4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kundalini

The shot that hit the post was good, and there were a few more decent moments including his part in Mata's goal, but at times it looked like he was intent on getting Mourinho sacked.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Aye, he's been getting opportunities and isn't scoring them, which has hurt us so far this season.

However, it's still worth remembering that the opposite was the case last season. He scored more than his fair proportion of chances, he just didn't get enough.

The point being that it's entirely fair to criticise him for his current form but it would be disingenuous to say this lack of accuracy is the norm because it isn't. He's in bad form atm but that will improve eventually and his goal returns with it provided we keep creating chances.
You said exactly what I had in my mind. It's fecking annoying the 2 are happening at the same time (him getting more chances and him being in a terrible form)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Never, ever, for one minute, been a Manchester United player.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He left me speechless tonight. I thought last Saturday was a one off. I was wrong.

UncleBob

Meh, thought he was worse against Wolverhampton. People are going overboard.

Heinzesight

It’s a joke he even started tonight. He brings feck all and is just so poor at the basics. For a big man he’s soft as shit and lacks a fecking brain.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Leicester: One on one with Schmeichel, all the time in the world, Schmeichel saves. Should never have been allowed to.

Brighton: At 0-0, excellent chance to put us 1 up and potentially change that disaster of a result. Scuffs it about 3 yards wide.

Spurs: Open goal after rounding Lloris. Possibly could've taken it back on left and scored. Even still, missed it with his right. Again at 0-0, could've changed the result when we were well on top for that first half.

Wolves: It was offside but he didn't know and it was an absolutely shocking attempt at a totally free header from 8 yards, unmarked. Well wide.

Derby: Another missed one-on-one. Couldn't even hit the target. About three yards wide. Then a missed header from three yards, albeit slightly difficult but isn't he supposed to be excellent in the air? Costly again, chances were at 1-0 up and would've killed the game. Now we're out.

It is ridiculous having a striker that unreliable in front of goal.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Our worst starting #9 in my lifetime.

I've seen Cole, Yorke, Sheringham, Ole, RVN, Rooney, Saha, Berbatov, Tevez & RVP all have a spell as our first choice striker(s), this lad is the worst of the (very good) bunch, by quite some way.

He's better than Smith, Hernandez, Welbeck etc, but they were never absolute first choice.

Leicester: One on one with Schmeichel, all the time in the world, Schmeichel saves. Should never have been allowed to.

Brighton: At 0-0, excellent chance to put us 1 up and potentially change that disaster of a result. Scuffs it about 3 yards wide.

Spurs: Open goal after rounding Lloris. Possibly could've taken it back on left and scored. Even still, missed it with his right. Again at 0-0, could've changed the result when we were well on top for that first half.

Wolves: It was offside but he didn't know and it was an absolutely shocking attempt at a totally free header from 8 yards, unmarked. Well wide.

Derby: Another missed one-on-one. Couldn't even hit the target. About three yards wide. Then a missed header from three yards, albeit slightly difficult but isn't he supposed to be excellent in the air? Costly again, chances were at 1-0 up and would've killed the game. Now we're out.

He also missed 3 one-on-ones against Burnley

Apokalips

As said earlier, he's really just a poacher. He needs chances put on a plate for him in the box. He doesn't fashion chances for himself and doesn't create something from nothing, hence why the big games aren't very productive for him.

He's a very good player but not elite and should never be guaranteed 90 mins every game for United. He doesn't appear capable of the type of magic our previous strikers have been, we need to have more options up top and not just have him up there for 90 mins a game. Lukaku should be AN option not THE option.

Bobski

Don't understand why he played tonight, long season last year, then a world cup and suffering predictably at the start of this season. Not a fan but an odd choice.

GledTheRed

Burnley misses were fecking infuriating, about 4 one on ones.

Devil may care

Played a bit part in Mata's goal and hit the post, but had 2 big misses in that first 20 minutes and a lot of sloppy play as well.

Silas

Should be dropped, but nobody else fits Mou's profile. Martial or Sanchez up top if it was up to me, with Rom either on the bench or on the right. As I've said before, we aren't going anywhere fast with him as our focal point. £75m :lol:

Last edited:

Neo_Mufc

Think he should be dropped for the West Ham game. Give Rashford a chance up top.

Festive Sandvich

Should be dropped, but nobody else fits Mou's profile. Martial or Sanchez up top if it was up to me, with Rom either on the bench or on the right. As I've said before, we aren't going anywhere fast with him as our focal point.
Only way I see it working long term with him is 3-5-2 with a partner for him to provide for, think he'd be better used as a foil for a more clinical striker, which might also get the best out of Sanchez.

finneh

Pretty much this.

You could forgive a centre forward who missed numerous chances if they were contributing in a huge way outside of their (lack of) finishing. Kane for example misses a fair amount of chances, but unlike Lukaku he creates numerous chances from nothing to compensate (as well as being very effective in the build up). Lukaku not only needs chances putting on an absolute plate for him, but even then it's a toss of a coin at best if he puts it in the net.

