4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beagle

feck his past goal scoring record. Jose has the record of a top manager too. But you have to realize when people are out of their depth and stop persevering with them based on what theh did in the past.

He's a shocking footballer. With the state of his overall game, Lukaku would need to score close to 40 goals a season to justify his selection in a top team that wants to win trophies. But since United are not a top team at the moment he can be a squad option (which he is currently). In the future if the club are to mount a title challenge, Lukaku can't be a starter or even a regular sub. There is no way he can be relied upon to do any of the basic jobs of a center forward properly. He can't score against good defenses and he can't even get a shot off when marked by a decent center back. He has consistently shown that he hates being in touch with the football. And the most damning one is that he can't even help his teammates by pressing. Moving and thinking quickly are completely alien to him. But despite all the negatives he can still be a good 3rd choice forward for a Premier league challenging team if he can cut back on his laziness.

He is only good when he's given plenty of time to control the ball, turn and get a run at the defenders, which happens two or three times a game at best.

The rest of the time he's almost like playing with 10 men because we play the ball to him to hold it but he just can't. It puts pressure on everyone in defence and breaks down any potential counter.

AgentP

I think you're all underestimating his main skill and contribution to the way we play.
His pointing is world class. He's a great pointer.
Especially when he points at his feet. Our players are just not good enough to put the ball exactly where he points.

buckooo1978

thought he looked good in the first half for spells

seemed to link up well and put one really nice ball in from the left

faded badly after that and was anonymous in the second half

montpelier

in fairness, if you are a team where you have less of the ball, can or have to play on the break, where he can isolate opposition players 1 vs 1.

I can imagine he can cause a lot of problems, get his confidence up & so on & so forth.

you don't want to to have the ball played over your head into space & get into a race with him do you? (the average CB doesn't anyway)

midou

There was a moment in the second half when Pogba had the ball on the left wing and the only option was Lukaku. He and the whole stadium knew we are losing the ball right there.

LoneStar

Guy isn't good enough to pay for United. Simple as that.

He worked harder than usual in the first half (which is basically expected), but compared to the likes of Rashford, who was harassing their defence at every opportunity, he usually did feck all.

His movement is still very poor, he should have done something with that Rashford cross near the end. Also Pogba was annoyed with him cause his runs were so poor. Alexis was more of a threat when he came on. Needs to be let go in the summer (while purchasing someone of course)

Fracture90

Think he played well yesterday, was trying and running a lot but he didn't get any service yesterday.

His first touch and passing ability are still atrocious .

Litch

Which metric are you talking about, here? Total goals? Goals/season? Goals/minutes? Because he's not third best on any of those categories right now. Furthermore, here are his goal tallies since WBA:

12/13: 17 goals for WBA
13/14: 15 goals for Everton
14/15: 10 goals for Everton
15/16: 18 goals for Everton
16/17: 25 goals for Everton
17/18: 16 goals for United
18/19: 8* goals for United

Apart from that 16/17 season, he's never crossed the 18 goal mark in the EPL. You have called his last season 'Beast Mode' where he scored 16 league goals for us. For reference, here are the EPL goals of our main goalscorer since RvN:

01/02: 23 - RvN
02/03: 25 - RvN
03/04: 20 - RvN
04/05: 11 - Rooney
05/06: 21 - RvN
06/07: 17 - Ronaldo
07/08: 31 - Ronaldo
08/09: 18 - Ronaldo
09/10: 26 - Rooney
10/11: 20 - Berbatov
11/12: 27 - Rooney
12/13: 26 - RVP

11 of those 12 seasons, Lukaku's 'beast mode' would not be good enough. The only season in that list he'd get into with 16 goals is the only one where we didn't win anything - 04/05.

