Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

Not a plastic hoe.

FFS. Give it a rest.

Your club owner is bent. He's in with the Russian government. How do you think he got his money? Why do you think he invested in Chelsea? Stop trying to deflect.
Acting like the Glazers are any better. Most of them are bent.
Where was this energy with psg, man city, newcastle and our owners as well.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I can see the sentiment but for me it highlights the fact he still holds political influence.

Funny he’s now brokering a deal with governments a day after trying to distance himself from Chelsea to prevent sanctions.

Whatever the intention it simply highlights he has been and clearly is an oligarch.
Don't disagree with any of that - I just don't think he's a member of Putin's innermost circle at this point, and that the fact that he's been asked by the Ukrainians to help highlights that. Of course this is largely speculation, but I'd argue that the UK government opting to not include him in sanctions thus far is telling. Then again they'd have to accept a lot of culpability to do so so perhaps that's a moot point!

Certainly I'd support a referendum on dodgy owners and would never deny that Abramovich should be included in that contingent. Overhauling the standards by which owners are deemed fit and proper should be a priority.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That’s fair and you’ve been very balanced I must say. You see my point though and how it looks?
For sure. I see what you mean and I'll back anyone questions the state of things. Abramovich, more than most, deserves the scrutiny and a press release put out by his spokesperson does nothing to change my view of him.

marktan

He's been asked by Ukraine - says his PR team. That could mean anything. Zelenksy? Or some random Ukrainian that Ambramovich knows?

It's very likely that his PR team realised that Saturday's release didn't go down very well, and now are looking to put out new PR pieces. The Russian Oligarchs are masters of PR and using their legal teams to sue anyone that makes them look bad - look at all the trouble Usmanov went to with Wikipedia.

If he does do anything useful then great, but I'm not going to hold my breath that this is anything more than PR to try and quell the anger over the oligarchs and the calls to seize their UK assets. Don't forget that this is the same guy that acquired his wealth in his 20s and 30s by getting Russian state companies on the cheap and then participated in the Aluminium wars where many died. How do you manage to come out of all of that with wealth, unless you've done some seriously dodgy shit? He maintains his wealth by being close to Putin and he's not going to jeopardise that. It all comes back down to money for him.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
FFS. Give it a rest.

Your club owner is bent. He's in with the Russian government. How do you think he got his money? Why do you think he invested in Chelsea? Stop trying to deflect.
Maybe actually read my previous post?

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
I can see the sentiment but for me it highlights the fact he still holds political influence.

Funny he’s now brokering a deal with governments a day after trying to distance himself from Chelsea to prevent sanctions.

Whatever the intention it simply highlights he has been and clearly is an oligarch.
He‘s a crook, a criminal and is fooling no-one with his supposed efforts to broker a peace deal with the ukrainians.

He was at the front of the queue when it came to stealing Russia’s vast state owned resources for pennies to the pound, cosying up to and financially/politically supporting Putin for two decades to hold onto his stolen wealth, then buying a football club to both sportswash his image and try and insulate himself from Putin’s wrath by improving his profile in the west should the latter have decided he was dispensable like so many other oligarchs before him.

Any Chelsea fan who is capable of thinking critically and dispassionately about the situation should be able to put aside their club loyalties and see this, as the rest of the world can.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Football tribalism is an odd thing at times but entertaining when it’s actually about football. When fans start entering the territory of PR spin for human rights abusers it’s gone too far. You can tell he’s looking for any grain of sand to paint his oligarch in a better light.

From a football point of view, an overhaul is required. The fit and proper owners test is a joke.

It's really got nothing to do with football.

When you start going after people because of their nationality, rather than because they're guilty of something. You're in big trouble!

If Abramovich is guilty of something, let evidence be presented and him dealt with. Especially in regards to Ukraine!

It's been going on for centuries, persecution let by ferverent mass hysteria. From witches at Salem to Jews in the 30s.

The difference is I can see it and you're part of the hysterical group!

TheReligion

Abusive

When you start going after people because of their nationality, rather than because they're guilty of something. You're in big trouble!

If Abramovich is guilty of something, let evidence be presented and him dealt with. Especially in regards to Ukraine!

It's been going on for centuries, persecution let by ferverent mass hysteria. From witches at Salem to Jews in the 30s.

You’re talking complete and utter shit. You surely can’t be that ignorant and unaware of what’s going on and why sanctions are in place.

Hughie77

You could see, it was a bit out of the blue, shows now its rubbish. Watch this space then Roman.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
You’re talking complete and utter shit. You surely can’t be that ignorant and unaware of what’s going on and why sanctions are in place.
Can you be ignorant enough to realise that tarring 144.1 million people with the same brush might be dangerous?

Who will be next I wonder? We've already seen incredible persecution and suspension of civil liberties across countries recently.

You do realise most Russians have done nothing?

