4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajma

Not Lukakus fault for me. We have very little presence in the oppositions penalty area, we have very little attacking goal threat outside of Lukaku.

Last Season and This Season Combined:
Manchester City - 805 shots, 320 on target
Liverpool - 733 shots, 273 on target
Chelsea - 717 shots, 257 on target
Tottenham - 710 shots, 249 on target
Arsenal - 673 shots, 271 on target
Manchester United - 597 shots, 213 on target
Crystal Palace - 548 shots, 178 on target
Bournemouth - 543 shots, 183 on target
Southampton - 535 shots, 169 on target

We expect miracles from Lukaku and yet he has one of the highest conversion rates in the PL right now. He's putting away chances, the issue is that he doesn't get enough of them in a game so when he does miss it's often costly. Whereas an Aguero or Salah know that they'll have another 4/5 chances in a game (minimum). If you put him in a team that creates lots of chances he'd be fine and challenge for the golden boot every season imo. All strikers need service and our service is fecking appalling.

Sergio Agüero - 31 shots - 12.9% conversion
Mohamed Salah - 25 shots - 12.0% conversion
Romelu Lukaku - 16 shots - 25.0% conversion

Key Passes This Season:
Manchester City - 102
Chelsea - 92
Liverpool - 76
Arsenal - 69
Southampton - 68
Tottenham - 65
United - 63
Bournemouth - 63
Crystal Palace - 59

Last Season Key Pass Total:
Manchester City - 543
Liverpool - 526
Chelsea - 525
Tottenham - 511
Arsenal - 474
Manchester United - 399
Southampton - 391
Bournemouth - 385
Crystal Palace - 383

We don't create enough. We're actually closer to Southampton and Bournemouth in our attacking play than we are City, Liverpool.
Salah, Aguero, Kane etc. are able to create the space for the shot themselves in tight situations and also have a much better movement inside the box, hence they have more openings and shots as a result.

When was the last time Lukaku made a run in front of the defender to the near post for a cross? It’s embarrassing actually for so called forward.

Mcking

1. All these strikers can play well with their feet, 2. have good first touch, are 3. threats in and 4. out the box and 5. show up in big games.

6. They all play the game differently but share common things he wanted in his striker. Ironcially all these things are missing from Lukaku.
1. If all of them can play well with their feet, then Lukaku can too.
2. Understandable
3. You might be suprised to hear that Lukaku is a threat in the box too.
4. Chicharito, Welbeck, Ruud didn't score much from outside the box IIRC.
5. I agree Lukaku could do better, but not when everyone is camped in their own half. You probably watched those strikers when they were playing for some of the best Man Utd sides. Do you have their record in the big games before they joined United or another top team?
6. Have I forgotten anything? Did SAF say anything?
You do know there's always a first time in everything?

James Peril

I said his form, meaning not just his finishing but his overall play. I don't think hes playing to the level he was last season YET
He scored 16 league goals last season, where seven were scored in the first seven games. 9 goals from the middle of October until the end of the season - I guess patchy is the right word. So far he has started ok in terms of goals like last season, let’s see if he continues or if he hits a rough patch deluxe again. Most importantly he has to score against the good teams. He has like one in ten so far.

el3mel

1. If all of them can play well with their feet, then Lukaku can too.
2. Understandable
3. You might be suprised to hear that Lukaku is a threat in the box too.
4. Chicharito, Welbeck, Ruud didn't score much from outside the box IIRC.
5. I agree Lukaku could do better, but not when everyone is camped in their own half. You probably watched those strikers when they were playing for some of the best Man Utd sides. Do you have their record in the big games before they joined United or another top team?
6. Have I forgotten anything? Did SAF say anything?
You do know there's always a first time in everything?
1 - No he can't.
2-ok.
3-don't cut the sentence.
4- Chicha was on the bench not a main striker, Welbeck was also a sub and even played a lot on the wing but :

As for Ruud

Can't see Lukaku scoring such goal here.

