4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajma

Well being “very good against Brazil” goes against the narrative that he’s a flat track bully. So of course it proved something.
He got played off the right against Brazil where he had more space to run into as he was deemed not good enough to lead the line because of his inability to operate in tight zones.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Well being “very good against Brazil” goes against the narrative that he’s a flat track bully. So of course it proved something.
Still missed sitters in the bigger games though...
Seems he doesn't have the composure in front of goal when the pressure is on

Cassidy

Try something new. Sanchez did well up top in pre-season.
Why not play Martial there, a player who actually in the last couple games he played looked decent. Or try Rashford. Why play a player who isn't actually a striker in the striker position just because he is a big name?

I am all for trying something new. Sanchez doesn't deserve this much though, hes been utter shite.

We should have had Greenwood on the bench yesterday too, he could have replaced Lukaku

Ashley R1+O

Needs a break I think. A shame he missed that one vs one and the chip from Martial that was slightly overhit. Want to see more chances created for him though.

tomaldinho1

Take into account the context when replying.

I'm just pointing out that it is only natural that he isn't in form now given that he played mid July in Russia and others who did the same are not in form too.
But when was he ever in form for us? Spurs can rely on Kane - we've never been able to rely on Rom.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
But when was he ever in form for us? Spurs can rely on Kane - we've never been able to rely on Rom.
A bit true unfortunatelly. Lukaku and Pogba are probably the most expensive players ever to create so little impact.

For a 75M pounds striker, his end product is quite underwhelming to say the least. At times he looks like a proper striker, but a lot of times he reminds me a left footed Emile Heskey.

We could had hired Dzyuba and he would probably add more to the team than Lukaku, in terms of first touch, accurate passing and movement, and cost much less money.

Devil may care

He's always scored in clusters, and when he's off form he's really off form. I've never thought he was good enough to be the main #9 at a club that had amitions to be PL or CL winners, which we are supposed to be, but he'll have a little patch of scoring soon and many in this thread will go back to "Love Big Rom!" posts and defending the notion that his weaknesses aren't a long term issue.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Lukaku is showing to be exactly what he was sold as, a player who largely score his goals against weaker opposition and isn't generally great in the big games or against better defences. A bit OTT the reaction on here however, he's not world class and never will be but he is in that bracket just underneath and has shown he is still capable of scoring 25+ goals. Like a poster said further up he's out of form but he's not even close to your biggest troubles in the team.

Hilarious that people think the worst attacker in your squad (Sanchez) should replace him up top

Aloysius's Back 3

Why not play Martial there, a player who actually in the last couple games he played looked decent. Or try Rashford. Why play a player who isn't actually a striker in the striker position just because he is a big name?

I am all for trying something new. Sanchez doesn't deserve this much though, hes been utter shite.

We should have had Greenwood on the bench yesterday too, he could have replaced Lukaku
Because Mourinho started off as a translator in football & his system & his tactics are not wide. He has one type of player he likes to use in certain positions with one type of tactics. It has led to him be successful in every club he has been at so he does not change it.

I mean this is fairly simple - but which manager would have got the chance to manage Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Sanchez & Lukaku - and continues to use only one striker as a target man? Someone just posted here saying that Smalling is our 3rd highest goalscorer in 2018 - does not surprise me a tiny bit because of the tactics we use.

The whole 3 year thing is repeated because his tactics (which gets in the way of players like Pogba, de bryune, Hazard, Martial, Ronaldo etc) never change, neither does his off the field methods of using the press as a way of adding pressure on to his players.

Cassidy

Because Mourinho started off as a translator in football & his system & his tactics are not wide. He has one type of player he likes to use in certain positions with one type of tactics. It has led to him be successful in every club he has been at so he does not change it.

I mean this is fairly simple - but which manager would have got the chance to manage Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Sanchez & Lukaku - and continues to use only one striker as a target man? Someone just posted here saying that Smalling is our 3rd highest goalscorer in 2018 - does not surprise me a tiny bit because of the tactics we use.