He cannot be written off while he's still 25, but you have to agree that he needs to turn around his fortunes in an extraordinary manner to establish himself amongst names like RvP, Rooney, Berbatov, Ronaldo or RvN. There is a great gulf in quality between those names and a striker who as of now cannot judge the flight of a long ball, or control it when he finally manages to stand in the right place to receive it.
Wow...if in doubt compare a player to previous Utd forwards. Worse than that, compare him to one of the best players ever to lace a pair of football boots and Utd record goalscorer. If we start comparing players to the previous gen, we are fecked. No he's not the 3rd right now but neither are we and haven't been for sometime.
So you are going to compare Rom's goal scoring at Everton, which incidentally probably kept them out of relegation to Rooney, RVN, CR7 and Berb playing with Becks, Giggs, Keane, Scholes, Stam, Rio, Vidic, Tevez...et al. Yep completely fair comparison.
Ok only scored 16 goals..... in one of the worst Utd teams I've seen for decades with a manager that focused on not conceding that scoring. Yep you are right in the gulf of class but don't stop at Rom, cause 90% of this team wouldn't get in those teams either.
He's a goalscorer and thats what wins matches. Not sure why anyone would want to lose 25 goals a season to bring in someone more technical like the guy everyone wanted that went to Chelsea to score less.

Litch

You lack ambition when it comes to United. It’s very clear! The thing is nobody really hates lukaku but we just know he isn’t the main guy that will bridge the gap between a top 4 team and a title winning/champions league team. He doesn’t have the range/capabilities for the role we bought him for. He is our top 3 highest earner and he can’t get the basics right. Yet you want to praise him for his alleged beast mode against terrible teams while he does feck all against top teams.

At this point I don’t know what it will take to convince you United supporters that lukaku is just not a great fit for the future and what we want from a LEading united striker.
Football the last time I watched it is about scoring goals. If fans want 15 prem goals a season to leave to find a player who will probably score less, then that's fine.....not bothered about scoring against the top teams as not many players do anyway statistically.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
First half he seemed noticeably much more aggressive and energetic, but clearly tired towards the end of the half and 2nd half he was dead by 60.

Unfortunately unless he ups his stamina considerably I don't see him having a future here. His hold up play isn't good enough to be a static target man, and his stamina/movement isn't good enough to be a channel running striker.

Sauldogba

You lack ambition when it comes to United. It’s very clear! The thing is nobody really hates lukaku but we just know he isn’t the main guy that will bridge the gap between a top 4 team and a title winning/champions league team. He doesn’t have the range/capabilities for the role we bought him for. He is our top 3 highest earner and he can’t get the basics right. Yet you want to praise him for his alleged beast mode against terrible teams while he does feck all against top teams.

At this point I don’t know what it will take to convince you United supporters that lukaku is just not a great fit for the future and what we want from a LEading united striker.
Im not saying you do but there are definitely people that hate him.
Even when he has a good game their claws are out.

Me personally i thought he was pretty average.
On the ball he was very poor and he didnt link up well at all but he put in a shift.
Tracked back,done his defensive duties on corners and pressed their defenders very well.

I cant have a go at him today because we beqt Chelsea in an Fa cup game that has taken us into the quarter finals.

ArjenIsM3

We should just shunt him out wide. When he loses another couple of pounds and gets his pace back he'd be a real threat from the right. His crossing is pretty good too, has shown that many times now. Yesterday for example that ball in from the left towards Rashford was very good. Luiz only just managed to get a foot to it to turn it away for a corner, or it would have been a simple tap in for Rashford.

soapythecat

Watching the game last night made me aware of the limitations of Lukaku. He is not suited to our style of football under OGS, not even the system we played last night. But, I do think he would be ideal in the Chelsea system that they play. Not that Sarri will be there long enough to try and buy him, but for all Lukaku is no good for us at the moment, he is very useful for many teams.
Quite like the guy, but wouldn't be upset to see him leave in the summer.

Bola

Assuming we stop have the same injuries on Sunday and employ the diamond, wpuld anyone select Lukaku?

