4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

LJJT

Every game we have lost he has been a major reason. Of course, can't expect him to score every game but when you miss one or two sitters per game that would give you a lead or extend it then you are a major problem when the poor results come.

SImply not good enough from Rom.
Agree. He’s not good enough. We are going a goal up then not adding to it cos he can’t trap a bag of cement or misses a sitter. Tight games where we need to get the first goal he fluffs his lines. It’s really tight at the top and he can’t make the difference. He can bang a few in when we play some one crap- hence the goal tally’s

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So...you think he's not going to ever make that leap into the elite level of strikers? :( If so, that's depressing for a 75 million striker.

I really thought he'd hit 30+ goals in all comps for the first time this season and I still think he could, however his overall play this season so far looks really poor. I thought I saw an improvement in his overall game last season- like against Arsenal last year when he was superb without scoring.
I don’t think it’s any doubt that he will score you 20+ goals a season regularly. It’s just where those goals will come which is the problem. I’d have thought he’d iron out his inconsistencies by now definitely, and not be a clustered goal scorer.

Skills

Snitch
I find it hard to be harsh on him. He's quite obviously low on confidence, and it's hard to regain it playing for a team like ours. I remember we did the same to Zlatan in his first season here.

The problem is strikers go through these weird patches of looking clueless against the goal. In other teams, the team and the manager almost make it their mission to then get the striker firing. Even if they're 3-4 goals up, they'll do all they can to get their out of form striker a goal. I remember we did this at times under Fergie when Rooney, Van persie or Berbatov were out of form.

Over here, for one we don't create enough anyways so every chance he misses exponentially puts even more pressure on him. Then if we're scoring, there's no interest to actually use that as a chance to build momentum and your get your forwards in form.

finneh

Leicester: One on one with Schmeichel, all the time in the world, Schmeichel saves. Should never have been allowed to.

Brighton: At 0-0, excellent chance to put us 1 up and potentially change that disaster of a result. Scuffs it about 3 yards wide.

Spurs: Open goal after rounding Lloris. Possibly could've taken it back on left and scored. Even still, missed it with his right. Again at 0-0, could've changed the result when we were well on top for that first half.

Wolves: It was offside but he didn't know and it was an absolutely shocking attempt at a totally free header from 8 yards, unmarked. Well wide.

Derby: Another missed one-on-one. Couldn't even hit the target. About three yards wide. Then a missed header from three yards, albeit slightly difficult but isn't he supposed to be excellent in the air? Costly again, chances were at 1-0 up and would've killed the game. Now we're out.

It is ridiculous having a striker that unreliable in front of goal.
When you look at Mourinho's record when we go 1-0 up we're also unbeaten... I believe the record is something like 90 wins and 9 draws.

That makes the Brighton, Derby and Spurs misses particularly hard to take... Assuming we're 90% likely to win a match when going 1-0 up and 10% likely to draw then it's very likely that we'd be level with Chelsea/City in the table had he buried those two chances.

Mcking

Ferguson would have never thought about getting someone like Lukaku to lead the line for him. Rashford and Martial yes but Lukaku no.
You make Ferguson sound like a God or something. Man brought in Valencia, Owen and Obertan to replace Ronaldo.

Smores

I find it hard to be harsh on him. He's quite obviously low on confidence, and it's hard to regain it playing for a team like ours. I remember we did the same to Zlatan in his first season here.

The problem is strikers go through these weird patches of looking clueless against the goal. In other teams, the team and the manager almost make it their mission to then get the striker firing. Even if they're 3-4 goals up, they'll do all they can to get their out of form striker a goal. I remember we did this at times under Fergie when Rooney, Van persie or Berbatov were out of form.

Over here, for one we don't create enough anyways so every chance he misses exponentially puts even more pressure on him. Then if we're scoring, there's no interest to actually use that as a chance to build momentum and your get your forwards in form.
The stats really don't backup this idea that he isn't getting the service for shots. Salah, Aguero have nearly double the shots as him sure but every other striker has roughly the same or less. He actually only has one shot less on target than Aguero and one more than Kane.

el3mel

You make Ferguson sound like a God or something. Man brought in Valencia, Owen and Obertan to replace Ronaldo.
Weird right ? How can a United fan do it. :rolleyes:

I don't remember Fergie having any striker of Lukaku mold starting for him. He's not your typical United type forward. He has always been your Chelsea type striker but we agreed with it since we had Mourinho as our manager.

