g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

Sparky Rhiwabon

Assume it’s to prevent them being hit by any sanctions, or sponsors pulling out, etc. Just until things blow over.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Your tweet was crap and misinformation. You’re welcome
Not my tweet - was taken from this very thread posted by a Chelsea fan. Instead of disputing one date maybe you could dispute the links to Putin - you won’t though because you can’t. Congratulations on being a perfect example of how sport washing works. Enjoy your trophy later.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Not my tweet - was taken from this very thread posted by a Chelsea fan. Instead of disputing one date maybe you could dispute the links to Putin - you won’t though because you can’t. Congratulations on being a perfect example of how sport washing works. Enjoy your trophy later.
You are posting like a child throwing a fit. Any wealthy Russian, especially one that held political office in Russia, will have contact with Putin. It is absolutely unavoidable in a country with an authoritarian dictator. A more reasoned observation is, was Roman in Putin’s inner circle? From all the credible things written the answer is no. Abromovich was at odds with Putin when he sold his holdings to the state. All of this is easily accessed.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I feel like a lot of Chelsea fans are going to feel silly about their defense of Abramavich as things unfold in the future.
My views are not set in stone. If something credible comes out, it will change it. I feel bad for the crowd typing angrily Abromovich is a butcher… because Putin and he became a billionaire. Weird emotional logic.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Assume it’s to prevent them being hit by any sanctions, or sponsors pulling out, etc. Just until things blow over.
it certainly is. Hands the stewardship to charitable trustees. Cant seize the club off a charity. Creates a paper trail keeping just enough distance between himself and the club, remains owner but at the same time protects Chelsea from being affected by the sanctions.

Takes a backseat owner role, and when it blows over, continues to be involved as he was previous with any funding and decision making. Lets not forget he hasnt been in the UK for a good while now and Marina has essentially run the club in his absence. Roman was only really involved in giving the nod for the dismissing of managers and hiring, the club is self funded now with transfers etc. So there isnt a whole lot of difference, really.

Will he be perhaps open to offers? Maybe. But it'd just get sold to another multi billionaire or group; and the club could for all intents and purposes end up better off financially. So perhaps naively on my behalf, I really dont see a scenario where it hits us hard.

Pintu

Chelsea and City have to be sanctioned or better banned.

Chelsea for obvious reasons and city because uae did not vote against russia in the un.
The UAE are killing kids in Yemen, but City should be banned for their vote in the UN?

Coops73

it certainly is. Hands the stewardship to charitable trustees. Cant seize the club off a charity. Creates a paper trail keeping just enough distance between himself and the club, remains owner but at the same time protects Chelsea from being affected by the sanctions.

Takes a backseat owner role, and when it blows over, continues to be involved as he was previous with any funding and decision making. Lets not forget he hasnt been in the UK for a good while now and Marina has essentially run the club in his absence. Roman was only really involved in giving the nod for the dismissing of managers and hiring, the club is self funded now with transfers etc. So there isnt a whole lot of difference, really.

Will he be perhaps open to offers? Maybe. But it'd just get sold to another multi billionaire or group; and the club could for all intents and purposes end up better off financially. So perhaps naively on my behalf, I really dont see a scenario where it hits us hard.
You Chelsea fans all off to the Winchester for a nice cold pint?

Hughie77

He's supposedly put the daily running of the club to these people? Bollocks it's just smoke and Mirrors for the world. Kick the twat back to Russia with his mate Putin. And everyone knows he's up Putins ass , both of them are crooks. Never mind though except it.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I wonder if Marina is allowed to have input still as she’s dual nationality. I have no idea where the line is drawn with sanctions.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
The amount of wishful thinking and denial of Abramovich’s long and extensive links to the post glasnost Russian kleptocracy and the entire tenure of Putin by sportswashed Chelsea fans on here is nothing short of hilarious.

This is Alexei Navalny’s list of 35 Russian oligarchs who were instrumental in the running and propping up of Putin’s state, and the poisoning and imprisonment of navalny. Guess who is number 1 on this list?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navalny_35

This is his ally Vladimir Ashurkov’s further pruned list of the 8 biggest criminals in that galley of 35. Again, a prominent name makes number 1 on the list -

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021...remlin-critics-top-8-sanctions-targets-a72647

These two lists by Putin‘s jailed main opposition leader are the template for the oligarchs Biden is currently being asked by bipartisan groups in Congress to target for sanctions -

https://nypost.com/2022/02/25/house-group-demands-sanctions-on-russias-navalny-35/

Same applies in this country. Boris Johnson’s template for who to go for next? Yep, it’s navalny’s list -

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...o-widen-sanctions-on-more-oligarchs-in-london

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
The UAE are killing kids in Yemen, but City should be banned for their vote in the UN?
Unfortunately the powers that be in the west don't give a flying feck about kids in yemen, infact they're providing the bombs.

