4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Nothing bizarre about it at all. He’s a fecking striker man, an expensive one at that. I want my United striker to put the ball in the net, not put in a shift.
He wasn't playing as a striker so why are you insisting on judging him as one? You had Rashford, Lingard, Mata, Sanchez, Firmino, Salah, Mane, Sturridge and Origi all on the pitch at some point today and they didn't score either, nor did any of them even fashion a half chance. If we included the penalty he should have had 3 assists today, but you're heard saying how shit he played. He was the best of that bunch.

waza7111

He did ok I suppose but lost possession a few times which ended some promising attacks and he made some clumsy fouls in dangerous positions. Lukaku shouldn't really be an option on the right wing for a club as big as Manchester United. We need to upgrade this position in the summer.

Shark

@NotShark
He wasn't playing as a striker so why are you insisting on judging him as one? You had Rashford, Lingard, Mata, Sanchez, Firmino, Salah, Mane, Sturridge and Origi all on the pitch at some point today and they didn't score either, nor did any of them even fashion a half chance. If we included the penalty he should have had 3 assists today, but you're heard saying how shit he played. He was the best of that bunch.
Are you you actually serious. So he’s not a striker now and so he shouldn’t be judged on his diobolical form stretching back months. :lol: Let’s judge him as a fecking winger then yeah?
Rashford, Salah, Firminho and Mane have been scoring quite a lot of goals over the past few months, so sorry your argument there is gash.

ivaldo

You can't just have one or two decent moments and be terrible the rest of the time. People have argued that case for ages with certain players, but now we're actually seeing them play well throughout games and not just the odd moment (Martial for example). The difference is massive.

Credit to Lukaku for those moments, but he's terrible.
As opposed to just being terrible, which by your metric would include every other attacking on the pitch today. Tell me of the other chances the other attacking players created and had themselves today.

ivaldo

Are you you actually serious. So he’s not a striker now :lol:
Rashford, Salah, Firminho and Mane have been scoring quite a lot of goals over the past few months, so sorry your argument there is gash.
Really? I didn't say he wasn't a striker, I said he wasn't playing as one. You understand the distinction between the two, yes?

And how many did they score today? We are discussing today's performance, not last week's, or the week before, today's performance, that's the point of this thread, and he did more than every other attacking player on the pitch combined. No matter how much you want that to be untrue, it isn't.

Alemar

On a serious note, no one (in both teams) created as much as Lukaku today. Yes, his usual weaknesses remain, but credit should be given when due.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
As opposed to just being terrible, which by your metric would include every other attacking on the pitch today. Tell me of the other chances the other attacking players created and had themselves today.
What's my metric? Let's try it this way. Was he shit apart from two passes in 96 minutes? Try answering without mentioning those two passes.
I already know what you're going to say. The same as everyone did for the other players they made excuses for in the past. The difference between someone who can make those passes and be decent the entire game and someone who isn't is huge.

Shark

@NotShark
Really? I didn't say he wasn't a striker, I said he wasn't playing as one. You understand the distinction between the two, yes?

And how many did they score today? We are discussing today's performance, not last week's, or the week before, today's performance, that's the point of this thread, and he did more than every other attacking player on the pitch combined. No matter how much you want that to be untrue, it isn't.
What you are saying is that that we can’t judge a 80m striker’s ability to put the ball in the net. If anything, it’s a testiment to how dire he’s been that his defenders are shifting the goal posts in order to defend him. Regardless of where Lukaku was asked to play, we had Rashford limping around all game and he still posed more of a threat in front of goal. We needed a striker more than ever to step up in his absence and he did bugger all on that front and lost possession continuously.

RedIke

Man people love taking a shit on Rom don't they.

Played on the wing for 60% of the match due to Marcus' ankle. Worked his ass off tracking back to help contain Robertson. And played a perfect pass to Jesse when Jesse should have scored. His cross at the end was great too.

I'm not making the case that he's the best player on the team. But FFS give the kid some credit today for being a team player when needed and producing the teams best three opportunities. All while out off form no doubt.

ivaldo

What's my metric? Let's try it this way. Was he shit apart from two passes in 96 minutes? Try answering without mentioning those two passes.
I already know what you're going to say. The same as everyone did for the other players they made excuses for in the past. The difference between someone who can make those passes and be decent the entire game and someone who isn't is huge.
Why are we excluding those two chances? You understand that's his main job, right? It's ridiculous that you get to the point where you want to ignore the most important aspect of an attacking players game to concentrate on what he did wrong in order to stress a narrative you have for the player.

