4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

If at least a 50m offer came in, i would do it too. Otherwise keep him around for a year, could be useful as a squad player.
Yeah, I'd take £50M for him as well, we massively overpaid to begin with so we are going to have to take a hit regardless.

ravi2

I'd love to see him play inside right.
Why not?
Because we can sell him for around 50m and get someone way better to play inside right... someone who can beat their man, draw defenders and create space (Douglas Costa comes to mind)

Bola

Can't remember seeing him chase down a ball like he did when he won that throw in. Not being an assured starter may just be the motivation he needs to work harder.
He always seemed to wait for things to happen rather than try to make them happen. The need to score or assist to now stake a claim in the starting 11 should force him to be more proactive.
He did it a few times earlier in the season. I recall one occasion where he tracked back and made a tackle near our box.

Usually hard working, but went through that awful spell from around the start of autumn, where he was closer to a statue than a modern striker. The 1st Valencia game was particularly damming

cyberman

Because we can sell him for around 50m and get someone way better to play inside right... someone who can beat their man, draw defenders and create space (Douglas Costa comes to mind)
Costa has little end product these days though.
I also don't think we'd take a loss on Lukaku before the next manager has a look at him.
Sell him and his replacement has to be happy with a bench role which is never going to happen, unless it is Costa which means we don't have any striker options off the bench.
So why not try him in his Belgium role? His crossing is a big attribute of his and we could have goals either side of Marcus which would lessen his burden.

ravi2

Costa has little end product these days though.
I also don't think we'd take a loss on Lukaku before the next manager has a look at him.
Sell him and his replacement has to be happy with a bench role which is never going to happen.
So why not try him in his Belgium role? His crossing is a big attribute of his and we could have goals either side of Marcus which would lessen his burden.
He is cumbersome on the ball, his touch is terrible and he cannot beat his man, I would love to see us buy an actual winger for the RW/RF position... if not Douglas Costa, maybe Pulisic?

Today is was so refreshing to see attacks finally coming from the right wing, like when Rashford crossed for Pogba. It makes us so much harder to defend against. Usually with us, everything comes from the left and it makes us predictable.

cyberman

He is cumbersome on the ball, his touch is terrible and he cannot beat his man, I would love to see us buy an actual winger for the RW/RF position... if not Douglas Costa, maybe Pulisic?

Today is was so refreshing to see attacks finally coming from the right wing, like when Rashford crossed for Pogba. It makes us so much harder to defend against. Usually with us, everything comes from the left and it makes us predictable.
Rashford was our main striker though. He can still do that with Lukaku in the side.
Its how you use Lukaku, I don't think he's much worse than Lingard who plays it safe every other pass and its not as if he cloggs everything up with Hazard, KDB etc for Belgium.
Im of the opinion we have enough up front for another year. Its the defence and holding midfield that needs major surgery this summer. It just isn't the time IMO.

ravi2

Rashford was our main striker though. He can still do that with Lukaku in the side.
Its how you use Lukaku, I don't think he's much worse than Lingard who plays it safe every other pass and its not as if he cloggs everything up with Hazard, KDB etc for Belgium.
Im of the opinion we have enough up front for another year. Its the defence and holding midfield that needs major surgery this summer. It just isn't the time IMO.
I agree a CB and CDM replacement for Matic should be prioritized however I believe we need to buy a winger as well. Ole likes to play with width and we havent had an actual RW in years.

Tiber

I love what we are building with Martial and Rashford. I am even excited to see if Ole can restart Sanchez's career.

Kind of hard to see how Lukaku (particularly his first touch) fits into that style of play. Though yes, I am aware that he scored today.

Crashoutcassius

Why do juve, one of the shrewdest teams in world football, want a player who is championship level and scored 100 jammy premiership goals only through jamminess?

Red Devil's Advocate

I love what we are building with Martial and Rashford. I am even excited to see if Ole can restart Sanchez's career.

Kind of hard to see how Lukaku (particularly his first touch) fits into that style of play. Though yes, I am aware that he scored today.
This is short termism. Lukaku has the potential to improve as he has not peaked yet. His first touch is a recent problem as he was fantastic as a number 9 in his Everton days and is a consistent performer for Belgium. Just a matter of confidence and gaining his fitness and he will be our 20 goals a season man.

Him and Rashford should be rotated in the ST role this season. There are lot of games for everyone to get a chance.

Tiber

This is short termism. Lukaku has the potential to improve as he has not peaked yet. His first touch is a recent problem as he was fantastic as a number 9 in his Everton days and is a consistent performer for Belgium. Just a matter of confidence and gaining his fitness and he will be our 20 goals a season man.

Him and Rashford should be rotated in the ST role this season. There are lot of games for everyone to get a chance.
Not sure that he has ever been fantastic player to be honest. Scores a lot of goals against teams at the bottom of the table, but I have long questioned if he is truly a top level striker. Wasn't fussed when we signed him and he hasn't really convinced me.