5- You won't get 10 chances in big games, anyway he missed critical sitters in them for us as well, like the chance against City last season at OT and Spurs game this season, and those were tap ins.
Also it's pretty hard to create fo striker with rubbish movement and crap holding up especially in tight areas. He doesn't do himself or his teammates any favlr.

6- Easy to notice the pattern in the strikers he used to play with.
Lukaku is simply a final third poacher. When SAF had a nothing but a poacher like Chihca he had him as a sub being put in final minutes when he's pressing the opponent, not the main man leading the team.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He scored 16 league goals last season, where seven were scored in the first seven games. 9 goals from the middle of October until the end of the season - I guess patchy is the right word. So far he has started ok in terms of goals like last season, let’s see if he continues or if he hits a rough patch deluxe again. Most importantly he has to score against the good teams. He has like one in ten so far.
So even when my post says Im not talking about his finishing but overall play, you reply with goal stats....

Mcking

1 - No he can't.
2-ok.
3-don't cut the sentence.
4- Chicha was on the bench not a main striker, Welbeck was also a sub and even played a lot on the wing but :

As for Ruud

Can't see Lukaku scoring such goal here.

5- You won't get 10 chances in big games, anyway he missed critical sitters in them for us as well, like the chance against City last season at OT and Spurs game this season, and those were tap ins.
Also it's pretty hard to create fo striker with rubbish movement and crap holding up especially in tight areas. He doesn't do himself or his teammates any favlr.

6- Easy to notice the pattern in the strikers he used to play with.
Lukaku is simply a final third poacher. When SAF had a nothing but a poacher like Chihca he had him as a sub being put in final minutes when he's pressing the opponent, not the main man leading the team.
Lukaku is not a poacher if you don't consider Ruud one and Ruud was pretty much our starman back then. RVN scored just one of his 150 goals for us from outside the box and Chicharito, all from inside the box. So the notion that his strikers are always a threat outside the box and that all SAF strikers are similar is invalid and we can all conclude that Ruud and Chicharito are different from the other strikers.
Lukaku is very adept at dribbling past defenders and scoring - Something Ruud hardly did, so he can pretty much use his feet.

Smores

Not Lukakus fault for me. We have very little presence in the oppositions penalty area, we have very little attacking goal threat outside of Lukaku.

Last Season and This Season Combined:
Manchester City - 805 shots, 320 on target
Liverpool - 733 shots, 273 on target
Chelsea - 717 shots, 257 on target
Tottenham - 710 shots, 249 on target
Arsenal - 673 shots, 271 on target
Manchester United - 597 shots, 213 on target
Crystal Palace - 548 shots, 178 on target
Bournemouth - 543 shots, 183 on target
Southampton - 535 shots, 169 on target

We expect miracles from Lukaku and yet he has one of the highest conversion rates in the PL right now. He's putting away chances, the issue is that he doesn't get enough of them in a game so when he does miss it's often costly. Whereas an Aguero or Salah know that they'll have another 4/5 chances in a game (minimum). If you put him in a team that creates lots of chances he'd be fine and challenge for the golden boot every season imo. All strikers need service and our service is fecking appalling.

Sergio Agüero - 31 shots - 12.9% conversion
Mohamed Salah - 25 shots - 12.0% conversion
Romelu Lukaku - 16 shots - 25.0% conversion

Key Passes This Season:
Manchester City - 102
Chelsea - 92
Liverpool - 76
Arsenal - 69
Southampton - 68
Tottenham - 65
United - 63
Bournemouth - 63
Crystal Palace - 59

Last Season Key Pass Total:
Manchester City - 543
Liverpool - 526
Chelsea - 525
Tottenham - 511
Arsenal - 474
Manchester United - 399
Southampton - 391
Bournemouth - 385
Crystal Palace - 383

We don't create enough. We're actually closer to Southampton and Bournemouth in our attacking play than we are City, Liverpool.
And compared to Kane, Vardy, Firminho, Giroud, Auba? You've been very selective in your stats there Redsky as you surely spotted he's above all of them.

