Romano : Ole Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greck

What's the expectation for the rest of the season then, if you get a new manager in? Say for arguments sake, it's Zidane or Rodgers.
Depends on the new manager. Good tactical philosophy + new manager bounce= might even win something.

Damon1559

Reading through this thread would nearly make you feel ashamed to be happy that Ole has been sacked.. I'm sorry to whom this may offend but I am VERY happy that he is gone! I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest and I don't believe that anyone should. He has been here for 3 seasons and spent just shy of half a billion on players and has won nothing at all..
He gave it his best shot and he ultimately failed. Therefor I am more than happy that his run is over and I am now apprehensive for our future management decisions as there aren't any managers out there that fill me with complete confidence in truth, due to our board mainly but that is for another discussion.

I refuse to be told that I should feel sorry or bad for a failing manager, no matter who or what he has done for the club, especially after the embarrassments of our last few games! Some clearly have Ole the manager and Ole the player merged together and they can't escape that to fully realise his failures as a manager here considering the resources afforded to him.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Ole Goner Solskjaer.

The only frustrating thing is it should have been done after liverpool.

I hope Ole doesn’t take this too hard, no doubt he’s hurting right now. I hope we can go on to remember him fondly for the right reasons.
There you go. Where are all the top reds now, telling us to go and support Chelsea because only they knew what was good for club blah fecking blah.

432JuanMata

What's the expectation for the rest of the season then, if you get a new manager in? Say for arguments sake, it's Zidane or Rodgers.
Same as yous when you sacked Lampard. Get CL football and lay down a style. Also like you’s last season we have a CL campaign still which we are not expecting much so. We won’t do anywhere near as well as Chelsea last but top 4 with a style of play will be a step

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Ole Goner Solskjaer.

The only frustrating thing is it should have been done after liverpool.

I hope Ole doesn’t take this too hard, no doubt he’s hurting right now. I hope we can go on to remember him fondly for the right reasons.
Exactly, writing was on the wall then, but our board can't make a decision unless backed into a corner. I only hope now they actually grow some balls and go all out for a proper long term replacement, instead of another caretaker they will inevitably be enamoured with if we get a dead cat bounce.

justboy68

Shame on the board for letting it get so bad before acting. But at least it's over. Unbelievable that they waited until now with 2 days before our next game.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Yea Where are those posters like the mods golden blunder and tomcato and the like with their fake advisarial view points now??
And all the rawk like banning of good posters that don't fit into their mindsets.
You seem to confuse what a forum is. Its a place where you share your opinion.

Are you really someone whose instinct is to go after people instead of contributing something worthwhile?

Djemba-Djemba

I think from Young boys to Watford has maybe been the worst sustained period of form I've ever seen from Utd.

Not just losing every week, but getting hammered every week. 4 goals conceded at Leicester, 4 at Watford, 5 at home to Liverpool, 2 in each game in the CL etc.

432JuanMata

Shame on the board for letting it get so bad before acting. But at least it's over. Unbelievable that they waited until now with 2 days before our next game.
This. Because of leaving it so long we aren’t in a much better place than when Ole took over. Yes the squad is better but we are miles a drift of the top of the league

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think from Young boys to Watford has maybe been the worst sustained period of form I've ever seen from Utd.

Not just losing every week, but getting hammered every week. 4 goals conceded at Leicester, 4 at Watford, 5 at home to Liverpool, 2 in each game in the CL etc.
Perhaps Jose's end, Van Gaal had an awful Christmas, Moyes was more spread out. I suppose this was the worst in terms of time, losses, quality and goals conceded.

Kaos

Maybe it makes me cruel but I'm so happy he is gone. I have no idea what the future holds so we'll see
Nothing cruel about that. You can still adore him as a club legend while being hugely relieved he's being dismissed from a job he clearly wasn't cut out for. I'm sure he's probably somewhat relieved too.

Djemba-Djemba

Perhaps Jose's end, Van Gaal had an awful Christmas, Moyes was more spread out. I suppose this was the worst in terms of time, losses, quality and goals conceded.
Yeah there have been loads of awful periods post Fergie but I really do think this last 3 months or so has been the absolute rock bottom.

We've played reasonably well once, vs a Spurs team who wanted their manager sacked even more than even us, and been absolutely outplayed in every single other game.

It's been remarkable.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
There you go. Where are all the top reds now, telling us to go and support Chelsea because only they knew what was good for club blah fecking blah.
If you're only going to get behind the team when they're winning of course you can go support Chelsea or some other Oligarch club. I'll even buy you a season ticket.

