Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Agree. In Jose's first season we pummeled teams, but either the players did not have the goalscoring boots on or the opposition keepers had the game of their lives.
I still remember the Burnley GK (Heaton). The guy was unbeatable. I do remember keeping an eye on him to see if he repeated the feat the following week. Alas, the following week I believe he conceded 3-4 goals.
GKs were coming to OT and having the game of their lives - I mean literally, the game of their lives, ie. they have never played that well in their life, before.

Those were the good ol' days.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I would say it's more the pattern of movement. Lukaku is a big guy but he's more of a Hernandez than a Drogba.
Don't get me wrong, he hasn't been great this season but the way we play doesn't help him IMO.
Hernandez's movement is the best I've seen. Outstanding. He could finish as well. His problem was the rest of his game was lacking and that's the similarity with Lukaku.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Hernandez's movement is the best I've seen. Outstanding. He could finish as well. His problem was the rest of his game was lacking and that's the similarity with Lukaku.
I agree with you, but my point was that a guy like Hernandez would struggle in this system. Lukaku's appearance fools people a bit but he is more that type of striker rather than a target man a la Drogba.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I agree with you, but my point was that a guy like Hernandez would struggle in this system. Lukaku's appearance fools people a bit but he is more that type of striker rather than a target man a la Drogba.
I agree with this, and also we don't have any attacking patterns....that's on the manager, however players are getting the ball, looking for movement and Lukaku isn't offering any. That's not good enough. This myth that he works hard is the most confusing for me.

Springfield WildCats

He strikes me as cat caught in the headlights, just doesn’t have that killer instinct in front of goal, yea may rack up the goals against the minnows but against any halve decent centre back he will struggle. I was buzzing when we signed him but he just isn’t a United no player, no shame as he can go elsewhere and be good player

Devil may care

Does it not really show that goal stats alone are a shallow way of judging a strikers worth?

Give me a forward scoring 18-20 goals a season but is also adaptable, technically sound and brings the best out of the attackers around him every time over the 35 goal man who makes the team predictable.
This was my point about him from the start, there's so much more to being a top striker in the modern game than just goal stats, it's not the Lineker era.

No he wasn't. After he broke his two and a half month goal drought in the Premier League his next few celebrations were notably sulky and muted. From what I remember it was noticeable enough for threads on here to be made and articles to be written.
I think he was acting defiant with those non celebrations, but the majority of the season he played with energy and drive and looked like he wanted to impose himself as a leader, now he looks beleaguered.

Vernon Philander

There's some truth in this. I said previously in Mourinho first season here with Zlatan up front we were creating loads of chances per game and our problem was to convert them. Enter Lukaku, and suddenly our chance creation dropped massively. Even in Mourinho first season we always looked poor when the big man wasn't playing.

Now Zlatan wasn't very clinical and missed many chances I know, but he was the reason we were creating chances to start with. Best football under Mourinho here, result aside, was with Zlatan leading the line.
Agree with this completely. Will need to find the stats, but iirc Zlatan scored quite a high proportion of our goals that season. Where we fell down in the league was no one else in the squad being able to put away the chances created.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There's some truth in this. I said previously in Mourinho first season here with Zlatan up front we were creating loads of chances per game and our problem was to convert them. Enter Lukaku, and suddenly our chance creation dropped massively. Even in Mourinho first season we always looked poor when the big man wasn't playing.

Now Zlatan wasn't very clinical and missed many chances I know, but he was the reason we were creating chances to start with. Best football under Mourinho here, result aside, was with Zlatan leading the line.
I seem to recall Mourinho highlighting the difference in Zlatan and Lukaku's style of play as a positive thing when Lukaku signed, suggesting that Lukaku's ability to attack behind the opposition defence rather than drop deeper as Zlatan did would help the team. Presumably he thought the rest of the team would step up and provide the creativity.

The Hernandez comparisons are also interesting as Mou specifically mentioned Hernandez as the type of player who could have scored a ton of goals that season.

Whatever Mou's plans for our attack were, they certainly haven't panned out.

goin4glory

I'd be happy with us signing another forward as competition, either Rodrygo at Valencia or Piatek both young forwards with high ceilings.

rooneyberbatov

Should be benched tomorrow. He’s been useless for weeks. No confidence, no movement, he offers nothing except for waiting for Young’s crosses. Play Sanchez/Rashford/Martial or Mata.

JoaquinJoaquin

Really liked the guy last season, but this season he just seems the complete opposite. Looks lazy, unmotivated and never looks like he is going to score. If Zidane did come in I cannot imagine him persevering with Lukaku like Jose does.

Greck

One day we'll get a striker who can consistently execute basic one-twos so we aren't awful breaking teams down through the middle

Some of the replies :lol:

Moriarty

Look at that video and imagine, say, Sparky in his prime getting that pass, or Rooney, or Ruud, or Yorkie...