The whole 3 year thing is repeated because his tactics (which gets in the way of players like Pogba, de bryune, Hazard, Martial, Ronaldo etc) never change, neither does his off the field methods of using the press as a way of adding pressure on to his players.
Sanchez isn't the type either though is he.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Morata is doing much worse.

Doesn’t really matter to them though as they have threats from other positions, and I’ve noticed Morata does offer more to the team in general play than Lukaku does for us.

SSSSnake

Doesn’t really matter to them though as they have threats from other positions, and I’ve noticed Morata does offer more to the team in general play than Lukaku does for us.
Morata doesn't score or create many assists hence why Giroud is keeping him out of the team. At least Lukaku can score an acceptable amount of goals. But yes I agree. It doesn't matter much for Chelsea as they have another 4/5 players that can hurt teams.

The frustrating thing as a United fan is that he's capable of scoring more then he is. Yesterday just summed him up. Near open goal but didn't get the connection.

Aloysius's Back 3

Sanchez isn't the type either though is he.
Well he is - I don't see much difference in robben, Ronaldo, Sanchez, an inverted eto'o, the way he tries to use Rashford & Martial.

I see the way he tries to utilise lukaku like a second Drogba, a higuain or a pandev.

Guardipla for example has used 3 different tactics at his clubs 433 with a false 9, a 352 at bayern, a 4123 at City. They may all have played possession but there is changes in tactics he uses which is adapted to the players he has.

Likewise - I expected Klopp to turn Liverpool to Dprtmund tactics but he hasn't - they just play the same high press football but changes to the system like firminh0 as a false 9 that really help the whole team out.

We have none of that - everyone has a role to play in strict tactics whether it works for them or not.

Jose has tried to turn Martial, Rashford, Lukaku, Sanchez, Pogba in to players they are simply not ever going to be good at due to his strict tactics.

Lukaku said it himself - he doesn't want to play like Drogba - yet the tactics he plays in makes him have to do that.

Worst thing was - Lukaku proved to Jose at Chelsea that he wasn't going to be that player; yet he spent 80 odd million expecting him to have changed.

Cassidy

Well he is - I don't see much difference in robben, Ronaldo, Sanchez, an inverted eto'o, the way he tries to use Rashford & Martial.

I see the way he tries to utilise lukaku like a second Drogba, a higuain or a pandev.

Guardipla for example has used 3 different tactics at his clubs 433 with a false 9, a 352 at bayern, a 4123 at City. They may all have played possession but there is changes in tactics he uses which is adapted to the players he has.

Likewise - I expected Klopp to turn Liverpool to Dprtmund tactics but he hasn't - they just play the same high press football but changes to the system like firminh0 as a false 9 that really help the whole team out.

We have none of that - everyone has a role to play in strict tactics whether it works for them or not.

Jose has tried to turn Martial, Rashford, Lukaku, Sanchez, Pogba in to players they are simply not ever going to be good at due to his strict tactics.

Lukaku said it himself - he doesn't want to play like Drogba - yet the tactics he plays in makes him have to do that.

Worst thing was - Lukaku proved to Jose at Chelsea that he wasn't going to be that player; yet he spent 80 odd million expecting him to have changed.
Sanchez isn't a Jose type of no 9 which he played when he had Robben, Ronaldo, and Eto wide.

So the point still stands, why play Sanchez as the 9 when we have other players who can actually play there, especially when Sanchez is in terrible form

Smacks of favouritism and accommodating a player because of his name. Id much rather see Sanchez deployed wide right

