Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

Fluctuation0161

The United States of America, Australia and British Government invaded Iraq and hundreds of thousands were killed including civilians women and children. There were no apologies when they can't find any WMDS. Instead, they proceed to steal hundreds of billions of oil from Iraq leaving the country and it's people in deep hardship. Much worse than what's happening in Ukraine now. I can't remember a single sanction from the western countries.
Well, I can't argue with this.

Also Afghanistan, Libya etc.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Nike apparently wanted to continue with us. Kudos to them. They will honour the contract for 15 year 60 mn deal we signed.

Gandalf

That's the problem of being too eager to appear clever. You are still missing the point.
The UK government doesn't have the moral high ground to do this bogus sanction shit and claim they are doing it out of some moral desire to stand with Ukraine. Not when they and their allies invaded Iraq illegally under false pretenses in the recent past. Plus are all gladly in business with interests from Saudi Arabia, currently fecking up Yemen in more brutal fashion than anything Russia has done in Ukraine thus far. Not to mention what happened to the late Jamal Kashoogi. Newcastle was just bought by such interests. The UK government still doesn't give a shit. This is just them scoring cheap geo political points. Period. Not a thing remotely praise worthy.
I broadly agree with what you are saying but this still is playing into the misconception that this is being done for moral or ethical reasons. There is a simple reason why this is happening now and why Roman is being targeted and it is because Putin has a gun pointing at all of our heads and the Western governments are trying to fight back without taking military action which would escalate the conflict. If they can squeeze enough of the Russian elite they are hoping that their collective fear of Putin will be overcome and he will be deposed internally.

If the actions of the Saudis threatened our security then we would do the same thing but the Saudis have no interest in military conquest in Europe and so they are given a pass. The invasion of Crimea is proof of this in that at that time we were convinced that Putin's ambitions extended no further than taking back what has been disputed territory and so believing no greater threat existed we tutted loudly but did the square root of nothing about his actions. Putin's actions then and in many other situations over the last 20 years were illegal and immoral but we liked his cheap gas and oil and did not see him as a threat to NATO members so we took no action.

We now realize Putin has been emboldened and has proven that by going far further than we thought he would in invading the Ukraine and the realization has dawned that he will not stop until he is confronted and the cost of that confrontation grows the longer we delay. Those closest to Putin firmly believe that if you confront him with force he will not back down due to his intensely macho personality and by extension if he is losing a military conflict he is vain and insane enough to launch a preemptive nuclear strike. The only weapon to combat him with that avoids confrontation is to make life so utterly unbearable for the Russian people and those closest to him that he is removed from within before he destroys us all. Hence sanctions.

None of the above alters the fact that he could slaughter a thousand children a day and so long as we were convinced he was happy to inflict his atrocities solely on the people of the Ukraine and was no threat to us we would focus on the cost of oil and do nothing else.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Nike apparently wanted to continue with us. Kudos to them. They will honour the contract for 15 year 60 mn deal we signed.
and Trivago. Three is also a "suspension", key word. They havent ended the deal.

Clearly the govt want a quick sale, too. And so do these sponsors

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Nike confirms its commitment to Chelsea

Nike remains committed to its partnership with Chelsea, The Athletic understands. Shirt sponsors Three announced it was suspending its deal with the Stamford Bridge club on Thursday. The telecommunications company asked for its logo to be removed from Chelsea’s playing kit after Roman Abramovich was sanctioned by the UK government. Abramovich was hit with sanctions on Thursday morning by the UK government, with Chelsea protected by a government license.

Described by the UK government as a “pro-Kremlin oligarch”, Abramovich has been sanctioned with an asset freeze and a travel ban. However, sources close to kit makers Nike have told The Athletic it is maintaining its relationship with Chelsea. There had been concerns over a deepening financial black hole at Chelsea if Nike dropped the club, as the deal is worth around £900 million over 15 years.

Chelsea signed a 15-year kit deal with Nike in 2016, which is reported to be worth an estimated £60m a season. Nike does not comment on the figures involved. Nike produces Chelsea’s match kits, training gear and replica kits which are sold to fans.

https://theathletic.com/news/nike-t...-deal-amid-abramovich-sanctions/ls17o7jyuR0L/

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
So what is the worse case scenario in this for Chelsea
9 point deduction, or total collapse and liquidated. Seriously. But only if club is not sold by May 31st, which realistically, it will be. Soon as its sold sanctions removed toward club

Already talk of the tickets now being allowed to be sold, but some or all of money goes to Ukraine fund. Seen rumours that the matchday allowance of 20k will be raised, or even removed.

And, Raine group are still going to oversee the sale via a special gov license, but the govt will take control of proceeds.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
Have you seen why? They want to make sure we only spend our money on what the govt have said we can, in the sanctions. And to clairfy the sanction list.

Im not sure it needed to be frozen just for that
I’m not surprised they don’t trust the club personally knowing who the owner is and how he was trying to slither out of it the other week.

Ibn Battuta

Supports
Chelsea
British media are some sensionalist bastards. With the Daily Mail the prize donkey of them all. Hyperbole headline after hyperbole headline.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Premier league try to deduct 9 points from Chelsea to make top 4 lot more interesting. :lol: .