I think he did better yesterday and it was possibly his 2nd best performance under OGS (Arsenal 1st), but it wasn't a performance that nails down a place. I'd be minded to start Sanchez- he still has stuff to prove like Rom, but he offers more ability to retain the ball and bring others into play

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
@Litch you have to make your mind up, you said Lukaku was a 3rd best striker in the league, when someone calls you out on that nonsense you reply by saying , he obviously isn’t too 3 at the moment? So when was he? And shouldn’t we be talking about the now?
Also that we’ve all seen his beast mode?? I must have missed that season.

Also earlier you going on about posters having agendas against Pogba, lingard, Sanchez and lumping that in with the Lukaku hate and wanting them all sold. Not true, I’ve never wanted those sold and could see their quality.

Lukaku isn’t at the standard required, simple as that. No agendas, no narrative, no fanboism just plain old dislike for what the player can bring to the team

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

On the ball he was very poor and he didnt link up well at all but he put in a shift.
Tracked back,done his defensive duties on corners and pressed their defenders very well.

I cant have a go at him today because we beqt Chelsea in an Fa cup game that has taken us into the quarter finals.
Who are these people? Tag them or stop talking nonsense. People call out Lukaku shit touch, bad work rate and overall the lack of what he brings to the team. Simple really.

Trizy

Played well. Would've scored too after bursting his balls only for Rashford has no left foot :lol:.

1 half decent game in a season doesn't cut it though.

Shark

@NotShark
We should just shunt him out wide. When he loses another couple of pounds and gets his pace back he'd be a real threat from the right. His crossing is pretty good too, has shown that many times now. Yesterday for example that ball in from the left towards Rashford was very good. Luiz only just managed to get a foot to it to turn it away for a corner, or it would have been a simple tap in for Rashford.

It’s been eight months since the World Cup. If he hasn’t lost the weight now, he never will.

rollingstoned1

at the moment he is looking like a big downgrade on everyone of our other first choice attackers and also others who were recently at the club who performed similar roles. We thought he would be an improvement on grandpa Zlatan but at the moment i would definitely have 2016 Ibra over him and also a much maligned Fellaini who does Lukakus job a lot better than him. Hopefully we can con some Serie A team into paying 60mn for him and get rid as i don't see a future for him anywhere at this club, not even on the right where we really ought to get a good RW who is good technically and can dribble.

hobbers

Rom was never liked when he was signed and there's nothing that will change people's opinions of him. When he's scoring, it's deafeningly quiet, when his form is poor the vultures start circling. Pogs and Lingard are exactly the same. Some players if liked we focus on their strengths, if not we focus on their weaknesses. The forums always been the same. Rom has his limitations but he's the best goal scorer in the club so not sure why Id advocate selling him as that's the hardest thing to do in football....
He's not the best goalscorer in the club. At all. He'd possibly be the best goalscorer in a specific type of system that we don't play. But in this system, as a first choice number 9, Martial Rashford Pogba and probably even Lingard would comfortably outscore him over the course of the season.

To be a good goalscorer in this system you have to make good runs, you have to see the spaces as they open up, you have to be aware of your team mates, you have to pressure the defence and you have to have a lot of energy in reserve. And you have to be clinical. Lukaku is none of the above.

Mr Smith

Thought he was better against Chelsea than he has been. Still a way off his best, but it's an improvement. I'm still supportive of him and hopeful that his form improves; he's got another 3 months to show he's worth keeping at the club.

Litch

@Litch you have to make your mind up, you said Lukaku was a 3rd best striker in the league, when someone calls you out on that nonsense you reply by saying , he obviously isn’t too 3 at the moment? So when was he? And shouldn’t we be talking about the now?
Also that we’ve all seen his beast mode?? I must have missed that season.

Also earlier you going on about posters having agendas against Pogba, lingard, Sanchez and lumping that in with the Lukaku hate and wanting them all sold. Not true, I’ve never wanted those sold and could see their quality.