He doesn't contribute in the slightest when he isn't being clinical. It was the same last season after his initial goal spree. The likes of Firmino contribute in causing numerous turnovers due to his pressing. Kane creates out of little regularly. Giroud holds the ball up excellently and brings others into play.

Since around December last year I've increasingly felt that he's our new Rooney. He can't control the ball, he struggles with simple passes, he barely moves which causes our other attackers to have few options. Therefore when he isn't finishing, we're essentially playing with ten men (but just like Rooney people say "you can never criticise his effort", despite him walking around for 90 mins).

He will be to Mourinho what Rooney was to Moyes. The latter put his entire career on backing Rooney and he was sacked several months later. If Mouringo continues with Lukaku he'll see the same fate.

It's admirable to think you can develop him into a Drogba style centre forward... But when every shred of evidence suggests otherwise the biggest man doesn't throw good money after bad.

We play Sanchez up front this season with Martial from the left (a player I don't hugely rate) and I firmly believe that the Spurs, Brighton and Derby results are favourable to United in terms of wins/draws instead of losses and failures to qualify.

Last edited:

Greck

System is too reliant on him but his quality can't justify relegating everyone else to suppliers. We really are guaranteed to drop points days when he brings his cement boots. Belgium don't use him as a focal point and still get as much, if not more from him. He can still be useful

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Seems more people are agreeing with my views of this guy. Been laughed off for not eating him since he joined, despite the fact I’d have been laughed off if I rated him the day before he was linked with us.

We need a new striker, be that Alexis or whoever. Lukaku is not a top player.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Any other player would be dropped but being a Mourinho favourite has its perks it seems.

I think despite whatever image he tries to put out about him being physically and mentally stronger is false, just a facade. Finishing chances isn't just down to skill, confidence and mentality plays a huge a part in it too.

Sylar

He might need a rest? Im surprised he played today (was expecting maybe a sub appearance). Should have seen Sanchez up top and Martial assisting him. Shame.

Hes getting into good positions but hes not a striker that is good with time, he seems a more instinctive striker. It seems like hes not cool headed when he has all the time in the world and options to think about.

The Real Treble 99

It’s unbelievable that Mata the slowest midfielder in the world can get into better attacking positions than our No.1 striker oh & finish too. The guy will never score unless it’s put on the plate for him & TBH we can’t have a striker who’s only good for that. I agree with others to drop him & play rashford etc up front. He brings nothing & I mean absolutely nothing to the attack.

0le

Is it fair to say, based on some of the comments and discussion above, that he is a better version of Javier Hernandez, but not anywhere close to Van Nistelrooy?

el3mel

Is it fair to say, based on some of the comments and discussion above, that he is a better version of Javier Hernandez, but not anywhere close to Van Nistelrooy?
Hernandez was better.

DarkXaero

Why can't we just play Alexis in place of Lukaku, and Martial on the left wing? And maybe use Lukaku on the right wing, where he has been effective for Belgium? It could be the way to get the best out of all 3 of those underperforming players.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why don't we ever play Martial or Rashford as CFs the odd game ? Is there something in Lukaku's contact preventing anyone else from playing there? It's their preferred position too and rotation isn't a bad thing when someone is in poor form.

amolbhatia50k

Why can't we just play Alexis in place of Lukaku, and Martial on the left wing? And maybe use Lukaku on the right wing, where he has been effective for Belgium? It could be the way to get the best out of all 3 of those underperforming players.
Alexis is tiny as feck though so I understand the thought process. But Rashford/Martial prefer playing up top so I don't see why they can't get the odd game there when Lukaku is playing badly.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
What an insult to Chich. Hernandez was lethal.

That goal against Chelsea after 30 seconds in 2011 where we effectively won the league. Hernandez sprinting through at Cech (when he was good) and I remember leaning forward convinced he'd score, under huge pressure against one of the best keepers around. And he did.

Then tonight; we have Lukaku bearing down on fecking Derby's keeper in the third round of the league cup, coincidentally in the exact same position as Chicharito that day, and he can't even hit the target. I didn't even react when he got through, I knew he'd miss.

He is useless.

DarkXaero

Alexis is tiny as feck though so I understand the thought process. But Rashford/Martial prefer playing up top so I don't see why they can't get the odd game there when Lukaku is playing badly.
Except Alexis' best goalscoring seasons have come playing centrally in a striker position. That's how he ended up scoring 30 goals for Arsenal in a season. Alexis is small but he still plays physical and doesn't shy away from physicality in general. It's not like Lukaku is any good at holding up the ball. Alexis' movement, general technical ability, and finishing is far ahead of Lukaku too.

amolbhatia50k

Except Alexis' best goalscoring seasons have come playing centrally in a striker position. That's how he ended up scoring 30 goals for Arsenal in a season. Alexis is small but he still plays physical and doesn't shy away from physicality in general. It's not like Lukaku is any good at holding up the ball. Alexis' movement, general technical ability, and finishing is far ahead of Lukaku too.
Arsenal's football is very different to ours. Mourinho doesn't like a striker with little physical qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.