The two you've quoted are the two way out in front in terms of shots because of the way they personally play, Salah is always going to have more shots because he takes pot shots. Lukaku takes shots closer to the goal and thats why he actually only has one shot less on target than Aguero and one more than Kane but he's been poor in his finishing.

The argument that it's okay for Lukaku to miss good opportunities that others are putting away because he has less opportunity in less dangerous areas is thin to say the least.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
And compared to Kane, Vardy, Firminho, Giroud, Auba? You've been very selective in your stats there Redsky as you surely spotted he's above all of them.

The two you've quoted are the two way out in front in terms of shots because of the way they personally play, Salah is always going to have more shots because he takes pot shots. Lukaku takes shots closer to the goal and thats why he actually only has one shot less on target than Aguero and one more than Kane but he's been poor in his finishing.

The argument that it's okay for Lukaku to miss good opportunities that others are putting away because he has less opportunity in less dangerous areas is thin to say the least.
Redoing this post with more. brb.

Last edited:

Stacks

Lukaku is not a poacher if you don't consider Ruud one and Ruud was pretty much our starman back then. RVN scored just one of his 150 goals for us from outside the box and Chicharito, all from inside the box. So the notion that his strikers are always a threat outside the box and that all SAF strikers are similar is invalid and we can all conclude that Ruud and Chicharito are different from the other strikers.
Lukaku is very adept at dribbling past defenders and scoring - Something Ruud hardly did, so he can pretty much use his feet.
Did you just compare Ruud and Lukaku dribbling? RVN was far better at dribbling in tight spaces with defenders around. I am at the barber's now but when home I will show you goals Ruud has scored that Rom would fumble because he lacks the close control and quick feet to shift it past the defender. Ruud has quick feet where as Rom has Timbs on his feet. Cannot believe you feel that Rom can dribble past defenders and score more proficiently than Ruud could

el3mel

I didn't say Ruud wasn't a poacher, but he had other qualities. He can play with his feet ( and that doesn't necessary mean being a creator, but he can use his feet when he gets it ) and his close control and first touch were on another level to Lukaku. The goal Ruud scored from half the line against Fulham, Lukaku will never be able to pull it out I ensure you. Ruud was also far more clinical than Lukaku anyway.

On the other hand Lukaku has a terrible first touch especially in tight situations, can't hold the ball up well with his back to the goal and is very clumsy with the it. Pretty hard to create anything for a striker like this except tap-ins in the box, which his people seem to want us to create for him all the time that way to score while other top strikers score from nothing chances.

When did Lukaku even dribble past an opposition defender here successfully or try to take a shot from outside the box ?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Alright, thrown together some stats in this spreadsheet. Summary sheet shows the basics but you can click on each season for some more in depth stats.

Only recorded touches from 18-19 because I have to load each individual game to be able to do it and then I have to go through each individual player. It takes fecking forever.

It's kind of mixed reading if i'm honest. Some good, some bad. Lukaku doesn't shoot as much in the six yard box as most of the rest, his conversion rate is similar to Kanes. The only real difference between Kane and Lukaku is that Kane has significantly more shots. I'm impressed by Vardys stats. Also in terms of shots outside of the box I removed those as @Smores wanted to look at them in the penalty area. But there weren't many goals scored outside of the penalty area.

El Jefe

Comparing Lukaku to Ruud favourably in anything to do with the ball is truly baffling :houllier:

Lukaku is a worse version of Mario Gomez. Great stats (good in Rom's case) but a hindrance to the team in the long term due to several limitations. He's the kind of player who's good enough to start for us when he's in form but any other time, he's just not good enough.