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
They’re sinking lower and lower.
This was done at the very start of the sanctions. Banks will always make sure they are adhering to all laws. The government has been meeting with Chelsea all day today to put together a plan for daily expenditures. Most of these were handled by these accounts. reading all the articles from reputable news sources is showing the government is going out if its way to make sure the the Club is damaged the least possible by this.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Won't be long before the Swiss-American consortium drops out.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Won't be long before the Swiss-American consortium drops out.

I was just reading a Twitter thread from Andy Saunders, fellow CFC fan, who worked with Nick Candy, or met him a few times. Ideally, Candy stays well away on second thoughts

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
So how are they going to pay the staff wages?
It will be arranged mate. Under new license we will get from government we will get back that account. It is to stop Roman to get the benifits. And this government still think Roman will want or need this money. :lol:Comical overall.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So how's this going to pan out? Club gets sold and Roman gets no money? An opportunity to pay back the money to the Russian people.

I keep waiting for clubs being sanctioned owned by Americans who have positive relations with their imperial government. As well as Newcastle of course..

FPL addict

Supports
Leeds Utd
The United States of America, Australia and British Government invaded Iraq and hundreds of thousands were killed including civilians women and children. There were no apologies when they can't find any WMDS. Instead, they proceed to steal hundreds of billions of oil from Iraq leaving the country and it's people in deep hardship. Much worse than what's happening in Ukraine now. I can't remember a single sanction from the western countries.

Iraq invaded Kuwait.

Who did Ukraine invade ?

Ludicrous comparison.

No. But your replies are proof you aren't even playing at it.

That's the problem of being too eager to appear clever. You are still missing the point.
No, I'm not.

You gave an absolutely terrible example, asking why American Premier League owners weren't sanctioned for a war that the UK themselves were in. Does it really hurt you deep down to just say "fair play, shit example" and continue to then make what is a valid point?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I was just reading a Twitter thread from Andy Saunders, fellow CFC fan, who worked with Nick Candy, or met him a few times. Ideally, Candy stays well away on second thoughts
I saw that. It's just one person's anecdotes though. I read some rather dubious things on twitter about that Boehly bloke too. They're all like that. You won't find squeaky clean billionaire out there.

Gandalf

As we usually do, this freezing of the bank is not alongside the sanctions, it's to clarify what we can spend. Itll be removed in a few days, if that.
Well how you usually do has involved Roman stumping up the extra to cover the wage bill most months as your club does not generate enough income to pay its expenses. With Roman out of the picture it is likely to be pretty complicated moving forward as even with a sale I imagine the new owners will want the club to be self sustaining and at this moment in time there is not a bank in the world that is going to extend credit to help you meet payroll.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
At least Rio ferdinand talked for us , "It's not any more about abromovich but direct attack on Chelseafc"

AFC NimbleThumb

I dont know why they found it necessary to sing a song for him at all. I guess its different when your owner is your sugardaddy. When another club supporters sing about their owner it is usually to complain and all that negative stuffs.
The sang because he’s bigger than the club. Chelsea’s whole identity is now built on his contributions.
Apt considering their business model is very much based on not overstaying your welcome.
:lol:

mu4c_20le

British media are some sensionalist bastards. With the Daily Mail the prize donkey of them all. Hyperbole headline after hyperbole headline.
Their top story is how Tuchel is TOO GOOD for Chelsea :lol: (and a rightful stab at tone deaf Terry)

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Their top story is how Tuchel is TOO GOOD for Chelsea :lol: (and a rightful stab at tone deaf Terry)
I read that article. Its just a pile on for the sake of piling on. It brings nothing interesting to the table. Just a big whinge to feed into the hysteria. I've read far better critiques of Chelsea in random twitter threads.

Not a plastic hoe.

Poor players who get to keep playing, coaches who get to keep coaching and supporters who get to keep watching (rumoured to be a way they can buy away tickets from the home teams)?
Really? Players who are getting disturbed by all of this and will be impacted later on the season if these sanctions continue, these players will be trapped as there are no transfer deals to be done, there are no ticket sales ANYMORE only the season ticket holders will be able to watch/support their team. There are news already of the club letting go of staff, my mate's cousin works there and basically everyone have just been informed with the sanctions when it was publicly announced and now there are plans that if Abramovich refuses to write off/walk off the entire sale deal the club will be in administration meaning everyone working there players, coaches and others will be impacted.
The club's banks' accounts are frozen as of today they can't even get fuel for their buses. If these licenses were to continue to take place everyone working there is fecked and I just don't see what benefit does this bring to stopping the dumb midget from continuing his invasion. Have some consideration for normal people who have nothing to do with this shite and are just getting scapegoated by the dumb Tory government who are using this as a point scoring scheme to wow the public when they continue to fail actual Ukrainian people.
I do hope that if the sale was to go through and Roman agrees not to take a penny out of it and save his club...I do hope the greedy tories really give the profit to Ukrainians in need because by past examples this was not always the case.
This, very disappointing to see something as serious as war being used to score points with football supporters.
Agreed mate it has become ridiculous at this point. The same government that allowed the Saudis and Emiratis to buy and operate clubs in their country despite their war crimes against Yemeni people. The same government that supplies these countries with weapons by the way. The same tory party that was backed by Russian money. The same government who have yet to accept visas by Ukrainians fleeing their country and making application processes tougher than ever.The same government that continues to buy Russian gas.
While we are it where was this energy given to owners of of our club then? The same glazers who backed/supported Bush's invasion of Iraq, FSG and his support for Trump, Bournmouth and Everton's owners and as I mentioned before man city and newcastle owners.