Mcking

Weird right ? How can a United fan do it. :rolleyes:

I don't remember Fergie having any striker of Lukaku mold starting for him. He's not your typical United type forward. He has always been your Chelsea type striker but we agreed with it since we had Mourinho as our manager.
I know Ferguson is one of the greatest managers of all-time, but the most amusing posts on this forum are the; SAF would have found a way to do this; It wouldn't be this way under SAF etc. Well SAF, helped by the fact he managed here for 27 consecutive years when we had the most money and the best players never had this current group of players. He would probably even look like a dinosaur in the EPL these days.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He was senile to some degree. He also replaced Kanchelskis with Beckham and followed that by signing Ronaldo.

el3mel

I know Ferguson is one of the greatest managers of all-time, but the most amusing posts on this forum are the; SAF would have found a way to do this; It wouldn't be this way under SAF etc. Well SAF, helped by the fact he managed here for 27 consecutive years when we had the most money and the best players never had this current group of players. He would probably even look like a dinosaur in the EPL these days.
He won't. He always adapted to new challenges coming the leagues continuously. He's the most adaptable manager I have ever seen.

Anyway, still Lukaku is far away from the type of strikers Fergie used to play with here.

Mcking

He won't. He always adapted to new challenges coming the leagues continuously. He's the most adaptable manager I have ever seen.

Anyway, still Lukaku is far away from the type of strikers Fergie used to play with here.
Another amusing one. You are making assumptions sound like facts. You do know Ferguson signed many different types of strikers in his 27 years here? For a RVN, there is a Saha and for a Saha, there is a Tevez. How do you conclude SAF wouldn't have signed Lukaku if he was the manager?

Witchking

Another amusing one. You are making assumptions sound like facts. You do know Ferguson signed many different types of strikers in his 27 years here? For a RVN, there is a Saha and for a Saha, there is a Tevez. How do you conclude SAF wouldn't have signed Lukaku if he was the manager?
Saha was an excellent striker. That makes your point invalid :D

I like Lukaku but I think we should of known what we were dealing with when he lost the golden boot to Kane. When I saw that happen I knew he wasn't levels...

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Saha was an excellent striker. That makes your point invalid :D
Wasn't he just. With him up front, United were seriously sexy up front and some of our best big match performances in the league in terms of fluidity in attack were with him leading the attack.

el3mel

Bring one striker similar to Lukaku in style that played as a main player under SAF, a clumsy poacher with no first touch who depends on his physicality and all his threat is from inside the box.

Otherwise your point is invalid.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm not being agree to him that SAF wouldn't like Lukaku in his team, but I have doubt he will sign him. If SAF is still in charge he would probably sign Kane instead to replace RVP 3 years ago. SAF loves buying English player, and he's not afraid to spend the money on striker.

Especially if the striker is English, he wouldn't care if he needs to deal with Levy. Honestly, SAF would probably think the cost is too expensive for a limit striker like Lukaku.

Saha, RVN, & Tevez are way above Lukaku overall.

He's not completely making an assumption, because SAF has survived for more than 20 years. He's not Wenger! SAF has proven himself he was able to adapt in many different generation and he has proven he was able to build a winning team in different generation. His great man management was the key to be able to adapt from old to new generation.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no way SAF would've signed Lukaku,or any of our current forwards at that.
Rashford would likely be on his 3rd loan by now too under SAF. Plying his trade in the championship.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
There is no way SAF would've signed Lukaku,or any of our current forwards at that.
Rashford would likely be on his 3rd loan by now too under SAF. Plying his trade in the championship.
Disagree. Probably wouldn't have signed Lukaku for sure, but the rest not sure. Rashford wouldn't be on loan if he was playing for England either.

daveoliver91

Sir Alex had so many underrated strikers that they turned out to be excellent and a really good asset for the team.
See Louis Saha or Alan Smith for example, really good second strikers we had coming out from the bench and they always delivered.

We don't have this at the moment, and it's really frustrating seeing Lukaku struggling, missing so many chances and not making enough runs. He gets desperate some times, yes it's true he doesn't have too much help, but he should deliver when he has a chance, but he doesn't. Probably the morale & confidence affects here, but he needs to switch on if he wants to become one top striker.

Let's see tomorrow what happens.

SAF wouldn't have gone near Martial due to lack of versatility and motivation.With Lukaku it'll boil down to his overal game.The attitude aligns with SAF but not the ability of the player.Same applies to Mata.
Sanchez would be dependant on age.This Sanchez I feel SAF wouldn't have gone near. Fergie would've smelt the fact the player is looking for one last pay-day.Though the Sanchez that left Barca and had yet to reach his peak ? Fergie may have thrown in his hat.

The only player I would feel comfortable in featuring for us under SAF would probably be Lingard.

Mcking

Bring one striker similar to Lukaku in style that played as a main player under SAF, a clumsy poacher with no first touch who depends on his physicality and all his threat is from inside the box.