I don't know whether it's just an awful run of form or that he just hasn't got the basic skills to play those one-twos in a tight space. It's baffling.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
One day we'll get a striker who can consistently execute basic one-twos so we aren't awful breaking teams down through the middle

:lol::lol::lol:
I remember people defending him at the time we signed him when a few pointed out that he has a really bad first touch.
Also reading that Morata vs Lukaku thread is pure gold - both competing for the worst transfer of the decade :lol:

el3mel

This video should be a given to anyone who thinks a manager who will want to play fast free fluid attacking football will be fine with this guy leading the line for him.

Last edited:

Greck

This video should be a given to anyone who think a manager who will want to play fast free fluid attacking football will be fine with this guy leading the line for him.
I think it's why Hazard sometimes ignores him when they play for Belgium

RikRuud

I think it's why Hazard sometimes ignores him when they play for Belgium
This. Our players regularly avoid ground passes to him. Just does not have the close control or technical ability to be at the top. Its the difference between being world class.

Aloysius's Back 3

His first touch, his inablity to hold the ball off play, inability to play basic one touch football is the reason that Martial should play as the furthest man forward who falls deep to receive the ball on the ground & initiate play to the wider forwards such as Rashfprd & Lukaku playing on either side of him.

Problem for Lukaku is - if that happens maybe there is a better player than him; especially under a manager who wants to play cohesive fluid football.

LegendCantona7

I remember when Jose dropped Lukaku towards end of last season and played Martial, Rashford and Sanchez. They did not play well, but it was their first game playing together as a trio. Jose just went on his usual I told you so post match press conference. Let the 3 gel and lets see. What was he expecting from one game and a few training sessions.

With Rashford, Martial and Sanchez, for a few years I can see them being the new Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney. They could potentially be our Firminho, Salah and Mane or Aguero, Sterling and Sane. Quick thinking, counter attacking, pacey players who would scare any defence.

Stacks

I remember when Jose dropped Lukaku towards end of last season and played Martial, Rashford and Sanchez. They did not play well, but it was their first game playing together as a trio. Jose just went on his usual I told you so post match press conference. Let the 3 gel and lets see. What was he expecting from one game and a few training sessions.

With Rashford, Martial and Sanchez, for a few years I can see them being the new Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney. They could potentially be our Firminho, Salah and Mane or Aguero, Sterling and Sane. Quick thinking, counter attacking, pacey players who would scare any defence.
Ok.

Treble

Nobody can be sure about Rashford and Martial. I very much doubt that they are comparable to Ronaldo and Rooney. Sanchez though...He seems finished. Tevez was 24 y.o. in 2008 and was full with energy.

Canagel

Lukaku isn't going to succeed here because his game isn't refined enough. Such big flaws won't be covered up by goals only. When he played for Everton teams attacked so he lots of space to run into which is basically the only time he looks useful dribbling with the ball. At United teams defend against us so you need to have more to your game. You've got to be comfortable dropping deep, linking up with other players, 1-2 passes to break teams down the middle and finding space in behind .Lukaku can't do this. He wants to run with the ball but there's no space in behind. You've got to drag defenders away, drop deep if needs be, and be comfortable receiving the ball on either wing.

This video should be a given to anyone who thinks a manager who will want to play fast free fluid attacking football will be fine with this guy leading the line for him.
Martial and Rashford up top is the way to go. They showed us what they could do in LVG last season.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Really liked the guy last season, but this season he just seems the complete opposite. Looks lazy, unmotivated and never looks like he is going to score. If Zidane did come in I cannot imagine him persevering with Lukaku like Jose does.
This. Weird. Had a bad spell after his initial flourish last year and worked his way out of it. All the warrior stuff was quite endearing, backed up as it was by real attitude on the pitch. Where's that all gone. Without the attitude, you're left with just the football to judge him on. And let's face it, that's pretty shit.

spiriticon

Martial and Rashford up top is the way to go. They showed us what they could do in LVG last season.
I also think that is way to go to improve our attack.

Unfortunately Mourinho has got no idea how to play with fast strikers who run behind the lines. His game plan revolves around having physicality up front and there really isn't a plan B.

TonyStark

Supports
Everton
Hello all, as an Everton fan I feel somewhat guilty taking such a fee from Utd for Rom. He was ‘successful’ for us as the whole game plan was taylored to ‘getting the best’ out of him. I’m honestly not just saying this, I can’t think of a game where he was actually the difference for us and am interested to hear if he ever has been for yourselves. Yes he scored a lot of goals but hatricks in 6 goal victories and injury time braces against sides already 2-0 down etc seriously mask his abundant shortcomings. Big Dunc became a legend with far fewer goals but that’s because he got winners against the likes of Utd and the Gobs***es.... a big game player. Sorry again but Everton really did have your pants down there.

Aloysius's Back 3

This is what I'm saying - they could easily score 14 goals each per season at the very least with also having the ability to bring others in to play more often than we already do.

The reason I didn't want Jose was the fact that this was never going to happen - he has at max given them 2 or 3 CF games upfront together & still doesn't adapt the tactics when he does do that.

Ibrahimovic was bought here to get us back to CL but to also get United used to the fact that there will be a new striker after him that will be playing in his position.