James Peril

A bit true unfortunatelly. Lukaku and Pogba are probably the most expensive players ever to create so little impact.
Pogba isn't really an attacking midfielder, not in our team anyway. Last year he had 6 goals and 13 assists in 2145 minutes in the league, this last week he's had like 2 goals and 2 assists in two games. He crushes Eriksen's numbers for Tottenham since last season, so I ask you, what impact are you looking for? Pogba is doing fine, he would look even better with great attackers in front of him and not Lingard, Lukaku and Mata.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He is still our main man up front and biggest threat , but that is not saying much as we so hopeless in attack these days , missing far too many chances for a top class striker. But the truth is we have no better until Rashford steps up consistently so he has to play.
Problem is both Rashford & Martial can't step up if they don't get enough chance. They won't step up if they only get one match chance and due to poor performance they got dropped the next game. While Lukaku played poor still been given more chances until he finally actually score goal. Both Rashford & Martial don't get the same amount of love as how much Lukaku got from the manager.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
To be fair it's pre season against mainly terrible teams. In good or bad there is little to take from pre season games.
But he was actually a striker by trade at Arsenal. It's different setup, but who knows if we never try Sanchez there? We tried Martial several times already, and he's not that good there. And so did Rashford.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He got played off the right against Brazil where he had more space to run into as he was deemed not good enough to lead the line because of his inability to operate in tight zones.
Martinez said that's why he played him there? As opposed to, say, playing him in a position where he could exploit Brazil's fullbacks as he indeed did? Which incidentally was the reason he gave for using Lukaku in that role for Everton against Arsenal a few seasons ago.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But he was actually a striker by trade at Arsenal. It's different setup, but who knows if we never try Sanchez there? We tried Martial several times already, and he's not that good there. And so did Rashford.
One season two years ago for Wenger. Sanchez has mainly been an attacking midfielder even for someone like Wenger that uses tactics that are perfect for quick little players.

Woziak

Leicester: One on one with Schmeichel, all the time in the world, Schmeichel saves. Should never have been allowed to.

Brighton: At 0-0, excellent chance to put us 1 up and potentially change that disaster of a result. Scuffs it about 3 yards wide.

Spurs: Open goal after rounding Lloris. Possibly could've taken it back on left and scored. Even still, missed it with his right. Again at 0-0, could've changed the result when we were well on top for that first half.

Wolves: It was offside but he didn't know and it was an absolutely shocking attempt at a totally free header from 8 yards, unmarked. Well wide.

Derby: Another missed one-on-one. Couldn't even hit the target. About three yards wide. Then a missed header from three yards, albeit slightly difficult but isn't he supposed to be excellent in the air? Costly again, chances were at 1-0 up and would've killed the game. Now we're out.

It is ridiculous having a striker that unreliable in front of goal.
Its ridiculous a club of United stature having only one out and out No 9, how has this been allowed to happen, even Moyes had RVP, Rooney, Chichorito and Wellbeck. We simply must buy another CFW and make Lukaku fight for his place. Cavani or Icardi are available we need to make this happen in the January window.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Its ridiculous a club of United stature having only one out and out No 9, how has this been allowed to happen, even Moyes had RVP, Rooney, Chichorito and Wellbeck. We simply must buy another CFW and make Lukaku fight for his place. Cavani or Icardi are available we need to make this happen in the January window.
We have Rashford or Martial who could be tried out as well but Jose sticks with some players forever

Johan07

What makes you believe that Cavani and/or Icardi are "available"? I think PSG and Inter would disagree with you quite emphatically. They are not selling any of their top forwards during the season and a CL-campaign.
And what makes you think that either of those two would want to come to United to play second fiddle to Lukaku and/or "fight" with him for his place anyhow?
Not going to happen.

HybridMoments

Leicester: One on one with Schmeichel, all the time in the world, Schmeichel saves. Should never have been allowed to.

Brighton: At 0-0, excellent chance to put us 1 up and potentially change that disaster of a result. Scuffs it about 3 yards wide.

Spurs: Open goal after rounding Lloris. Possibly could've taken it back on left and scored. Even still, missed it with his right. Again at 0-0, could've changed the result when we were well on top for that first half.

Wolves: It was offside but he didn't know and it was an absolutely shocking attempt at a totally free header from 8 yards, unmarked. Well wide.

Derby: Another missed one-on-one. Couldn't even hit the target. About three yards wide. Then a missed header from three yards, albeit slightly difficult but isn't he supposed to be excellent in the air? Costly again, chances were at 1-0 up and would've killed the game. Now we're out.

It is ridiculous having a striker that unreliable in front of goal.
Van Nistelrooy would have buried every single one of those chances!

Johan07

Fellaini is probably the one player in the squad that fits Mourinhos idea as a No9 the best after Lukaku. Guess we have to clone the big Fella though, since he seems to made the DM position his....