As I said if there's evidence, go after Abramovich or any of them.

Or he's guilty along with any of them because they happen to be Russian?

TheReligion

Abusive
Can you be ignorant enough to realise that tarring 144.1 million people with the same brush might be dangerous?

Who will be next I wonder? We've already seen incredible persecution and suspension of civil liberties across countries recently.

As I said you’re either being deliberately obtuse or you really are completely and utterly clueless. Which is it?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
As I said you’re either being deliberately obtuse or you really are completely and utterly clueless. Which is it?
Neither, I'm just stating some rather basic principles on how fair and just societies used to operate.

No longer I guess.

But don't be surprised when whatever group you're part of is next.

Be you Russian, Chinese, Black, Jewish or whatever.

When you go down the road of villyfying people based on prejudice, not because of evidence they've done something wrong.

That is the inevitable result.

TheReligion

Abusive
Neither, I'm just stating some rather basic principles on how fair and just societies used to operate.

No longer I guess.

When you go down the road of villyfying people based on prejudice, not because of evidence they've done something wrong.

You’re totally missing the point again.

You’re actually just trying to deflect which is rather sad.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
You’re totally missing the point again.

You’re actually just trying to deflect which is rather sad.
Deflecting from the evidence you're presenting Abramovich is guilty of something?

In which case throw the book at him. Let him be judged on it.

Or deflecting from the fact it's prejudice driving the condemnation of him, for the moment anyway, prejudice due to him being born a Russian citizen.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

And the club which is i find very disappointing.

Let's just say for argument sake for one second that Roman is complicit in this to whatever degree (which ofcourse if it turns out to be true should get the book thrown at him as you said) we're on a forum where the hosts should be the most understanding of the "one bad apple doesn't make the whole club bad" thing, even if the one on this case would turn out to be the owner.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

No longer I guess.

Seems like only way people will believe in Roman, he must be poisoned by Putin. Then most will take that as evidence he is no longer in Putin s circle nowadays.

cyberman

Deflecting from the evidence you're presenting Abramovich is guilty of something?

In which case throw the book at him. Let him be judged on it.

Or deflecting from the fact it's prejudice driving the condemnation of him, for the moment anyway, prejudice due to him being born a Russian citizen.
No, it’s being an Oligarch. Nobody is after him because he is simply Russian.
Utter nonsense

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
No, it’s being an Oligarch. Nobody is after him because he is simply Russian.
Utter nonsense
He is not running around mate. He just resigned as a owner because this frenzy feeling towards him made difficult for club to operate normally. He is still running his businesses all over the world say something that he is not running away.

If there was chance to freeze his asset legally I think government would have done already.

cyberman

He is not running around mate. He just resigned as a owner because this frenzy feeling towards him made difficult for club to operate normally. He is still running his businesses all over the world say something that he is not running away.

If there was chance to freeze his asset legally I think government would have done already.
He has resigned from nothing and the seizures haven’t even begun yet

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

No longer I guess.

I agree with what you're saying, due process is so important nowadays because social media can turn anybody guilty in the most important court, the people. The judicial system often comes secondary and while a suspicion of guilt makes the first page, an innocence is often relegated to the back ones.

The thing with Abramovich, and I'm very ignorant on the matter so I'm also puzzled by all of this, is that he immediately took this action, and then made it public which had a full blown Streisand effect, so it tells me that there's smoke here he's trying to put out before it turns into a fire, and it looks to have massively backfired, no pun intended.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's hard to understand what's going on here.

Is Abramovich under greater scrutiny because he is directly complicit in Putin's invasion of Russia?

Is he under greater scrutiny because he has some special access to Putin right now, and this pressure may force him to, I dunno, kill Putin and end the war?

Is he under greater scrutiny because he is/was simply an oligarch? If so, was it cool to be an oligarch with your money swimming inside Kensington before the Ukraine invasion?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
He has resigned from nothing and the seizures haven’t even begun yet
There is always contingency plans especially like persons like him. I will be surprised if he get sanctioned hereafter.

I think he is still trying to work his way out completely from Putin regime. Not even him imagined this present scenario in my opinion.

What stopped western governments to sanction him already? Do they wait for good time to come to sanction him?

I don't think western goverments have enough evidence to put him as close mate for Putin.

Last edited:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

Is Abramovich under greater scrutiny because he is directly complicit in Putin's invasion of Russia?

Is he under greater scrutiny because he has some special access to Putin right now, and this pressure may force him to, I dunno, kill Putin and end the war?

Is he under greater scrutiny because he is/was simply an oligarch? If so, was it cool to be an oligarch with your money swimming inside Kensington before the Ukraine invasion?
1) I think that some people suspect he is and have found him guilty of it without the evidence.

2) Not sure that killing Putin will be enough for some people.

3) Being an Oligrach is just a crutch they're using to try and support there arguments.