Jose is one of the very few managers who would have the option to manage martial & Rashford only to buy a striker like Lukaku to play upfront by themselves.

Everyone post LVG as dying to see Rashford & Martial together - can't believe its been 3 seasons & we have yet to see anything.

Aloysius's Back 3

Hello all, as an Everton fan I feel somewhat guilty taking such a fee from Utd for Rom. He was ‘successful’ for us as the whole game plan was taylored to ‘getting the best’ out of him. I’m honestly not just saying this, I can’t think of a game where he was actually the difference for us and am interested to hear if he ever has been for yourselves. Yes he scored a lot of goals but hatricks in 6 goal victories and injury time braces against sides already 2-0 down etc seriously mask his abundant shortcomings. Big Dunc became a legend with far fewer goals but that’s because he got winners against the likes of Utd and the Gobs***es.... a big game player. Sorry again but Everton really did have your pants down there.
We knew you guys did - you have spent the money well!

Lukaku was really confusing - going from someone Jose had sold at Chelsea to buying him to become our one and only striker here at United.

Boycott

There's an old idea that a man who has to tell people how strong in the mind he is and how confident he is actually is a very insecure fragile man.

I get that sense from Lukaku just watching him on the pitch. The fact that he is a very patchy striker in terms of scoring goals, but he's also patchy in terms of missing chances. It's one thing being a striker and not getting service for five games, it's another being a striker and getting chances and missing them all. Great players miss sitters but what makes them great is they can put it out of their mind and focus on the next one whereas it certainly looks like Lukaku feels the burden of pressure.

Look how he was giving team talks at the world cup and acting like a leader yet here he acts like a mouse.

James Peril

You signed on and got by the newbies to tell us that? Everton-fans were crying when he left and he would still be their most important player. What do they have up top these days... Cenk Tosun and Calvert-Lewin? Good luck getting top 10 with that.

Greck

We know but it's not like the decision was made on our vote. It's not even in our club tradition to have technically clumsy strikers but Jose needed his lump up top. You didn't exactly use the money wisely though

TonyStark

Supports
Everton
We knew you guys did - you have spent the money well!

Lukaku was really confusing - going from someone Jose had sold at Chelsea to buying him to become our one and only striker here at United.
Ha spending last year was ironically somewhat hit n miss!

I came across this forum after some of our support debating having him back. It seems fans of him always bemoan the lack of service he received/ receives, seemingly blind to the fact if he could trap a bag of sand and had any remote sense of hold up play or movement he might actually allow chances to be created. For me he was useful to a team of our current standing, but was never going to elevate us, it’s early days but richalison for example looks to be a match winner. Hell, even an aging Rooney stepped up to the plate more in one season than I think Rom did in his entire time with us. far far too often Lukaku was totally anonymous for us more often than not when you expect your big guns to prove their worth.

TonyStark

Supports
Everton
You signed on and got by the newbies to tell us that? Everton-fans were crying when he left and he would still be their most important player. What do they have up top these days... Cenk Tosun and Calvert-Lewin? Good luck getting top 10 with that.
Ha Last post as I’m a newbie! Genuinely just interested in the general take on him, I get the sense he divides opinion as much as he did with us. I was more than happy to move him on the way we did.
As for who we’ve got up front that’s kind of the point for all his goals we finished 11th twice in 2 of his 4 seasons with us! He just didn’t make the impact his goal tally suggests. If Tosun and DCL scored five goals between them but were decisive goals nicking a win I’d happily take that over a bagful of late game cake toppers.
Like I said just curious to see the Utd perspective on him

JoaquinJoaquin

Ha Last post as I’m a newbie! Genuinely just interested in the general take on him, I get the sense he divides opinion as much as he did with us. I was more than happy to move him on the way we did.
As for who we’ve got up front that’s kind of the point for all his goals we finished 11th twice in 2 of his 4 seasons with us! He just didn’t make the impact his goal tally suggests. If Tosun and DCL scored five goals between them but were decisive goals nicking a win I’d happily take that over a bagful of late game cake toppers.
Like I said just curious to see the Utd perspective on him
For me I think he was good last season and I genuinely thought he was going to build on that and have an excellent season this year and start to become the world class player he could be. But in fact the opposite has happened and he has actually gone backwards. He looks lazy, unmotivated (his sprint stats are atrocious) and needs 3 or 4 chances to get 1 goal. I would say it's time to give Rashford or Martial a chance upfront (or even both) but I can see Lukaku taking that hard and it could have an even worse effect on him. The hope is he plays his way out of his current mood and form, but it is becoming a huge concern now.

In regards to Everton, I think Tosun can become a very good striker with the right service. I watched a fair bit of him in Turkey and he is a good striker, even if that league is considerably weaker. Calvert-Lewin is useless though. Wouldn't score in a brothel that guy.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
:lol::lol::lol:
I remember people defending him at the time we signed him when a few pointed out that he has a really bad first touch.
Also reading that Morata vs Lukaku thread is pure gold - both competing for the worst transfer of the decade :lol:
I remember multiple people saying the first touch thing is a myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.