48 hours

found this video of him from last season. I know it’s obviously picking his worst moment, but he does seem to have a lot of them

Charles Miller

found this video of him from last season. I know it’s obviously picking his worst moment, but he does seem to have a lot of them
There are some "Cavani miss compilation" in youtube. Those videos are funny, but we can make majority of players look awful if we pick their worst moments.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
The stats are getting boring. He's been shit this season and most of last. Shots and conversion rates dont say anything.

If you watch the games you will know that Lukaku is woefully out of form.

Then you have people saying they love his attitude and work rate. Well that's really nice. I see him standing around breathing heavily for most games actually.

He needs to start producing the goods or sit on the bench. He is a major source of our current problems.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
When did you start watching football? How much have you watched Lukaku play?

I’ve watched Since he played at Chelsea and Everton

Firstly he can’t dribble that’s so obvious he plays like he’s wearing steel-toe cap boots with lead in them too.

And he will miss many more than he actually scores which is apparent from his numerous 1 on 1s he missed which have cost us in our last 5 or 6 games.

Canagel

His overall play wasn't good to begin with but he was more clinical last season. Now he isn't even clinical anymore. Should be dropped but won't be.

Mcking

Did you just compare Ruud and Lukaku dribbling? RVN was far better at dribbling in tight spaces with defenders around. I am at the barber's now but when home I will show you goals Ruud has scored that Rom would fumble because he lacks the close control and quick feet to shift it past the defender. Ruud has quick feet where as Rom has Timbs on his feet. Cannot believe you feel that Rom can dribble past defenders and score more proficiently than Ruud could
I meant one vs one dribbling btw - Gray-Martial-style dribbling, not just a quick feint, cut back or turn away from a defender etc before finishing. My view on Ruud's dribbling was a bit OTT I admit, but if you are really unbiased about Lukaku and actually watched him - I mean watched him - before he joined us, you should know he's adept at dribbling past players. It's just that he has not done it much for us and seem to have put a lot of weight.
Mind you, I never meant to really compare RVN and Lukaku. I'm not an idiot that would do that. Ruud was a world class striker and a galaxy away from the current Lukaku. The assumption and conclusion that SAF wouldn't sign Lukaku because he is different from his other strikers, despite most of those strikers being different from each other is just as stupid as comparing Ruud and Lukaku as strikers.

Mcking

I’ve watched Since he played at Chelsea and Everton

Firstly he can’t dribble that’s so obvious he plays like he’s wearing steel-toe cap boots with lead in them too.

And he will miss many more than he actually scores which is apparent from his numerous 1 on 1s he missed which have cost us in our last 5 or 6 games.
I have nothing to say.

LoneStar

I think he needs to be benched, for his own good as well. I would start Sanchez up top and see if he works. I think Sanchez is more 'physical' than Lukaku anyway. The guy is built like a tank, but simply doesn't use those attributes well.

Neo_Mufc

I think we might just have to accept the fact that we bought a player who has all the qualities of a top striker but hasn't yet developed his overall game to become one of the best. If he can't do the basics right by scoring simple goals then how does he develop other aspects of his game.

I always felt watching Lukaku at Everton was he is a confidence player who went on hot and cold streaks and that signing him would be a risk but one that should work in our favour because we have better players around him than he did at Goodison.

It would be harsh to say we signed a dud but I think the way the team is playing doesn't help him one bit because he isn't receiving those balls that top strikers need sometimes. Sanchez/Lingard aren't providing much so he obviously looks lost up top during games and when he misses chances we are even more frustrated.

At the moment is either isolated or he is being used to come deep receive the ball and create which doesn't suit him.

Personally I think we should try resting him for the W.Ham game and bring Rashford in to give him a chance.

Silas

I think we might just have to accept the fact that we bought a player who has all the qualities of a top striker but hasn't yet developed his overall game to become one of the best. If he can't do the basics right by scoring simple goals then how does he develop other aspects of his game.

I always felt watching Lukaku at Everton was he is a confidence player who went on hot and cold streaks and that signing him would be a risk but one that should work in our favour because we have better players around him than he did at Goodison.