Woziak

What makes you believe that Cavani and/or Icardi are "available"? I think PSG and Inter would disagree with you quite emphatically. They are not selling any of their top forwards during the season and a CL-campaign.
And what makes you think that either of those two would want to come to United to play second fiddle to Lukaku and/or "fight" with him for his place anyhow?
Not going to happen.
What makes you think that 120M and 300k per week, three times Icardi current salary doesn't get that deal done and why would either pay second fiddle when they are superior Centre Forwards!

Woziak

We have Rashford or Martial who could be tried out as well but Jose sticks with some players forever
Agree but in Sir Alex Squad Lukaku would be 3rd choice and Rashford/Martial fighting their way up the ladder in 4th to 5th !

Johan07

What makes you think that 120M and 300k per week, three times Icardi current salary doesn't get that deal done and why would either pay second fiddle when they are superior Centre Forwards!
If you think that Inter for example would sell their captain and arguably best player in the middle of the season you are delirious.
Even more so if you think that we would or should pay 120M for him.
In addition its a moot point because Icardi would never play No9 under Mourinho before Lukaku. He does not have the attributes. Thus; Icardi is not a better player than Lukaku as long as we are living with Mourinho at least. Even without Mourinho at the helm it would be debatable at the least who is the better player.
Regardless of the selfevident fact that PSG would never get rid of Cavani either during the season; he is not good enough. And he is old, if you seriously are suggesting that we should pay 120M for him then I am back at the delirious-part again. Sorry.

flappyjay

Agree but in Sir Alex Squad Lukaku would be 3rd choice and Rashford/Martial fighting their way up the ladder in 4th to 5th !
At one point Welbeck was keeping Berba and chicha on the bench. I am sure Rashford, martial and Rom could be starters for Sir Alex. He would have found a way to play a two striker formation, I think as 2 man partnerships our strikers do complement each other very well. It's just that none were really made to be target man.

Greck

I'm sure he's firmly behind Jose but the irony of Lukaku at the moment is he isn't even playing as well as the guy who wants Jose gone. He had better start burying those chances if he wants to save Jose's tenure. Fair enough we don't create enough but some of his misses..yeesh

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He's missed sitters and gone through dips his whole career. I reckon he's struggling now more than ever because at Everton although 12th would be considered a bad season for us and we should be pushing for Europa League football, we're not expected to win every game, so if he has dips in form i doubt the pressure would be as much for him. At United that pressure will be magnified to a level he's not used to at all. Last season although disappointing for many of you was a height he's not reached as a full seasoned professional, so to start this one so poorly with the whole team playing trash he needs a bit of help.

Irwin99

He's missed sitters and gone through dips his whole career. I reckon he's struggling now more than ever because at Everton although 12th would be considered a bad season for us and we should be pushing for Europa League football, we're not expected to win every game, so if he has dips in form i doubt the pressure would be as much for him. At United that pressure will be magnified to a level he's not used to at all. Last season although disappointing for many of you was a height he's not reached as a full seasoned professional, so to start this one so poorly with the whole team playing trash he needs a bit of help.
So...you think he's not going to ever make that leap into the elite level of strikers? :( If so, that's depressing for a 75 million striker.

I really thought he'd hit 30+ goals in all comps for the first time this season and I still think he could, however his overall play this season so far looks really poor. I thought I saw an improvement in his overall game last season- like against Arsenal last year when he was superb without scoring.

el3mel

At one point Welbeck was keeping Berba and chicha on the bench. I am sure Rashford, martial and Rom could be starters for Sir Alex. He would have found a way to play a two striker formation, I think as 2 man partnerships our strikers do complement each other very well. It's just that none were really made to be target man.
Ferguson would have never thought about getting someone like Lukaku to lead the line for him. Rashford and Martial yes but Lukaku no.

laughtersassassin

Every game we have lost he has been a major reason. Of course, can't expect him to score every game but when you miss one or two sitters per game that would give you a lead or extend it then you are a major problem when the poor results come.

SImply not good enough from Rom.

Status
Not open for further replies.