Now we're changing managers. I expect the same amount of vitrol and complaining when that goes south as well.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Last year our main rivals were all in transition/bad year due to injuries. No other team was consistent enough to mount a serious top 4 challenge.

We started horribly (stuffed by Spurs at our own turf), ended badly and our game was nothing short of individual effort and nicking wins.

Our record against the decent sides was also all over the shop and rather negative - lost and drew against Arsenal, two draws against Chelsea, lost and drew Pool, lost and drew against Leicester, lost and won against Spurs and drew and won against City

Basically 2 wins, 6 draws and 4 losses against those sides. It was nothing to brag about.

Current state of affairs:
LB - no depth and Shaw in miserable form, probably even worse than Maguire.
CB - Maguire needs to be replaced if we are to play in a more progressive style
RB - needs to be replaced and no depth at all.
CM - completely overhauled.
CF - Cavani and Ronaldo - both at the end of their careers. It's not Rashford or Greenwood best position and Martial needs to be moved on.
We have probably 4 left wingers that fight for 2 places.
Pogba and Bruno are not ok to play together and Pogba looks off either way.

We have loads of deadwood to ship on fantastic contracts like Martial, Mata, Maguire.. and others that no one will take - Jones, Bailly, Telles, Grant, Henderson, etc..

on top of that one of the greatest wage structures I've seen.
Who was in transition? City were not, were Chelsea? I thought that got blamed on having lampard, and Liverpool lost van dyke and another defender.

either way I wasn’t on about other teams, I was on about us and as you say, we had draws and wins against Liverpool and city, that seems a distant way off to how our games went against them this year, the main debate (and I’m not overly fussed in arguing it) was that this team wasn’t any better than what mourinho left. I just disagree with that even though I can see that positions need fixing.
I appreciate the effort you put into your post though, genuinely.

redmanx

I wasn’t talking about money, just that he has left the club in a better place to move forward from than previous managers. Something you seemingly disagreed with.

he was getting some kind of tune out of these players last year, Shaw was doing well, rashford is just back from a long time out, Bruno and Maguire in dreadful form but have come off decent seasons, it’s not all that bad it just hasn’t happened this year. Hopefully the new maanger can kick on with a good amount of these players and not need a massive overhaul.
I agree. Theres no doubt that Ole had taken this team as far as he could. Last season we finished runners up and all believed we could do even better this season, but it didnt happen. Its pointless trying to put the blame entirely on Ole, his coaching staff or individual players or the squad as a whole, it just wasnt to be. Ole went from hero to zero in a matter of weeks but he is most certainly not entirely to blame and some senior players should ask themselves if they could have done more.

Dante

Average bang
Exactly, writing was on the wall then, but our board can't make a decision unless backed into a corner. I only hope now they actually grow some balls and go all out for a proper long term replacement, instead of another caretaker they will inevitably be enamoured with if we get a dead cat bounce.
Because they felt Ole had a better chance of regaining the momentum that got us 2nd place last season compared to Fletcher creating it from nowhere with no prior managerial experience.

In an ideal world, United would have underperformed and sleepwalked to 4th place under Ole, before appointing a fully vetted long term target like ETH in the summer.

Appointing Fletcher and then replacing him with another caretaker for 6 month is a much bigger set of unknowns and therefore a significant risk in its own right. So it's understandable that the board would want to avoid this option if possible.

Robbo*

He should have gone after the UEFA cup final, total nonsense that we are still dealing with it.

Max_United

Because, in my opinion, he is. The only reasons Rooney even had the chance to get the record are a) we didn't sell him when he demanded we did and b) we didn't get rid of him when he was a complete shell of himself for the final 2 years.
Rooney wanted to leave as he demanded more ambition from the club in the transfer market. He had the right to do so as (1) he was carrying us at the time and (2) in hindsight he has been proved right as our under-investment over the last under Fergie came back to bite us as he left us with a squad consisting mostly of aging stars and mediocre players. Rooney had his faults, but his mentality and ambition was fitting for the club of our size.

Conversely, for all his talk Ole is naturally not very ambitious. He sometimes says things like "anything below 2nd place is not really a success" as a PR exercise and because he feels that such words are expected from him. But in fact he was happy to be a super-sub and thinks that his 3rd and 2nd places and EL final are some sort of achievement that should give him credit in the bank.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Same as yous when you sacked Lampard. Get CL football and lay down a style. Also like you’s last season we have a CL campaign still which we are not expecting much so. We won’t do anywhere near as well as Chelsea last but top 4 with a style of play will be a step
That seems reasonable. I imagine you want some of the basics fixed first before looking ahead to what could be on offer at the end of the season. It's early enough in the season for it not to be a write off.