Lukaku isn’t at the standard required, simple as that. No agendas, no narrative, no fanboism just plain old dislike for what the player can bring to the team
3rd best striker in the league....or 3rd best goalscorer. I get it, seen it many times on here that fans need a pantomime villain that they can vent their angry against. Go back only a few months, Pogs was the most hated player on here and many wanted him sold. His social media, cars, clothes and hairstyles where a distraction from playing football, and it's now like he's stopped doing those things why....cause we are winning and cause hes playing well. Rom needs to start scoring again and Im sure people will temporarily move onto why Rashford cant finish, Lingard not good enough, Lindeloff cant head the ball and maybe Pogs even being a show pony.....I get it.

UncleBob

Rom was never liked when he was signed and there's nothing that will change people's opinions of him. When he's scoring, it's deafeningly quiet, when his form is poor the vultures start circling. Pogs and Lingard are exactly the same. Some players if liked we focus on their strengths, if not we focus on their weaknesses. The forums always been the same. Rom has his limitations but he's the best goal scorer in the club so not sure why Id advocate selling him as that's the hardest thing to do in football....
Outscored by Pogba, Martial and Rashford so far in the league.

Litch

He's not the best goalscorer in the club. At all. He'd possibly be the best goalscorer in a specific type of system that we don't play. But in this system, as a first choice number 9, Martial Rashford Pogba and probably even Lingard would comfortably outscore him over the course of the season.

To be a good goalscorer in this system you have to make good runs, you have to see the spaces as they open up, you have to be aware of your team mates, you have to pressure the defence and you have to have a lot of energy in reserve. And you have to be clinical. Lukaku is none of the above.
Yep best goalscorer in my opinion and stats confirm it but thanks for sharing your knowledge of what it takes to be a good one with me.....

Siorac

Assuming we stop have the same injuries on Sunday and employ the diamond, wpuld anyone select Lukaku?

I think he did better yesterday and it was possibly his 2nd best performance under OGS (Arsenal 1st), but it wasn't a performance that nails down a place. I'd be minded to start Sanchez- he still has stuff to prove like Rom, but he offers more ability to retain the ball and bring others into play
The problem is that the alternative is probably Sanchez. Not much of an improvement. I'd say at least Lukaku is more likely to stumble onto the ball and score.

Litch

Outscored by Pogba, Martial and Rashford so far in the league.
Said it already. Most of this new optimism started 12 games ago prior to that I dont have amnesia of peoples thoughts on Pogs and Rashford. Finally we are playing the football we all hoped we would but some players have had the opportunity to embrace it more than others. All im interested in is getting him scoring goals again as we will be better for it. Hes scored all his career and I dont understand why the answer on here seems to be selling players when we are suppose to be supporting them. The irony is this is exactly what Ole has done and look at the outcome....did people not see his contribution against Arsenal or does that not count.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
3rd best striker in the league....or 3rd best goalscorer. I get it, seen it many times on here that fans need a pantomime villain that they can vent their angry against. Go back only a few months, Pogs was the most hated player on here and many wanted him sold. His social media, cars, clothes and hairstyles where a distraction from playing football, and it's now like he's stopped doing those things why....cause we are winning and cause hes playing well. Rom needs to start scoring again and Im sure people will temporarily move onto why Rashford cant finish, Lingard not good enough, Lindeloff cant head the ball and maybe Pogs even being a show pony.....I get it.
I get it, you like repeating the same stuff even though it has been pointed out as incorrect.

When was he the third best striker/ goal scorer? Youve most those posts.

Also, it has nothing to do with Pogba, haircuts or winning or losing. You can go on about people disliking Pogba a few months ago all you like, it has nothing to do with dislike for Lukaku. His lack of ability is there to see whether we win or lose.

You seem to be making the argument that Lukaku shouldn’t/ can’t be criticised because a few people wanted Pogba sold a few months back.

Litch

I get it, you like repeating the same stuff even though it has been pointed out as incorrect.