Otherwise your point is invalid.
Your point is the one that is invalid. You keep making assumptions and make them sound like facts.
Under Fergie since I started watching United, I've seen Cole, Yorke, Ruud, Teddy, Solskjaer, Rooney, Saha, Tevez, Owen, Berbatov, Welbeck, Chicharito, RVP. I probably missed one or two, but a lot of them are/were different from each other. Lukaku is just another different type of Striker you can't assume that SAF wouldn't have signed.

Mcking

I'm not being agree to him that SAF wouldn't like Lukaku in his team, but I have doubt he will sign him. If SAF is still in charge he would probably sign Kane instead to replace RVP 3 years ago. SAF loves buying English player, and he's not afraid to spend the money on striker.

Especially if the striker is English, he wouldn't care if he needs to deal with Levy. Honestly, SAF would probably think the cost is too expensive for a limit striker like Lukaku.

You sound like SAF's PA. I never said that Lukaku is better than anyone, just that he is different from Ruud, the same way Ruud is different from Saha and Tevez.
He's not completely making an assumption, because SAF has survived for more than 20 years. He's not Wenger! SAF has proven himself he was able to adapt in many different generation and he has proven he was able to build a winning team in different generation. His great man management was the key to be able to adapt from old to new generation.
I know he deserves praise for that. But teams in the EPL right know have some very good coaches and can easily spend as much as we can and attract the best players, unlike back then.
Another amusing one
SAF wouldn't have gone near Martial due to lack of versatility and motivation.With Lukaku it'll boil down to his overal game.The attitude aligns with SAF but not the ability of the player.Same applies to Mata.
Sanchez would be dependant on age.This Sanchez I feel SAF wouldn't have gone near. Fergie would've smelt the fact the player is looking for one last pay-day.Though the Sanchez that left Barca and had yet to reach his peak ? Fergie may have thrown in his hat.

The only player I would feel comfortable in featuring for us under SAF would probably be Lingard.
Ah. I give up.

James Peril

It’s kind of naive to discuss what Fergie would and wouldn’t have done, my only opinion is that he would have made quicker decisions and found alternatives. He would not have played Lukaku every game - especially when you see his goal tally against the top teams in England.

Fergie’s list of signings is also filled with a lot of horrible players, albeit not such expensive failures at 75+M

Mcking

SAF liked his strikers to be able to control a ball,be technically rounded and have great instinct. Lukaku has none of those.
You just listed Lukaku's weaknesses. Mourinho likes his centerbacks to be physically strong, dominant on both the air and the ground. He wouldn't have signed Lindelof.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Not Lukakus fault for me. We have very little presence in the oppositions penalty area, we have very little attacking goal threat outside of Lukaku.

Last Season and This Season Combined:
Manchester City - 805 shots, 320 on target
Liverpool - 733 shots, 273 on target
Chelsea - 717 shots, 257 on target
Tottenham - 710 shots, 249 on target
Arsenal - 673 shots, 271 on target
Manchester United - 597 shots, 213 on target
Crystal Palace - 548 shots, 178 on target
Bournemouth - 543 shots, 183 on target
Southampton - 535 shots, 169 on target

We expect miracles from Lukaku and yet he has one of the highest conversion rates in the PL right now. He's putting away chances, the issue is that he doesn't get enough of them in a game so when he does miss it's often costly. Whereas an Aguero or Salah know that they'll have another 4/5 chances in a game (minimum). If you put him in a team that creates lots of chances he'd be fine and challenge for the golden boot every season imo. All strikers need service and our service is fecking appalling.

Sergio Agüero - 31 shots - 12.9% conversion
Mohamed Salah - 25 shots - 12.0% conversion
Romelu Lukaku - 16 shots - 25.0% conversion

Key Passes This Season:
Manchester City - 102
Chelsea - 92
Liverpool - 76
Arsenal - 69
Southampton - 68
Tottenham - 65
United - 63
Bournemouth - 63
Crystal Palace - 59

Last Season Key Pass Total:
Manchester City - 543
Liverpool - 526
Chelsea - 525
Tottenham - 511
Arsenal - 474
Manchester United - 399
Southampton - 391
Bournemouth - 385
Crystal Palace - 383

We don't create enough. We're actually closer to Southampton and Bournemouth in our attacking play than we are City, Liverpool.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle

Sorry but that's a load of nonsense to suggest Fergie would look for an English striker first as he loves them .

Plus if you look at the video of the charity match he took charge of United on You Tube after he retired he spent his team talk waxing lyrically about Lukaku and how he scored a hat trick against Rio And Vidic

breakout67

Supports
Man City
This thread is funny, slating Lukaku for not scoring every decent chance while the only other player actually contributing is a midfielder! It reminds me of the Ibra thread where no one else could hit a barn door so posters clammered over to his thread because he's the striker.

