4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inter Yer Nan

He was class tonight and is in a rich vein of form. Six goals in three games and all around general good play. He was excellent tonight. Very happy for him and it's brilliant for the team.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I take it all back. If we can get him running at defenders one on one and onto dangerous balls into the box he’s great. He’s too powerful and his finishing has been great the last few week. The first goal was a tricky finish. I’m glad the lads are finally getting to enjoy themselves!

MetoTTT

Sure & he is a good young player but he plays differently to Martial, Lukaku Rashford & Greenwood to just come in an take that RW spot. It makes one side of our attack more creative whilst the other side more clinical. That may do well or it may not.

On the other hand -

2 striker formations we have played and Lukaku & Greenwood are left footed strikers with pace and ability to play on the right channels whilst Rashford & Martial can do wonders on the left channel.

4 strikers the first we have had since 99.

If Sancho does come - I don't see him being played as a RW because it effects nearly every other attacker around him - martial will be stuck out wide, Rashford and Lukaku will be competing for one spot never mind Greenwood, Rashford out left isn't all that consistent either etc.

If we play with 2 strikers we could and propably will play with a false nine - and that is the position for a creator something I can see a player like Sancho grow in to - if not then felix.

Have a creator in-between two strikers that operate on the channels at pace - gives every striker an equal ability and chance to be in the starting xi.

Lingard vs Sancho for the false nine position.

352 is my bet for next year.
Sancho is a young talanted player who flourish this season as a RW/RF. We don't invest +100mil to play him as a false 9. If we will play and RW/RF is needed, we could be interested in him and try to get him. If we will play the diamond and we need a false 9 and/or a Silva type of player, Fekir or Felix are the better choice IMO.

Ekeke

Happy for Red Rom. Got a lot of unfair stick and has come in and delivered with the goals we've needed. Invaluable to have a player like that at least on the bench

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'd want him to stay and give him a proper chance next season. Too early to write him off and it's hard to find strikers who scores goals regularly these days.
First goal was class. Say what you want about him but in knockout games you need a goalscorer like him. Two chances two goals, no dilly dallying.

MetoTTT

Can someone make a video of his first touch today in Paris, please?
Just kidding! Come on, Rom!!!

el3mel

I think the key point is he was a far better match physically to Silva than Rashford in first leg. I thought Rashford was getting out muscled very easily by Silva at OT, but Lukaku bulldozed through him today in the first goal.

Wanderlust_09

It’ll go unnoticed but that first goal was a brilliant finish. Sure he took it wide with his touch last Buffon but he certainly knows where the goal is.
This!!

Even when PSG gifted us the chance, it was a tough finish and he scored from that tight angle with very little room to run into..

We all praise Rashford and Martial for their involvement in the buld up, but they are still a long way from being lethal finishers who can score 20+ goals in many seasons.
We need someone like Lukaku in our squad who is a traditional goal scoring striker and there is no way we can afford to sell him without getting an expensive replacement.

I am very glad he took his chance when called upon and scored match winning braces in 3 back to back games.
He deserves so much credit and respect for not sulking when he was clearly not in Ole's first 11 plans for a while.
I hope he continues to work on his overall game, score more goals and create a good selection headache for us to have.

And of course, it was very classy of him to console Kimpembe and talk to him for close to a minute at FT.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Just to add, today's performance comes on the back off a couple that - although may not have been him at his best - were very decent performances in terms of his application and contribution to our play. If this continues in to a purple patch that he's usually due at least once every season it can be huge for our top four aspirations.
Looks like he just may have hit one of those patches :D

Again, his contribution to the team's overall play has improved significantly.

Loublaze

ATLien
This was after the final whistle. Lukaku picked a distraught Kimpembwe off the ground and offered some kind words or something. Im guessing Lukaku is reminding him of the friendly bet they made before the game. 'You owe me 20 thousand Kimmy'

h

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Looked better tonight, took his goals well, first touch was noticeably better, and held the ball up well on the few occasions that we played it into him. Didn't win many headers, and ran out of steam towards the end ( not a criticism), but he's certainly improved in these last few games.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Brilliant last few games, without doubt if you can get Lukaku flowing he's very difficult to stop. Good to see him smiling, also that was a very good interview with Neville. Refreshing to hear a player actually be honest and not come out with the usual rehearsed lines.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I was so out of it at the end that I didn't even notice that he went to CB. Incredible.

reminds me of that game in José's first season where Zlatan played the last 10 or so minutes as our CDM

SAFMUTD

His reactions where superb, just looked the goals again and his killer instinct is there. Specially in the second goal, the first rule is you dont stop running you must seek the mistake and he did. He was at least 3-4 meters behind PSG CBs who should had got the rebound easily but he simply keep pushing and got rewarded for it.