The Purley King

Too late Roman.

You won’t get a load of charity workers to allow the blood to run from your hands to theirs regardless of the motive.

by the way if you were expecting the £1.5bn you are owed by the club to be paid back you may want to think again. Whoops

oreon

Maybe the FA & EPL should have stronger standards on who can buy clubs. States shouldn't be allowed to buy clubs or Oligarchs or owners who leverage the club with debt in order to buy clubs.
The current owners of UTD, Newcastle and Chelsea should never have been allowed in the 1st place.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Maybe the FA & EPL should have stronger standards on who can buy clubs. States shouldn't be allowed to buy clubs or Oligarchs or owners who leverage the club with debt in order to buy clubs.
The current owners of UTD, Newcastle and Chelsea should never have been allowed in the 1st place.
This is the more pressing question. It was always bound to blow up in the faces of those who are in charge, although I don’t think anyone expected it would take what’s currently happening for that to happen.

The Saudis and Abu Dhabi should never have been allowed in this league, and neither should a Russian oligarch. The hedge fund owners are disgusting for various reasons. But owners that commit human rights violations get the whole whataboutism argument and it’s really quite indefensible. Some things are bigger than football. Although evidently not to the people whose pockets get lined.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
The amount of wishful thinking and denial of Abramovich’s long and extensive links to the post glasnost Russian kleptocracy and the entire tenure of Putin by sportswashed Chelsea fans on here is nothing short of hilarious.

This is Alexei Navalny’s list of 35 Russian oligarchs who were instrumental in the running and propping up of Putin’s state, and the poisoning and imprisonment of navalny. Guess who is number 1 on this list?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navalny_35

This is his ally Vladimir Ashurkov’s further pruned list of the 8 biggest criminals in that galley of 35. Again, a prominent name makes number 1 on the list -

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021...remlin-critics-top-8-sanctions-targets-a72647

These two lists by Putin‘s jailed main opposition leader are the template for the oligarchs Biden is currently being asked by bipartisan groups in Congress to target for sanctions -

https://nypost.com/2022/02/25/house-group-demands-sanctions-on-russias-navalny-35/

Same applies in this country. Boris Johnson’s template for who to go for next? Yep, it’s navalny’s list -

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...o-widen-sanctions-on-more-oligarchs-in-london
Just to add some more to this.

Ashurkov's list and Navalny's are one and the same. Ashurkov does not have his own list so to speak, he is merely suggesting the main 8 according to Navalny. They arent 2 seperate lists by 2 seperate Russian oppos, if that makes sense

Last edited:

cyberman

https://www.jpost.com/international/article-698891

Interesting development - glad to see he's willing to help. Also probably further suggests that Abramovich isn't within Putin's tight circle at the moment.
Surely this proves the opposite? I’m not sure Putin would negotiate with someone he has fallen out with?
Or another view is why bring in Roman if he never had influence with Putin?
It’s all so fecking murky.

sangria

This is the more pressing question. It was always bound to blow up in the faces of those who are in charge, although I don’t think anyone expected it would take what’s currently happening for that to happen.

The Saudis and Abu Dhabi should never have been allowed in this league, and neither should a Russian oligarch. The hedge fund owners are disgusting for various reasons. But owners that commit human rights violations get the whole whataboutism argument and it’s really quite indefensible. Some things are bigger than football. Although evidently not to the people whose pockets get lined.
I don't think I've ever seen any hedge fund owners get the sportswashing treatment. They're tolerated by their clubs' fans at best, and any criticism of them by the fans of other clubs would more likely than not be met with agreement.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Surely this proves the opposite? I’m not sure Putin would negotiate with someone he has fallen out with?
From the article:
"Rodnyansky said that while Abramovich’s “influence is limited”, he was the only person he knew of who agreed in Russia to the Ukrainian request. “I don’t know if there will be impact but we know Zelensky’s staff and I am from the Ukraine and they are grateful for the efforts,” he said."

I don't think anyone with direct ties to Putin would agree to requests for help from Ukraine right now - perhaps I'm wrong though. It seems to me the most likely scenario is that Kiev has been trying to ask prominent Russians for assistance in reaching out? As you say though, it's absolutely very murky and this is speculation on my part.

TheReligion

Abusive
https://www.jpost.com/international/article-698891

Interesting development - glad to see he's willing to help. Also probably further suggests that Abramovich isn't within Putin's tight circle at the moment.
I can see the sentiment but for me it highlights the fact he still holds political influence.