@RedSky has nailed it. Lukaku is performing fine, but because we create barely anything for him there is this expectation that he has to score every decent chance. If he was that good he's be challenging for the Balondor because he'd be scoring over a goal a game on average.

Cassidy

I agree we don't create enough. However I feel people are conflating last season with this season. Lukaku hasn't started this season well thats all, his form should pick up but its good he is still scoring some goals.

Overall though he hasn't shown he can be the guy to fire us to a title thus far. He needs to elevate his game and goal return against the top sides and be a player that wins us big games.

Woziak

If you think that Inter for example would sell their captain and arguably best player in the middle of the season you are delirious.
Even more so if you think that we would or should pay 120M for him.
In addition its a moot point because Icardi would never play No9 under Mourinho before Lukaku. He does not have the attributes. Thus; Icardi is not a better player than Lukaku as long as we are living with Mourinho at least. Even without Mourinho at the helm it would be debatable at the least who is the better player.
Regardless of the selfevident fact that PSG would never get rid of Cavani either during the season; he is not good enough. And he is old, if you seriously are suggesting that we should pay 120M for him then I am back at the delirious-part again. Sorry.
Woodward has a habit of delirous signings!

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
We definitely don't create anywhere near enough chances. Out of the teams in the top four, we ranked bottom in chances created and, consequentially, ranked last in goals scored. Touches in the opposition box was also way down, as was shots. The whole attacking structure is fecking broken.

Saying that, there's no doubt the guy is struggling this season. His confidence is clearly very low, and the chances he's missing are sitters most of the time. Regardless of whether we're creating enough chances or not, he got to be finishing them. Concentrating solely on chances created also ignores the fact that his overall game has been very poor at times. He's just simply not involved in the game, or linking up with anyone. The game against Wolves he was catastrophically bad.

Aloysius's Back 3

This thread is funny, slating Lukaku for not scoring every decent chance while the only other player actually contributing is a midfielder! It reminds me of the Ibra thread where no one else could hit a barn door so posters clammered over to his thread because he's the striker.

@RedSky has nailed it. Lukaku is performing fine, but because we create barely anything for him there is this expectation that he has to score every decent chance. If he was that good he's be challenging for the Balondor because he'd be scoring over a goal a game on average.
That's due to tactics. Jose is the only manager of any significance that has the option to use Martial, Rashford Sanchez, Lingard & Lukaku and continues to play with only one striker up front solely with everyone else being supportive towards Lukaku.

el3mel

Your point is the one that is invalid. You keep making assumptions and make them sound like facts.
Under Fergie since I started watching United, I've seen Cole, Yorke, Ruud, Teddy, Solskjaer, Rooney, Saha, Tevez, Owen, Berbatov, Welbeck, Chicharito, RVP. I probably missed one or two, but a lot of them are/were different from each other. Lukaku is just another different type of Striker you can't assume that SAF wouldn't have signed.
No examples then. I take it. :)

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I agree we don't create enough. However I feel people are conflating last season with this season. Lukaku hasn't started this season well thats all, his form should pick up but its good he is still scoring some goals.

Overall though he hasn't shown he can be the guy to fire us to a title thus far. He needs to elevate his game and goal return against the top sides and be a player that wins us big games.
He's on 25.0% conversion this season. 16 shots, 9 on target, 4 goals.
Last season he was on 18.6% conversion rate. 86 shots, 43 on target, 16 goals.

He's also taking shots more often, 29.6mins this season, 33.4mins last season, his accuracy is also slightly up.

Mcking

No examples then. I take it. :)
You don't have to cowardly hide behind examples man. You obviously understand what I mean. All those strikers are different from each other, except one thing they have in common - they can all put the ball in the back of the net. Lukaku can do that too.

Cassidy

He's on 25.0% conversion this season. 16 shots, 9 on target, 4 goals.
Last season he was on 18.6% conversion rate. 86 shots, 43 on target, 16 goals.

He's also taking shots more often, 29.6mins this season, 33.4mins last season, his accuracy is also slightly up.
I said his form, meaning not just his finishing but his overall play. I don't think hes playing to the level he was last season YET

el3mel

You don't have to cowardly hide behind examples man. You obviously understand what I mean. All those strikers are different from each other, except one thing they have in common - they can all put the ball in the back of the net. Lukaku can do that too.
All these strikers can play well with their feet, have good first touch, are threats in and out the box and show up in big games.

They all play the game differently but share common things he wanted in his striker. Ironcially all these things are missing from Lukaku.

Status
Not open for further replies.