Robbo*

If you're only going to get behind the team when they're winning of course you can go support Chelsea or some other Oligarch club. I'll even buy you a season ticket.

Now we're changing managers. I expect the same amount of vitrol and complaining when that goes south as well.
that’s not constructive either. It’s all got very complicated in terms of being at games and knowing the manager has to go etc - but I think it’s now clear what needs to happen (and may have already), and hopefully we can move on.

redmanx

Even with his sacking the fan base is still so divided over his legacy. We'll see more in coming months/years but I think we might be in denial as to how much of a rebuild has actually been done in the past few years. As well as some of Ole's signings listed above, I'd forgotten all about Martial and Dalot too, more suspects to add to the list of possible deadwood that still hasn't been cleared.
Clearing the dead wood should be the new managers priority; Martial, Lingard, Pogba, Jones, Baily, Fred, Dalot, should all be shipped out asap.

minoo-utd

Should be done two weeks ago at least to leave a room for the new manager before it’s too crowded agenda!

But still not confirmed!

JB7

My point is that - so what if it's a payday? He has his own pride and ambitions, he won't take a pay and do feck all. He will still do his job best he can for himself. That's fine by me if it wins
"if it wins", it's a massive risk when there is no guarantee of that.

Frankly a club our size shouldn't be begging a manager to take a job.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Tricky one. Can’t really say UCL winners when the new manager might be all but out of it before being hired.

Certainly CL qualification and to play good/cohesive football, if there’s a discernible style and good results then I’d be happy. Quite low expectations but hard to ask someone joining us in November to win the league, and the FA cup is a little bit of a crap shoot.
I can see what you mean. Most of the responses I received were along similar lines, and it's pretty much exactly the boat we found ourselves in when changed manager last season. Interested to see the new guy will be. But there's hope about the unknown ahead.

Greck

Look forward to another Neville rant demanding collateral casualties because his mate got sacked.

Robindinho

Not forgetting the 2 week international break just gone - perfect chance for a change. No, let's do it the game straight after.

Just astounding how badly we're run.

Robbo*

Yep. I was screaming for us to get Nagelsmann before Bayern swooped in, but was laughed at.
at some point, as a guide for further practice, the board should make a list of managers we have missed out on during the last few years. Given the scarcity of really talented ones now it might be a lesson in how (and when) to act decisively.

Enigma_87

You know who
Who was in transition? City were not, were Chelsea? I thought that got blamed on having lampard, and Liverpool lost van dyke and another defender.

either way I wasn’t on about other teams, I was on about us and as you say, we had draws and wins against Liverpool and city, that seems a distant way off to how our games went against them this year, the main debate (and I’m not overly fussed in arguing it) was that this team wasn’t any better than what mourinho left. I just disagree with that even though I can see that positions need fixing.
I appreciate the effort you put into your post though, genuinely.
Chelsea sacked Lampard and Tuchel took over. That experiment didn't catch fire so they were in transition yes. Liverpool's year was a writeoff due to VVD getting injured for the whole year and another injuries creeping in. Spurs were also in transition and Leicester imploded.

Our wins against Pool and City was actually just a win against City which came after we were 12 points behind them in the table. Out of the teams that finished top 8, we only beat West Ham twice....

Winrar

I thought the beginning of 20/21 was bad but this run takes the cake.

passing-wind

Honestly, I hope Ole gets a big fat pay out. He has been hung out to dry by an indecisive board, and doesn't deserve the crap he had to put up with while they dithered.
My goodness he was given 450 million to spend, was continually given the confidence of the board. Underperformed in many fixtures consistently with no consequence. Finished second, Poch did the same thing with a worse Spurs side and gets no credit while Ole gets praises for it same with Mourinho.

Solskjaer has been treated very generously by the pundits especially previous colleagues. I agree the media were very outspoken at times but at the end of the day the success of Solskjaer's tenure as a manager was solely down to his own influences. I'd understand if the board didn't give him the foundation necessary to build but he was given the most resources a very green manager could be given.

The club and fans were patient with Ole, the biggest concern that has ended his reign was his lack of philosophy, vision and coaching. You can't buy those traits they are relative of the managers ethos. Solskjaer should have spent less time focusing on Sir Alex and more time on bringing his own style and leadership into the fold.

Status
Not open for further replies.