Funny he’s now brokering a deal with governments a day after trying to distance himself from Chelsea to prevent sanctions.

Whatever the intention it simply highlights he has been and clearly is an oligarch.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I can see the sentiment but for me it highlights the fact he still holds political influence.

Funny he’s now brokering a deal with governments a day after trying to distance himself from Chelsea to prevent sanctions.

Whatever the intention it simply highlights he has been and clearly is an oligarch.
I think it's helpful to note that he answered a request from the Ukrainians and his influence is said to be limited but of course Ukraine will accept any help they can get. We obviously do not know the extent of Abramovich and Putin's current relationship and all of this could just be PR by Abramovich, but I'm going to treat the info with a equal dose of both fairness and scepticism until more information is available.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
He obviously has some influence on Putin but how much that actually is, is anyones guess. No one knows for sure how deep their relationship goes or how healthy it is. Even if theyve had disagreements in the past, it’s not inconceivable that 2 grown men can communicate regarding other issues.

But again, it’s laughable how the only Russian with some political influence who is willing to help, is still being vilified. So far the only confirmed facts surrounding the invasion and Roman is that his daughter doesn’t agree and that he is trying to find a peaceful solution. Anyone trying to spin that is simply delusional.

cyberman

He obviously has some influence on Putin but how much that actually is, is anyones guess. No one knows for sure how deep their relationship goes or how healthy it is. Even if theyve had disagreements in the past, it’s not inconceivable that 2 grown men can communicate regarding other issues.

But again, it’s laughable how the only Russian with some political influence who is willing to help, is still being vilified. So far the only confirmed facts surrounding the invasion and Roman is that his daughter doesn’t agree and that he is trying to find a peaceful solution. Anyone trying to spin that is simply delusional.
But why are you asking judgement on this so soon? He’s being vilified for being Putins favourite son and building his wealth upon the corpses of others. Saying he isn’t political a day ago and then seeing him fly in to break peace in a fecking war doesn’t mesh together and it’s not oh look, he was a good guy all along scenario for me.
The redemption of Abramovich was always going to go into overdrive so don’t drink the cool aid too early. He might have offered his services, Ukraine accepts and then it’s spun as Ukraine have reached out to Abramovich for world peace.
There’s no delusion about this. Believing propaganda in this week of all weeks is mind numbingly stupid

TheReligion

Abusive
I think it's helpful to note that he answered a request from the Ukrainians and his influence is said to be limited but of course Ukraine will accept any help they can get. We obviously do not know the extent of Abramovich and Putin's current relationship and all of this could just be PR by Abramovich, but I'm going to treat the info with a equal dose of both fairness and scepticism until more information is available.
That’s fair and you’ve been very balanced I must say. You see my point though and how it looks?

TheReligion

Abusive

Your head is deeply buried in the sand sadly

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I think it's pretty obvious...

Fluctuation0161

Firstly the tweet quote doesn't match the content of the article. Which doesn't present evidence Abramovich is connected to the Russian government and responsible in any way for Ukraine...

Secondly, the article does make points about where Abramovich got his money from. Which we know already, Soviet assets were sold off below true value, to cut a long story short. It has nothing to do with the current crisis.

More importantly, money from countries around the world has been generated in this way. If you know the right people, especially China, other Asian couny pretty much all the middle East, Africa and South America.

Thirdly, the quote tweet is simply stiring more Russophobia. We've already seen a call in parliament to kick out all Russians from the UK, regardless of guilt for anything at all!

How long till Russians have to wear an armband in public so they can be identified and vilified?

Does evidence of wrong doing matter?
FFS. Give it a rest.

Your club owner is bent. He's in with the Russian government. How do you think he got his money? Why do you think he invested in Chelsea? Stop trying to deflect.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
He’s lost the plot over this
Football tribalism is an odd thing at times but entertaining when it’s actually about football. When fans start entering the territory of PR spin for human rights abusers it’s gone too far. You can tell he’s looking for any grain of sand to paint his oligarch in a better light.

From a football point of view, an overhaul is required. The fit and proper owners test is a joke.

TheReligion

Abusive
Football tribalism is an odd thing at times but entertaining when it’s actually about football. When fans start entering the territory of PR spin for human rights abusers it’s gone too far. You can tell he’s looking for any grain of sand to paint his oligarch in a better light.

From a football point of view, an overhaul is required. The fit and proper owners test is a joke.
Some things are much more important than football and a few in here have let themselves down.

I totally agree with you. RA has propelled Chelsea to success so I understand the gratitude they owe him but even still. Take off the blinkers.