4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkXaero

Arsenal's football is very different to ours. Mourinho doesn't like a striker with little physical qualities.
Well, whatever our football is, it obviously doesn't work. And Mourinho listed Alexis as a striker option before, and he plays Rashford as the second choice striker, despite Rashford being less of a physical presence than Alexis (despite his significantly bigger frame).

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was very poor and his form is very worrying. I never had any problem with his first touch or his passing but his lack of aggression is just frustrating to watch. It's like player with body of a hulk but plays like a little girl when it comes to duels or using his physicality.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Good defensive clearance after Martials fantastic cross today. Other than that it was very concerning to see him struggle to hold his defenders off - ie the one thing he can consistently do

Festive Sandvich

Arsenal's football is very different to ours. Mourinho doesn't like a striker with little physical qualities.
But Sanchez does have physical qualities, just not height. He's quick and very strong for his size. His low centre of gravity and technique put him well ahead of Lukaku in terms of presenting a danger in the box for anything that isn't a high ball in. And there in lies the rub....

If José really is that obsessed with playing one way in to a big man up top, Rash/Martial/Sanchez have no real chance of challenging for the #9 spot, even if they have good games up there Jose will revert eventually. In which case he might as well go the whole hog and get Fellaini up there when Lukaku is rank. He has better first touch, uses his strength much better to hold the ball up and his heading is on another level to Lukaku.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Easily the worst striker by far in the top 6, and considering the money we spent, thats unforgivable.

Fracture90

As I keep saying I'm genuinely worried what will the next manager (hopefully attacking one) do with him? His technique is limited, his linkup game isn't elite level either, not clinical, not able to create something out of nothing like true WC #9, for his size and strength surprisingly bad at shielding the ball and bringing down hoofballs...

Kostov

He is struggling it's obvious there a confidence issue and he will come through it, but he will never be an elite striker some are expecting him to be. Additionally I think we are using him wrongly, he is not a striker to play with his back on goal, we are not using his physicality properly.

ErranMorad

As I keep saying I'm genuinely worried what will the next manager (hopefully attacking one) do with him? His technique is limited, his linkup game isn't elite level either, not clinical, not able to create something out of nothing like true WC #9, for his size and strength surprisingly bad at shielding the ball and bringing down hoofballs...
We can play in a two with Martial or Sanchez. We don't need to play 433, we can easily shift to a 4312 and have our best players in their best positions. Lukaku is not an elite striker, but he is still good enough to get us 30+ goals a season if he gets enough service. A more attacking style of football will go a long way in helping towards getting the best out of him. He is not a target man, and never will be one. We should stop expecting him turn into Drogba or Costa.

Fracture90

We can play in a two with Martial or Sanchez. We don't need to play 433, we can easily shift to a 4312 and have our best players in their best positions. Lukaku is not an elite striker, but he is still good enough to get us 30+ goals a season if he gets enough service. A more attacking style of football will go a long way in helping towards getting the best out of him. He is not a target man, and never will be one. We should stop expecting him turn into Drogba or Costa.
30 goals is a stretch and would require us setting our whole team in way that enables him to make an impact and score, to bring out the best out of him. And with him lacking that clinical edge to score goals, it would be a serious gamble.

ErranMorad

30 goals is a stretch and would require us setting our whole team in way that enables him to make an impact and score, to bring out the best out of him. And with him lacking that clinical edge to score goals, it would be a serious gamble.
He got 27 goals last season, bud. I guess you mistook it as 30 goals in the league, which I agree he'll never get. However, he is here and no one is taking him of our hands unless we are ready to lose a significant chunk on him. So, we have to get the best out of him, and that would mean not playing him as a target man. The guy is a hard working striker. Use him in a two drifting in from the right and he would look better, imo.