When was he the third best striker/ goal scorer? Youve most those posts.

Also, it has nothing to do with Pogba, haircuts or winning or losing. You can go on about people disliking Pogba a few months ago all you like, it has nothing to do with dislike for Lukaku. His lack of ability is there to see whether we win or lose.

You seem to be making the argument that Lukaku shouldn’t/ can’t be criticised because a few people wanted Pogba sold a few months back.
In the PL, who has a better goal scoring record. Rom isnt that old either so its not cause hes been playing longer and equally its not cause he played for City.
My opinion which im entitled to as thats what yours is too, not a science. For me having a firing Rom as a option is better than not. Ole has already proved a little positivity goes a long way....Id sooner be continue that way of thinking than the negativity thats clouded the club for years.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Who are these people? Tag them or stop talking nonsense. People call out Lukaku shit touch, bad work rate and overall the lack of what he brings to the team. Simple really.
Which is true in most games tbh. I would love for him to prove me and his doubters wrong, I would love to quoted and laughed at because he'd do well. So far it's not working.

KennyBurner

Football the last time I watched it is about scoring goals. If fans want 15 prem goals a season to leave to find a player who will probably score less, then that's fine.....not bothered about scoring against the top teams as not many players do anyway statistically.
That’s were the ambition comes in. If lukaku was to leave it will only be because we are recruiting a better player that can score 15 or more goals against the dross and also a couple more against the top 6. To put the icing on the cake they might even be able to control a football.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
In the PL, who has a better goal scoring record. Rom isnt that old either so its not cause hes been playing longer and equally its not cause he played for City.
My opinion which im entitled to as thats what yours is too, not a science. For me having a firing Rom as a option is better than not. Ole has already proved a little positivity goes a long way....Id sooner be continue that way of thinking than the negativity thats clouded the club for years.
I agree opinions can’t be wrong.

Your assumption that Lukaku is only being used as a scapegoat and thats what’s happened to Pogba, lingard and now happening to Lukaku is incorrect.

Lukaku is being picked apart because of his touch and lack of Involvement, whether that be pressing or making runs. Not just because fellaini is no longer here to pick on or Pogba changed his haircut once upon a time and had some grief.

If you watch Lukaku and are happy with his runs made, his pressing contribution and his technical ability then fair enough, it doesn’t impress me much though.

United22

I don't give a toss if he worked hard, any of us could work hard on the pitch. He is shambolic as a footballer and needs to be shipped off

Litch

That’s were the ambition comes in. If lukaku was to leave it will only be because we are recruiting a better player that can score 15 or more goals against the dross and also a couple more against the top 6. To put the icing on the cake they might even be able to control a football.
Amazing how many goals he scored off his backside....both prem and internationally. Lucky guy...

starman

Had his usual infuriating moments but generally played ok.

Hopefully he can get a couple of goals from now to the end of the season and perk some interest him. He needs a team that wants to build around. At United hes simply not good enough to be that player.
I think there are a couple of mid level teams willing to spunk 50m on him, its whether he's willing to drop down a level.

Last edited:

United22

Amazing how many goals he scored off his backside....both prem and internationally. Lucky guy...
He was a brilliant player, and I disagree with the people who say he wasn't good enough for this club - we thought we had the player who scored 25+ goals per season in Everton, and he did do that in his first year here. The issue is he has definitely declined as a player - he is bulky physically and can barely trap the ball now

KennyBurner

I also thought he was okay but that was mainly due to the tactics employed. We played with 2 strikers that will start out wide then press towards the center. Pure brilliance from ole with rashford lukaku and mata clogging the center.

Now lukaku was very useful with his physique against their defenders but at times during the game I thought it was just pointless because he would harass the defenders off the ball but he just couldn’t manage to convert it into an opportunity. For instance if he got the ball he would also immediately lose it. It’s those little details that disappoints me because we are a counter attacking team and as such we need players at the focal points that can lay off effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.