I think any sane person would obviously say, if he is directly complicit then throw the book at him and take all his assets.

Problem is some people think there is obvious evidence that he is some massive inside man with Putin which contradicts the court cases he has won and how he has been excluded thus far from any sanctions.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
1) I think that some people suspect he is and have found him guilty of it without the evidence.

3) Being an Oligrach is just a crutch they're using to try and support there arguments.

I think any sane person would obviously say, if he is directly complicit then throw the book at him and take all his assets.

Problem is some people think there is obvious evidence that he is some massive inside man with Putin which contradicts the court cases he has won and how he has been excluded thus far from any sanctions.
May be for him not get sanctioned because he has ties with west and as well as Putin. Recent reports of him being middleman to broker deal between Russia and Ukraine added weight to this argument. God only knows who he really is.

I am grateful to him for what he did for Chelsea and it's community. I will only change my opinion about him if proven he is guilty and close aide to Putin.

Classical Mechanic

If the West are going to go after Russian dirty money then the net is closing on him. He’s always been on the run from his past.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
May be for him not get sanctioned because he has ties with west and as well as Putin. Recent reports of him being middleman to broker deal between Russia and Ukraine added weight to this argument. God only knows who he really is.

I am grateful to him for what he did for Chelsea and it's community. I will only change my opinion about him if proven he is guilty and close aide to Putin.
I'm not as clued up about his role in Russia and Russian politics as others are, but he's been funding the illegal settlements in Palestine for years and that alone is enough to know he likes to use his wealth for evil and dislike him immensely for it.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not as clued up about his role in Russia and Russian politics as others are, but he's been funding the illegal settlements in Palestine for years and that alone is enough to know he likes to use his wealth for evil and dislike him immensely for it.
West as a whole forever guilty for crime against Palestine. Not only him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Wait, wait wait...are some in this thread trying to argue that Abromovich is clean and has nothing to do with Putin?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
If the West are going to go after Russian dirty money then the net is closing on him. He’s always been on the run from his past.
I think biggies from West too took their share of dirty money from Russia in my opinion at that time. So why all the oligarches able to find their way to establish their business at West too. If they go that far then many biggies from West too will feel the heat.

SirScholes

Hahaha mate he’s full on bent, comparing him to “witches” and Jews in the 30s is the one of the funniest things I’ve ever read on here

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

Taking my Chelsea goggles off and bias aside, if he is found guilty then he deserves everything coming his way. Of course.

But as you point out, there is surely a reason he continues to be left off of all the sanction lists. He won a court case proving he wasn't Putin's inside man, or one of his close pals, and also that his purchase of Chelsea had nothing to do with Putin or any Russian pressure. The book author themselves admitted they had no evidence of it, and just went by the word of one man, no one else corroborated his story when they investigated.

The EU have drawn up a list - obviously could be altered- which includes Usmanov at Everton, but again no Abramovich.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60542877?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=621d3314ec502b53cd4802ab&EU lobs sanctions at Russia's most powerful&2022-02-28T21:14:25.672Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:35b7ab75-baa8-4b5d-86e6-a66b86993edb&pinned_post_asset_id=621d3314ec502b53cd4802ab&pinned_post_type=share

Im half tempted to believe todays news of him having a phone call from Zelezny's office asking to help and agreeing is PR, as the UK govt are not going to sanction an apparent international peace broker.

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Wait, wait wait...are some in this thread trying to argue that Abromovich is clean and has nothing to do with Putin?
No.

Well, I'm not, at least.

But literally nothing has changed between now and probably 5 years back with regards to Abramovich's finances and his ties to Putin. Nothing for the worse at least, that I am aware of.

Better late than never I guess, but anything short of an investigation into how any dirty money was allowed to enter and circulate in Europe's financial systems without serious scrutiny until now, complete with fines for institutions and jail time for complicit actors... sounds very witch-hunty and arbitrary and driven by public outrage, which is not how things should be done.

Classical Mechanic

Better late than never I guess, but anything short of an investigation into how any dirty money was allowed to enter and circulate in Europe's financial systems without serious scrutiny until now, complete with fines for institutions and jail time for complicit actors... sounds very witch-hunty and arbitrary and driven by public outrage, which is not how things should be done.
It’s to turn powerful Russians against Putin by threatening their wealth and status. The idea is that it could help depose Mad Vlad. Of course we are hypocritical and he becomes a pawn but it’s a lever of power in this conflict.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Well, I'm not, at least.
Wasn't referring to you.
Personally don't even think its a big deal. Pretty sure he has nothing to do with the invasion of Ukraine. In fact the oligarchs are the last people who would want this.
However, he and other oligarchs are in part responsible for a system that has allowed Putin successfully become a despot for so long.
Very few oligarchs are actually under sanction, I expect it to remain that way.