Fracture90

He got 27 goals last season, bud. I guess you mistook it as 30 goals in the league, which I agree he'll never get. However, he is here and no one is taking him of our hands unless we are ready to lose a significant chunk on him. So, we have to get the best out of him, and that would mean not playing him as a target man. The guy is a hard working striker. Use him in a two drifting in from the right and he would look better, imo.
Listen you could be right, common sense is telling me that in a more attacking side, provided with more scoring opportunities he would score more and ultimately his numbers would go up alongside with his confidence. If we get a manager that actually played football and can help him develop his shortcomings he might turn into a beast.

As for now I agree with you, he's not a target man and will not become one over night, because shielding the ball with your body and positioning yourself gotta come naturally, it's instinctual, can't be taught. But then again he can't make those quick, short intricate passes to make it work in 2 upfront.

It's a conundrum I tell ya.

Robbie Boy

I defended him a-lot last season but I really can’t at the moment. He’s been atrocious this season.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If a new manager can get what Belgium get out of him/got out of him at the WC I'd me more then happy with that.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Missed two absolute sitters in the first half. They were harder to miss than score.
I still can't understand why he tried to head it with his forehead. If he just lets the ball hit the side of his head it would go in. As he showed at Watford, sometimes all the ball needs is a touch. He could well have just let it hit his chest and I'm sure it would have bounced in. Instead he ends up with a goal saving clearance that ruins Martial's good work.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If a new manager can get what Belgium get out of him/got out of him at the WC I'd me more then happy with that.
Precisely. If we’re all convinced that our squad is being made to look worse than it really is thanks to Mourinho (the only rational reason to want him fired - which the majority on here are in favour of) then we should assume Lukaku will up his game under a different manager.

He was awful in the last two games. His confidence looks completely shot. I’d be more worried if we couldn’t say the same about almost every player in our squad at various points in Mourinho’s reign.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I still can't understand why he tried to head it with his forehead. If he just lets the ball hit the side of his head it would go in. As he showed at Watford, sometimes all the ball needs is a touch. He could well have just let it hit his chest and I'm sure it would have bounced in. Instead he ends up with a goal saving clearance that ruins Martial's good work.
He mistimed his jump, under pressure from the defender. Got caught under the ball. That’s all. There was no decision making process like you describe there.

el3mel

He scored 4 goals in World Cup against Tunisia and Panama. Nothing outrageous here. He had a very good game against Brazil but was invisible in the next 2 games. If any thing, his world cup performance proved no difference in his gameplay I'm honest.

Rajma

Should be our plan B and not a first choice, struggle to recall such a reactive striker couoled with non-existent movement in the box at a top flight level.

James Peril

We don’t play Gibraltar or Panama every week though, and we don’t have Hazard or de Bruyne in our team. Lukaku’s loves scoring for Belgium, but take a look at the teams he’s scored against and you’ll find the numbers aren’t worth much compared to what we’re playing in the Premier League and Champions League. Basically 90% of his goals are against pub teams and small European countries that are never going to match Belgium. Surprise surprise, he has very few goals against top nations in important games. Even I could nick a goal against Gibraltar.

Betson

He is still our main man up front and biggest threat , but that is not saying much as we so hopeless in attack these days , missing far too many chances for a top class striker. But the truth is we have no better until Rashford steps up consistently so he has to play.

Treble

Lukaku is a very good player. Don't forget that. He scored 26 league goals for Everton.

He might not be world class and might never become world class but he isn't the reason for our problems now.

Stadjer

Lukaku is a very good player. Don't forget that. He scored 26 league goals for Everton.

He might not be world class and might never become world class but he isn't the reason for our problems now.
He is the reason for losing/not winning quite a few games so far this season because he missed some big chances.

Usually i agree.. Lukaku is a good player but not worldclass but when he is missing his chances like he has been this season.... whats the point of him?

Treble

He is the reason for losing/not winning quite a few games so far this season because he missed some big chances.