He is currently on beast mode, 3 straight games scoring two. Lets get Rashford back on track and we'll have one hell of attack.

RedCurry

Don't see it happening, but would love nothing more.

Very glad he's come into form lately, but I can't see Thiago Silva being phased by him.

I really hope I have a bunch of posters quoting me and mocking me after he plays a blinder and we go through tonight though!
I am only quoting you because you asked me to. Cheers!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I thought his hold-up play was fecking class. He fed on scraps but still managed to do some things with it.
His goals are a testament on his improved physical condition.

IRELANDUNITED

I'm glad to be able to say that I always retained faith in him, even when it wasn't looking good for him. I fecking love the way he played in the very middle of a back 5 in the final few minutes tonight as well

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He has won me over, amazing recently. Scored many good goals too.

RedCurry

By his own admission and according to Ole, he’s fitter now than he was when Ole arrived. It’s good to see because a fit and firing Lukaku means we still have two cups to realistically aim for.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What a week he had. 6 goals in 3 games and every goal was important. No stat padding.

Scoring 2 goals in CL KO, probably equalled Zlatan's record for goals in CL knock outs.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
By his own admission and according to Ole, he’s fitter now than he was when Ole arrived. It’s good to see because a fit and firing Lukaku means we still have two cups to realistically aim for.
It's clear to see on TV too, the guy works much harder than before. Makes more runs, he wouldn't have scored that 2nd goal if he didn't work on his fitness for instance. The best is yet to come from him.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Whether he ends up good enough for us or not - I think we forget how much of a step up Lukaku has had to make in the past few years in his career. Mentally that can take a toll and sometimes you need to consolidate how much you’ve grown - press the reset button to a degree and start a new process of growth all over again.

This is a guy whose had to fight through relegation level club, to mid table to now leading the line for a top 3 club in the world in terms of pressure and fame. Additionally his national team is now becoming a force to be reckoned with and he’s had to learn to handle the World Cup stage and play in latter stage of tournament. It’s been a rapid step up in terms of difficulty level for him.

Some players are destined to feature at the highest level, others plateau when they hit certain heights and may be forced to drop a level or two before they find the right environment again. Lukaku thus far in his career has proved many doubters wrong and somehow manged to cajole himself to this level. I wouldn't bet against him managing to develop again and cementing himself at this level after stagnating this season.

Having said all that - when you play for a club this size and get to this level of football, you won't be given seasons where you can just stop performing and be given time to find your feet. You might get a season at best but after that you need to hit the ground running, or they will go out and splash on someone who doesn't go through such growing pains.
Looks like Big Rom is going through another growth spurt in terms of technique (the recent right footed goalscoring streak) and mental attitude (scoring clutch goals).

Fantastic interview above as well - hope he makes it here but even if he doesn’t I think we would recoup most of the money we splashed out on him now.

roonster09

Scout
Looks like Big Rom is going through another growth spurt in terms of technique (the recent right footed goalscoring streak) and mental attitude (scoring clutch goals).

Fantastic interview above as well - hope he makes it here but even if he doesn’t I think we would recoup most of the money we splashed out on him now.
Lukaku was always decent using his weaker foot.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Lukaku was always decent using his weaker foot.
He was but he’s not shown it since joining here and in all fairness those right footed strikes recently have been of a higher quality IMO (really tough right situations and having to get a quick shot off with unerring accuracy). Given him an air of unpredictability.

roonster09

Scout
He was but he’s not shown it since joining here and in all fairness those right footed strikes recently have been of a higher quality IMO (really tough right situations and having to get a quick shot off with unerring accuracy). Given him an air of unpredictability.
He did and I remember having this discussion with you last season. Yeah the strikes are cleaner and for the first time I saw him scoring the goal from outside the box but he was comfortable using his right foot. He used to shift before whipping crosses or small passes.

Like you said, there is even more improvement on that. Also good change is, he has cut down unnecessary touches to set the ball before striking it. Just a quick flick and shoot which gives him more space and less time for defenders to block it.

Johan07

Great performance. Hope he will be OK for Arsenal, he looked a bit crocked after being kicked with like 25 minutes left. Neither him or Rashford looked anywhere near fitness towards the end which makes the win even more sweet. Again: Just hope they both will be fit for Arsenal and that we will get some players back. It will be needed.

It was the perfect night for him. Used his size and pace to great effect and they had no idea how to handle him. We were pinned back which gave him plenty of space to run at when we broke out. Shows he can have a future here, if he's prepared to be a squad player.

Status
Not open for further replies.