Let me be plain: he isn't good enough for us. That doesn't mean we have to pretend he doesn't have good games.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Why are we excluding those two chances? You understand that's his main job, right? It's ridiculous that you get to the point where you want to ignore the most important aspect of an attacking players game to concentrate on what he did wrong in order to stress a narrative you have for the player.

Let me be plain: he isn't good enough for us. That doesn't mean we have to pretend he doesn't have good games.
That's exactly what I said you'd reply with :lol:
His job is also passing, which he was the worst at (Lingard and De Gea aside). All game. Not just two moments in a game. I already said credit to him for the two decent passes, but that doesn't equal a good game.

reddaz71

He's terrific for Belgium banging them in against the likes of Albania, San Marino, Finland etc but as a top class striker for Man Utd he's nowhere near good enough.

Ace of Spades

He was decent, still has the usual problems but was at least somewhat useful on the right, and actually did some good defensive work. Put in a shift, which is not something he always does.

Alemar

If Lukaku “had a bad game” today, then Mane and Salah need to be transfer listed immediately by that logic. If anything he was better than them at least

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If Lukaku “had a bad game” today, then Mane and Salah need to be transfer listed immediately by that logic. If anything he was better than them at least
Salah was dispossessed a lot and definitely had a poor game (or rather, Shaw had a great game). He still had 89% pass completion though. The real difference is Salah is a good player most weeks.

m1tch

One positive thing to say about him for sure is that he can really whip in a great cross from that right hand side when he checks back on his left.

Needs to sort himself out though physically, not only does he need to do it to fit our style of play, but if he wasn't so knackered I'm sure he'd control a ball more often.

Alabaster Codify7

I'd sell him in the summer, and would replace him with none other than Jamie Vardy.

It makes sense. £40m is not unrealistic for Lukaku no matter how bad he's been this season, if a PL team want a goal-poacher he's your man. Preferably we'd sell him abroad. We could then bid around £30-35m for Vardy to provide the same service - backup/rotation striker but one who is a) actually a tidy footballer and b) old enough to not block the emergence of Greenwood. Mason could be phased in over the next two seasons.

Robbie Boy

Personally I wish Lingard did more with that lovely pass from Lukaku. In his 20+ minutes today he was useless as usual.
Harsh, their keeper done brilliant and Lingard wasn’t fully fit. Anyhow, the crux of the matter is that we need to upgrade that position as a matter of priority. Lingard is fine as a squad player but Lukaku isn’t going to hang around as one.

Kostov

Harsh, their keeper done brilliant and Lingard wasn’t fully fit. Anyhow, the crux of the matter is that we need to upgrade that position as a matter of priority. Lingard is fine as a squad player but Lukaku isn’t going to hang around as one.
He could have done better in my opinion, the fact that the keeper got the ball as clean as he did shows how lame that attempt was. Nonetheless, I think Lukaku is a more useful player than Lingard, but you are right, while one is happy with a squad role the other probably thinks much higher of himself. Let's hope everybody back fit soon, because we will need everyone's effort.

Janson

Well, it certainly explains a lot if you don't think logic exists in football, and especially when it comes to analyzing player performances.

Has anyone objected to the idea of Lukaku and Sanchez performing at their best ?
Logic does exist in football, but when it comes to random fans analysing player performances, logic goes out the window a lot of the time. You can get half the people rating a performance as great and the other half will say it's horrible.

There's thousands of examples but here's just one:

Okay, I am seriously annoyed with him now. Forget the quality, even the attitude is lacking.
Played well today and his attitude was great.

Janson

Are you you actually serious. So he’s not a striker now and so he shouldn’t be judged on his diobolical form stretching back months. :lol: Let’s judge him as a fecking winger then yeah?
We're talking about today here, not the last few months.

Janson

You can't just have one or two decent moments and be terrible the rest of the time. People have argued that case for ages with certain players, but now we're actually seeing them play well throughout games and not just the odd moment (Martial for example). The difference is massive.

Credit to Lukaku for those moments, but he's terrible.
First time I see someone rate a players performance based on pass completion rate, and at the same time disregard two passes that should have won us the game.

That's probably the most useless stat to consider in these circumstances. You can pass it sideways every time and have a 100% completion. It doesn't mean that player was good. Also attackers play in areas that are most congested so it's more difficult to make the right pass in those situations.

