well if Biden is hunting people down, he should be fearful!

In six months I doubt anyone will be discussing RA. He will still own Chelsea and he will still make sure his club is competitive. He was first associated with Gorbachev. I have never seen anything credible that says he was a part of Putin’s inner circle. Being in Russian government and extremely wealthy is always going to mean you have to deal with Putin, there is no way around it. I think the worst thing I have seen about him is the financing he does for Israel. I am not saying that is the only worrying thing he may have done, just the only credible thing I have seen. He has been a great owner that demands results for the money he invests in the team. I think people are losing their shit about him in a hope that Chelsea goes away and somehow that elevates their team. I think RA is not going anywhere, and Chelsea will still spend boat loads of cash, hopefully no more boat loads for a shit CF. I could be wrong, we will see.

C'est Moi Cantona

Even if nothing has really changed at Chelsea and the money is still there, I wonder if they'll struggle a bit more than usual in the transfer market, as I can't see many big name players wanting to go there for a while.

Oranges038

Nah, he'll just find another way to "loan" the club his own money.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think he would lessen his commitment to Chelsea if his status remains similar after all this is over.

My main concern would be will he still have that status / volume of wealth when this is done, where he can just hand over another £250M in loans like he did a couple of years back. I can't imagine him ever being in a position where he has to draw the purse strings a bit, but i suppose it all depends on how this plays out.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Honestly think some people are getting ahead of themselves here. Chelsea will be fine owing to their debt structure. If the assets get taken, there is no way the debt is call.

I am also yet to see any evidence that he is a massive pal of Putin apart from being a rich Russian. For instance, wasn't part of the reason he brought Chelsea was to get out of the Russian political scene as Putin by 03 was starting to gain a foothold, while he later sold his oil company and a discounted rate to avoid getting in his crosshairs? On top of that he has won court dates in London already on his links to him.

Not saying the bloke isn't dodgy, clearly is with how we know stuff went down in Russia after the fall of the curtain and how he ended up with such wealth. However, that was under Yelsin.

Only issue may be he cannot directly finance Chelsea and/or he cannot give them as much as before. Additionally, with the way Putin deals with dissent (or what he thinks is dissent) I would not be surprised if he is some sort of hit list.

I can see a change in ownership, but they're not getting ejected from the league and/or getting liquidated.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
I’m sure most football fans would agree that the best course of action here is for the UK government to seize Chelsea FC, undertake a fire sale of all the assets, and sell the tea lady and the training ground to Mike Ashley for £3.99 plus a mars bar in part exchange. The money from the fire sale could go towards propping up the brave Ukrainian war effort.

That way everyone wins. The Rom returns to Old Trafford to solve your goalscoring woes and show Ronaldo how a top, top striker fills his boots, Kante takes early retirement to concentrate on his accountancy career which he had to abandon when football came knocking, and pulisic and havertz can come join papa klopp at Anfield. Timo Werner could finally pursue that career in 100m sprinting which he was born to fulfil.

Handsome Devil

Chelsea fans! Roman Abramovich has robbed you of your rightful and historical identity to be a mid table Premiership club, occasionally aspiring to the Carabao or FA Cup (bit like us now.)
Shake off your shackles and stand proudly beside your peers Brentford, Millwall, Charlton.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Chelsea fans! Roman Abramovich has robbed you of your rightful and historical identity to be a mid table Premiership club, occasionally aspiring to the Carabao or FA Cup (bit like us now.)
Shake off your shackles and stand proudly beside your peers Brentford, Millwall, Charlton.
We were in the Champions League before Roman came along you silly billy.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I’m sure money laundering will be impossible for him from now on. The west don’t seem to be fecking around.
If he's been trying to launder money, he's the worst money launderer in the history of crime.

He's picked one of the highest profile businesses in the world and has had feck all return. He's got loads of attention and feck all back from his investments.

cyberman

If he's been trying to launder money, he's the worst money launderer in the history of crime.

He's picked one of the highest profile businesses in the world and has had feck all return. He's got loads of attention and feck all back from his investments.
I mean from now on. There’s no way a Russian Oligarch will be allowed to invest in Britain. This isn’t Boris and party gate, there’s real movement to punish them.

Because he hasn't sold it yet. Billionaires don't launder cash, they use it to buy assets in safer locations and currencies that can be sold later.