Certainly don't welcome talk of rotating a healthy Rashford who looks poised to take his game to the next level. Slowing Rashfords development yet further just to give Lukaku games certainly feels like short termism to me.

I do see why some believe in Lukaku though.

Greck

His first touch was literally the first thing Everton fans warned us off. Called him rubber boots and had their own compilation of his poor touches. Watched a bit of everton and never thought he was fantastic either because he was also prone to missing good chances and was technically shaky. Got on the scoresheet enough for that to be overlooked

el3mel

Mate, this thread was made when we signed him and we mocked it at this time thinking it'll improve here, apparently not.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/lukakus-first-touch.430617/

Velvet Revolver

It's typical mentality of fans these days. When he was at Everton everyone wanted him and said he is still young and raw and at united he will learn and do well. Now that he is out of flavor he is a dud!

PepsiCola

Feel he'll find himself as our second option striker, behind Rashford.

Rashford is a much better footballer, with a much higher ceiling.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Lukaku needs to do rondos 18 hours a day for the next few weeks and may also lean-down as a result.

Canagel

And Martial for Rashford .
It's just style of play. There's no shame in Lukaku not fitting in. He's a solid striker but there's an opportunity for us to go in different direction. I can see hints of 06/07 attack in this team and it's not far from being completed. A front three where each man can score, assist or create something for himself . lukaku is still dependet on service

Last edited:

staniswin

offside but good finish regardless. Squad player now since Rashford has become an obvious first choice

Sterling Archer

His first touch was literally the first thing Everton fans warned us off. Called him rubber boots and had their own compilation of his poor touches. Watched a bit of everton and never thought he was fantastic either because he was also prone to missing good chances and was technically shaky. Got on the scoresheet enough for that to be overlooked
Yeah, you could see the difference in play once he was up top again. But have to say if he were to be okay with being a squad player, it's a handy plan B.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He needs to work on this dribble or at least start using his body to hold the ball and bring others into play, if He wants to be a part of Ole's team.

That being said, He's far from his peak and already scored a lot of goals. Proven goalscorers are expensive these days, regardless if They have a first touch of a bamboo stick. I would send him to Juve in exchange for Dybala though! :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
These 3 games proved to us all how players can be different under different manager. So it is amazing how people writing him off. He is proven striker. And in this formation he will score goals.

lysglimt

Scout
I am convinced that the way we now play football - Lukaku (if we play him) will score close to a goal pr game for us. Despite him being the worst striker in the clubs history (if we are to believe some People in here) - he has still scored 7 goals this season in 17 games. Imagine what he can do now that we are actually creating chances ?

haram

He has only had 23 shots this season. Compared to 51 for Salah and 50 for Kane.

Not as simple as half the shots, half the goals, his all round game needs to improve as well. It was better last year though, he is better than what he has shown this season.

Last edited:

AndyJ1985

I prefer Rashford starting. But Lukaku isn't a bad option to have on the bench.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Lukaku needs to be used as a sub or needs to be sold. Even though he scored yesterday, you could instantly see our build up play was a lot more sloppy as soon as he was involved.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
My prediction - Rom will start against Newcastle with Rashford rested due to groin strain, he'll score a brace or a hat-trick which will put him in contention after the International break, and over the coming games we'll slowly remember that Rashford isn't a natural finisher and often blows big chances as a CF, while Rom (in form) will bury a chance (see yesterday) and he will slowly wrestle the CF position back off Rashford...

Rashford will go back to being played as a right forward and will rotate with Lingard, and we'll settle with a front 3 of more or less...

Rashford/Lingard----Rom----Martial/Sanchez

In short - Rom will get back into the starting 11 as the main CF, we'll all hail Ole for resurrecting his form and he'll end the season as one of the in form PL strikers along with Kane and Aguero (as he does pretty much every season).

ash_86

It's hard to judge with his 20 min cameo against Bournemouth as we were a man down and never going to attack like we did in the first half. I'd still start Rashford ahead of him as we've been clicking much better with him at top. We still need top strikers at the club so i'm all in for having him coming off bench.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Solskjaer comments on Lukaku was very promising. Good chance he won't be used as a target man.

Foxbatt

Rashford now brings a very high intensity to the game. He keeps the central defenders occupied all the time. He is so quick that he can run faster than most CBs. Lukaku is too static and he does not have that pace of Rashford. I do not think Lukaku can dribble like Rashford either. So he is not better than Rashford right now.

DBT85

Rashford now brings a very high intensity to the game. He keeps the central defenders occupied all the time. He is so quick that he can run faster than most CBs. Lukaku is too static and he does not have that pace of Rashford. I do not think Lukaku can dribble like Rashford either. So he is not better than Rashford right now.
For what it's worth, Lukaku was literally the fastest man in our team last season clocking 34.84 kph against Chelsea in February.

Man can get a shift on.

el3mel

For what it's worth, Lukaku was literally the fastest man in our team last season clocking 34.84 kph against Chelsea in February.

Man can get a shift on.
This is the speed measured for one sprint done in one game. It's not an indication of a player is fast or slow imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.