It would be harsh to say we signed a dud but I think the way the team is playing doesn't help him one bit because he isn't receiving those balls that top strikers need sometimes. Sanchez/Lingard aren't providing much so he obviously looks lost up top during games and when he misses chances we are even more frustrated.

At the moment is either isolated or he is being used to come deep receive the ball and create which doesn't suit him.

Personally I think we should try resting him for the W.Ham game and bring Rashford in to give him a chance.
Does he?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You sound like SAF's PA. I never said that Lukaku is better than anyone, just that he is different from Ruud, the same way Ruud is different from Saha and Tevez.
I was just saying Ruud, Saha & Tevez are very good strikers with a lot of quality to offer and that's why SAF signed them. Compare them to Lukaku, they are way above Lukaku overall.

It's not about being different striker, it's about the quality those strikers can offer. For a limit striker like Lukaku I have doubt SAF is willing to spend massive on him.

I know he deserves praise for that. But teams in the EPL right know have some very good coaches and can easily spend as much as we can and attract the best players, unlike back then.
You are the one who making assumption, your statement isn't a fact. What makes you think SAF can't attract best players and adapt in the current EPL when he has prove himself for 20 years that he had done it in different generation?

SATA

Yes he should be dropped for tomorrow or rather to put it nicely, given a breather. Put Sanchez at nine and play Martial on the left. I believe Martial has earn his spot in the team in the last couple of games

Mcking

Yes he should be dropped for tomorrow or rather to put it nicely, given a breather. Put Sanchez at nine and play Martial on the left. I believe Martial has earn his spot in the team in the last couple of games
Why should Lukaku be dropped? Understanble if we had another striker waiting on the wings. But Sanchez?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Sorry but that's a load of nonsense to suggest Fergie would look for an English striker first as he loves them .
It's nonsense indeed if you interpreted my post that way

But it's different story if he decides to look for Kane the expensive English striker over a limit, non English and expensive striker like Lukaku.

Plus if you look at the video of the charity match he took charge of United on You Tube after he retired he spent his team talk waxing lyrically about Lukaku and how he scored a hat trick against Rio And Vidic
The video was meant for banter.

Lukaku never scored hattrick against Vidic before, Vidic didn't even play during SAF last game.

Lukaku never actually scored hattrick against Rio because Rio came on for 5 min only and at that time Lukaku has already scored 2 goals before he came on.

You are dreaming if Lukaku ever score hattrick against those duo when they are on the field together. Good stuff that you mentioned it, otherwise I wouldn't remind you this and it will stuck in your mind that Lukaku scored hattrick against Rio & Vidic.

Aloysius's Back 3

We have plenty strikers - Just not strikers in the eyes of Jose.

Almost consequentially - Some are better in the air whilst the rest are those strikers that are better with the ball on the ground. All Jose needs to do is alter the tactics to change how we play depending on the Forwards we use.

Neo_Mufc

I mean I don't want to be too harsh on him, he's a powerful player, can hold the ball up, is able to dribble take on defenders(needs to do this more)

I genuinely thought he comes to Utd and we would improve in terms of creating from outside of the box. Improve his dribbling and definitely his first touch. I know he lacks a first touch at times but I really felt like he was at 60% of full capacity and we would give him that extra last bit.

I think I'm just disappointed tbh. He will hit 25 goals or so overall this season but it's going to come in bursts around the season.

Mcking

I was just saying Ruud, Saha & Tevez are very good strikers with a lot of quality to offer and that's why SAF signed them. Compare them to Lukaku, they are way above Lukaku overall.