Your last sentence makes no sense. The game is about scoring goals in the end. If a player scores two goals and wins the game for you while not being good otherwise, will you say he was terrible apart from the goals?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
First time I see someone rate a players performance based on pass completion rate, and at the same time disregard two passes that should have won us the game.

That's probably the most useless stat to consider in these circumstances. You can pass it sideways every time and have a 100% completion. It doesn't mean that player was good. Also attackers play in areas that are most congested so it's more difficult to make the right pass in those situations.

Your last sentence makes no sense. The game is about scoring goals in the end. If a player scores two goals and wins the game for you while not being good otherwise, will you say he was terrible apart from the goals?
He's a right winger today and I and others saw him misplace multiple passes yet again. That's what I'm rating him on. The stat just backs it up.

And if that player was shite but scored a goal, yes. As has happened many times. What a stupid example.

ivaldo

What you are saying is that that we can’t judge a 80m striker’s ability to put the ball in the net. If anything, it’s a testiment to how dire he’s been that his defenders are shifting the goal posts in order to defend him. Regardless of where Lukaku was asked to play, we had Rashford limping around all game and he still posed more of a threat in front of goal. We needed a striker more than ever to step up in his absence and he did bugger all on that front and lost possession continuously.
No, I'm not saying that. When a player plays as a winger, you judge him as a winger. He's literally not playing as striker, and was moved in order to facilitate an injured striker. Its so weird that you want to remove the good he does in a match in order to forward a narrative. It's not debatable, he did significantly more than any other attacking player on the pitch. The reason we didn't win that game wasn't Lukaku, if the players around him had done their job and converted the golden opportunities he created, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Shark

@NotShark
We're talking about today here, not the last few months.
I know. He brought up a list of other players on the pitch today that didn’t score but my point was that argument really doesn’t stand when these are players that consistently score goals other weeks. Listing these players as an excuse as to why our 70m striker didn’t score a goal or isn’t expected to anymore is downright baffling. It’s like Chelsea fans agreeing to keep Fernando Torres around because he made one or two decent passes in a game, ludicrous stuff.

ivaldo

I know. He brought up a list of other players on the pitch today that didn’t score but my point was that argument really doesn’t stand when these are players that consistently score goals other weeks. Listing these players as an excuse as to why our 70m striker didn’t score a goal or isn’t expected to anymore is downright baffling. It’s like Chelsea fans agreeing to keep Fernando Torres around because he made one or two decent passes in a game, ludicrous stuff.
No it isn't! It's incredible how you are still continuing down this line of thought. I don't know how many times I have to say this: I don't believe that he is good enough for this club.

You're conflating two entirely different points. I was speaking about his performances today as a winger. And you want of disagree with that by discussing his past performances as a striker. Today he contributed far more to our attacking play than any other attacking player on the pitch, and if we include the clear penalty he was denied as an assist, he could have under different circumstances walked away with 3 assists. As a winger, that's a bloody brilliant return.

SiamDevil

Many said he was terrible yet created the most important chances for us. You just can't say that someone has a terrible game when they did those things imo. But even worse are the ones who somehow thought he was lazy.

Member 115509

Great ball when he played in Lingard, but he still looks so awkward and clumsy when trying to control or run with the ball, for a big guy he is terrible as a target man, rarely wins headers or takes the ball in and lays it off. Has his moments, but his technique is so poor at times.

RonaldoVII

Didn't think he was that bad. It's an unfamiliar position and most of his work was with one eye on defence. He does whip a wicked cross in and the chance created for Lingard was great.

haram

Touch was fine. Link up was fine. Work rate was fine. Created the best chances.

Hurr durr terrible footballer hurr durr.

lsd

The Oracle
One of our best players today anyone having any complaints about him today is just hating for the sake of it

lsd

The Oracle
I'd sell him in the summer, and would replace him with none other than Jamie Vardy.

It makes sense. £40m is not unrealistic for Lukaku no matter how bad he's been this season, if a PL team want a goal-poacher he's your man. Preferably we'd sell him abroad. We could then bid around £30-35m for Vardy to provide the same service - backup/rotation striker but one who is a) actually a tidy footballer and b) old enough to not block the emergence of Greenwood. Mason could be phased in over the next two seasons.
I haven't seen a worse post than that in a while . Vardy? Get a grip

Status
Not open for further replies.