Usually i agree.. Lukaku is a good player but not worldclass but when he is missing his chances like he has been this season.... whats the point of him?
He didn't have a proper pre-season and isn't on form. Kane isn't great either. Actually, Lukaku has 4 league goals from open play vs 2 (or 1?) for Kane.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He scored 4 goals in World Cup against Tunisia and Panama. Nothing outrageous here. He had a very good game against Brazil but was invisible in the next 2 games. If any thing, his world cup performance proved no difference in his gameplay I'm honest.
Well being “very good against Brazil” goes against the narrative that he’s a flat track bully. So of course it proved something.

el3mel

Well being “very good against Brazil” goes against the narrative that he’s a flat track bully. So of course it proved something.
He did similar performances like these from time to time with us as well, like against Arsenal away so again, not anything outrageous or different than here. It's like Pogba implementing France unlocked Pogba when he was still playing in a more controlled and cautious role.

My point is, in big games even when he plays well, Lukaku seems to end the game while getting zero chances to score. He didn't get any chances to score against Brazil, France and England. All his goals came against crap teams as Tunisia and Panama, how is that any different from here ?

His teammates always seem to struggle to find him in big games for chances and that has to point at him. Belgium had far better players than us and it was still the same. That points at his movement in these kind of games. It's simply not good enough.

I remember someone like Blind with his weak physicality used to dominate him easily whenever we played Everton.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He did similar performances like these from time to time with us as well, like against Arsenal away so again, not anything outrageous or different than here. It's like Pogba implementing France unlocked Pogba when he was still playing in a more controlled and cautious role.

My point is, in big games even when he plays well, Lukaku seems to end the game while getting zero chances to score. He didn't get any chances to score against Brazil, France and England. All his goals came against crap teams as Tunisia and Panama, how is that any different from here ?

His teammates always seem to struggle to find him in big games for chances and that has to point at him. Belgium had far better players than us and it was still the same. That points at his movement in these kind of games. It's simply not good enough.

I remember someone like Blind with his weak physicality used to dominate him easily whenever we played Everton.
You need to rewatch England vs Belgium game again then. He missed lot of chances.

tomaldinho1

He didn't have a proper pre-season and isn't on form. Kane isn't great either. Actually, Lukaku has 4 league goals from open play vs 2 (or 1?) for Kane.
Are you genuinely suugesting Lukaku and Kane are on a similar level?

Treble

Are you genuinely suugesting Lukaku and Kane are on a similar level?
Take into account the context when replying.

I'm just pointing out that it is only natural that he isn't in form now given that he played mid July in Russia and others who did the same are not in form too.

James Peril

Take into account the context when replying.

I'm just pointing out that it is only natural that he isn't in form now given that he played mid July in Russia and others who did the same are not in form too.
Very convenient thing to say though. It’s not like «form» is the difference between scoring a hat-trick every game and not controlling a ball the next. Hazard also played in the WC and he’s in great form. Form and pre-season messes with physical shape, creates fatigue and potential injuries, it doesn’t mess with a players’ abilty to score easy chances. A great striker scores on instinct.

James Peril

A player can always have a good game against a good team. Knockaert had a good game against Spurs last weekend, it’s not like that proves anything and he’s still bang average. Lukaku supposedly played well against Brazil, without scoring, who cares. He then played crap against France and England, Hazard and de Bruyne stopped passing to him because they knew he’s mess up their attacks. Again, it’s what’s offered over the season that’s important - not one game against Brazil.

DRM

He needs to get more involved, or rather, we need to get him more involved in the build up play. So he needs to drop deeper, pick up the ball, turn and run with it. Leaving him as the focal point of the attack is not the best way to utilise him.

Denis79

Proving to be the patchy goal scorer I hoped he wouldn’t be.
I agree, I really like him but his form has been terrible lately. Positioning himself completely wrong, missing sitters. Seems to be very dependant on his confidence.

FromTheBench

Hell likely be phased out and sold by a new manager like Klopp did with Benteke and Saf did eventually with Van Nistelrooy and Berbatov.

He gets goals but hinders our play as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.