It's not about being different striker, it's about the quality those strikers can offer. For a limit striker like Lukaku I have doubt SAF is willing to spend massive on him.
I understand your POV, but you should also remember that SAF did signed some players just as talented as Lukaku. So you can't just conclude that he wouldn't sign him.
You are the one who making assumption, your statement isn't a fact. What makes you think SAF can't attract best players and adapt in the current EPL when he has prove himself for 20 years that he had done it in different generation?
I made an assumption, but didn't state it as a fact. 1980s to circa 2010 are basically a single era. He could probably still attract players, but so could every other club these days. The top managers are in the EPL, money easily talks now and clubs are far more stronger and richer now and can easily resist any bids for their players.
Back then, we had and just signed the leagues' best players - especially English ones - and blended them with the class of 92 and the foreign players. It would be tough to sign the best players from the EPL now and the class of 92 are no more. I'm not saying SAF will defo struggle, but he might struggle to adapt.
This is the Lukaku thread though, so I will say no more.

Stacks

I meant one vs one dribbling btw - Gray-Martial-style dribbling, not just a quick feint, cut back or turn away from a defender etc before finishing. My view on Ruud's dribbling was a bit OTT I admit, but if you are really unbiased about Lukaku and actually watched him - I mean watched him - before he joined us, you should know he's adept at dribbling past players. It's just that he has not done it much for us and seem to have put a lot of weight.
Mind you, I never meant to really compare RVN and Lukaku. I'm not an idiot that would do that. Ruud was a world class striker and a galaxy away from the current Lukaku. The assumption and conclusion that SAF wouldn't sign Lukaku because he is different from his other strikers, despite most of those strikers being different from each other is just as stupid as comparing Ruud and Lukaku as strikers.
Lukuku doesn't often beat a man before scoring a goal. If he did, this thread would not exist

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Remember a Twitter comment saying that Lukaku plays like he's wearing jeans.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I understand your POV, but you should also remember that SAF did signed some players just as talented as Lukaku. So you can't just conclude that he wouldn't sign him.
SAF has signed limit striker like Chicharito but the cost was cheap.

In Lukaku's, the cost way too expensive and that's why I conclude that SAF won't spend 80m on a limit striker like Lukaku. If SAF didn't think that anything more than 25m for RVP who can be injury prone with one year contract left is not worth the punt, SAF would have think the same way that 80m for a limit a striker like Lukaku isn't worth of punt.

I made an assumption, but didn't state it as a fact. 1980s to circa 2010 are basically a single era. He could probably still attract players, but so could every other club these days. The top managers are in the EPL, money easily talks now and clubs are far more stronger and richer now and can easily resist any bids for their players.
Back then, we had and just signed the leagues' best players - especially English ones - and blended them with the class of 92 and the foreign players. It would be tough to sign the best players from the EPL now and the class of 92 are no more. I'm not saying SAF will defo struggle, but he might struggle to adapt.
This is the Lukaku thread though, so I will say no more.
1980s to circa 2010 is "a single era"??

You need to watch all the games between 1980s to 2013 then because they are different era, teams are playing different style in 1980s, 1990s, early 2000 and post 2010. SAF has proven himself he can adapt in different generation, how can you still have more doubt in him. In his last season which only 5 years from today, he won the league with Cleverley, Welbeck, Evans & Jones.

SAF can attract big names, and we got the money as well. It sounds like you mistook SAF to Wenger.

sam147

He is at United because Jose wanted a target man and he was the best available. He is not a United striker. He is not a striker that will win us the league. He goes through massive goal droughts. The only way we can compensate for that is if our widemen would score more goals but that doesnt happen either. Lukaku is a great guy. He shows brilliant play to hold the ball in the wide areas, yet his touch hinders our link up play. Ill always maintain that he is a striker for a smaller team. With United teams sit back and he doesn't get room to run in behind. If we get a new manager I hope our style of play changes and Lukaku succeeds because he is a great guy. If not I hope we sign Icardi who is an actual consistent goal scorer, a leader and a PL striker.

Mcking

The way people just go on about Lukaku not being good enough, wont win us the title, doesn't score enough blah blah blah. Why not just admit we are shite and that he is another player whose carrer we've stalled? Man literally bagged in 25 goals in his last season at Everton. You can't do that in this league without being a top top striker. We are the one holding him back, not the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.